ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Kentucky WRs

We must not have played football before the ninety's

Who’s a better kick returner Barion Brown or Derrick Abney? How do their stats compare?
Noticed that Brown is tied with one other guy at a smaller college that is not nearly as good as Brown as THE fastest player in college. Mentioned how he can cut better than anyone without losing any speed.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I’d like to know your opinion on who the top 5 wide receivers are in Kentucky history. Use any metric or qualifications you’d like. I’m only choosing players that I’ve seen in person or live on tv. The eye test and raw talent were factored in for me.

1. Craig Yeast - 1st in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns all time. There’s no realistic argument for anybody else as #1. He played in a very WR friendly system but that doesn’t negate his greatness. GOAT!

2. Derek Abney - 2nd in receptions and 3rd in rec yards and touchdowns. He was absolutely electric and made punt returns an art form. Team success was somewhat lacking but that wasn’t his fault.

3. Keenan Burton - 4th in receptions and 2nd in rec yards and touchdowns. Part of the group that revitalized the program after some lean years. Outstanding hands and athletic enough to go up high and snatch it.

4. Randall Cobb - Top 10 in all the relevant stats but never put up gaudy numbers. Just a badass football player. Strong and intelligent. He was dangerous no matter where he was on the field. Probably the most talented WR ever for the Cats. The fact that he grew up in the Vols back yard makes his success even sweeter. If I was building a team and could only choose one of these guys it would be Cobb.

5. Wan’Dale Robinson - This one was tough. Only played one year but he did some damage in that one. 104 receptions in one season? Ridiculous. That’s 20 more than Yeasts best season. Everybody knew the ball was going to Robinson nearly every passing play and he still found ways to get open. Can you imagine what numbers he would’ve put up with Levis in two or three years?

Honorable mentions: Lynn Bowden, Dicky Lyons, Garrett Johnson, LaRod King (I’d forgotten about him but he ranks pretty highly in WR stats)

We’ve also got a couple (Key and Brown) on the roster right now that have a chance to move onto the list. They’ve still got work to do and I’m excited to see how they finish out their time as Wildcats.

So who do you have?
Great list. You gotta add Stevie Johnson to the honorable mention list. UK has had 6 players gain a 1,000 yards in one season. One of those players was a TE, James Whalen. Stevie is also one of those players.

Ironically, I loved watching Bowden playing other than WR ... QB, PR and KOR.

And yes, Kid and Play (Key and Brown) have a chance to be the best duo ever. Up there with Cobb/Matthews/King, Burton/Johnson/Lyons, and Johnson/Baker/Timmons

I’d like to know your opinion on who the top 5 wide receivers are in Kentucky history. Use any metric or qualifications you’d like. I’m only choosing players that I’ve seen in person or live on tv. The eye test and raw talent were factored in for me.

1. Craig Yeast - 1st in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns all time. There’s no realistic argument for anybody else as #1. He played in a very WR friendly system but that doesn’t negate his greatness. GOAT!

2. Derek Abney - 2nd in receptions and 3rd in rec yards and touchdowns. He was absolutely electric and made punt returns an art form. Team success was somewhat lacking but that wasn’t his fault.

3. Keenan Burton - 4th in receptions and 2nd in rec yards and touchdowns. Part of the group that revitalized the program after some lean years. Outstanding hands and athletic enough to go up high and snatch it.

4. Randall Cobb - Top 10 in all the relevant stats but never put up gaudy numbers. Just a badass football player. Strong and intelligent. He was dangerous no matter where he was on the field. Probably the most talented WR ever for the Cats. The fact that he grew up in the Vols back yard makes his success even sweeter. If I was building a team and could only choose one of these guys it would be Cobb.

5. Wan’Dale Robinson - This one was tough. Only played one year but he did some damage in that one. 104 receptions in one season? Ridiculous. That’s 20 more than Yeasts best season. Everybody knew the ball was going to Robinson nearly every passing play and he still found ways to get open. Can you imagine what numbers he would’ve put up with Levis in two or three years?

Honorable mentions: Lynn Bowden, Dicky Lyons, Garrett Johnson, LaRod King (I’d forgotten about him but he ranks pretty highly in WR stats)

We’ve also got a couple (Key and Brown) on the roster right now that have a chance to move onto the list. They’ve still got work to do and I’m excited to see how they finish out their time as Wildcats.

So who do you have?
I just want to say I love your username 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT