ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 Horror Films of all time

michaeluk26

Senior
Feb 15, 2013
I don't know how many love horror on here so giving it a shot.

1. The Exorcist traumatized me for weeks as I watched it way too young.

2. 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street, although my favourite horror film, made me afraid to go to sleep for years.

3. Original Terminator. That was a horror film just as much as anything.

I don't know how many love horror on here so giving it a shot.

1. The Exorcist traumatized me for weeks as I watched it way too young.

2. 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street, although my favourite horror film, made me afraid to go to sleep for years.

3. Original Terminator. That was a horror film just as much as anything.
Saw The Exorcist when I was 11 or 12, and only a few minutes of it at that. Couldn’t sleep for a month.

The Exorcist hands down should be #1 in anyone's list. It traumatized me for a night like no other movie did.

My personal preferences for the rest are as tollows:

2. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What a gritty movie. I loved how they shot it. And truly just really fu**ed up.
3. The original Halloween.

I’d say The Shining is more of a thriller.

tenor.gif

My three favorites are The Thing, Hellraiser (though I despise all the sequels 'cause I like the Cenobites better as plot devices than actual characters), and Aliens.

Sam Raimi, John Carpenter, and Wes Craven are probably my three favorite horror directors.

Fun random useless fact: Tommy Lee Wallace, who directed the original It, Fright Night 2, Halloween 3, some Twilight Zone episodes, and some other notable horror stuff, is a Kentucky native, from Somerset. [smoke]

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908890/

1. Exorcist
2. Halloween
3. The Ring
4. The Omen
5. Amityville Horror
6. Nightmare on Elm Street

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
#1 The Thing.. and that's easy. After that it gets tricky, I'd need a few bourbons and doobs to really figure it out. I have to imagine The Exorcist and Halloween will be a lot of people's picks.. and they are certainly the most influential.

In the mix for me: Aliens, The Lighthouse, The Witch, You're Next, Black Christmas, Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, The Shining, Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Hereditary, and im sure dozens Im missing.

Not a lot of "hot takes" in here.. most of us seem to be in agreement.

Here's a hot take though: Rob Zombie and his films blow. All of them. He's a one-trick pony relying on his "hillbilly sleaze" in every film. They aren't just bad horror films.. they are some of the worst movies I've seen.

Here's a hot take though: Rob Zombie and his films blow. All of them. He's a one-trick pony relying on his "hillbilly sleaze" in every film. They aren't just bad horror films.. they are some of the worst movies I've seen.

I totally agree. I enjoy Charles Band movies and I can't sit through a Rob Zombie flick. XD

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
1. Frankenstein 1931
2. The Bride Of Frankenstein 1935
2. The Exorcist 1973 (tie)
3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956
3. The Omen 1976 (tie)

Did anyone else watch Commander USA's Groovie Movies on USA in the '80s? He mostly hosted old horror movies. To put it politely, the show didn't exactly represent the best the genre has to offer, but it introduced me to a lot of hidden gems, like Night of the Creeps and The Children (the star of that particular piece of work, Gil Rogers, is from Lexington).

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/commander-usas-groovie-movies/allseasons/official

39118607_2141724095857465_3255656330731454464_n.jpg

Scream
Cabin in the Woods
Halloween (original)

Bonus selection: Hatchet

Love many others, but these are my favorites.

Last edited:
My three favorites are The Thing, Hellraiser (though I despise all the sequels 'cause I like the Cenobites better as plot devices than actual characters), and Aliens.

Sam Raimi, John Carpenter, and Wes Craven are probably my three favorite horror directors.

Fun random useless fact: Tommy Lee Wallace, who directed the original It, Fright Night 2, Halloween 3, some Twilight Zone episodes, and some other notable horror stuff, is a Kentucky native, from Somerset. [smoke]

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908890/

Agree on Tommy Lee Wallace. Big fan and believe he and John Carpenter met up at WKU and that's how their connection started. Over the years Halloween III has went from a movie that I couldn't stand to one of my very favorites in the horror genre. I think that take has become commonplace for many in the horror community. It was simply a case of poor marketing upon release and just took time for most to be able to appreciate it.

Reactions: J_Dee
Not a lot of "hot takes" in here.. most of us seem to be in agreement.

I would agree, though the only films of his I have cared to try to see were his terrible Halloween movies. His version of H2 is definitely in the running for worst movie I've ever seen. That was a mess of a movie.

Have you fans of The Exorcist movies seen William Blatty's The Ninth Configuration? I hadn't even heard of it until this year and haven't seen it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081237/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk2

William Peter Blatty has said that he considers this movie to be the true sequel to The Exorcist (1973) as opposed to a mere follow-up. The novel and film of "The Exorcist" deals with the existence of both good and evil, "The Ninth Configuration" deals with the mystery of good, and the third novel, "Legion", deals with the human's punishment of evil for original sin. Captain Cutshaw is the same astronaut whom Regan warns "You're gonna die up there" in "The Exorcist" book.

Why do people pay hard earned money for someone to show them scary stuff?
Isn't real life scary enough?

It's not just about scares. A lot of horror films have genuinely great stories and characters (some of which have become major American myth, like Fred Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Jaws, etc.), and a lot feature clever (and not-so-clever) social commentary (Romero's zombie films, Cronenberg movies like The Fly and Videodrome, Get Out, Candyman, etc.). And a lot are fun to watch because of how bad they are (Plan 9, The Howling II, most Full Moon movies, etc.), or because of historical value -- to see how special effects and standards of violence and other adult content have changed throughout the decades, for example.

Reactions: UKvisitor
It's not just about scares. A lot of horror films have genuinely great stories and characters (some of which have become major American myth, like Fred Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Jaws, etc.), and a lot feature clever (and not-so-clever) social commentary (Romero's zombie films, Cronenberg movies like The Fly and Videodrome, Get Out, Candyman, etc.). And a lot are fun to watch because of how bad they are (Plan 9, The Howling II, most Full Moon movies, etc.), or because of historical value -- to see how special effects and standards of violence and other adult content have changed throughout the decades, for example.
The only thing I get from scary movies is Evil is out there and don't be stupid when things get scary.
Heroe movies is more my thing. Someone saves someone.
Those movies inspire me how I Could react in situations needing some one to do something

Scary movies want to make you hide.

Last edited:
I wish i had an answer.. horror movies scare the crap out of me and for some reason, my brain keeps bringing me back.

Why do people drive fast or go on roller coasters?

I wish i had an answer.. horror movies scare the crap out of me and for some reason, my brain keeps bringing me back.

Why do people drive fast or go on roller coasters?

Or get a lot of tattoos?

Or love spicy things?

They are all forms of adrenaline rushes and adrenaline junkies can never get enough...

The Thing (1982)
The Shining (1980)
Alien (1979)

I have to pop these into the DVD player every year, or so. Frankly, I don't think I'd change a single scene in any of them, even after all these years.
My exact three as well, and I also watch them at least once a year.

Reactions: dezyDeco
The Changeling with George C. Scott. Bad acting but that's what makes a good horror flick.

People sleeping on some classics. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is hands down #1.

The thing about horror is if it feels like it could happen in real life and you watch it, scares the crap out of you.

#1 TCM- Original
#2 House of 1000 Corpses
#3. Devil's Rejects (tempted to put #1 because of one scene and don't even want to post it....)

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdaddy741
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT