ADVERTISEMENT

Cal never told the players

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Pilgrim reported that the current players didn’t even know and were blindsided and assistants contacted a recruit last night. But everyone was blindsided by this and they still haven’t heard from the coaching staff.

Said one recruits parent said they like Nate or Scott

How can players follow this man to Arkansas? Players first right?

Pilgrim reported that the current players didn’t even know and were blindsided and assistants contacted a recruit last night. But everyone was blindsided by this and they still haven’t heard from the coaching staff.

Imagine that. All about Cal. Who knew?

Look, we're going to learn a LOT over the next few days .... the guy was a POS.

I have a friend who is on the board at the country club in Memphis where Cal was a member .... he stiffed them (the club, not Memphis) on a massive bill and over $50k in gambling debts when he bounced to UK. That's just a tiny example of who he is behind the scenes.

Last edited:

I have a friend who is on the board at the country club in Memphis where Cal was a member .... he stiffed them on a massive bill and over $50k in gambling debts when he bounced to UK. That's just a tiny example of who he is behind the scenes.
He left 33 million on table that UK owed him

I have a friend who is on the board at the country club in Memphis where Cal was a member .... he stiffed them on a massive bill and over $50k in gambling debts when he bounced to UK. That's just a tiny example of who he is behind the scenes.
That might explain some of these tournament losses.

Assume all current players and our 6 recruits are all gone.. With portal, not so much an issue. But we may take a hit next season.. but I didn’t have high expectations for next year with Calipari.

And bottom line is, Calipari was leaving at some point in next 5 years.. so this was going to happen. Just when… If you get a home run hire, may even have a better team next year. Solid, and it may take us another year.

New coach might get a couple current players back, and 1-2 of the recruits, but assume they are all gone.

Assume all current players and our 6 recruits are all gone.. With portal, not so much an issue. But we may take a hit next season.. but I didn’t have high expectations for next year with Calipari.

And bottom line is, Calipari was leaving at some point in next 5 years.. so this was going to happen. Just when… If you get a home run hire, may even have a better team next year. Solid, and it may take us another year.

New coach might get a couple current players back, and 1-2 of the recruits, but assume they are all gone.
I bet some players will be back BECAUSE Cal is leaving

My point was simply that he is a POS behind the scenes. I said it was a small example of the type of guy he is - I'm talking about a country club debt, not the University of Memphis. Good Lord, dude.
I wish Cal well, this is best for both parties, and I don’t think it could’ve ended any better. Don’t agree he’s a POS and him not taking 33 million when he could have is a sign of that imo. Time for BBN to reunite under a new coach!

Did Cal really have great relationships with the current players? My impression that was left to the Assistant coaches. Unless Cal brings the entire staff, I am not sure there will be a big desire to follow him. Now recruits is likely a different story. It may be a step back for next season but not if the new coach can attract portal transfers. Exactly which of the new recruits looked like instant success?

Reactions: WeWant9
Good grief. Perry has signed an LOI. Mitch would have to release him. He is not going anywhere. Some of you all worry about the damndest things.
Not true. Players can and do get out of their signed letter of intent. Perry can if he so chooses, leave with no issues. He doesn't have to get shit from Mitch. If a signed players coach leaves, they are free and clear of their signed commitment, but I see Perry actually staying. Maybe Cybril, other than that, all gone. MOST will follow Cal. And do not think that was not one of the major factors in Arkansas going after Cal, they know he will bring talent with him.

Reactions: d2atTech
Wrong. He is getting paid more than 33 million from Arkansas. Only caveat is he could just sit on his ass and draw the 33 million from us but at Arkansas he will have to continue sitting on his ass on the sideline to get paid. He has done nothing but sit on his ass since 2019, that ain’t gonna change now.

No, he did NOT “leave” that money, because he was not entitled to it. That was a buyout amount that he only got if UK fired him without cause this year. Since Mitch expressly declined to do that, he had no claim to that money.

Instead, he simply swapped one fat contract with five remaining years here for another fat five year contract at Arkansas.

because he has at least $5m to hand out.

If you're only going to stay a year, who cares where it is. Its not about winning , and it hasn't been for quite some time.

You talking about him taking 50k from Memphis like it’s a big deal and downplaying 33 million 😂
He had to work for that or get fired. So he didn’t leave it on the table. He’s still getting his money—just from Arkansas now.

Reactions: Blueaz
You talking about him taking 50k from Memphis like it’s a big deal and downplaying 33 million 😂
Once again, you don’t seem to understand what the 33 million represents.

The 50k was money actually owed. Whereas the 33 million only represents something that theoretically could’ve been owed if something that did NOT happen had happened. There’s a huge difference between these things,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT