ADVERTISEMENT

To those worried about losing next year’s class, let’s just think about it.

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
Wallace goes to the draft.

Oscar, Toppin, Reeves, Frederick and Wheeler all graduate. Yes there is the possibility some could come back for a 5th/6th year but with how this season has gone and whatever is going on behind the scenes, seems unlikely for any except maybe Frederick.

Thiero and Onyenso almost certainly transfer. They played ZERO minutes against SC. Collins a strong possibility to transfer as well. And again I’ll point to what I mentioned about in addition to PT. How do they not look at these freshman coming in and think they will get PT next year?

Livingston probably comes back, but I could see him trying to go to the NBA. We’ve seen it time and time again. Or I could see him transferring.

I think Ware comes back.

So we likely have:

Dillingham
Wagner
Edwards
Livingston
Bradshaw
Ware
Sheppard

Tom of talent but basically no experience. Not to mention the fact that CCC will be coaching them…

“We are young.”
“It’s a process.”
“These kids think they poop ice cream.”

Yes he will go get transfers. I’m just so exhausted with the state of UK basketball. I don’t want to hope for next year, maybe next year. It’s time for a fresh start. It’s worth letting that class go for him to go with them.

I dont think thiero and ugonna transfer. They knew they weren't playing much this season.

Next years team will be all new players if we get a new coach as well and we likely won't see the continuality from decades gone by regardless.

Calipari needs to go yesterday but people thinking things are gonna go back to the way they were in the 50s or 70s or even 90s or 2000s with rosters are in for a rude awakening. The transfer portal and NIL have changed the game for good.

It doesn't matter when he leaves, because the cupboard will be left bare whenever he does. Whether it's this year, next, or 2028. He's gonna leave us in a bad spot, no matter when he leaves.
Except there is more hope now... there are other coaches with connections/relationships that will bring a key player or two with them to UK. Additionally, I point to Kansas State as an example of what can be accomplished w/ transfers... they were bare and the best player transferred to UMiami. LSU is another, albeit not quite the same success, better than anyone would have guessed after their mass exodus.
And your point is well-taken... we will go through this whenever Cal leaves... better to break the cycle now.

I can't imagine any situation where Wagner is here if Cal is not.

At this point I'm fully prepared to lose the class next year.

Pull the bandaid quick and lets suffer thru next year as opposed to two or 3 years.

Reactions: DocPT
And then there's the elephant in the room.

And that is that Calipari will still most likely coach at UK next year.

Reactions: westerncat

Oscar, Toppin, Reeves, Frederick and Wheeler all graduate. Yes there is the possibility some could come back for a 5th/6th year but with how this season has gone and whatever is going on behind the scenes, seems unlikely for any except maybe Frederick.

Thiero and Onyenso almost certainly transfer. They played ZERO minutes against SC. Collins a strong possibility to transfer as well. And again I’ll point to what I mentioned about in addition to PT. How do they not look at these freshman coming in and think they will get PT next year?

Livingston probably comes back, but I could see him trying to go to the NBA. We’ve seen it time and time again. Or I could see him transferring.

I think Ware comes back.

So we likely have:

Dillingham
Wagner
Edwards
Livingston
Bradshaw
Ware
Sheppard

Tom of talent but basically no experience. Not to mention the fact that CCC will be coaching them…

“We are young.”
“It’s a process.”

Yes he will go get transfers. I’m just so exhausted with the state of UK basketball. I don’t want to hope for next year, maybe next year. It’s time for a fresh start. It’s worth letting that class go for him to go with them.
Give me that roster with a couple experienced transfers along with Cal and let’s give him another shot to redeem himself. I agree whenever he leaves we will need to reload, but really want to see this class at UK

Give me that roster with a couple experienced transfers along with Cal and let’s give him another shot to redeem himself. I agree whenever he leaves we will need to reload, but really want to see this class at UK
The definition of insanity.
You realize we get hyped about every class?... and the incoming class is less special than 7-8 of the other classes Cal has conned into coming here.
We all felt great about the current roster a year ago... right up to the Champions Classic. Even after that, we knew this team was too talented to lose many more games. There was no way the recent class, the transfers, and those returning (including the reigning POY) could perform this poorly and uninspired... until they did... again and again.
So here's a little secret... it's not the kids... it's the coach.
You risk damaging the program long-term by staying with what, even you seem to agree, doesn't work... it is literally the definition of insanity. Stop the cycle.

I seriously doubt all of next year's class is coming here anyway even if Cal is still the coach. Not sure why they would if they care at all about their draft stock. I expect some of them never to play here.

Every year some posters think every player who doesn't start is going to transfer. And what happens?
We've had 4 transfers in 2 Portal summers, 2 of whom were starters, the 1 starter (Askew) we think Cal told "you should probably look elsewhere", so just 1 bench guy per year (both in the same year).
That is not a "mass exodus".
And so the everyone-will-transfer guys see that one guy and say "see I told you so", when they were wrong about the other 4-5 guys they said would transfer.

I'm not saying we won't have someone leave, I bet we do. Maybe even a couple. But there are reasons why we might not for each guy.
Onyenso came as a reclassification, KNOWING he would be behind the returning NPOY (same position), so he could not have expected more than 5-8mpg. He also knew there was a 3rd year guy here at that position too. And everything he said indicated he was here to learn and improve, not to make an immediate impact. And we all KNOW Cal loves shot blocking big guys. And so with no Oscar next year, I think it's safe to assume Onyenso would start, he will be ahead of Bradshaw (who I think is similar to the Duke kid this year that is struggling).
Theiro came as a 3* recruit, to a Blueblood school. Maybe the first 3* recruit in the past 13 years. I think it highly unlikely he expected to play much as a FR when he arrived on campus last summer. Now maybe once here he saw "hey I can hang with these dudes" and changed his expectations some.
Collins, no he's not played a lot, but he has been given chances. What's he done? 32% FG, 0 3's, 1.6 pts, 2.2reb in 10mpg. That's bad! And he has to see/feel that he gets thrown around like a rag doll at times (vs USC he was moving at times like a new-born wobbly giraffe). But also, with the great loss he experienced this fall, I would not be surprised if Cal (or one of the assistants) is like a father-figure to him now.
So I would be equally surprised if we lost NONE of those 3, as I would if we lost 2 or all 3 of them.

Every year some posters think every player who doesn't start is going to transfer. And what happens?
We've had 4 transfers in 2 Portal summers, 2 of whom were starters, the 1 starter (Askew) we think Cal told "you should probably look elsewhere", so just 1 bench guy per year (both in the same year).
That is not a "mass exodus".
And so the everyone-will-transfer guys see that one guy and say "see I told you so", when they were wrong about the other 4-5 guys they said would transfer.
Agree with every point you made... absolutely. The other mitigating factor that comes into play now (which used to not)... is that the players have less trust in Cal now. He's a lunatic on the sideline (can only imagine what practices must be like) and he can't guide them down the stretch.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
If next years class is here I expect 2013-14 type regular season results which would carry a high likelihood of a first weekend tourney exit. And maybe they’d be a little worse in the regular season, which would put us out of the tournament and a five year anniversary since our last tournament win.

If next years class is here I expect 2013-14 type regular season results which would carry a high likelihood of a first weekend tourney exit. And maybe they’d be a little worse in the regular season, which would put us out of the tournament and a five year anniversary since our last tournament win.
Unless... Cal (or preferably the new coach) is good at evaluating and getting the right transfer pieces on board.

I dont think thiero and ugonna transfer. They knew they weren't playing much this season.

Next years team will be all new players if we get a new coach as well and we likely won't see the continuality from decades gone by regardless.

Calipari needs to go yesterday but people thinking things are gonna go back to the way they were in the 50s or 70s or even 90s or 2000s with rosters are in for a rude awakening. The transfer portal and NIL have changed the game for good.
You are discounting how many people transfer because they are obviously tired of his voice.and empty words. I can see both leaving as they will feel they will be sitting behind those high-ranked freshman. I mean this team is struggling like crazy and they can't get really any minutes. I would leave if I were in their shoes.

If Cal does leave and takes that class: with the transfer portal & NIL there is not an empty Cupboard here
Cal is not going to Texas unfortunately -doubt they really want him
With the meltdown occurring I doubt all those players come here even if Cal stays

If I was Mitch I would rip the band aid off and hope that Cal eventually takes another job and that would offset buyout.

And then there's the elephant in the room.

And that is that Calipari will still most likely coach at UK next year.
I agree . And it could be for the best. There are still some people that think/hope Cal will be able to regain his old form with a class of this magnitude. When he has a disappointing season with that many lottery type guys, hardly anyone (probably you,Ed,and bass) will think he should stay.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Cal will be here next season and we will have the players. Hopefully Wheeler and Toppin don't stay. Thiero is going wherever goes. So if Cal is here, Thiero is here.

Livingston should stay. But you never know. Oscar should stay too. And maybe he will?

But that's to be concerned about next year. UT is next!!

I agree . And it could be for the best. There are still some people that think/hope Cal will be able to regain his old form with a class of this magnitude. When he has a disappointing season with that many lottery type guys, hardly anyone (probably you,Ed,and bass) will think he should stay.
You people are so ate up with breaking the fanbase into political factions that you can't see the forest through the trees.

If Kentucky were to find a better replacement than Calipari this season, I'd be all for it, because my interest is in what's best for Kentucky. I think defining "better replacement" is way more complex than it's made out to be. Like it or not, it's not easy to replace him and just because Calipari leaves, doesn't mean it's an improvement.

Yayhoos and simpletons read that and think it's a defense of Calipari. It's not. It's just the reality of the situation.

And I'll tell you how predictable the simpletons are. Their response is something like "Wail, no replacement could be worse than losing to South Carolina and St. Peter's." And then they get likes from emotionally driven internet pundits.

Except actually it can be much worse. We've seen it get much worse.

TLDR; Your take is shit.

If Cal stays, the freshman class stays intact. We lose Wallace, Livingston, Toppin, Reeves, Oscar, and Wheeler. Collins maybe stays but probably transfers or goes pro somewhere. Fredrick maybe stays depending on his girlfriend or decides to go pro in something other than sports. Onyenso and Theiro stay because they came to play for Cal with no promises of playing time or a quick trip to the NBA. Where or what else is Ware going to do?

If Cal leaves, I expect everyone to leave except Shepherd and possibly Fredrick.

The former will be a typically talented Cal at UK team with a chance at success at typical levels. Most likely is another season of underachievement and disappointment with the same elephant in the room as we have had the last 4+ years.

The latter gives us a fresh start with no expectations but with freedom from the existing culture of a bus stop. Results could be anywhere between really bad and not as bad as it could be. With our existing resources, the right coach can come in and change us back to a successful college first basketball program again in a relatively short time.

You people are so ate up with breaking the fanbase into political factions that you can't see the forest through the trees.

If Kentucky were to find a better replacement than Calipari this season, I'd be all for it, because my interest is in what's best for Kentucky. I think defining "better replacement" is way more complex than it's made out to be. Like it or not, it's not easy to replace him and just because Calipari leaves, doesn't mean it's an improvement.

Yayhoos and simpletons read that and think it's a defense of Calipari. It's not. It's just the reality of the situation.

And I'll tell you how predictable the simpletons are. Their response is something like "Wail, no replacement could be worse than losing to South Carolina and St. Peter's." And then they get likes from emotionally driven internet pundits.

TLDR; Your take is shit.
Cal is a backroom dealer on these things. Did the same thing in Memphis when he left. If anyone will have him, he gone. The first part might be the problem.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

TLDR; Your take is shit.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Everyone sees what you are . Don’t try to act like you are some ”all seeing “ higher being . You are no different or better than Ed or bass . I do understand this has to be a terrible time for you Cal nuthangers though. Especially since evidently you aren’t emotionally equipped to deal with it.lol

TLDR; Your take is shit.
Throwing so many insults in, instead of just offering reasons and actual discussion.

Of course things could get worse, they could get better. Who knows.

Outside of probation has any coach missed the tournament 3 times in their tenure at Kentucky? After this year I know one who has.

When exactly have is fans seen it get much worse than it is now? Outside of probation?

I think if Cal were to completely change, get help on offense, switch defenses and get his fire back, he could go on another 2010-2015 type run. I just don’t see him doing that though.

When you weigh whether to keep a coach by, “well it could be worse.” Then that sounds like a loser mentality that I’m always called when I defend stoops on the football board.

Except we have had 4 other coaches with just as good a resume as Cal at Kentucky, and the next one will either be a drunk or win a national championship. Just give them a breathalyzer at the interview and the program will be fine.

Reactions: track42
There's no point in even attempting to speculate on next year's class until we see how this year unfolds, and see if there's any coaching changes.

YES !! Everybody has and can get players now.
Rosters will be musical chairs and many lesser-known players will get opportunities in new situations and shine.
Even more than ever, winning a Natty will boil down to super-peaking at end of season, playing great defense, avoiding both bad match-ups and bad shooting nights. Much more luck required now than ever before, as a stockpile of supposed talent promises less than ever before.

Last edited:
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Everyone sees what you are . Don’t try to act like you are some ”all seeing “ higher being . You are no different or better than Ed or bass . I do understand this has to be a terrible time for you Cal nuthangers though. Especially since evidently you aren’t emotionally equipped to deal with it.lol
Yea I don’t really care for doing the back and forth insult thing with you. You do you

I can't imagine any situation where Wagner is here if Cal is not.

At this point I'm fully prepared to lose the class next year.

Pull the bandaid quick and lets suffer thru next year as opposed to two or 3 years.
If the last 2 games are any indication we won't need a band-aid, just get up, brush off the dirt and go on about your business

Throwing so many insults in, instead of just offering reasons and actual discussion.

Of course things could get worse, they could get better. Who knows.

Outside of probation has any coach missed the tournament 3 times in their tenure at Kentucky? After this year I know one who has.

When exactly have is fans seen it get much worse than it is now? Outside of probation?

I think if Cal were to completely change, get help on offense, switch defenses and get his fire back, he could go on another 2010-2015 type run. I just don’t see him doing that though.

When you weigh whether to keep a coach by, “well it could be worse.” Then that sounds like a loser mentality that I’m always called when I defend stoops on the football board.

Except we have had 4 other coaches with just as good a resume as Cal at Kentucky, and the next one will either be a drunk or win a national championship. Just give them a breathalyzer at the interview and the program will be fine.
Aye, if you‘re not a simpleton you shouldn’t be offended.

Im big on realism, at least I try to be. That means acknowledging risks, even if inconvenient.

Reality 1) Calipari isn’t being bought out by UK and Texas will likely never offer him
Reality 2) Calipari leaving this season could prolong down years and whether it helps UK is highly dependent on his replacement.

And so let’s consider a bad scenario. Kentucky loses Calipari this year. Loses entire recruiting class and most of team. Stymied by high pressure culture and programs with SEC money counter offering, various coaches turn down UK. UK ends up with less than home run hire. UK basks in mediocrity, moving further and further from the last era of success. The same fans clamoring for end of Calipari grow impatient. The cycle repeats.

Reactions: jauk11
I just don't see Cal turning things around this year. Things are really going to be bad here after Saturday's game with Tenn. after they beat us by 25-30 points. I am not so sure we can bat Georgia , Texas A&M and then Kansas will come in and putting a beating on us at home. Things are going to get nasty.

Reactions: TFCats11
You are discounting how many people transfer because they are obviously tired of his voice.and empty words. I can see both leaving as they will feel they will be sitting behind those high-ranked freshman. I mean this team is struggling like crazy and they can't get really any minutes. I would leave if I were in their shoes.

Agree to disagree.

I think Ware comes back.

So we likely have:

Dillingham
Wagner
Edwards
Livingston
Bradshaw
Ware
Sheppard

“We are young.”
“It’s a process.”

Just get it over with. That class will fall apart - I bet Reed stays w/ UK - and UK will pull in legit transfers once a legit new coach is hired. Additionally, the new coach could bring players from his previous team (assuming it's someone from another active college and not Jay Wright, for example).

Plus, I have ZERO faith that Cal won't screw up next year's class ... so, to me, honestly ... who cares if he goes at the end of this season or next ....

I'm so ready to see BASKETBALL PLAYERS again ... not athletes with POTENTIAL to someday learn the game. Cal has relied way too much on this approach lately and it's created awful rosters.

Reactions: qwesley
Aye, if you‘re not a simpleton you shouldn’t be offended.

Im big on realism, at least I try to be. That means acknowledging risks, even if inconvenient.

Reality 1) Calipari isn’t being bought out by UK and Texas will likely never offer him
Reality 2) Calipari leaving this season could prolong down years and whether it helps UK is highly dependent on his replacement.

And so let’s consider a bad scenario. Kentucky loses Calipari this year. Loses entire recruiting class and most of team. Stymied by high pressure culture and programs with SEC money counter offering, various coaches turn down UK. UK ends up with less than home run hire. UK basks in mediocrity, moving further and further from the last era of success. The same fans clamoring for end of Calipari grow impatient. The cycle repeats.
That worst case scenario will happen when cal leaves regardless, outside of not getting the coach they want

There isn’t going to be a returning player when Cal leaves unless maybe it is Sheppard

Your worst case scenario happened and we ended up with Billy G.

Three years later we had Cal and the best run of our lifetime.

I just dont see A scenario where Kentucky strikes out so many times when now they have a hungry fan base and can pay players.

I’m not offended very often, but just pointing out that it is generally a sign of low intelligence to have to result to insults instead of just making your points. “Like hey if you don’t agree with me you are an idiot, a bigot or a racist” but don’t worry if you are not of low intelligence then that won’t offend you, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT