ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move Calipari onto the hotseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.
Look if you went to go the route of bringing in 3 and 4 star players that will stay three or four years, this is what it looks like. Be happy with it if this is what you want. I prefer what we have and I love our coach. “Super” high school players just don’t always excel in college. We’ve all seen it on every team out there.
If you want him gone, provide a realistic plan. What if he left today ? What would your genius plan be?

Reactions: brianpoe
There can be no such thing as a true hot seat for Cal because of this:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...entucky-that-will-pay-him-8-million-per-year/

That enormous contract extension we just gave him essentially makes him impossible to fire. He's still owed around 50 million dollars on a contract that runs through 2024. Ain't no way UK's eating a buyout that large.

FWIW, I don't think Cal should be on the hot seat anyways. But just pointing out that it's really not even an option in this case.

It just doesn't matter....it just doesn't matter...hire UK's savior (The one they want) and these EXACT same people will be telling you how much they loved Cal. It almost has to be a crisis. Without a crisis they cannot justify (In their mind)......being happy...(It is a mental thing. At least a mental state...)

Cal seems to be all about helping kids reach their dreams of playing in the NBA. That's an admirable calling. He would make a great NBA G league coach.

Reactions: - Keyser Soze -
There's an element here that isn't discussed. Since this is a crappy thread I'll just lay it here.

Most people that have understood Cal for a long time knows he's a tough nosed guy who wants to be on the top stage. He loves a challenge and the spotlight. He was always seen as a fierce competitor and his teams always reflected that. Even his Memphis teams were tough as nails.

Is Cal that same guy? Is it possible he's just coasting now?

When you look at the makeup of this team, it's just constructed poorly. Diallo doesn't compliment Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt doesn't compliment Washington, Green and SGA don't really seem right together. It just looks like a top 25 random draw. Is Cal really evaluating anymore? Why wouldn't he be expanding to the top 75? Why did he always have guys like CDR or Liggins (he actually really wanted Liggins at Memphis before he was at UK), Antonio Anderson? Hawkins?

Tough, hard nosed, gritty, Calipari players? Where are they? Guys that were like him and felt snubbed or had a rough element, that would die for him. Total trust. Where are they?

I think it's obvious Cal chooses the star system over needs and preferences because he's become obsessed inside of his system. I'm not sure Cal really understands what's happened, and i think a lot of this board is confused as well.

I don't know the answer, but if we are doing that, we need to cut the sht. That star rating system is not based on the best high school players, or the most skilled. It's heavily based on potential, something a lot of people don't seem to understand. If you think a team of 10-30 range prospects are going to produce year in and year out/bolt/rinse repeat I've got some gold bars made of human **** to sell ya.

There is no hot set for Cal yet. He's safe, we cant replace him, and his potential is extremely high. 4 final fours and a title in 8 years, it is what it is. At the same time, he's not unfireable. He needs to correct himself or go pro. Staying the course is not an option. Next year will tell the story. If we have 3-5 guys leave, and Cal is fine with it, we've got a serious issue. If he's too stubborn and arrogant to change, he will doom himself. It's not the fans fault. He's paid too much to ignore it.

The other problem is that are no Kentucky players on this roster. What? 1 walk on?

All these players know for the entire period of their life that they can remember is that UK gets guys drafted. No pride in the jersey.

Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.
Everything in this post reeks of a fooking idiot. The only reason Cal would leave is because of idiots like you and the dumb asses you've been talking to. Luckily for us he's a tough SOB.

Reactions: kat57
Anyone who even hints at Cal being even moved close to thinking about being on the hot seat needs to be culled from existence. The risk of your DNA spreading is a huge plague on the world.
Thank you. Any post that says Cal is on the hot seat or anything else in that vein makes me wonder what kind of mental state some folks have.

Reactions: jace2012
not sure why he holds on to his assistants coaches so long, it's not like any of them that have gotten coaching jobs have set the world on fire, you have Coach Antigua who couldn't cut it as a head coach, and we all see what has happened with Coach Barbee he's on our staff now since he couldn't cut it as a head coach, go out and get some better coaches.

Barbee should have been a slam dunk hire.

He became a HC because he was the #1 recruiting assistant in the country.... not sure why everyone doesnt know this..

I'm not sure if he lost his fire or his connections or what happened once he became a HC, but he was a great recruiter at one time.

Reactions: 83Cat
I can imagine some of these posters being around during the Rupp days calling for his job From 58'-59' season to the 64'-65 season.
Honestly can't comprehend them. UK went 32-6 last year and lost on a last second shot to eventual champ. The way some are on here complaining, you would think it's been years since UK made a good run in the tourney. Just mind boggling.

not sure why he holds on to his assistants coaches so long, it's not like any of them that have gotten coaching jobs have set the world on fire, you have Coach Antigua who couldn't cut it as a head coach, and we all see what has happened with Coach Barbee he's on our staff now since he couldn't cut it as a head coach, go out and get some better coaches.
Robin isn't a recruiter, he's cals guy that makes sure everything is running as it should he's been with him for years plus he has great hair. It's barbee and Justus that need to leave. Payne is loved by the players and does a great job. We need to get a stud recruiter to join cal like coach o especially someone that can seal the deal with bigs. Hell bolden would of helped this team Richards has only been playing 4 years. He will get better and improve but we need someone else down low who's atleast 6'9 that can help a randle/jones/ bam type guy. Pj is good but he's not the answer for a 40 min game he's barely 6'7 with shoes. Chuck Hayes had guys to help him pj not so much weynen and Vanderbilt are the only two but neither are bruisers

If you are looking for hot seats look to Pittsburgh. Old baldy is mess up there. I hope a lot of crow is chewed soon by some of these fair weather fans. It ain’t over yet this year you defeatists.

There's an element here that isn't discussed. Since this is a crappy thread I'll just lay it here.

Most people that have understood Cal for a long time knows he's a tough nosed guy who wants to be on the top stage. He loves a challenge and the spotlight. He was always seen as a fierce competitor and his teams always reflected that. Even his Memphis teams were tough as nails.

When you look at the makeup of this team, it's just constructed poorly. Diallo doesn't compliment Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt doesn't compliment Washington, Green and SGA don't really seem right together. It just looks like a top 25 random draw. Is Cal really evaluating anymore? Why wouldn't he be expanding to the top 75? Why did he always have guys like CDR or Liggins (he actually really wanted Liggins at Memphis before he was at UK), Antonio Anderson? Hawkins?

Tough, hard nosed, gritty, Calipari players? Where are they? Guys that were like him and felt snubbed or had a rough element, that would die for him. Total trust. Where are they?

I think it's obvious Cal chooses the star system over needs and preferences because he's become obsessed inside of his system. I'm not sure Cal really understands what's happened, and i think a lot of this board is confused as well.

I don't know the answer, but if we are doing that, we need to cut the sht. That star rating system is not based on the best high school players, or the most skilled. It's heavily based on potential, something a lot of people don't seem to understand. If you think a team of 10-30 range prospects are going to produce year in and year out/bolt/rinse repeat I've got some gold bars made of human **** to sell ya.

There is no hot set for Cal yet. He's safe, we cant replace him, and his potential is extremely high. 4 final fours and a title in 8 years, it is what it is. At the same time, he's not unfireable. He needs to correct himself or go pro. Staying the course is not an option. Next year will tell the story. If we have 3-5 guys leave, and Cal is fine with it, we've got a serious issue. If he's too stubborn and arrogant to change, he will doom himself. It's not the fans fault. He's paid too much to ignore it.
spot on

you are why UK fans get a bad rap you have no clue about basketball.

Reactions: kat57
Same blue shades responded as some have when Tubby’s seat starting getting hot. Eventually, the tide turns and things happen.

Cal obviously has a few years to change the system, but rest assured, the system must change. We will not accpet NITs and players that do not lay it down for UK.

There can be no such thing as a true hot seat for Cal because of this:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...entucky-that-will-pay-him-8-million-per-year/

That enormous contract extension we just gave him essentially makes him impossible to fire. He's still owed around 50 million dollars on a contract that runs through 2024. Ain't no way UK's eating a buyout that large.

FWIW, I don't think Cal should be on the hot seat anyways. But just pointing out that it's really not even an option in this case.

Kentucky gave him 8 million per year that's not on cal. I'm sure he would of stayed for 6 million like puke, he's set for life. It's fair to expect him to bring in the best every year which he does but he doesn't poop ice cream he's. It goting to land every stud now since every team is doing what he does with OAD/players first.

shooters at that. some who can knock down shots

We are missing baker which couldn't of hurt us this year. I'm not saying we would be undefeated but I feel he truly was one of the best shooters in the class I bet we win atleast 2-3 of the games we lost

Kentucky gave him 8 million per year that's not on cal.

I never suggested it was on Cal. I was just pointing out the fact that his contract--with six more years and nearly 50 million dollars left on it--basically makes it impossible for UK to fire Cal now.

So it's kinda futile even to be having this discussion. Nobody wants Cal fired. And even if we did, we couldn't, the cost of his buyout essentially makes Cal untouchable.

Last edited:
Same blue shades responded as some have when Tubby’s seat starting getting hot. Eventually, the tide turns and things happen.

Cal obviously has a few years to change the system, but rest assured, the system must change. We will not accpet NITs and players that do not lay it down for UK.

Not hate, but I'd sure hate to live on the difference of what you are showing.

Comparing Cal to Tubby is ludicrous. Tubby didn't get us to a FF in his last 9 seasons, didn't enjoy the job and quit. Before this season Cal has taken us to 4 FF in 8 seasons and loves this job. Cal is a great recruiter who will continue to get great players as long as he is here. Starting over every year is a difficult side effect of the OAD era but an off year like this one will lead to a strong run for the next couple of seasons if the past is any indicator.

I never suggested it was. I was just pointing out the fact his contract basically makes it impossible for UK to fire Cal now--iespecially with six more years still on it--so it's kinda futile even to be having this discussion.
I wasn't directing it at you specifically, just those that bitch and moan about what cal makes there are plenty of schools that would have a guy 8 million to have a title multiple final four and elite 8 appearances in 9 years. Look no further than Indiana

Reactions: Bungalow Bill
Even I dont want Cal gone..I have my pet peeves about him but Gotta give him time to work the mess he has now...I dont like that cal yells all game every game..I dont like he seems to care more about putting kids in the NBA than getting them to play for the team..I think thats whats come back to hurt Cal this year...I think he keeps saying its all about the kids and getting them to the NBA and so the kids think its all about them and not the team..

Reactions: susan2361
Cal is not on the hotseat now and he will never be. If you think Cal should be gone then answer one question. Who you going to get?

Reactions: michaeluk26

Cal is not on the hotseat now and he will never be. If you think Cal should be gone then answer one question. Who you going to get?

I’d rather hire the top high school coach in KY and root for him than continue supporting entitled brats.

Spoiled brats? The players Cal has recruited have been great kids. Sounds like you are watching a different team than I've been watching.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Last post by the OP I'll see. Ignored. Segments of our fan base are ridiculous. One of the reasons I've rarely posted in the past several years.

Look if you went to go the route of bringing in 3 and 4 star players that will stay three or four years, this is what it looks like. Be happy with it if this is what you want. I prefer what we have and I love our coach. “Super” high school players just don’t always excel in college. We’ve all seen it on every team out there.
If you want him gone, provide a realistic plan. What if he left today ? What would your genius plan be?

The same ones that gripe about one and dones, are the same ones that griped about Orbzut, and Sheray Thomas.

Reactions: 83Cat

The hot seat? Are you frigging nuts? Some of you so called fans, are complete idiots, and you’re near the top of them.

No

That’s perfectly put. Bravo Morg.

Had a pretty good year just last season didn’t we? This year has been a struggle, but I’ve never had the impression he is coasting, if anything he is working harder.

I would. However, love to see you coasting...right off a cliff

Seems like a decade since the 2015 team to me though. I loved last year as my handle shows.

It just doesn't matter....it just doesn't matter...hire UK's savior (The one they want) and these EXACT same people will be telling you how much they loved Cal. It almost has to be a crisis. Without a crisis they cannot justify (In their mind)......being happy...(It is a mental thing. At least a mental state...)

giphy.gif

Reactions: BBUK
Why are we even discussing Cal's contract like it matters or even is within the realm of possibility that he could or should be fired right now?

Not even Kentucky has history good enough to throw him out with his record. Even with 3 NIT's.

I get pissed off and I know others do too, but we gotta ride or die with Cal.

And honestly, when you think about it, I'd rather be struggling with a guy like Cal knowing what he's capable of than struggling with any other coach I can name that's a possible hire.

Let Bill Self get put out first round this year...........Lawrence sees Cals name as a free agent.......lol.

Think Kansas boards would be talking about it?

We are not going to miss the tourney. Cal is a HOF coach. I think some people are just overreacting.

Sure, I think we will be a lower seed in the tourney but we are not missing it. If we miss it and in NIT, then, I think that is pretty bad. But, at this point, I don't see that happening.
How is it overreacting when this loss coming Saturday will be the first time in the history of UK basketball....over 100 years .....it will be the first time we have ever lost 5 straight SEC games?

How is it overreacting when this loss coming Saturday will be the first time in the history of UK basketball....over 100 years .....it will be the first time we have ever lost 5 straight SEC games?

Agreed. There is a lovefest with CAL on this board. Go look at Facebook and Twitter and you will see a very pissed off fan base. The theme is common, we are done with players that don’t care. The theme is that Cal’s coaching ability is exposed on a level playing field.

This Saturday is an extremely important game. Loss is most likely sn NIT unless UK can pull off a win at FL

Reactions: susan2361
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT