ADVERTISEMENT

This is one reason why we’re going to love this coaching staff!

I guarantee you that Pope's staff has placed more game film attention into Travis Perry in just four weeks than Cal's staff had since last November when he committed.

Perry was never going to be much in Cal's system of OAD top 10 recruit ass kissery.

I guarantee you that Pope's staff has placed more game film attention into Travis Perry in just four weeks than Cal's staff had since last November when he committed.

Perry was never going to be much in Cal's system of OAD top 10 recruit ass kissery.
Pope's staff likely put more attention into Perry than all of Cal's staff did with his previous recruiting classes combined over the past 5 years. By the end he was simply hunting for 5 stars no matter the fit and hoping their talent would rise above the deficiencies of the roster's construction.

We have an assistant coach watching film on our players. Man our last coaching staff didn’t even know how to find the film room!

John Calipari never produced an assistant that went on to be a head coach that was anything but a flop. His current assistants are still with him because no one wants them as their head coach. Kenny Payne, Bruiser Flint, ect.... Who besides Calipari would want clowns like these guys

Cal just told everybody in his CBS article that he had the same view of Reed, asking him if he every thought he would even play coming in!!! Reed was like nope because he knew Cal just viewed him as some Kentucky kid looking for mopup minutes. If you watched Reed play at all in the AAU games you knew he was a baller!

Exactly it would’ve been so damn sweet he was so wasted in his one year here with Cal!
You just know he would have enjoyed his experience here so much more. Would be a good definition of a player being used. I know he played a ton of minutes but things like not starting and being called on many times to be the hero because of inept coaching just was not right.

Reed Sheppard and Dillingham were way under utilized last season. A coach should just go walk in the tunnel at half and stay in the locker room if you've got Reeves, Dillingham, and Sheppard healthy and available to take shots, but instead Edwards, Wagner, and Mitchell were given the green light to lay some bricks.

Arkansas fans are going to find out what we've been talking about soon enough.

Reed Sheppard and Dillingham were way under utilized last season. A coach should just go walk in the tunnel at half and stay in the locker room if you've got Reeves, Dillingham, and Sheppard healthy and available to take shots, but instead Edwards, Wagner, and Mitchell were given the green light to lay some bricks.

You are right about Wagner and partially right about Edwards though by the end of the year, Edwards was playing pretty well. I completely disagree about Mitchell. He was the reason for many of out early season wins and other than the missed games due to injury, he earned his PT.

Reactions: bigbluedon
You are right about Wagner and partially right about Edwards though by the end of the year, Edwards was playing pretty well. I completely disagree about Mitchell. He was the reason for many of out early season wins and other than the missed games due to injury, he earned his PT.
Something happened to Mitchell after his injury and he never put it back together. He looked like a different player in the SEC schedule and postseason. He couldn't hit the outside shot and wasn't fighting for rebounds/on defense either.

Many of the posters on here have never seen Perry or Noah play except some youtube highlights. They are both great shooters but also great scorers and score in bunches. As someone said, they are open when they cross mid court.
My cousin (the same one who watched Reed play) has seen Perry and Noah play several times because he is a coach and travels around watching in state kids play. He has told me when he heard they are BOTH coming to Kentucky, he was totally pumped! I haven't watched them in person with my cousin like I did Reed, but I've seen some film my cousin shot and they are going to surprise everyone. I can't wait!!!!

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

John Calipari never produced an assistant that went on to be a head coach that was anything but a flop. His current assistants are still with him because no one wants them as their head coach. Kenny Payne, Bruiser Flint, ect.... Who besides Calipari would want clowns like these guys
I agree with your theory and Kenny Payne isn’t really cut out to be a head coach but he’s not a ‘clown’. Putting him in the same category as Bruiser Flint isn’t accurate at all.

Dillingham had the highest number of shot attempts per minute of playing time over the fifteen years Calipari was here. He got shots.

Cal just told everybody in his CBS article that he had the same view of Reed, asking him if he every thought he would even play coming in!!! Reed was like nope because he knew Cal just viewed him as some Kentucky kid looking for mopup minutes. If you watched Reed play at all in the AAU games you knew he was a baller!
It almost makes you wonder if some of Reed's inconsistent play (30 pts in one game, 6 in the next; there was a stretch at the beginning of SEC play where he took like 4 shots in 3 games or something) had to do with confidence, especially him being unsure whether his coach had confidence in him.

Something happened to Mitchell after his injury and he never put it back together. He looked like a different player in the SEC schedule and postseason. He couldn't hit the outside shot and wasn't fighting for rebounds/on defense either.
I think it was partially some kind of post-injury slump, but also he was used very differently late in the year once the three 7-footers were getting minutes. I actually think Mitchell could've been a very good player in Pope's offense as a big who could pass and initiate offensive sets from the top of the key.

Dillingham had the highest number of shot attempts per minute of playing time over the fifteen years Calipari was here. He got shots.
Some of that disparity is due to the style of play during parts of the season. During a good chunk of the year, the team was running some variant of 5 out pace and space. I contend that Dillingham and Sheppard in particular should have taken even more shots. They also should have been on the court with Reeves more often.

Would have, could have, should have is a hallmark of the Cal era, aside from 2012.

I think it was partially some kind of post-injury slump, but also he was used very differently late in the year once the three 7-footers were getting minutes. I actually think Mitchell could've been a very good player in Pope's offense as a big who could pass and initiate offensive sets from the top of the key.
That is true, Mitchell playing at the 4 was an odd choice when he had looked better up top running the 5. On defense, he had trouble staying with the quicker forwards. I could understand it if we got better production at the 5, but other than some shot blocking from Onyenso, we were really weak at the 5 last season.

Reactions: catfan220

But they have a loaded roster! You don’t even know what your talking about…

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think Travis Perry and Trent Noah both epitomize everything Mark Pope talks about in playing for the name across the front of the Jersey. Both have just happened to come along at the same time. I think we will get goosebumps watching them both play and shoot the other teams off the floor, much like I did when Reed would go on a heater last year..Hadnt had that feeling about a Kentucky game in several years. Such a shame Reed couldnt have played his only year under Coach Pope, instead of a used car salesman posing as a basketball coach.

I think Travis Perry and Trent Noah both epitomize everything Mark Pope talks about in playing for the name across the front of the Jersey. Both have just happened to come along at the same time. I think we will get goosebumps watching them both play and shoot the other teams off the floor, much like I did when Reed would go on a heater last year..Hadnt had that feeling about a Kentucky game in several years. Such a shame Reed couldnt have played his only year under Coach Pope, instead of a used car salesman posing as a basketball coach.
Good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT