ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move Calipari onto the hotseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacramentoKat

Sophomore
Jan 25, 2006
Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.

There's an element here that isn't discussed. Since this is a crappy thread I'll just lay it here.

Most people that have understood Cal for a long time knows he's a tough nosed guy who wants to be on the top stage. He loves a challenge and the spotlight. He was always seen as a fierce competitor and his teams always reflected that. Even his Memphis teams were tough as nails.

Is Cal that same guy? Is it possible he's just coasting now?

When you look at the makeup of this team, it's just constructed poorly. Diallo doesn't compliment Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt doesn't compliment Washington, Green and SGA don't really seem right together. It just looks like a top 25 random draw. Is Cal really evaluating anymore? Why wouldn't he be expanding to the top 75? Why did he always have guys like CDR or Liggins (he actually really wanted Liggins at Memphis before he was at UK), Antonio Anderson? Hawkins?

Tough, hard nosed, gritty, Calipari players? Where are they? Guys that were like him and felt snubbed or had a rough element, that would die for him. Total trust. Where are they?

I think it's obvious Cal chooses the star system over needs and preferences because he's become obsessed inside of his system. I'm not sure Cal really understands what's happened, and i think a lot of this board is confused as well.

I don't know the answer, but if we are doing that, we need to cut the sht. That star rating system is not based on the best high school players, or the most skilled. It's heavily based on potential, something a lot of people don't seem to understand. If you think a team of 10-30 range prospects are going to produce year in and year out/bolt/rinse repeat I've got some gold bars made of human **** to sell ya.

There is no hot set for Cal yet. He's safe, we cant replace him, and his potential is extremely high. 4 final fours and a title in 8 years, it is what it is. At the same time, he's not unfireable. He needs to correct himself or go pro. Staying the course is not an option. Next year will tell the story. If we have 3-5 guys leave, and Cal is fine with it, we've got a serious issue. If he's too stubborn and arrogant to change, he will doom himself. It's not the fans fault. He's paid too much to ignore it.

While I agree we need to find a better (or different) recruiting pitch to land a top 3 player... the rest of the post is ridiculous.

Everyone has wanted a better SEC for years. Well, we’ve got one. Just happened to be in a year where we have a very young, poor attitude and selfish team.

There's an element here that isn't discussed. Since this is a crappy thread I'll just lay it here.

Most people that have understood Cal for a long time knows he's a tough nosed guy who wants to be on the top stage. He loves a challenge and the spotlight. He was always seen as a fierce competitor and his teams always reflected that. Even his Memphis teams were tough as nails.

When you look at the makeup of this team, it's just constructed poorly. Diallo doesn't compliment Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt doesn't compliment Washington, Green and SGA don't really seem right together. It just looks like a top 25 random draw. Is Cal really evaluating anymore? Why wouldn't he be expanding to the top 75? Why did he always have guys like CDR or Liggins (he actually really wanted Liggins at Memphis before he was at UK), Antonio Anderson? Hawkins?

Tough, hard nosed, gritty, Calipari players? Where are they? Guys that were like him and felt snubbed or had a rough element, that would die for him. Total trust. Where are they?

I think it's obvious Cal chooses the star system over needs and preferences because he's become obsessed inside of his system. I'm not sure Cal really understands what's happened, and i think a lot of this board is confused as well.

I don't know the answer, but if we are doing that, we need to cut the sht. That star rating system is not based on the best high school players, or the most skilled. It's heavily based on potential, something a lot of people don't seem to understand. If you think a team of 10-30 range prospects are going to produce year in and year out/bolt/rinse repeat I've got some gold bars made of human **** to sell ya.

There is no hot set for Cal yet. He's safe, we cant replace him, and his potential is extremely high. 4 final fours and a title in 8 years, it is what it is. At the same time, he's not unfireable. He needs to correct himself or go pro. Staying the course is not an option. Next year will tell the story. If we have 3-5 guys leave, and Cal is fine with it, we've got a serious issue. If he's too stubborn and arrogant to change, he will doom himself. It's not the fans fault. He's paid too much to ignore it.

Its fair to ask ...... If he refuses to dump some assistants ... then I'll be afraid he's gone the tubby route..... losing that fire and letting bad assistants drag him down. (not talking about payne obviously)

We aren't replacing him with someone better, and no way he is on the hot seat, but is he on the hot seat to do better, make changes, and not repeat this? Yeah. Another season like this one anytime soon and there will definitely be some difficult questions coming his way.

I thank this team does need some new assistant of course Cal would never let go of a assistant..

Cal won’t get fired. No way.

But if things don’t get better, he will just take an NBA job. His ego won’t allow him to not win at Kentucky.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Cal is ALREADY changing his approach if you look at our team and next years recruiting class!

The problem is, it takes a few years to switch things up...

Upperclassmen have to be developed!!

A grad transfer or two could help in the next few years, but we'll start having veterans going forward.

Everyone needs to nut up, and deal with the losses this year, because Cal has another run in him!!

Even if he were on a hot seat, do you actually think Barnhart would pay the money to fire him? He does nothing but make ridiculous contracts that only benefit the coaches. I believe he is owed $48 million if he is fired after this season. That is 6 years at $8 million per. He can leave anytime he wants with no penalty though.

So we better hope he makes whatever necessary changes that need to be done to improve us or decides to leave on his own if he doesn't. There is no way I see him getting fired in the next 4 or 5 years with that much money on the line unless he is implicated in this FBI investigation. That doesn't seem likely with how hard we are constantly scrutinized by everyone. I would imagine we would get busted long before the FBI would find anything with all of the media, other coaches, the NCAA, and our own compliance department watching him like a hawk.

I think Holtmann will be your next coach. It may be at least a few years though before Cal decides to retire. I don't see him getting fired.

Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.

Spoken like a guy who’s lost his shirt gambling this year....

The improvement for this team starts with Cal. He basically gift wrapped the game last night when his ego put in a player that lost the game in 45 seconds. He can look all over for the tweak but the greatest tweak is on Brad. Earned not Given. Diallo was given a chance. He certainly had not earned it. The bench should be the motivator.

We are not going to miss the tourney. Cal is a HOF coach. I think some people are just overreacting.

Sure, I think we will be a lower seed in the tourney but we are not missing it. If we miss it and in NIT, then, I think that is pretty bad. But, at this point, I don't see that happening.

At the end of the day it's Barnhardt's decision and he knows as well as every sane fan out there that Cal is one of the top 3-4 coaches in the country on average. It doesn't matter how much 'fans' bitch and moan, Barnhardt will push through just like he did with Stoops in his first few years. Cal will be here until he decides to leave himself point blank. If we were to get rid of Cal with his success hes had here no coach in their right mind would want to come here.

Reactions: mapcatfan
Had a pretty good year just last season didn’t we? This year has been a struggle, but I’ve never had the impression he is coasting, if anything he is working harder.

I would. However, love to see you coasting...right off a cliff

Another post from the resident nattering nabob of negativism. All you panic stricken, myopic, irrational, illogical and knee jerk reaction UK “fans” ought to petition the publishers of this message board to be enclaved in your own message group where you could then feed off one another’s negative rants.

While the post is pretty ridiculous, it's naive to think that the noise from the fan base won't get pretty loud for next year if Cal isn't able to turn this thing around. Fans have tolerated the one and done because of the wins and the March success. What's funny to me is the fan base cried for the majority of the Tubby years we couldn't get the stars. Cal comes in and puts nothing but 5 stars on the floor and people are now crying for multi year players. Fans will always go the other way when things aren't working.

Cal has tried and mostly failed at bringing in and keeping multi year players. Most don't want to ride the pine and get recruited over. Charles Matthews is just the latest player in the case. You take Hawkins and Willis off of last year's team, you have a very similar season as this one. I think those 2 really calmed the waters when they slumped in January last year. You have to get 4 year players every two years but the problem is the state of Kentucky doesn't produce that type of talent. Those 2 were here for the front of the jersey. They are not the norm in this state. Players that love UK but also have the ability to play. Without at least 2-3 players with elite talent, you have what has happened this year.

You do it one of two ways. You recruit the number 10-50 type players, develop them over 2-3 years and tell the fan base to expect a clunker year or you get elite talent and try to win it all with the best players year after year. You can't have fringe guys leaving for the pros year after year. It's not going to work. It's where UK sits right now. Short of another miracle '14 run, Cal is going to take some heat for this year and the pressure will be on for next season to be special. Welcome to an over-demanding blueblood. It's why UK is the cream of the crop.

morgousky

without quoting your whole post, I do think 1 thing happened with Cal.

He won the national championship and after that it was - I don't have to prove anything to anyone, I'm going to do this my way and see if we can put together a string of championships. I'm going to focus on helping these kids get to the NBA or whatever is the best option basketball can provide for them and the University of Kentucky is going to give me the platform at which I can do this as a high leve.

Early on it looked like he was on his way...but as the old saying goes - other teams have coaches too.

Heck you might even argue because of Cal, Louisville is in shambles and a few other programs appear to be on their way.

But back to my primary point - I felt the same way about Tubby. After he won the championship at Kentucky, and he was now in the same air as Rupp, Hall, Pitino - nobody was going to tell him anything. Tubby believed he could bypass the recruiting circuit and could take a group of 3 star players and coach them up to compete over a couple of years of development. Cal believes he can take a group of 5 stars with no experience and coach them up.

What happens between April and November of this year will determine if Cal is ready to adjust to the realities of his coaching and is going long, or if he prefers to stick with his template that has led to a degradation in the performance of his teams.

I don't believe for a minute that Cal isn't coaching his butt off and putting in the work with the team. I just believe his philosophy and refusal to adjust it even slightly contributes greatly to the makeup of this team and our misfortune.

I want to know where the Chris Douglas-Roberts, Antonio Anderson and Joey Dorsey-types are?

Cal had one, ONE freshman that bounced on that 2008 Memphis team that went 38-2 and should’ve won the national title: Rose.

Cal won’t get fired. No way.

But if things don’t get better, he will just take an NBA job. His ego won’t allow him to not win at Kentucky.

He will stay at Kentucky as long as he wants, the seat getting hot comes with the territory. As for taking an NBA job, do you think the players would respond to all of the yelling he does. When the players make more money than the coach that doesn't work to well. Cal belongs in the college game and he knows that.

Who’s the replacement?

This is just a team who needs to return. They’re not ready this year, which is what normal freshman are like.

There is no replacement right now.
We just have to hope this year is an aberration like 2013 and he puts his talents back in front of his ego or we are in for a sketchy future.
I mean look how long this AD let Tubby skate/ coast before enough was enough.

Reactions: - Keyser Soze -

No.

I said the same thing and was attacked by a poster because I implied Cal's recruiting relied heavily on the ranking system. I questioned if they were actually evaluating talent and team needs or just taking a high ranked player to boast of having a top 2 class.

Thing is I don't know which is worse, recruiting based on stars/rankings or messing up player evaluations this bad!

This is the dumbest post that I've seen on here in awhile. And that's saying something considering some of the idiot posts on here lately. You bitch about OAD and then you call for Cal's job when we have a team that looks like will return a great nucleus for the next season. Just amazes me how ridiculous some of our fans are. I love the BBN, I truly do but some of us are complete idiots.

Next year will be a top 5 team.
I hope you're right, but as of this moment I can't say I'm as optimistic as yourself, but that may just be my cynicism over the present season kicking in, LOL.

I respect you as a poster irish, I do, but if we have a mass exodus from this team, I'm not confident in next year.

I pray you're right and I'm wrong.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I was telling my brother that it seems recently that Cals basically looking how many stars a recruit has, and if it’s 5 then he offers.

It doesn’t seem he actually is looking at basketball players anymore. There’s a ton of really good players that aren’t 5 star recruits. I watch as much or more college basketball than anyone. I see players all the time that would be great at UK.

The only thing I don’t agree with you on is that Cal can’t be replaced. I think Cal is a below average strategical coach. He can be replaced.

His strength was recruiting great players, then managing them together as a team. He does that better than anyone. Well, that’s not working this season. One reason is this group is not as talented, and they aren’t buying in to Cals team building philosophy.

Cal has built up a ton of good will, so he’s not in any danger of being on the hot seat. But I will say this, if there’s a mass exodus again, for whatever reason, he’s going to be in deep trouble next season.

I hope you're right, but as of this moment I can't say I'm as optimistic as yourself, but that may just be my cynicism over the present season kicking in, LOL.

I respect you as a poster irish, I do, but if we have a mass exodus from this team, I'm not confident in next year.

I pray you're right and I'm wrong.
Well the good thing is we will all know in June. No one can deny this year has been a shit sandwich but the year isn’t over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT