ADVERTISEMENT

Thin Roster

struggler

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2013
After a season derailed by injuries... again (wheeler washington grady fredrick)... Cal builds another super thin roster with zero margins.

I guess maybe he could bring someone in mid season to contribute... Oh wait.

Results = what is done not what is said. Sure last regular season was good but the team was worn out and roster too thin by the time March hit (most important time we're told).

Same lame crap. Point Guard will be a problem I believe.

Last edited:
After a season derailed by injuries... again (wheeler washington grady fredrick)... Cal builds another super thin roster with zero margins.

Results = what is done not what is said. Sure last regular season was good but the team was worn out and roster too thin by the time March hit (most important time we're told).

It wasn't too thin last year. Cal had plenty of players last year. Cal's problem is he doesn't develop those bench plyers through out the season. If Cal had 13 players only 7 maybe 8 would be ready to play at season's end. The rest would ride the bench then transfer like this past yr.

Same lame post

It wasn't too thin last year. Cal had plenty of players last year. Cal's problem is he doesn't develop those bench plyers through out the season. If Cal had 13 players only 7 maybe 8 would be ready to play at season's end. The rest would ride the bench then transfer like this past yr.
No good teams play more than 7 or 8 guys. Try again

Reactions: ukcatz12

The thin roster argument has been brought up ad nauseam and I don’t buy it. I really don’t buy the PG will be a problem. It wasn’t last year and it won’t be this year.

This is true and someone posted the playing time of rotation players 6-9 between Duke, UK, UNC & KU last season and UK played its 6-9 guys the most minutes.
Another myth used by the haters to bash UK and the players and coaches. Any lie that fits their narrative they go with.

While I would like to add some depth, it’s not because we are too thin. I just like the idea of using all available scholarships in an attempt to build rosters for the future.

In theory, you bring in multi-year guys and develop them, so your 10-11-12 guys become your 7-8-9 guys next season, and your 5-6-7 guys by their Junior years.

Of course, we probably lose them to transfer, but that’s part of it. That’s why you add players 10, 11, and 12 and hope at least one sticks around to be a role player the next season. Odds are better that one comes back if you add more than one of those types of players.

But as for depth to guard against injury, that doesn’t really work. Your 10-11-12 guys aren’t going to replace any of your top players.

If we lost Tshiebwe to a season ending injury, the season is over. We all know that. If Toppin goes down, Cal increases Collins’ minutes and plays Livingston more at the 4 and the guards pick up the slack at the 1-3. If one of the guards goes down, Toppin may have to play some at the 3 to compensate. But adding another player isn’t going to help much.

Now adding another star level player is a different issue. Adding someone to be a starter or key reserve to improve the lineup would be fine with me. But the problem there is chemistry. Would the player or players that this new player is pushing down the pecking order accept this or would they mope and whine and (inadvertently) disrupt team chemistry? That is the risk you take when you add another talented player to a team with 8 guys who expect to play major minutes.

I say add as many as you can and let them compete for their spots. But Cal has a different philosophy, which I can understand.

So, while I like the idea of filling out the roster with another top notch player, I do see where that could backfire.

But like I said, I would add a couple more guys to build for the future, instead of just standing pat at 10 players.

If you’ve got the scholarships, use them.

Are all these poster that continue to post the SOS on a party line and take turns?

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
It wasn't? I know you don't think it was Cal.

What was the problem then since you seem so sure of yourself?

Lemme guess, you're gonna blame injuries? Such a good boy you are.
Agree - and if they want to blame injuries... thus the need for a deeper and developed roster. Last year's roster was fine... until injuries... which never had time to heal for TyTy and Grady at minimum... no developed depth - thus a roster too thin.

How many times do you end a season with "if only we hadn't had injuries" before you work to mitigate the issue? Apparently at least one more...

I'd love a dependable healthy rotation all season - the reality is that is a tough ask and must be planned for.

Oh and Ed... bless your heart... still thick, witless and predictable.

Agree - and if they want to blame injuries... thus the need for a deeper and developed roster. Last year's roster was fine... until injuries... which never had time to heal for TyTy and Grady at minimum... no developed depth - thus a roster too thin.

How many times do you end a season with "if only we hadn't had injuries" before you work to mitigate the issue? Apparently at least one more...

I'd love a dependable healthy rotation all season - the reality is that is a tough ask and must be planned for.

I mean we had what, 6 guards on the roster last season and 5 of them were injured at some point last season. I am not sure how much depth you can garner there more than 6 players. Losing CJ before the season hurt UK big time down the stretch with Tyty & Grady not 100%. I am also not sure if Wheeler was ever 100% after hurting his wrist and missing time. Mintz was very inconsistent as well, and the team never recovered from the injuries. The problem is without Sharpe, you only had Allen at the guard spot, and he shot atrocious against the cupcakes so he was not going to get run against SEC teams. I suppose we could have played him 20 minutes and just lost the Alabama & LSU home games late in the year and dropped some seed lines, but if that meant a healthier Grady it would have been worth it.

The big issue is the Sharpe elephant in the room and I 100% agree it is BS he was not made to play to help the team. If you are here taking NIL & scholarship money, you need to earn your keep. He stole from UK and the commonwealth IMO.

No one. I mean no one. Lives up to their name like you.

Do not understand why he refuses to use all the scholarships, it's not like they are going to transfer after a year or so, they already do that now.

Reactions: struggler
The roster only gets thin if we have injuries, which given recent history seems likely. It is a calculated risk by our coach but given the contract he is working under maybe not so much.

This team has it all:
Depth
Talent
Stud Freshman
Makers
Assisters
Defensive Stoppers
Rim Protectors
Size
Speed
Uber athleticism
Reigning NPOTY
HOF Coach
And none of that will matter if an injury hits the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Or we have an off night in a single elimination tourney.

We all want the same thing, #9. But some of us are optimists (like you), some are pessimists, and some are realists (like me). I think this can be a great team, but a lot has to go our way if we want to make a deep run.

Heck, even the ‘12 team needed to catch some breaks to get us #8.

You and your small crew of Cal sycophants could start your own thread with Cal pictures and lip stick smudges on them.

Really showed your intelligence and maturity level there. I'm on record with critiques and complaints with Cal as a coach but as a Fan I don't keep beating them in the ground. My theory is if your that unhappy with the team and program your supposed to be a fan of then find another. Your allowed to do that lol. Please do!

And none of that will matter if an injury hits the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Or we have an off night in a single elimination tourney.

We all want the same thing, #9. But some of us are optimists (like you), some are pessimists, and some are realists (like me). I think this can be a great team, but a lot has to go our way if we want to make a deep run.

Heck, even the ‘12 team needed to catch some breaks to get us #8.
Good post. I would say with any championship team you need some luck to go your way.

Really showed your intelligence and maturity level there. I'm on record with critiques and complaints with Cal as a coach but as a Fan I don't keep beating them in the ground. My theory is if your that unhappy with the team and program your supposed to be a fan of then find another. Your allowed to do that lol. Please do!
Once again^ PURPOSELY attempting to conflate Calipari criticism with criticism of the team. People like you and Ed and the other Bass screen name make it personal everytime someone has legitimate grievances with the way he is running the team. So don't cry when someone makes it personal right back. Btw it's You're not Your.

Well good for you. I'm glad you're such a stand up guy and you're not one that voices his/her opinion more than a few times. That’s cool, but why don't you do you and everyone else post how they want to post?

Oh and I get that you feel those that speak out against Cal should go find another program to cheer for, but you should probably start figuring out the difference between "your" and "you're". Maybe you really shouldn't be giving advice.

You damn sure shouldn’t be cutting someone down for their lack of intelligence when you can’t even figure out how to spell "you're".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT