ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move Calipari onto the hotseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7_1312112.jpg

Reactions: awf
Who’s the replacement?

This is just a team who needs to return. They’re not ready this year, which is what normal freshman are like.
Cal isn't on the hot seat, not for me or anyone else I presume. But if this year's team continues down the current path, and more than 1 of them departs for the draft (Knox is barely ready, the rest are absolutely nowhere close and are regularly abused by average college players), fans and the media should indeed start questioning whether Cal should correct or move on.

Guy above said something about Cal being driven by being on top and the best, but it's pretty obvious that since the Wisconsin loss, something has changed. He actually does appear to be just coasting and not going hard to beat K, who's blatantly taken over as the "king" of recruiting one and dones. I mean there's no reason at all Calipari should have lost the top 3 high school players for 2018-19 to Duke. None at all. But he did, and here we are wondering what kind of class he'll toss together, and which of these mediocre kids currently floundering at UK will choose wisely to return.

Just seems to me Calipari might be in a bit of a burnout funk. Not surprising given how everyone says ~10 years at UK is about the most any coach can handle. Add in that the SEC is finally becoming a juggernaut BBall conference, and Calipari should be either figuring out a way to return his luster, or hang it up and move on to the NBA.

I said the same thing and was attacked by a poster because I implied Cal's recruiting relied heavily on the ranking system. I questioned if they were actually evaluating talent and team needs or just taking a high ranked player to boast of having a top 2 class.

Thing is I don't know which is worse, recruiting based on stars/rankings or messing up player evaluations this bad!
I'm not sure if he is relying on the star system or trying to team build with a terrible strategy. This whole "positionless" basketball theory has lead us to having a whole team of guys mostly 6'4 to 6'9 who can't do the two most important skills in basketball: shoot and handle the ball. It's as if Cal fell in love with everybody's defensive potential and totally forgot that one of the eternal rules of basketball is you can only play 1 guy at a time that can't shoot at all. If you have more than 1 your spacing becomes muddled and the whole offense falls apart. The heavy increase in the NBA of taking and making 3's at a historical pace is starting to filter down into the college game. Shooting is becoming THE most important facet of a basketball player's game and we are still recruiting long, lanky, guys who have broken jump shots. Next year's recruits appear to break that trend thankfully but I think we have to stop prioritizing defense sooooo much over offense in our team building approach.

Next year will be a top 5 team.

I'm sure you had us as a preseason top 5 this year, too. Another year with no elite talents and losing guys off an already medicore roster -> doesn't take a big leap to figure out next year will be pretty similar to this one.

I'm sure you had us as a preseason top 5 this year, too. Another year with no elite talents and losing guys off an already medicore roster -> doesn't take a big leap to figure out next year will be pretty similar to this one.
I didn’t have us anything. And your basketball knowledge could fit comfortably in a mustard seed. ( I will clue you in- that’s really small).

yea I disagree, our players just don't have what it takes, Cal is doing the same thing he's done for the last decade here (nearly anyway) and our players just don't respond, and they aren't that good. Cal is fine.

Cal isn't on the hot seat, not for me or anyone else I presume. But if this year's team continues down the current path, and more than 1 of them departs for the draft (Knox is barely ready, the rest are absolutely nowhere close and are regularly abused by average college players), fans and the media should indeed start questioning whether Cal should correct or move on.

Guy above said something about Cal being driven by being on top and the best, but it's pretty obvious that since the Wisconsin loss, something has changed. He actually does appear to be just coasting and not going hard to beat K, who's blatantly taken over as the "king" of recruiting one and dones. I mean there's no reason at all Calipari should have lost the top 3 high school players for 2018-19 to Duke. None at all. But he did, and here we are wondering what kind of class he'll toss together, and which of these mediocre kids currently floundering at UK will choose wisely to

I will start by saying KY can not fire Cal because of that shitty contract, but that does not mean your seat cannot get hot. There can be pressure placed in other ways.

Look, there’s no wait and see about who goes pro after this pile of $hit of a season. There will be a mass exodus and transfers of people that want to not get played over. This is Cal’s ambition.

Cal’s seat got warm when he declared that the draft was the best day in KY’s history. After his 2ND NIT IN 5 YEARS it will get warmer. For those that that don’t think so, OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Cal did not make KY. KY made cal and has enabled this fantasy NBA prep squad of his. It’s time the fans demand the integrity of the program back. It is about KENTUCKY and nothing fooking else!

morgousky

What happens between April and November of this year will determine if Cal is ready to adjust to the realities of his coaching and is going long, or if he prefers to stick with his template that has led to a degradation in the performance of his teams.

That is a thoughtful post.

Why do many people seem to ignore the performance of Cal's recent UK teams?

2017 We brought in 2.5 studs. We lost in the Elite Eight to the eventual national champs (on a questionable non-call) whom we had beaten previously in the season. Record: 32-6 SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs. #2 seed.

2016 a disappointing season only by UK standards. One of our biggest recruits turned out to be a big disappointment. The team had two players who would have been outstanding on any UK team -- but not much else. Yet...SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs.

2015 38-1

2014 NCAA runners-up

Cal's not perfect, but it's been a great run. IMHO we UK fans are embarrassing ourselves to the rest of college basketball fans.

Last edited:
yea I disagree, our players just don't have what it takes, Cal is doing the same thing he's done for the last decade here (nearly anyway) and our players just don't respond, and they aren't that good. Cal is fine.
Don't say he's fine. Precious little snowflakes are melting over that elsewhere.

There's an element here that isn't discussed. Since this is a crappy thread I'll just lay it here.

Most people that have understood Cal for a long time knows he's a tough nosed guy who wants to be on the top stage. He loves a challenge and the spotlight. He was always seen as a fierce competitor and his teams always reflected that. Even his Memphis teams were tough as nails.

Is Cal that same guy? Is it possible he's just coasting now?

When you look at the makeup of this team, it's just constructed poorly. Diallo doesn't compliment Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt doesn't compliment Washington, Green and SGA don't really seem right together. It just looks like a top 25 random draw. Is Cal really evaluating anymore? Why wouldn't he be expanding to the top 75? Why did he always have guys like CDR or Liggins (he actually really wanted Liggins at Memphis before he was at UK), Antonio Anderson? Hawkins?

Tough, hard nosed, gritty, Calipari players? Where are they? Guys that were like him and felt snubbed or had a rough element, that would die for him. Total trust. Where are they?

I think it's obvious Cal chooses the star system over needs and preferences because he's become obsessed inside of his system. I'm not sure Cal really understands what's happened, and i think a lot of this board is confused as well.

I don't know the answer, but if we are doing that, we need to cut the sht. That star rating system is not based on the best high school players, or the most skilled. It's heavily based on potential, something a lot of people don't seem to understand. If you think a team of 10-30 range prospects are going to produce year in and year out/bolt/rinse repeat I've got some gold bars made of human **** to sell ya.

There is no hot set for Cal yet. He's safe, we cant replace him, and his potential is extremely high. 4 final fours and a title in 8 years, it is what it is. At the same time, he's not unfireable. He needs to correct himself or go pro. Staying the course is not an option. Next year will tell the story. If we have 3-5 guys leave, and Cal is fine with it, we've got a serious issue. If he's too stubborn and arrogant to change, he will doom himself. It's not the fans fault. He's paid too much to ignore it.
Absolute super post. In all of our frustrations we still need to let this play out a couple of years.

I'm sticking with Calipari. Coach K isnt coming and Brad Stevens looks to be set in Boston/NBA for many years.

The improvement for this team starts with Cal. He basically gift wrapped the game last night when his ego put in a player that lost the game in 45 seconds. He can look all over for the tweak but the greatest tweak is on Brad. Earned not Given. Diallo was given a chance. He certainly had not earned it. The bench should be the motivator.

Those 45 seconds when we was up 4, then went down 1 with Diallo on the court is what did it. I totally agree with that part.

I was so hoping that the 3 Hami took in the corner would fall. He then quickly let that snowball into 2 horrible defensive possessions.

I don't think it was an ego thing really. I think it was a tough decision to make. Cal clearly sees that our best chance to win is with both Quade and SGA on the court. But he has to give them brief breaks (especially Quade)

Plug in Hami for a minute or two (tops) or sub Brad in. It is unfortunate but this is the situation and the decision he had to make. Wasn't an ego move at all IMHO.

Agree whole-heartedly. Think about this; SGA is arguably the best player on this team, and it took Green getting hurt for him to finally start. Why? If Cal is truly watching players play, assessing their strengths, and actually evaluating them, how the hell does it take Green getting hurt before he decided to start SGA? I know how, Cal relied on the star system.

He's not constructing his team. He's simply going out and getting what is considered the best players based on ranking. It's stupid.

I'll give an example; let's say Cal has 5 available scholarships. Let's say he's already reeled in 4 players, all in the top 10, all big, athletic power forwards who's strengths are that they can rebound, block shots, and defend, and their weaknesses are that their offensive game is lacking. So he's got one scholarship left and two players to choose from. One player is also in the top 10, but is a power forward in the same exact mold as the 4 players he already has, but let's just say he is the highest ranked out of them all. The other player is barely top 60, but his strengths are he's an excellent shooter, good passer, can score in the midrange, while his weaknesses are he can't defend well. Which player does Cal choose. We all know the answer, and there in lies the problem.

Dumb post. We have passed on so many top players.

Cal is not going to recruit based upon the rankings of Bossi and other non-basketball types.

Another example of our brilliant fanbase...

Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.
Well yet another stupid post by you lol , why don't you just do us all a favor and disappear all together !

I will start by saying KY can not fire Cal because of that shitty contract, but that does not mean your seat cannot get hot. There can be pressure placed in other ways.

Look, there’s no wait and see about who goes pro after this pile of $hit of a season. There will be a mass exodus and transfers of people that want to not get played over. This is Cal’s ambition.

Cal’s seat got warm when he declared that the draft was the best day in KY’s history. After his 2ND NIT IN 5 YEARS it will get warmer. For those that that don’t think so, OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Cal did not make KY. KY made cal and has enabled this fantasy NBA prep squad of his. It’s time the fans demand the integrity of the program back. It is about KENTUCKY and nothing fooking else!
Get over yourself. And you can bitch and moan over and over but let me clue you in- Cal isn’t leaving UK. Nor should he. He will be here as long as he wants to be. And there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it.

Integrity of the program.[roll] Hell, Cal's about the only one who can claim integrity..

Every fan I talk to seems to be about done with the 1 and done crap. 2 NITs in 5 years should be curtains in my opinion. To miss the whole fooking tourny at KY takes some pretty bad coaching.

Sure, he shocked the system with some rediculus recruiting along with a 4 year SR that helped. Those days are over with Coach K and others pulling 1 and dones.

Cal should be getting the talk to start winning and skipping NBA drafts. I bet he is too stubborn to change though.

OP,
Would you rather?
- have a top 20 team every year, with a chance at a Championship, but maybe only a F4 once every 4-5 years, and maybe 1 title every 20 years
- have a team in the F4 twice as often (2 times every 5 years), a championship once every 10 years, BUT 2 bad (NIT) seasons every 10 years also?

Point is you can't have your cake and eat it too, especially trying to do everything above-board & legit without cheating. In 9 seasons we 1 championship, 1 runner-up, 2 more F4's, and 2 more E8's. That is 6 what I would call successful seasons, even though 2 of those (10 & 15) were disappointing finishes. We have only had that level of success from 92-98, and 48-58.

The problem this year is NOT the OAD model, it is that perhaps we have some players who were not evaluated properly, as well as a few big recruiting misses.

Lol no.

Hey, make any bets lately ?

Reactions: kat57
It is obviously too much to ask for fans to see how this goes hand in hand and not necessarily one versus the other...

It is inclusive...it amazes me how some try to make it exclusive. (Good normally makes more, normally wins more, normally wins more championships...normally.)

I like Cal and don't want him to leave. But adjustments have to be made somewhere. I will be the first to admit that I know a lot about the intricacies of recruiting, etc. But these current players were definitely overrated based on the star system. I know most want them to stay and be experienced for next year. Maybe they can improve on their basketball skills. What do I know? However the thing that concerns me is the mindset of some of these players. For example, ALL Diallo wanted, in my opinion, was to USE UK to get to the NBA. I don't see him changing to want to be part of a team just because he stays another year. It's always been about him, him, him. It hasn't improved yet and I don't see it improving by next year. It is most obvious with him, but I don't know about the others. You have to WANT to be a part of a team. To me that is what KENTUCKY is all about. Cal has had great players in the past(much, much better than Diallo) who have given up individual glory for the team and it worked out really well for them in th NBA. So it can be done. That's a resin I want Diallo to go...I don't see him changing his attitude over the summer. Again, the others I don't know about. Just my opinion.

What a turd

Sorry, it should be "I DON'T know alot about the intricacies of basketball recruiting..."

What a stupid ass post. Cal has been incredible we have had a ton of success with him. Who do you want capel? Sean Miller? Hell maybe we can get ole Roy, izzo, or coach k. He had a couple of bad recruiting classes that had 5 star players that's can't shoot. Big deal I wouldn't trade cal for anything because he knows us and he knows the team and how e are. Sometimes we don't deserve cal as he has brought us back from the depths of hell. He deserves more credit guys are going to leave because this is Kentucky and we play on the biggest stage in the land. You look good here for one season and can be a 3 star player and get drafted even though you have no business going. It's the Kentucky effect. I'm guessing you will go large on betting cal to be fired since you probably follow Rex chapman on twitter

Reactions: Cawood86
I thank this team does need some new assistant of course Cal would never let go of a assistant..

not sure why he holds on to his assistants coaches so long, it's not like any of them that have gotten coaching jobs have set the world on fire, you have Coach Antigua who couldn't cut it as a head coach, and we all see what has happened with Coach Barbee he's on our staff now since he couldn't cut it as a head coach, go out and get some better coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: chevyman 50
There can be no such thing as a true hot seat for Cal because of this:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...entucky-that-will-pay-him-8-million-per-year/

That enormous contract extension we just gave him essentially makes him impossible to fire. He's still owed around 50 million dollars on a contract that runs through 2024. Ain't no way UK's eating a buyout that large.

FWIW, I don't think Cal should be on the hot seat anyways. But just pointing out that it's really not even an option in this case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT