ADVERTISEMENT

I know how I'm going to get sucked into believing......

St.PatterSoN-54-

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Look, I know that defense wins championships. Traditionally, no teams north of the 30-40 range in defensive rankings go anywhere in the big dance.

But most teams don't have the kind of offensive firepower that this team has.

Maybe we just say "to hell with defense" and try to score more than everyone else.

I'm down for it, because against better teams it's clear we can't guard a lightpost.

GO CATS.

The version of this strategy that makes sense to me is the one Cal will never do - run a zone defense. It’ll save our guys’ legs to focus on scoring 100 every game and take away the straight-line layups that have killed us. If a team beats us from behind the arc, fine.

But it will never happen. Certainly not with enough consistency for the players to get any good at running the zone.

Look, I know that defense wins championships. Traditionally, no teams north of the 30-40 range in defensive rankings go anywhere in the big dance.

Maybe we just say "to hell with defense" and try to score more than everyone else.

I'm down for it, because against better teams it's clear we can't guard a lightpost.

GO CATS.
You’re now banned from “Its game day” posts. Didn’t do it before Vandy and we win. You down?

Defense can be fixed, fairly quickly, with just following basic instructions, paying attention and putting in effort. Offense is much harder to teach.

That's at least what I'm telling myself lol.

Do three things: 1. stop biting on pump fakes 2. don't lose your man for more than a second. 3. Go for rebounds.

That's it, just do those three things, which to me, are mostly just effort-based actions (as opposed to "Shoot the ball better". something much more skill driven), and we will clean up a ton of our defensive issues.

it would take an incredible streak of luck.

I asked this earlier in the year but has any school that lead the NCAA in scoring won the title in recent memory

and if the answer is yes, would we also know their defensive numbers?

I would prefer this team not emulate Grinnell College

Defense can be fixed, fairly quickly, with just following basic instructions, paying attention and putting in effort. Offense is much harder to teach.

Do three things: 1. stop biting on pump fakes 2. don't lose your man for more than a second. 3. Go for rebounds.

That's it, just do those three things, which to me, are mostly just effort-based actions (as opposed to "Shoot the ball better". something much more skill driven), and we will clean up a ton of our defensive issues.
Exactly. We have the size and speed to be a good defensive team. Just need to work on the effort, focus, and strategy, which are all mental.

The biting on pump fakes drives me nuts. There are times we have two guys biting at the same time. The Florida guy even said something like those young guys were biting on everything.

I did have a little hope on it last night. There was one that Reed bit on hard. Someone must’ve got in his ear, because later he just went up with one hand and stayed in position. It was one of those proud moments haha

deathbed might be a bit of an overstatement

there is no debate the program is nowhere near where it needs to be and even the most casual observer can see that. That isn't just zealot fan expectations.

I remember Barnhart being quoted in an article when Tubby was coach saying that an 8 seed going into the tournament isn't UK standards (Tubby's last year, IIRC)

The version of this strategy that makes sense to me is the one Cal will never do - run a zone defense. It’ll save our guys’ legs to focus on scoring 100 every game and take away the straight-line layups that have killed us. If a team beats us from behind the arc, fine.

But it will never happen. Certainly not with enough consistency for the players to get any good at running the zone.
At least mix it in for a change of pace.

GO CATS.
There is no logic in your thinking. You don't think we have tried to outscore the 6 teams that already beat us? Not to mention we will take additional losses. We can't just flip a switch when the tourney starts and start outscoring every team without playing some meaningful defense in the games. The tourney is also going to be the best of the best and so far we don't have a good record with the top teams. Even when the game is at our gym.

Yeah but he said it as a joke. "Call it a tweak if you want." And he had that mischievous look.
He wasn’t joking. He didn’t tweak anything he just like saying that he did.

If Edwards sucks next game Cal will say he got away from the tweak lol

Reactions: FiveStarCat
The version of this strategy that makes sense to me is the one Cal will never do - run a zone defense.
What are UK's two biggest weaknesses? Rebounding and giving up the 3.

What are the two biggest weaknesses of the zone defense. Rebounding and giving up the 3.

The zone had its day when players were smaller and blocking out wasn't so easy. And when players shot worse. Now, everybody practices the 3 because there's a 1 point premium for making it.

GO CATS.
Didn't work against Florida or Tennessee

He wasn’t joking. He didn’t tweak anything he just like saying that he did.

If Edwards sucks next game Cal will say he got away from the tweak lol
It was a joke. I watched it. It was a jab and joke as saying, “I know you like to make fun of me when I say tweak, so have at it.” Def was a joke. Perception is all we have though.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
We have more raw talent than anyone in the country. I don't think that's even disputable at this point.

I think we can all agree Cal is past his best. Whether he's full blown Yesterday's Man or just in a slow, steady decline is up for debate. Can we get enough competency out of him for this team to make a deep March run? Recent history says probably not but can't fault anyone for holding out hope.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
The D can be improved with 3 easy adjustments, one they did last night.

Zone the underneath OOB - we have given up way, way too many point on dunks and layups.

Stop biting on EVERY pump fake. Get a hand in their line of vision and stay down.

Quit sagging so far off your man to the paint. We give up so many 3s by just drifting to far away. This also leads to the fly by on pump fakes.

Reactions: gbl97
We have more raw talent than anyone in the country. I don't think that's even disputable at this point.

I think we can all agree Cal is past his best. Whether he's full blown Yesterday's Man or just in a slow, steady decline is up for debate. Can we get enough competency out of him for this team to make a deep March run? Recent history says probably not but can't fault anyone for holding out hope.
Well said. If we can just get 80% of Cal from his heyday, it might be enough to make a run. Feels like he’s hovering around 30% recently though

Reactions: CatsnRoses

GO CATS.
Why put yourself thru that, we might find a team or two that likes to run, then you draw Virginia or Houston who play tight defense, we need to match their effort on defense as well. I agree, nobody has our firepower

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

GO CATS.
No defense will get you beat in the first week of the NCAAT...did you not see the KU, TN, A & M, FL games? Plus, decent teams or even poor teams can shut down offense i. e. ARK USC. Winning anything without defense and rebounding is simply living in fantasy land.

No defense will get you beat in the first week of the NCAAT...did you not see the KU, TN, A & M, FL games? Plus, decent teams or even poor teams can shut down offense i. e. ARK USC. Winning anything without defense and rebounding is simply living in fantasy land.
That's actually the basis of my post. I didn't say I believe it will work. I think that Cal will once again dash my hopes on the rocks with his ridiculous stubborn approach.

If you can't play man to man you sure want be able to play a good zone. Most coaches will tell you they play zone to hide a poor defensive liability, UK has to many liabilities at guard especially.

I do think trying to outscore teams is our best bet but it would be nice to play solid defense. I say if we can average holding teams to 80 a game we won’t lose probably.

I guess the tweak this year is to pull every guy who messes up out of the game, put your hands on their shoulders and tell them "bad boy, you're still on the draft board" and then put them right back in the game. Except for the guys who aren't slated to be drafted. Those guys he just tells them "start coughing".

Reactions: ukjenning44

GO CATS.
Not

GO CATS.
Won't work you know that.
Some mid major senior led team of 3 stars will beat them round 2. They will run the shot clock down limit UKs possessions and a 6 foot guard will take UKs guards to the basket as the shot clock runs down.
They must improve defensively. I think they can just be average to even slightly below average on defense and make a tournament run. But they can't be terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT