ADVERTISEMENT

Top your Hot Dog...

UK_Dallas

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2015
Dallas
You can only have one type of hot dog for the rest of your life. How are you dressing it?

I'm simple:

Bun
100% beef frank right of the roasting fork*
Mustard line on both sides of the bun

iStock-454131729.jpg

Those are about 10-15 seconds from being perfect.

If they’re Nathan’s, grilled bun, cooked to the first sign of a burn blister. I’ll substitute Wavy Lays for the topping.

It’s far from gourmet but there’s something special about a hot dog that’s served like this, steamed so much the dog and bun are melting together, and on the 1/4 lb ones throws the ratio off.

Add a squirt of nacho cheese and you’ve got a delicacy.
71Y9dDppDbL.jpg

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Carolina is #1 - Mustard, onions, chili, slaw
Cincy Style is #2 - just sub the slaw for cheese above
Kraut style is #3 - Onions, kraut, spicy mustard

Reactions: GeraldV
If they’re Nathan’s, grilled bun, cooked to the first sign of a burn blister. I’ll substitute Wavy Lays for the topping.
I can dig it. I used to put lays on my bologna. Same thing really. Speaking of bologna, take it to the next level and smoke a log of it.

All true worldly hotdog connoisseurs know the answer to this question... the little white hot dog carts across the border in Mexico that sell bacon wrapped hotdogs with salsa and mustard on them. New York likes to pretend but that is BS. No hotdog anywhere tops these:

3371356529_2c082096c0_b.jpg

0c21c962d03938bb09234ca702ced860.jpg

Last edited:
Nathan's dog
Mustard
Diced onion
Sweet relish

Option 2 would substitute the onion and relish with sauerkraut

Reactions: ACCat#23
1. German style with mustard (spicy brown, regular, etc) and sauerkraut.
2. Backyard BBQ style with mustard and maybe ketchup.
3. "The Works" - meat sauce, onions and mustard (an upstate NY staple).
4. Chicago style with a pickle and Sonora style are also great if you can find them..

Lots of little wiener stands around me. But my favorite will always be Gus' hotdogs. I mean just look at this dive.

0811111223.jpg

AgAiE71sNcUPv_H0bCI8a8UFXig8yRY-h8nOCIbVFiQ.jpg

Reactions: J_Dee
You can only have one type of hot dog for the rest of your life. How are you dressing it?

I'm simple:

Bun
100% beef frank right of the roasting fork*
Mustard line on both sides of the bun

iStock-454131729.jpg

Those are about 10-15 seconds from being perfect.
You nailed it, buddy!

Reactions: UK_Dallas
Reactions: WildcatFan1982
This, and add a crap ton of kraut and dill pickle relish. And a little Sri Racha. And a few sport peppers.
Love kraut. About the closest you will get to authentic german kraut is sold at Aldis. Can't remember the name but its like a blue checkered label. It's a tad creamier than the stuff in bags or cans. It's great.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I'd try any of those but there's definitely a few that I don't think I'd like -- the Seattle, Colombia, Sweden, Idaho, Hawaii, and a few others.

Amsterdam looks best. XD

Cream cheese on a hot dog does not sound good.

But I’d try it. Shoot that sounds like a fun idea for a restaurant. Hot dogs from around the world

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT