ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Best UK players under Cal

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
No NBA stuff, sheer UK performance, accolades and intangibles.

Qualifier is they were a double digit scorer....one exception is Willie because well...no explanation needed.

List below of 48 players who've scored in double digits for a season at UK. Believe I eliminated overlap from season 1, 2, 3, etc.

My 25 are in bold.

Shout out to @Fox2monk for idea!

'10- Wall Cousins Patterson Bledsoe
'11- Knight Jones Lamb Miller
'12- Davis MKG Teague
'13- Noel Goodwin Poythress Wiltjer
'14- Randle Young Andrew Aaron
'15- KAT Booker WCS*
'16- Murray Ulis
'17- Monk Fox Bam Briscoe
'18- Knox SGA PJ Diallo
'19- Keldon Herro Travis
'20- IQ Richards Maxey Hagans
'21- Mintz Boston Sarr Brooks
'22- Oscar TyTy Grady Wheeler

Tier 1- Top 5
1. Davis
2. Wall
3. Oscar
4. Randle
5. WCS

Tier 2- 6-10
6. Ulis
7. Knight
8. Monk
9. Murray
10. Boogie

Tier 3- 11-15
11. MKG
12. KAT
13. Fox
14. PJ
15. IQ

Tier 4- 16-20
16. SGA
17. Jones
18. Bam
19. Noel
20. Lamb

Tier 5- 21-25
21. Maxey
22. Herro
23. Andrew
24. Richards
25. Aaron

Would love to see how you rate these guys 1-25 or if you disagree with Top 25 I've selected.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix and Fox2monk

Qualifier is they were a double digit scorer....one exception is Willie because well...no explanation needed.

List below of 48 players who've scored in double digits for a season at UK. Believe I eliminated overlap from season 1, 2, 3, etc.

My 25 are in bold.

'12- Davis MKG Teague
'15- KAT Booker WCS*
'16- Murray Ulis
'18- Knox SGA PJ Diallo
'19- Keldon Herro Travis

Tier 1- Top 5
1. Davis
2. Wall
3. Oscar
4. Randle
5. WCS

Tier 2- 6-10
6. Ulis
7. Knight
8. Monk
9. Murray
10. Boogie

Tier 3- 11-15
11. MKG
12. KAT
13. Fox
14. PJ
15. IQ

Tier 4- 16-20
16. SGA
17. Jones
18. Bam
19. Noel
20. Lamb

Tier 5- 21-25
21. Maxey
22. Herro
23. Andrew
24. Richards
25. Aaron

Would love to see how you rate these guys 1-25 or if you disagree with Top 25 I've selected.

Fwiw I think the first thing someone may bring up is Knight above Ulis.
It’s a hard rank anyway you do it but my biggest gripe would be Jones in Tier 4. He’s easily Tier 2 with his personal stats and 2x Final four + NC. I think Lamb and Jones are the two who transcend personal stats only, even though both were major parts of two teams.

If we’re talking sheer UK performance you gotta have Lamb in the top 5. I know that sounds crazy but he’s literally the best 3PT % shooter in UK history, played for 2 seasons where he went to final four and then championship, and basically won us the championship game in 12 by scoring 20+ but no one really mentions it. His career FOR UK was light years better than Murray though Murray was more talented and was on a worse team. Same with Terrence Jones.

WCS also decided to zone out and do chalk paint on the sidewalk during the Wisconsin game so no clue how he’s in top 5.

It’s a hard rank anyway you do it but my biggest gripe would be Jones in Tier 4. He’s easily Tier 2 with his personal stats and 2x Final four + NC. I think Lamb and Jones are the two who transcend personal stats only, even though both were major parts of two teams.

That is fair for sure. It gets hard to do once you start going through the Top 10 or so.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If we’re talking sheer UK performance you gotta have Lamb in the top 5. I know that sounds crazy but he’s literally the best 3PT % shooter in UK history, played for 2 seasons where he went to final four and then championship, and basically won us the championship game in 12 by scoring 20+ but no one really mentions it. His career FOR UK was light years better than Murray though Murray was more talented and was on a worse team. Same with Terrence Jones.

WCS also decided to zone out and do chalk paint on the sidewalk during the Wisconsin game so no clue how he’s in top 5.

I may have Lamb too low, that is fair. No way he is Top 5.

Lamb also had a huge benefit of the players that surrounded him. Not trying to take credit away from him....but he played Davis, MKG, Jones, Knight, Miller...better teams than Murray had for sure.

Also, Murray made 113 three's in a year shooting 41%. Better passer, rebounder, defender, etc.

Ron- drop your attitude

I may have Lamb too low, that is fair. No way he is Top 5.
Lamb also had a huge benefit of the teams that surrounded him. Not trying to take credit away from him....but he played Davis, MKG, Jones, Knight, Miller...better teams than Murray had for sure.

Also, Murray made 113 three's in a year shooting 41%. Better passer, rebounder, defender, etc.

Ron- drop your attitude

I mean Murray was like 2/10 against Indiana and played like ass in the NCAA tournament. Who cares if he shot lights out at Mississippi State? Same with Herro. March matters Haggin quit being a weirdo

Last edited:
I mean Lamb was like 2/10 against Indiana and played like ass in the NCAA tournament. Who cares if he shot lights out at Mississippi State? Same with Herro. March matters Haggin quit being a weirdo

Do your damn list with Doron Lamb in the Top 5 then.

Can you not type that long?

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Mehico
I mean Murray was like 2/10 against Indiana and played like ass in the NCAA tournament. Who cares if he shot lights out at Mississippi State? Same with Herro. March matters Haggin quit being a weirdo
Didn't Lamb lead us in scoring in the championship game? Plus, I'd have Miller on this list and replace Andrew. Great leader, two FFs, and a championship.

I just had my vasectomy today and am on some pretty strong Norco so I’ll probably fall asleep before I get to 25 tbh but here is my top 5 based on UK accomplishments:

Top 5:
Davis
Jones
MKG
Lamb
Teague

😂

How'd that go? Still haven't had mine. Not convinced wife will ever let me...lol. I've officially moved to stud...

• Haha
How'd that go? Still haven't had mine. Not convinced wife will ever let me...lol. I've officially moved to stud...

Not terrible. Just a pinch at beginning and now I have a bag of peas on my balls but not as painful as I thought and you know I’m a giant pussy. Having a nurse rub warm iodine all over my shaved junk before and another one rub antibiotic ointment all over it afterwards was ummmm interesting 😂

My 25 are in bold.

'12- Davis MKG Teague
'15- KAT Booker WCS*
'16- Murray Ulis
'18- Knox SGA PJ Diallo
'19- Keldon Herro Travis

Tier 1- Top 5
1. Davis
2. Wall
3. Oscar
4. Randle
5. WCS

Tier 2- 6-10
6. Ulis
7. Knight
8. Monk
9. Murray
10. Boogie

Tier 3- 11-15
11. MKG
12. KAT
13. Fox
14. PJ
15. IQ

Tier 4- 16-20
16. SGA
17. Jones
18. Bam
19. Noel
20. Lamb

Tier 5- 21-25
21. Maxey
22. Herro
23. Andrew
24. Richards
25. Aaron

Based on the guy’s best season:

1 Davis
2 Oscar
3 Ulis
4 Wall
5 Murray
6 Cousins
7 KAT
8 Knight
9 Randle
10 MKG
11 Noel
12 WCS
13 Monk
14 Quickley
15 SGA
16 Patterson
17 Bam
18 Richards
19 PJ
20 Toppin (coming season)
21 Jones
22 Lamb
23 Knox
24 Herro
25 Young

Reactions: HagginHall1999

My 25 are in bold.

'12- Davis MKG Teague
'15- KAT Booker WCS*
'16- Murray Ulis
'18- Knox SGA PJ Diallo
'19- Keldon Herro Travis

Tier 1- Top 5
1. Davis
2. Wall
3. Oscar
4. Randle
5. WCS

Tier 2- 6-10
6. Ulis
7. Knight
8. Monk
9. Murray
10. Boogie

Tier 3- 11-15
11. MKG
12. KAT
13. Fox
14. PJ
15. IQ

Tier 4- 16-20
16. SGA
17. Jones
18. Bam
19. Noel
20. Lamb

Tier 5- 21-25
21. Maxey
22. Herro
23. Andrew
24. Richards
25. Aaron

You actually have Willie above Cousins? Absolutely no way. Cousins and Murray are top 5.

Not terrible. Just a pinch at beginning and now I have a bag of peas on my balls but not as painful as I thought and you know I’m a giant pussy. Having a nurse rub warm iodine all over my shaved junk before and another one rub antibiotic ointment all over it afterwards was ummmm interesting 😂
I’m sure they enjoy it too 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Mehico
Didn't Lamb lead us in scoring in the championship game? Plus, I'd have Miller on this list and replace Andrew. Great leader, two FFs, and a championship.

Who you dropping if you add Miller? Same with Teague and Patterson...don't have them on.

I like WCS, but NO way does he belong in the top 5. You went off the rails with that choice.
Agree.
And yes Willie was DPOY, but offered nothing but lobs on OFF. He was one of my favorites, but I have no clue how he was 1st team AA.
Ulis was not only 1st team AA, but also SEC DPOY. So both sides of the ball was great.

Jones and Lamb were good, and any list including my own you could argue moving most guys up or down 5 spots easy. But while team outcome is important, I don’t place too much on that. It’s more than a tiebreaker, but it’s not the first criteria either. Oscar (worst loss in UK history) obviously way better than Harrellson (F4), Ulis way better than Teague. It’s a team game, not Oscars fault 1/2 the rotation was getting hurt, not Ulis fault we had zero interior game. Lamb and Jones were good in part because they weren’t who defenses focused on first. Teague was a modern Epps (but less gritty).

I’m also not holding the bad timing of 1 off night too much against a player, just like I’m not greatly elevating a guy because of 1 really good game (or 3-4 huge shots), sorry Lee and Aaron.

Andrew deserves to be on it as well. Two FF and a runner up.
I am of the opinion that we win it all in 2015 if Ulis plays the point all year (though we probably lose during the regular season). We DO NOT win in 2012 if Miller was not on the team.

I just had my vasectomy today and am on some pretty strong Norco so I’ll probably fall asleep before I get to 25 tbh but here is my top 5 based on UK accomplishments:

Top 5:
Davis
Jones
MKG
Lamb
Teague

😂
So 2012 has the top 5 ever. No wonder cal finally punched that NC ticket. 😉

Edited to say I finally got it after reading a second time. "Based on accomplishments " I'm so dumb sometimes 🤣

The WCS debate is an interesting one. If you told me a guy was:

Consensus 1st Team AA
SEC DPOY
SEC Tournament MVP
NCAA Regional Team

I’d say he’s probably top 5. But the eye test and stats just don’t scream too 5 to me.

Reactions: JonathanW
I am of the opinion that we win it all in 2015 if Ulis plays the point all year (though we probably lose during the regular season). We DO NOT win in 2012 if Miller was not on the team.
Maybe, maybe not. We can debate 2015 for the rest of time but we got a terrible call that changed the rules. All of our studs were cold. WCS didn’t show up. Poythress Injury is what hurt us most. His defense would have helped a ton on Wisconsin wings. Booker was Ice cold. Ulis also made a tremendous leap his sophomore year. Cal rolled with the two guards who were experienced and got us to a championship game. Imagine if he sits Aaron. The narrative would be he say the most clutch postseason shooter on the team when we needed a bucket.

Reactions: onearmedjesus
Maybe, maybe not. We can debate 2015 for the rest of time but we got a terrible call that changed the rules. All of our studs were cold. WCS didn’t show up. Poythress Injury is what hurt us most. His defense would have helped a ton on Wisconsin wings. Booker was Ice cold. Ulis also made a tremendous leap his sophomore year. Cal rolled with the two guards who were experienced and got us to a championship game. Imagine if he sits Aaron. The narrative would be he say the most clutch postseason shooter on the team when we needed a bucket.
I do hear what you are saying, and as you do say, this is a debate with no end, but if Ulis took on a greater load all year, he would have been better than he was by the end of the year, and he was a better point guard than Andrew ever was (though he was solid). My point overall is that Miller should be on the top 25 list over Andrew.

Give me Wall, Murray, MKG, Towns and Davis. I'll take on any group you can come up with
Randle was a better rebounder than Towns (one reason we lost in 2015 in my opinion), so I might replace one for the other there. A win-win situation either way. We need to have this kind of talent year in and year out.

I do hear what you are saying, and as you do say, this is a debate with no end, but if Ulis took on a greater load all year, he would have been better than he was by the end of the year, and he was a better point guard than Andrew ever was (though he was solid). My point overall is that Miller should be on the top 25 list over Andrew.
I don’t have issue with Miller being on the list. I also agree that Ulis would have developed more. I still think depth was that teams biggest strength.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT