ADVERTISEMENT

Trae Young quote

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
This guy.

"I'm getting guarded like nobody else in the country is being guarded, scouted on like no one else in the country. It's a mystery coming out each and every game to try and figure out how a team is going to guard me and how I'm going to dictate how my team wins. … It's a lot tougher for me to score now than it was in the beginning. ... It's a process. Right now, it's tough."

Reactions: jsirwin
Remember when we thought oh man recruits are going to see this kid and his success at OU and think oh i'll just go to whatever school will allow me to take 70 shots a game and be the man.

He's beginning to realize maybe it's not so easy to be the man.

Reactions: ukfan041
The greatest shooter ever...is really short of shooting above average but not elite like he's been made out to be.

43%FG and 37% 3PT. I know alot of the falling percentages is more shot selection and shooting ability....but he needs to stop 20+ shots every game.

The greatest shooter ever...is really short of shooting above average but not elite like he's been made out to be.

43%FG and 37% 3PT. I know alot of the falling percentages is more shot selection and shooting ability....but he needs to stop 20+ shots every game.
Tell me who you'd want to take the shots on Oklahoma, I'll wait

This guy is starting to remind me of that coaches kid you had on your team years ago.

This guy.

"I'm getting guarded like nobody else in the country is being guarded, scouted on like no one else in the country. It's a mystery coming out each and every game to try and figure out how a team is going to guard me and how I'm going to dictate how my team wins. … It's a lot tougher for me to score now than it was in the beginning. ... It's a process. Right now, it's tough."
Lots of "Me" and "I" in that quote.

If my options are taking contested 3pt shots from 25 feet with Young or working the ball as a team and trying to move guys for open shots/slashes to the basket...there is a healthier balance to winning vs. promoting one guys game.

If OU goes on to lose 3 more games in regular/Big12 and they miss NCAA...Young is 100% going NBA...what did all of that benefit OU in the end?

If my options are taking contested 3pt shots from 25 feet with Young or working the ball as a team and trying to move guys for open shots/slashes to the basket...there is a healthier balance to winning vs. promoting one guys game.

If OU goes on to lose 3 more games in regular/Big12 and they miss NCAA...Young is 100% going NBA...what did all of that benefit OU in the end?
All the publicity they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And the guy averages highest ppg and assist pregame in the NCAA idk what else you want him to do

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
To be fair, he is still averaging like 10 assists a game, so it's not as though he's failing to get others involved.

All the publicity they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And the guy averages highest ppg and assist pregame in the NCAA idk what else you want him to do
You're probably right that Oklahoma gets more publicity and they'll get to see in NBA hopefully doing amazing things on that stage....but the constant shooting/ball in his hands the entire game (and he's a really brutal defensive player that gets no mention to his defincies)...it isn't making OU better.

If he went somewhere to be a part of a team of talented players it wouldn't be so hard for him. When you are the only real option on your team you will get focused on more. Even if you aren't focused on as much it is hard for one player to beat a good team. How many times have we played against high scoring guys who still lost regardless of their contributions? Didn't David Robinson have like 45-14-10 and still lost by double digits to an unranked Kentucky team? I think Pistol Pete averaged 50+ in 6 games against us and lost them all I believe. Maybe these players who want to be "the guy" should think more about being a part of a talented team instead.

Reactions: Cawood86
Well yeah, but itit a problem OU created by allowing one guy to be your entire offense.
How are we supposed to name another player on a team like OU that plays in a different conference and has one guy that dominates the ball like Young does?
It was just a matter of time before good coaches figured out a way to take Young away.
Lon Kruger should have figured out a way to create a more team oriented style on offense instead of feeding the fire when it was hot.
He has been around a long time, he should have prepared for this.

The medias over-hyped version of Lonzo. IMO, He's a good player on an average team.

Young is a special talent. I think most everybody would agree with that, right? Put Young in the right situation, with him being amenable to coaching (and I don't know that he isn't by the way), and him having as his only goal the team being its best and winning, and who wouldn't love having that guy?

But, the question I have is: Given how Young is allowed to play - completely dominating the ball and pretty frequently throwing up wild flings on heavily contested shots - Is OU a better team because he's on the roster? I'm not at all sure the answer is yes.

To me, it's very hard to say that Young doesn't have any help - when the possible help isn't given any opportunity.

Their next game is at Kansas, which will probably make six straight losses and NINE losses in their last eleven games. They shouldn't even be in the tournament.

Exactly. Get Christian the ball more as that kid is good also. Trae is a little bitch . Always has been . Kid is talented but I never was mad when he went to OU and still am not. His personality on this team would not of worked. But to be fair we wouldn't of gotten a few of the guys we did if he was here as no one likes that kid .

Yeah he missed 20 3's in a row and is like 19% their last five games too. Ugh

Three of the other starters went 3 for 13, 4 for 13 and 1 for 6, so there is the root of his frustration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT