ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Gabriel says ..

While lol if true, that would kinda go against other media members saying Cal has still not told Mitch he's been in talks with Arkansas.

If Cal went to Mitch and told him "this is what I want or I'm going to Arkansas", then he's technically told Mitch he's been in talks with Arkansas.

Reactions: UKat1
Long time connections , and probably not one to come out with something bogus unless he was told by someone who’d know. Also sort of makes sense that maybe Cal figured that was the notification he was in ‘discussions’ that people have been talking about.
What did Calipari want?

While lol if true, that would kinda go against other media members saying Cal has still not told Mitch he's been in talks with Arkansas.

If Cal went to Mitch and told him "this is what I want or I'm going to Arkansas", then he's technically told Mitch he's been in talks with Arkansas.
The question is was it before or after the talks

I mean if he was winning yeah….but he has been sucking so what leverage did he have. Furthermore he has the greatest contract of all time . What’s else did he want?

I have a hard time swallowing this one too, even with Cal’s ego.

I mean, he had to know that the only reason he wasn’t let go was because of that 33 million buyout. And he’s going to use an offer to leverage for MORE? There’s no way.
It was probably more about removal of obstacles/oversight that Barney placed on him in that post-Oakland loss meeting than it was monetary. And/or related more to NIL than his salary. In other words, his demands on what it would take probably was around regaining control and pumping NIL more so than his own paycheck.

This is how Cal is. He got raises every other time schools or NBA teams have approached him. It’s just this time we don’t want him back.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Good question. Maybe more NIL and that practice facility he’s talked about. Maybe nepotism waived , so he could hire Brad like he is in Arky
This is what probably happened. I think Cal's disconnect from the big money boosters and fans had caused him to lose his ability to raise NIL funds to keep the big time recruits coming in. I believe he wanted a guaranteed amount of NIL dollars and he didn't get it. I have read that that was the big request from Cal to Arkansas was a NIL of around 5 million a year (from Tyson foods and others). I believe if we get the right coach they can get the NIL money guarantee that Cal was asking for. Poor results along with alienating donors, fans and your boss caused the issues and ultimately ended Cal's coaching career at UK. Several players have intimated that they did not receive the NIL money that they were promised and I don't think it was a player issue or lack of funds, I believe it was a Calipari/donor/fan issue.

Just my opinion by reading the tea leaves.

GBB

Thats exactly what he did according to Dick. He tried to tell Mitch ''heres what its gonna take to keep me here''. And Mitch said ''nah''.
Can you imagine if Mitch would have caved to his demands. I think Mitch would have been tarred and feathered.

Imagine sucking at your job for 4 years, everyone wants to fire you, and then you call for a company meeting to ask for a counter offer to match what you could be making down the road.

Rich people problems.

Gabriel says that UK will make Hurley say no, then reach out to Oats and also listed Drew, Todd Golden and TJ Otzelberger as potential candidates. He is the first media person I have heard mention Golden or Otzelberger.

Gabriel says that UK will make Hurley say no, then reach out to Oats and also listed Drew, Todd Golden and TJ Otzelberger as potential candidates. He is the first media person I have heard mention Golden or Otzelberger.
Golden should be mentioned more . He did just sign a new deal in Florida after being mentioned for Michigan or OSU jobs

Reactions: Festivus Miracle
Read the damn room, Cal. There’s no begging you back. It’s more like begging you to leave.
The balls on this guy. 😂

Does money make everyone this delusional and disconnected?

Mitch inside was probably was like “Thank God!.” And said “Yeah, I don’t think so. We wish you well.”

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Barnhart just sent this to Cal's phone
well-bye-bye.gif

Reactions: wkycatfan
Wow! I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Cal's ego, but man that is hard to believe. How blind to your own shortcomings would you have to be to come back to UK and say "Arkansas offered me this, if you want me, you have to beat it." I mean, seriously, we had you on a lifetime contract for over $10 million a year for 3 more years and the team has been terrible! And you want us to get into a bidding war or ANY kind of war with Arkansas to keep you? We're just relieved we don't have to waste $33 million. See ya!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Its all a classib Cal ploy. He has no desire to stay here and is already set to leave, but in recent days the national media has portrayed him as running away cowardly from this situation . . . SO in a classic Cal move, he is trying to make turn that around so that it looks like it was just a business decision and UK turned him down and gave him no choice but to leave. CLASSIC!

Golden should be mentioned more . He did just sign a new deal in Florida after being mentioned for Michigan or OSU jobs
In no form would his hiring seem like it, but he might be the best option. He is young, hungry and can floor coach. He is not a proven recruiter just yet but seems to be on his way to that at UF. I hope we can Home Run hire but he would not be the worst safety net.

…He understands that Calipari actually approached the UK administration with a ‘here’s what it’s going to take to keep me ‘ offer after hearing from Arkansas..

Glad the administration turned him down. After the last 5 years he has the audacity to try and hold the school hostage again.

Reactions: Smashcat
Cal wanted guaranteed NIL money from Kentucky. It isn't there and wasn't going to be there from Mitch. Arkansas said, we'll give it to you. He went back to Mitch and said Arkansas is willing to give it to me. Mitch said, good luck in Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT