ADVERTISEMENT

This Dukie is probably right, Lively's choice most likely gives Duke or UK the #1 class

Uh I think that Dukie is probably wrong, if UK gets all of those guys they would have like 3 top 10 and 5 top 15 players without Lively, including the #1 player.

I don’t know how Duke’s collection of misfit toys paired with Lively would top that.

Reactions: wcc31 and sdb1880
You're crazy to pick such a young, inexperienced and unproven guy to send your kid to play for, who is an elite prospect. What if Scheyer is in over his head, and the team completely suffers? Why even take that risk over sending your kid to Cal?

It would be like choosing 1st year Tayshaun Prince as UK's coach over Coach K at Duke. A total gamble.

Maybe you still want to say that you played basketball for Duke (I really don't get this to begin with), but now isn't the time. This is when you say "I'm going to have to go elsewhere, because their head coach just started and he's not old enough to be my dad."
Dude people want to play for Duke for the top tier education obviously!

That's kind of what I'm insinuating. There's no feasible way someone would pick Jon Scheyer over Cal. Scheyer, who also has zero coolness factor with recruits. He's the anti-Penny/Juwan. It sure seems like business as usual for Duke. But they still have to succeed, and he still has to coach... K could, Scheyer, not too sure. How long does mediocrity lead to Duke's image falling off, and therefor, Nike money starting to wane? Maybe never, IDK.

Disagree on UNC, though. Or at least, they aren't close to Duke's level. Their recruiting is still stagnant. They seem to be several steps behind.
UNC is a Michael Jordan/Nike endorsement away from dominating recruiting. Jordan Brand could sign kids right out of high school and while they play for UNC. MJ could pay them more than anyone.

If I was a UNC fan, I'd be excited about this option.

UNC is a Michael Jordan/Nike endorsement away from dominating recruiting. Jordan Brand could sign kids right out of high school and while they play for UNC. MJ could pay them more than anyone.

If I was a UNC fan, I'd be excited about this option.

Not sure it would happen. Because if it was that simple, I'm sure they would have by now. IDK if Jordan really cares about UNC, so much that he cares to fund their recruiting bill.

Maybe that changes though? I'm sure UNC is working on the NIL thing like we are.. but for whatever reason, Roy Williams lost his touch there with recruiting, and UNC almost seems like an after thought.

I thought most of us are past the #1 class ranking BS. Hasn’t gotten us anywhere we want to be besides NBA draft wise. Duke had the damn 1 2 and 3 with the top point guard and how did that work out.
It matters, my friend. But I get your point. However, mix in a couple of vets and you win a national championship.

It matters, my friend. But I get your point. However, mix in a couple of vets and you win a national championship.
It does matter for programs like Kentucky. But you also need experienced vets. Some leftover 4 stars. If you return at least 4 or 5 scholarship players with a top class that includes at least 1 top 5 and maybe 2 top 10 players with a couple other 5 stars and a 4 star or two, then that’s a solid mix. Add in 1-2 transfers

last time I check UK had some crystal ball picks, Duke has 0

5 years ago, I'd say get his jersey ready. But for whatever reason, we've had several guys we thought were UK locks, who pick Duke in the final hours, almost comically. Like Coach K was toying with us. So seeing all these UK picks all the sudden, makes me wonder if they are all feeding off of one source that has bad info, purposely.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
5 years ago, I'd say get his jersey ready. But for whatever reason, we've had several guys we thought were UK locks, who pick Duke in the final hours, almost comically. Like Coach K was toying with us. So seeing all these UK picks all the sudden, makes me wonder if they are all feeding off of one source that has bad info, purposely.
I hear you, but Lively is far from a lock. I do remember us stealing Knox from Duke last minute lol.

Not that this is a sign, he is ky bound. But sharpe commits, now lively movement. Good vibes.

Just been a very “quiet” recruitment thus far. Plus, anytime duke enters the picture, that’s enough to make us paranoid. Hard to consistently beat out a program that has no rules.
No doubt, I will say that quiet recruiting works out for us better than “dream school” and Kentucky leads all year until commitment day.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I mean you can play for Calipari or Jon ****ing Scheyer...
Who wouldn't want to play for this man?

Jon_Scheyer_Goofy_Face.jpg

i thought he committed to memphis already? did i miss something?
Memphis isn’t recruiting Lively. You must be thinking of someone else.

And as to the original post, I think if Kentucky lands Livingston & Wallace to go with Sharpe & Clark, I think they have the top class regardless of Lively‘s decision.

Reactions: gharding07
But they still have to succeed, and he still has to coach... K could, Scheyer, not too sure. How long does mediocrity lead to Duke's image falling off, and therefor, Nike money starting to wane? Maybe never, IDK.

Hate to say it but mediocrity might cut it. How long has it been since K would have been anything but mediocre without Nike, selection protection, and that magical whistle?

Not sure it would happen. Because if it was that simple, I'm sure they would have by now. IDK if Jordan really cares about UNC, so much that he cares to fund their recruiting bill.

Maybe that changes though? I'm sure UNC is working on the NIL thing like we are.. but for whatever reason, Roy Williams lost his touch there with recruiting, and UNC almost seems like an after thought.

Maybe the UNC research center that helped create the virus can help with NIL? China wants to investigate but the ncaa says there’s nothing to see here.

Duke is still in good standing for several players so I'd say yes; whoever gets Lively will be #1.
Kentucky is getting two top 5 players, and 5+ top 15 players.

Kentucky will be #1 whether y’all got a big enough bag for Lively or not. Y’all Duke fans desperate for a moral victory, y’all ain’t been winning shit with the top recruits in the country the last 5 years.

Ratface Jr. getting a promotion isn’t going to fix on the court product, because your problem hasn’t been a lack of talent.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Not sure this is that true. Let's give Lively to Duke, but we pretty much have Livingston, Wallace and Bona locked up. I know that's not definite, but that seems to be the likely scenario.

Duke would have the 2, 5, 10 and 47
Kentucky would have the 1, 9, 12, 16 and 17.

What it basically comes down to is that the 12th, 16th, and 17th recruits for sure cancel out the 5th (Our 1st and 9th tops their 2nd and 10th).

So no, Lively going to Duke does not give them the #1 class.

Not sure this is that true. Let's give Lively to Duke, but we pretty much have Livingston, Wallace and Bona locked up. I know that's not definite, but that seems to be the likely scenario.

What it basically comes down to is that the 12th, 16th, and 17th recruits for sure cancel out the 5th (Our 1st and 9th tops their 2nd and 10th).

Also I’m pretty sure you used Livingston’s lowest ranking, I’ve seen Livingston ahead of Whitehead.

I think you are missing one of Mitchell/Flopowski for Duke. Their theoretical class would have 5 or 6 if you throw Starling in there as well.

Also I’m pretty sure you used Livingston’s lowest ranking, I’ve seen Livingston ahead of Whitehead.

Possibly, I just went with ESPN, which if anything, helps Duke's argument for the better class. I imagine using 24/7 is more closer to actual ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT