ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Branham on Reed (and the other UK players) returning

Afraid Cal will force him to be THE point guard....which he's not. Also don't see any dazzling talent so not sure he improves that much.
But why not want him to flourish? I can understand that people expect bad things but why not want good things?

Should’ve fired him now and bring in a coach, any coach. That coach could’ve brought some players with him, maybe a recruit or two, and hit the portal hard. All of this is exactly where we are now anyway.
Mitch just put off the inevitable and should’ve done it now.

All as anyone should expect. While I’d like Adou to return, I definitely wouldn’t get in a bidding war to keep him. I also wouldn’t love committing to him as our starting 4(which is what would be fair of him to expect).

Right now I think it’s DJ(testing the process but returning), Adou, and Burks but only if he doesn’t get a good opportunity elsewhere. I’d like him back as PF3 playing approximately 350ish minutes next year as opposed to his 141 this year. Z I have no idea. He went to the combine the last 2 years and the NBA didn’t want him. Did he do enough here in less than 200 minutes to change that? I don’t think so. It’s back home or back to UK for him I’d think.

Reed leaving would open the door more for a big time SG transfer. If he comes back I think the guard transfer they get is much less spectacular(obviously would still prefer Reed).
Would Travis Perry essentially be a serviceable backup to Reed? All I heard was their games are quite similar. But I've never seen Perry play so I don't know if that's the case. Other Question is does Reed run the point next year too? Assuming he returns.

How about I don't think Reed is ready for the pros. He may go, but in my mind watching him vs bigger quicker guards, he wasnt a pro player. He really can't create his own shot well and his defense isn't pro level either.
I love the kid and hope he comes back. If not, I hope he gets with a team that can help him develop
I dunno. Seems Sheppard can create his own shot when he has to as in the last Mississippi State game and Tennessee game. He’s not fast but he’s crafty.

sone adhere to the "you can either shoot or you cant shoot" ... and you can refine and tweak ones stroke but not likely to turn a non shooter into a great one.
That being said; ive liked the look of wagners shot, looks fluid and smooth.
I think it would be hard to argue that there is not an innate skill involved in shooting. Subconsciously judging the varying distances and how much arc and force is needed, etc., is a "talent" some are undoubtedly born with more of. But I believe shooting is majorly impacted by repetition and practice. Some won't have the talent to probably ever get really good at it, and some can probably get good with half the work of another. But time and repetition is definitely the key to become a great shooter.

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
How about I don't think Reed is ready for the pros. He may go, but in my mind watching him vs bigger quicker guards, he wasnt a pro player. He really can't create his own shot well and his defense isn't pro level either.
I love the kid and hope he comes back. If not, I hope he gets with a team that can help him develop
I wonder if Reed is ready for the NBA lifestyle. Would he come back another year to rake in NIL dollars and be the home state hero. He's a small town boy from Kentucky, raised in a very Christian household. Jeff is a financial advisor and more than likely will handle Reeds finances. But that NBA lifestyle can get to some guys not ready for that spotlight. Reed still looks like a 13 year old. How long before the NBA has him all tatted up and sporting a line beard and bling. LOL. (just kidding on that last part)

Reactions: rivercatinfl
And thus lies the problem with bringing Cal back.....

1. I get Reed and Dilly going
2. I get Bradshaw and Ugo transferring....sorta but not totally
3. If Z gets NBA feedback...I can get my head around him leaving
4. But why we are losing DJ and Edwards is so silly....and they can be really good pieces to next year (regardless of how you feel they played last year). Bottomline, Boogie Fland isn't likely to be a ton better than a Sophmore DJ. And Richmond/Knox are in no way going to be better than a Sophomore Edwards.
5. Why we would even question losing Adou is just plain nonsense. He's a piece...hardly anywhere else they lose a good player that is playing and not a NBA candidate....but under Cal its' commonplace.
Im gonna hope your wrong about Fland being better than a sophmore DJ! Actually ill go one step further and expect it.

Why??? So Cal can use him to pacify some fans ego??? I hope his mind is to transfer or go pro, he would be better off if he were at a place who knew how to use him to improve his talent... Cal is a user of talent and not a developer of talent... He can't do that any longer he has lost his edge by all the NBA first crap and his mind is on showing off kid's who have a little talent and knows nothing about development...
Don't bring up what he did with so and so.... That was ten this is now... Talent can play anywhere for any coach and do the same thing as Cal..

GBB
What do you mean by "use him"? As in Play him? isn't that what we want? Don't we want Reed to come back and have the team built around him and for him to lead us to a final 4 or Championship? Are you afraid Cal making Reed the leader might make us good and we have to keep Cal around longer?

We'll see. Any kind of buy-in with the fans next year is going to depend on mass returns, and Reed is the biggest piece.

No Reed = historically low fan engagement.
No Reed and with cal still there, there really won’t be a basketball season for me next year. May watch a game here and there but highly doubt I will get invested into the season like I have every year since I was around 9 or 10 years old. Going on 56 now. Cal is just not UK basketball and I’m done pretending it is.

Reactions: delk4three
Im gonna hope your wrong about Fland being better than a sophmore DJ! Actually ill go one step further and expect it.
Boogie might be better...but it won't be a ton better. He's not an amazing shooter nor is he John Wall type athlete. So, we might need to set realistic expectations. This board did this last year imagining Bradshaw to be some stretch 4 that can face up and shoot....it was pure folly and Bradshaw never came close to the hype.

Why??? So Cal can use him to pacify some fans ego??? I hope his mind is to transfer or go pro, he would be better off if he were at a place who knew how to use him to improve his talent... Cal is a user of talent and not a developer of talent... He can't do that any longer he has lost his edge by all the NBA first crap and his mind is on showing off kid's who have a little talent and knows nothing about development...
Don't bring up what he did with so and so.... That was ten this is now... Talent can play anywhere for any coach and do the same thing as Cal..

GBB
Go outside and yell out the clouds old man. This is insanely ridiculous.

• Angry
Reactions: Ky grandpa
The only way bringing Cal back is tenable for even a portion of the fanbase is if there are impact players that return led by Reed. But it's unfair to expect Reed to come back if it's not what he wants. This is all quite the clusterf*ck that Mitch has brought upon himself and the program.

DJ likely comes back and Fland is a top 10 recruit. Reed knows if he comes back he'll be a bench player again.
Ditching Cal was the only way to bring back Sheppard.

Reed and Dilly should go without a doubt. The rest need to return. Wagner looks like a 3-4 year player. Edwards is an 8 year player.

Boogie might be better...but it won't be a ton better. He's not an amazing shooter nor is he John Wall type athlete. So, we might need to set realistic expectations. This board did this last year imagining Bradshaw to be some stretch 4 that can face up and shoot....it was pure folly and Bradshaw never came close to the hype.
Yep i remember the hype; but after watching tape on Ivisic I was telling everyone thats exactly who he is, and his past play could prove it. Wish he were more utilized this year...
If I were a conspiracy theorist, id guess cal was involved with delaying his entry as to keep Z from solidify a starting 4-5 spot. Who knows. Just stinx

I’m one of the few I guess that would love to have DJ back. He plays defense and can be a better than average three way scorer. He’s shown it. Just not enough just yet. I think a second year would pay off big.

That's true about Bradshaw. IIRC, he was the 3rd option on his HS team. Aaron's [alleged] dreams of immediately heading to the pro ranks need to be recalibrated. If he has management people advising him otherwise, he needs a new management team.

To my eyes, Fland most resembles De'Aaron Fox with maybe some Dillingham in there. In the clip below, you don't see his misses so I'm not pretending this is documentary stuff. But in it, Fland often deals with 2 defenders and sometimes 4 guys have a whack at him. Fland isn't as fast as either Fox or Dillingham. But he doesn't need to be. Mere speed is over-rated.

One of the telling aspects of the clip is the quality of the teams Fland faced. They were the best the country offered and some close to that. So he wasn't doing this stuff against questionable talent. Despair at our prospects next season, at least in regard to Fland, is just moaning to hear yourself moan.

Reed and Rob are gone baby gone, don't believe the smoke

Edwards is gone

Bradshaw for sure will transfer or try to make team

DJ should come back, he wouldn't lose any minutes and obviously needs another year or so however I'd put that at 50/50

I could see Ugo leaving due to incoming guys

Theiro is a wildcard, I'd bet he's back but wouldn't be surprised if he left

Big Z - why go back to Europe? You could have done that this year...if he doesn't get good feedback from combine then he's back

I’m one of the few I guess that would love to have DJ back. He plays defense and can be a better than average three way scorer. He’s shown it. Just not enough just yet. I think a second year would pay off big.
Boogie isn't an upgrade so DJ would be the PG if he stayed.

GBB
I don’t give a crap what you think the coaches motives are for one would just love to see Reed play another year here in the Kentucky uniform.

If Reed is gone and we have a bunch of freshmen, DJ, and maybe 1 or two other returnees who played minutes this year... who thinks we have a better result than the last 3 years? Anybody?
Depends on portal but the short answer is no...Cal is just buying time. This class isn't that great and who knows what we will get with portal guys - NIL situation hosed us last year and not much better now

Why?
1) to maximize his future earnings
2) to enjoy 1 more year of "the college experience" before having to start "adulting"
LOL maximize future earnings...WUT? One more year won't take him from #12 pick to #3 pick, his move is marginal at best and the way guys maximize earnings is getting thru the rookie contract as quickly as possible, for lottery picks that first deal is typically the worst they will ever see, the next contract could be 10x the amount..

I can't handle another year of Cal and DJ running the show. It's not good for my mental health.

Reactions: ck-2
None of these guys are ready for the pros, teams look at year 3/4 in evaluations...look at how picks progress in 2-3 years. The floor is already solid, he's only scaling from here and the NBA resources are >>>>>>>>>>>>> than any college program, kids get better quicker in NBA than college, not even debatable.

Reactions: ganner918
Any potential player who watched how DJ, Edwards, Dillingham, and Sheppard were handled would have to have reservations about coming here.

Go outside and yell out the clouds old man. This is insanely ridiculous.

What's insanely ridiculous are fans who don't care enough to see UKBB be the best it can be... That means a coach that does not lok down on the BBN or talk about them as if they are trash... If you want to be a cry baby about Cal go ahead but don't talk down to members who have had enough of this NBA crap....
Leave us old men or fans alone, if I want to lok at clouds I do not have to ask your permission...

GBB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT