Assisters
Defensive Stoppers
Rim Protectors
Size
Speed
Uber athleticism
Reigning NPOTY
HOF Coach
You left off rebounding. This may end up being one of the best rebounding teams of all time.

Last edited:
A good enough big could play with him. If Collins or even Brooks could be out there with him what's the difference from a talented big.
We have Toppin and Collins at the 4 spot. They are expected to get most of the minutes there. So who wants to come in and compete with them for the 4 spot?

Let’s be realistic, it would be hard to find a quality big man willing to join this roster.

Reactions: JonathanW
You left off rebounding. This may end up being one of the best rebounding teams of all time.
This team could be and really should be the best rebounding team in the nation and maybe Cal’s best rebounding team ever.

Toppin has the athleticism at the 4 to be an elite rebounder.

Livingston is long and athletic at the 3.

Wallace is 6’4, athletic, and built well. He should be able to board at the 2 spot.

Collins and Ware should be able to hold their own as reserves.

Reeves has been a solid rebounder for a guard during his career averaging over 3 a game.

Oh, and there’s that one guy who plays the 5, that’s a decent rebounder. What’s his name? Starts with a T. LOL!

Reactions: Seakat311
We have Toppin and Collins at the 4 spot. They are expected to get most of the minutes there. So who wants to come in and compete with them for the 4 spot?

Let’s be realistic, it would be hard to find a quality big man willing to join this roster.
Look back at past teams. We had plenty of good bigs behind great ones. Not sure what has changed and it seems like every year we say we are 1 player away. Having 1 real big feels very dangerous. What if O went down? Goodbye season.

Reactions: Catfan2226
It wasn't too thin last year. Cal had plenty of players last year. Cal's problem is he doesn't develop those bench plyers through out the season. If Cal had 13 players only 7 maybe 8 would be ready to play at season's end. The rest would ride the bench then transfer like this past yr.
Isn't it odd that the last few NCAA championship didn't go more than 8 deep with quality depth. Kansas and NC Cheat neither were deep this year. Everyone just wants to BITCH about something.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
The thin roster argument has been brought up ad nauseam and I don’t buy it. I really don’t buy the PG will be a problem. It wasn’t last year and it won’t be this year.
Your so dead on, but the same ole same ole will continue to show their colors.

Yeah UK fans have nothing to complain about lately.Cal is killing it.
Didn't say you can't complain but the thin arguments are BS, all you have to do is look at the minutes of the top teams year in tear out. I know that takes effort and the thin roster argument wi be a moot point.

Didn't say you can't complain but the thin arguments are BS, all you have to do is look at the minutes of the top teams year in tear out. I know that takes effort and the thin roster argument wi be a moot point.
Not if CJ gets hurt like every other season he has played.

Reactions: struggler
I don't know if I have seen many college teams better than our 2011-12 team and that team was not deep at all.

Also on PG, Wheeler is not going to work if Oscar is standing in the lane 24/7. The issues at pg late in the year last year imo were because Oscar had to play in the paint area a lot cause we needed his scoring when tyty and grady's scoring fell off. If we are able to find a way to let Oscar roam around the court on offense and keep up the same rebounding numbers, this team will be pretty dang good. Wheeler can take anyone in the country off the dribble and if Oscar and the other teams big aren't standing in the paint taking up space then he will get paint touches all day and score or create.
Damn Mark, I thought you knew only football. I understand now you actually watched the games and correctly evaluated them, good job.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark_Stoops
It's how Cal wants it. He only has to coach 6 or 7 guys that way. It's also how all the handlers insist it be. Hell, they only want 5 guys playing...their guys.

Really showed your intelligence and maturity level there. I'm on record with critiques and complaints with Cal as a coach but as a Fan I don't keep beating them in the ground. My theory is if your that unhappy with the team and program your supposed to be a fan of then find another. Your allowed to do that lol. Please do!
Another cry baby post. Looks like you got destroyed in this thread on this “intelligent” post. LOL

Reactions: blue woman
It's how Cal wants it. He only has to coach 6 or 7 guys that way. It's also how all the handlers insist it be. Hell, they only want 5 guys playing...their guys.
I get that, and I agree to some extent, in that Cal doesn't want to deal with all the expectations of playing time.

But the other side of it highlights a blatant absurdity on Cal's part: is he truly incapable of finding guys in that Dom Hawkins category of skill level who are okay with a long-term plan?

I'm hoping Thiero fits that category.

I'm also hoping Cal adds Dillingham as a reclass. We need some guard depth, and having Dillingham for two years would be huge.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
I get that, and I agree to some extent, in that Cal doesn't want to deal with all the expectations of playing time.

But the other side of it highlights a blatant absurdity on Cal's part: is he truly incapable of finding guys in that Dom Hawkins category of skill level who are okay with a long-term plan?

I'm also hoping Cal adds Dillingham as a reclass. We need some guard depth, and having Dillingham for two years would be huge.
I agree with your post. I think if Dillingham reclassified and played for us this season that we would definitely be a national title contender. We may have a team that’s already that good, I just worry about depth.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

I am right there with you bro!

Dream scenario for me is adding Dillingham and Kingsley as reclasses to give us a 12 man roster.

I know finding minutes for that many players will be tough, but that’s why Cal makes the big bucks. Earn those millions and put the best squad you possibly can together.

The issue with this team will be who is going to be the go-to-guy to make a shot when it’s in the crucial moments of the game.

I just hope it’s not a repeat of the wrong guys shooting those shots in crucial times.

The wrong guy taking the wrong shot is the equivalent to a turnover.

Wheeler
Wallace
Frederick
Reeves
Livingston
Toppin
Collins
Oscar
Ware

We are basically 2 deep at every position.
Factor in the returning NPOTY and I like our chances.

This team is loaded.
This team is better than last year's team. Losing Brooks will hurt. They have to have Collins start and play well. This team will defend and drive to the basket. Not take those 3s that gets us in trouble. Plus the talent is better. See what i meant all season last year. The team lacked talent and I got heat. But if you know the game you can see the team just didn't have it. This one will. Cal going back to his roots.

Almost as thin as that 2012 team that only played 7 and sometimes relied on 6. Can’t remember how did that work out?

After a season derailed by injuries... again (wheeler washington grady fredrick)... Cal builds another super thin roster with zero margins.

I guess maybe he could bring someone in mid season to contribute... Oh wait.

Results = what is done not what is said. Sure last regular season was good but the team was worn out and roster too thin by the time March hit (most important time we're told).

Same lame crap. Point Guard will be a problem I believe.
Point gaurd will be a problem? Didnt our pg leas the sec in assists and at one time was 2nd in the country? You know how those other ppl were able to get open to score right? Or do you all just judge every player on launching 3s?

Still don't know who is going to shoot beside CJ.
You do know that Reeves made 39% of his 3's last year, 76 in total, 2.3 per game. Oh, you don't.
Since Cal has been at UK, only Murray (3.1), Monk (2.7), and Grady (2.6) have made more.
That is also a higher % of made 3's than any of Grady's 4 years at Davidson, and more made 3's than all but Grady's FR season at Davidson.
I'm not saying Reeves will repeat that, but as the 2nd best option from 3, that ain't bad at all !!!

Point gaurd will be a problem? Didnt our pg leas the sec in assists and at one time was 2nd in the country? You know how those other ppl were able to get open to score right? Or do you all just judge every player on launching 3s?
More meaning injuries and cannot play 40 per... and tbh shooting is questionable at best.

You do know that Reeves made 39% of his 3's last year, 76 in total, 2.3 per game. Oh, you don't.
Since Cal has been at UK, only Murray (3.1), Monk (2.7), and Grady (2.6) have made more.
That is also a higher % of made 3's than any of Grady's 4 years at Davidson, and more made 3's than all but Grady's FR season at Davidson.
I'm not saying Reeves will repeat that, but as the 2nd best option from 3, that ain't bad at all !!!
Reeves is going to help, no doubt, but how his game translates to this level is still a question mark. It’s a big move from the MVC to the SEC.

Also, I wonder how much Cal will use Fredrick and Reeves together? Will they be subbed for each other a lot to keep a shooter on the floor or will they play together to give us multiple shooters? With Wallace and Livingston needing to get their minutes on the wings, I wonder how much floor time they will get together. If Wallace gets 30 minutes a game and Livingston gets at least 20 minutes a game, Fredrick and Reeves are going to see their minutes limited a bit. I just wonder how many minutes will they be out there and how many minutes will they be out there together? I just don’t see how they are going to play much together with the stud Freshmen around demanding minutes.

What is your take on that situation?

You’d think so. But you would have thought the same about Charles Matthews, Johnny Juzang, Bryce Hopkins, etc.. A lot of our “multi year guys” end up being multi year guys … somewhere else.
This is correct. You cannot make players stay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT