ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Mitchell - 36 Minutes. Again.

CincyUKFan

Senior
Dec 1, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
He’s a solid player, for sure. But his play doesn’t warrant these kinds of minutes, especially with Bradshaw in the rotation. His defense is especially porous and he’s now 3/12 from deep over his last 4 games.

I don’t feel great about Bradshaw and Tre sharing the court for 32+ mpg, but that’s where this is headed.

Thiero with only 15 minutes today and the late thigh injury had very little to do with that.

+/- is the gospel to this board, and he was +16. Tied with Reed for second best today.
Well he was in for the majority of the game and we won by 15. In this case the plus/minus doesn't tell much about how he played. Which to ne honest it never does tell how well a guy plays but it CAN be an indicator for how well the team played when a certain guy plays. It is a useful stat in some instances but when a guy plays nearly the entire game in which we won by 15 its kinda useless in determinimg his impact.

Last edited:
I agree that needs to come down now that Bradshaw is back, I think it will. Take 4-6 of those minutes he is playing the small ball 5 and give them to Bradshaw. Really curious to see the small lineup with Bradshaw instead of Mitchell.
I don’t think we will get to see it much. Mitchell’s mpg climbed to over 35 after today 😫

Well he was in for the majority of the game and we won by 15.
I'm aware. I've been saying +/- is the most misleading stat in basketball for a while now. But this board loves to cherrypick stats to make their point. Just like how advanced metrics are used when people think the offense is outdated but when those same advanced metrics say the offense is actually pretty damn good it gets ignored. Everyone bitching about Reed not getting enough PT this year because his +/- is so high should also think Tre had a great game today.

Haha, seriously? There is nobody on the planet arguing Mitchell has been the best player. Not even close
He's been very good at distributing the ball from the 5 spot when we play small. One of the reasons this team has shredded zones is because you put Tre on the foul line, feed him the ball, and he's very good at finding someone for an easy and open shot. 4-1 assist to TO ration on the year.

Just don't get the Tre hate; he didn't have the world's best game today, but Edwards is not performing either. You could give a few more minutes to Adou, but he wasn't all that today either. Our 4 spot has once again become a bit of a ? mark.
Is it Tre “hate” to question why a guy gets minutes that his play, especially on the defensive side, do no warrant? Adou is statistically one of our best plus/minus guys. As evidence on the possession where he hustled for two offensive rebounds - he brings something that no one else does.

If Tre is a 30% on wide open threes - how beneficial is he? Are you impressed with his being out scored by Edwards and Thiero when they played 15 and 14 minutes, respectively?

I'm aware. I've been saying +/- is the most misleading stat in basketball for a while now. But this board loves to cherrypick stats to make their point. Just like how advanced metrics are used when people think the offense is outdated but when those same advanced metrics say the offense is actually pretty damn good it gets ignored. Everyone bitching about Reed not getting enough PT this year because his +/- is so high should also think Tre had a great game today.

The plus minus debate only applies to one player. You know that.

If Tre is a 30% on wide open threes - how beneficial is he? Are you impressed with his being out scored by Edwards and Thiero when they played 15 and 14 minutes, respectively?
Yes you should be impressed. We have enough scorers where that doesn't need to be Tre's main role. He's got the highest assist to turnover ration on the team and is pretty important to the ball movement of this team. He has been particularly good moving the ball to attack a zone.

Haha, seriously? There is nobody on the planet arguing Mitchell has been the best player. Not even close

Let’s assume it’s true “not a single person on the planet” has argued this. This is an awful way of arguing. Majority of this board also thought Dontaie Allen was an All American.

But back in reality, whether it’s termed if Mitchell is the best player or most important is a matter of semantics. Guy was a huge reason we won in OT and his ability to pull the defense to perimeter is why we were able to play how we did. He’s arguably been the best transfer in the country outside of Dickinson.

Let’s assume it’s true “not a single person on the planet” has argued this. This is an awful way of arguing. Majority of this board also thought Dontaie Allen was an All American.

But back in reality, whether it’s termed if Mitchell is the best player or most important is a matter of semantics. Guy was a huge reason we won in OT and his ability to pull the defense to perimeter is why we were able to play how we did. He’s arguably been the best transfer in the country outside of Dickinson.
I think it's really funny how we've heard all year long about Reed's intangibles and how he does things that don't show up on a stat line (which I 100% agree with) but those same arguments aren't used for Tre. Like you said, he's been very important to the spacing and ball movement on this team.

Just don't get the Tre hate; he didn't have the world's best game today, but Edwards is not performing either. You could give a few more minutes to Adou, but he wasn't all that today either. Our 4 spot has once again become a bit of a ? mark.
UK has only average forwards.
None can defend out on the court. None are strong rebounder.
None are outside scoring threats. Mitchell has played the best, but hasn't
done much since bradshaw came back. Edwards has been a disappointment thus far, and thiero hasn't been consistent and can't shoot from outside. Bradshaw played well today, but was only 1 of 3 shooting outside the paint. Would really like to see what Z could do.

Is it Tre “hate” to question why a guy gets minutes that his play, especially on the defensive side, do no warrant? Adou is statistically one of our best plus/minus guys. As evidence on the possession where he hustled for two offensive rebounds - he brings something that no one else does.

It's just getting old, that a player doesn't have a great game and we immediately just start a thread about them is all. The only player truly struggling right now is Edwards.

UK has only average forwards.
None can defend out on the court. None are strong rebounder.
None are outside scoring threats. Mitchell has played the best, but hasn't
done much since bradshaw came back. Edwards has been a disappointment thus
far, and thiero hasn't been consistent and can't shoot from outside. Bradshaw played well today, but was only 1 of 3 shooting outside the paint. Would really like to see what Z could do.
Well, we are at the mercy of the NCAA on that.

Bradshaw isn't going to be an outside threat very often. The fact he can even hit that was nice to see.

I am not hating on Tre one bit just don't see the need for the 36/38 minute games anymore. We need to try different combos to see what we have. Also don't want that kind of minutes put on him all year. What happens in round 2 if he picks up 2 fouls in 2 minutes, we need to know how to play without him.

It's just getting old, that a player doesn't have a great game and we immediately just start a thread about them is all. The only player truly struggling right now is Edwards.
Some folks have to make everything black and white with no room for any gray area.

The truth, as it always has been, is somewhere in the middle.

Well, we are at the mercy of the NCAA on that.

Bradshaw isn't going to be an outside threat very often. The fact he can even hit that was nice to see.
I don't think he will either, but playing him and Mitchell together means worse perimeter defense and less open drives to the basket. If Ugo is ready to start playing, then who will be paired with him

Reactions: RunninRichie
Should he play 36mpg? Probably not, but everyone on the team sucks on defense and his leadership and ability to distribute the ball and toughness is much needed for these young guys. This is a minor nitpick and certainly NOT a whole thread worthy..good lord.

Reactions: UKortho
I don't think he will either, but playing him and Mitchell together means worse perimeter defense and less open drives to the basket. If Ugo is ready to start playing, then who will be paired with him

Adou would be good at 4 with Ugo as long as you are running that lineup with Rob, Reed and Reeves. That puts 3 shooters on the floor. We should always have 3 guys who can shoot out there.

Rotation will start squeezing soon:

Wagner- 30
Reed- 30
Reeves- 30
Dilly- 25
Mitchell- 25
Bradshaw- 25
Thiero- 15
Edwards- 10
Ugo-10

If Edwards doesn't startaking an impact he will slide to bottom of rotation.

Mitchell opens up the floor more by being able to shoot from outside.Adou really needs to work on that.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Wow what scoring duo that will be

Will give good defense and rebound. Change of pace.

Not to mention Thiero is avg 8/7 and you have no clue how good Ugo may be now. He wasn't exactly a liability offensively last year. His per 40 was over 14ppg....and that was a year ago. The guy wasn't Lance Ware.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I would assume with the other 2 bigs now healthy his minutes should drop some. I'd like to seen some Bradshaw and Ugo at the same time vs NC next week.

He’s one of the worst defenders on the team. Gives up line drives, offensive rebounds, and wide open looks at an alarming rate.

When he and Reeves are out there together, we have two guys on the court who cannot defend.
What would make you totally happy with UK basketball? Because there’s not much I’ve seen that does.

He’s a solid player, for sure. But his play doesn’t warrant these kinds of minutes, especially with Bradshaw in the rotation. His defense is especially porous and he’s now 3/12 from deep over his last 4 games.

I don’t feel great about Bradshaw and Tre sharing the court for 32+ mpg, but that’s where this is headed.

Thiero with only 15 minutes today and the late thigh injury had very little to do with that.
Mitchell is a key player for this team. He held down the fort until some guys got healthy. UK would not be at 7-2 without him.

I don’t think it’s hate….its just saying with Bradshaw back….its Thiero that takes a haircut on minutes. Tee is a good player but he’s not great…below par rebounder is not t knock down shooter…so why not play him 28-30 minutes? That is all I say and agree with poster

Reactions: CincyUKFan
I don’t think it’s hate….its just saying with Bradshaw back….its Thiero that takes a haircut on minutes. Tee is a good player but he’s not great…below par rebounder is not t knock down shooter…so why not play him 28-30 minutes? That is all I say and agree with poster
He's 37% from 3 on the season. You'd like to give his minutes to Thiero--who shoots 17% from 3 on the season. Seems logical.

Reactions: bbncal02 and shano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT