ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Kentucky WRs

Apr 14, 2024
I’d like to know your opinion on who the top 5 wide receivers are in Kentucky history. Use any metric or qualifications you’d like. I’m only choosing players that I’ve seen in person or live on tv. The eye test and raw talent were factored in for me.

1. Craig Yeast - 1st in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns all time. There’s no realistic argument for anybody else as #1. He played in a very WR friendly system but that doesn’t negate his greatness. GOAT!

2. Derek Abney - 2nd in receptions and 3rd in rec yards and touchdowns. He was absolutely electric and made punt returns an art form. Team success was somewhat lacking but that wasn’t his fault.

3. Keenan Burton - 4th in receptions and 2nd in rec yards and touchdowns. Part of the group that revitalized the program after some lean years. Outstanding hands and athletic enough to go up high and snatch it.

4. Randall Cobb - Top 10 in all the relevant stats but never put up gaudy numbers. Just a badass football player. Strong and intelligent. He was dangerous no matter where he was on the field. Probably the most talented WR ever for the Cats. The fact that he grew up in the Vols back yard makes his success even sweeter. If I was building a team and could only choose one of these guys it would be Cobb.

5. Wan’Dale Robinson - This one was tough. Only played one year but he did some damage in that one. 104 receptions in one season? Ridiculous. That’s 20 more than Yeasts best season. Everybody knew the ball was going to Robinson nearly every passing play and he still found ways to get open. Can you imagine what numbers he would’ve put up with Levis in two or three years?

Honorable mentions: Lynn Bowden, Dicky Lyons, Garrett Johnson, LaRod King (I’d forgotten about him but he ranks pretty highly in WR stats)

We’ve also got a couple (Key and Brown) on the roster right now that have a chance to move onto the list. They’ve still got work to do and I’m excited to see how they finish out their time as Wildcats.

So who do you have?

I’d like to know your opinion on who the top 5 wide receivers are in Kentucky history. Use any metric or qualifications you’d like. I’m only choosing players that I’ve seen in person or live on tv. The eye test and raw talent were factored in for me.

1. Craig Yeast - 1st in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns all time. There’s no realistic argument for anybody else as #1. He played in a very WR friendly system but that doesn’t negate his greatness. GOAT!

2. Derek Abney - 2nd in receptions and 3rd in rec yards and touchdowns. He was absolutely electric and made punt returns an art form. Team success was somewhat lacking but that wasn’t his fault.

3. Keenan Burton - 4th in receptions and 2nd in rec yards and touchdowns. Part of the group that revitalized the program after some lean years. Outstanding hands and athletic enough to go up high and snatch it.

4. Randall Cobb - Top 10 in all the relevant stats but never put up gaudy numbers. Just a badass football player. Strong and intelligent. He was dangerous no matter where he was on the field. Probably the most talented WR ever for the Cats. The fact that he grew up in the Vols back yard makes his success even sweeter. If I was building a team and could only choose one of these guys it would be Cobb.

5. Wan’Dale Robinson - This one was tough. Only played one year but he did some damage in that one. 104 receptions in one season? Ridiculous. That’s 20 more than Yeasts best season. Everybody knew the ball was going to Robinson nearly every passing play and he still found ways to get open. Can you imagine what numbers he would’ve put up with Levis in two or three years?

Honorable mentions: Lynn Bowden, Dicky Lyons, Garrett Johnson, LaRod King (I’d forgotten about him but he ranks pretty highly in WR stats)

We’ve also got a couple (Key and Brown) on the roster right now that have a chance to move onto the list. They’ve still got work to do and I’m excited to see how they finish out their time as Wildcats.

So who do you have?
Good list but I'd move Cobb/WR up the list, probably to 2 and 3 respectively. As a geezer myself, I'd throw in Tom Hutchinson from by-gone years. Member of the notorious Thin Thirty, 3 time All SEC/2 time All American and a #1 draft pick(Cleveland). Not as sexy as the others but a great UK player on teams that didn't throw a lot.

Yeah its a shame Wandale just had the one year here for us to enjoy but he was a top three talent. Joker Phillips wasnt bad either. If we're including TEs James Whalen has to be in the list somewhere.
Whalen was an All American. He was a beast.
Garret Johnson was pretty good for us. Stat wise he's outside of Yeast, Burton, and Abney. Dicky Lyons Jr probably had the best hands of them all. At least what I've seen.

So who do you have?
Yeast is THE best I ever seen. Tamme the best pass catching TE ever seen. Robinson was great his one year here. Would have to think a lot about 2-5. Burbidge and Burton were both extremely good off the top of my head. Johnson was pretty tough. You may be right on Abney number 2. Agree with Cobb also.

Most of Abney receptions were screens. Still think Wandale is a better overall receiver

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Just here to drop Stevie Johnson because he's my all time favorite UKFB player. Wandale is close.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Who’s a better kick returner Barion Brown or Derrick Abney? How do their stats compare?

Last edited:
Screens?

Like this one?

Hey, Wan’Dale had a few, and there is no source showing Abney had more.
I attended every game that Abney played and he didn’t have the skills of Wandale. Wandale was 2nd round pick and has been productive in NFL. Abney was 7th pick and didn’t stick around. Abney was elite returner. Wandale elite WR and pretty good returner.

Best punt return. Abney.
Best kickoff return Abney or Yeast. Yeast's KO return against Florida in Gainesville was amazing.
Meant to say Brown or Yeast. Not Abney. He is #3 on the list

Stevie Johnson has to be mentioned

Was the fourth UK receiver to ever have a 1000 yard season and 2nd on the single season touchdown list with 13 in 2007

Also had three consecutive 1000 yard seasons in the NFL

And forever changed the way wrs ran routes. He was extremely influential even beyond his very nice stats.

I'd have him on the list instead of abney. Abney was amazing on special teams but just an ok wr.

Best punt return. Abney.
Best kickoff return Abney or Yeast. Yeast's KO return against Florida in Gainesville was amazing.
Not trying to argue, but Brown already has more KO TD’s than either Yeast or Abney. Yeast had 3 in 4 years. Abney had 2 in 4 years.

Brown got robbed of one against Ole Miss in 2022…his own teammate tripped him!

So who do you have?

1. Cobb (All American, left early)

2. Yeast (career UK leader)

3. Bowden (WR-QB, left early)

4. Abney

5. Wandale

I saw all of them and these are the top 5. Yeast had the benefit of playing with Couch. Burton was very good but had a hard time staying healthy. Rick Kestner was a good one, too. Before he is done, Barion Brown will be right up there with our best. Jimmy Whelan was outstanding, but he was not a WR.

Last edited:
Quentin Mcord and Jacob Tamme should be on list before Robinson IMO, if you want to disqualify Tamme because he is a tight end, how about Dickey Lyons

Wow surprised we all forgot to mention him. What an interesting point of discussion. He was really good as a wr but are we letting his unbelievable performance at QB skew our opinion of him as a wr? Maybe but I don't care because he literally saved an entire season.

Even with all that, I still think he's #6 on the list.

Screens?

Like this one?

Hey, Wan’Dale had a few, and there is no source showing Abney had more.
The juke that Wandale makes at the 27 yard line was sick on that play. Between him and Bowden, they just had that wiggle where they could move their bodies without slowing down -- or basically stop, change direction, and then start on a dime. The two were ridiculously hard to tackle in the open field.

So who do you have?
Can't quibble with your list.

Because the subject is as a "Wide Receiver," not as a returner.

Some talk of return abilities has erupted, but the OP and responses are listing the wide receivers in believed quality.
True, but Abney was an excellent, highly productive clutch receiver in addition to being a dangerous returner. Abney left UK with the second-most receiving yards in program history up to that time.

Yeast is THE best I ever seen. Tamme the best pass catching TE ever seen. Robinson was great his one year here. Would have to think a lot about 2-5. Burbidge and Burton were both extremely good off the top of my head. Johnson was pretty tough. You may be right on Abney number 2. Agree with Cobb also.
No offense to you or Tamme, but it sounds like you never saw James Whalen play TE for us. He’s our best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT