ADVERTISEMENT

Tip of the hat to Kevin Grevey

My best friend played with Kevin at UK, and I would hang around with the BB team quite a bit. There was never a dull moment with Kevin around.

One night a bunch of us went out, including Kevin and Mike Flynn’s older brother, Steve. Steve proceeded to get in an argument with several large dudes and we thought we would have to fight our way out. Up stepped Grevey and he proceeded to charm everyone in the bar, including the big dudes.

Typical Kevin. He could talk his way out of anything. There are tons of stories, most of which would be rated R.

Bottom line: Kevin is a super guy.

I teach with a PE teacher from Cincinnati. He says Kevin Grevey was the best he ever played against in high school.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I went to the Rupp Issel Pratt basketball and Grevey was one of the counselors.

He was an absolute top notch guy. The absolute best.

Also there was Dan Gephardt, another super nice guy. He was involved the infamous OSU-Minn fight. Got to talk to him about that. There I was, a 12 year old kid, straight out of the tobacco patch, living in a trailer, and getting inside scoop on a national story. Sky high, I tell ya!

If I recall when I roomed in Holmes Hall in 1971 as a freshman at UK the freshman team "Super Kittens" roomed there as well or some of them did. I might be wrong. It's only been 50 years. Rupp's last freshman class. A deadly left hand jumper. One of my all time favorite Cats.

He had a steakhouse in Falls Church, Virginia for almost 30 years. Lots of Kentucky memorabilia there and of course Washington Bullets stuff. He often worked the front of the house on game days.
That sounds awesome I would have loved to eat there

Reactions: dcw62
Man what can I say,that 75 bunch was special and Grevey almost single handily beat UCLA by himself(35 points I think)..Wish they could have got that win.only time I ever cried after a loss lol,of course I was 13....Thanks for sharing Smash!
I cried after that one. I was 9. Cool to share that experience with someone who can relate. :)

He had a steakhouse in Falls Church, Virginia for almost 30 years. Lots of Kentucky memorabilia there and of course Washington Bullets stuff. He often worked the front of the house on game days.
Cliff Hagan had one in Lex, also. Right?

Man what can I say,that 75 bunch was special and Grevey almost single handily beat UCLA by himself(35 points I think)..Wish they could have got that win.only time I ever cried after a loss lol,of course I was 13....Thanks for sharing Smash!
i thought wooden anouncing retirement before the game was cheap. yes

Grevey and Issel are probably my all time UK favorites. I was a senior at Morehead State in '75, I didn't cry after the UCLA game, but I may have if I hadn't been watching with a room full of other students.

I went to the Rupp Issel Pratt basketball and Grevey was one of the counselors.

He was an absolute top notch guy. The absolute best.

Also there was Dan Gephardt, another super nice guy. He was involved the infamous OSU-Minn fight. Got to talk to him about that. There I was, a 12 year old kid, straight out of the tobacco patch, living in a trailer, and getting inside scoop on a national story. Sky high, I tell ya!
I knew a guy that played in that game, Bob Nix Owen County.

Reactions: Rockford
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT