ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

He is one I wanted to keep along with Z. Despite our assumptions though, we really don't know if staying was an option. Probably wouldn't be made public to save face for all, but some could have wanted to stay but Pope felt the fit wasn't right. Could be why some hung around so long. Maybe they just wanted to keep playing for Cal regardless.

Fact is we just don't know.

Unlike Big Z I really don’t see how he would have been used much if he’d stayed. So I don’t mind him leaving even though I loved him here (still have my Thiero jersey) and wish him the absolute best personally.

Just like Biz Z, I have no earthly idea why he made the bonehead decision to do Cal to himself again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to each his own.

He's not a Pope kind of player. Pope wants skilled players. Thiero lacks skills like many Calipari players who get by because of their physical abilities.

I wouldn't boo them either. They made the most logical choices for guys who had an opportunity to follow their former coach somewhere else. They changed schools for the coach not because of any ill will towards our program. I can respect that.

I feel like Pope probably wanted a clean slate. Nothing against the kid directly, but I feel he just wanted to start clean. I really liked Thiero and wanted to see what Big Z could do given the chance, but I also understand my theory of Pope and fresh air all around.

Last edited:
Neither did Cal (in my book).
He failed at the end of his tenure.

But he added to our Legacy (2012) and elevated us in ways many despise.
(NBA loaded with UK alumni gives us great PR)
Man Rick got booed at UofL and while yes thats an instate rival, Arky is a basketball rival. Cal will get booed a bit. That wound is still a bit too fresh.

Now had he went to any other job not in conference or that wasn’t the blue blood rivals then I think it would be fine.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Don't care. Hope he loses every game he plays in, and ones he doesn't play in too.

AMF
Nah I won’t pull against the kids. I hope he and Dj and Z have good numbers down there. Just not in Lexington.

I will not pull for Cal right now though. Unless he’s playing EweTee, UofL, Duke/UNC or KU. Then that supersedes the angst a bit.

If Calipari had stayed at UK he would have never tried to bring in Carr. So, I would have been praying for Thiero to return. I still like Thiero’s upside – would have loved for him to stay and pair with Carr at PF - but I certainly wouldn’t take him over Carr and don’t know whether he or Almonor is the better compliment at this point.

With NIL, it's not as simple of an equation with players to correlate satisfaction / love for a program with their retention. It's really not a lot different from a NBA player moving programs anymore. To some degree, it's just business. What makes NIL difficult, rather than an actual contract, is that it's never clear when it's the money or something else.

If it is the money, I don't blame him. Don't hate the player....

I hope we don’t boo either the former players or former coaches and actually we will welcome them with applause .
We should display class in our behavior but that Ben sad I hope Kentucky wins big. Applause’s actuality work better psychologically than boos, it’s better to disarm someone than give them ammunition to play harder…

In the interview, Thiero said it came down to knowing what it was like to play for Cal vs going to play in an unknown environment for another coach.

I’m still a little surprised that he thought Cal was the best option, it sounded like he was really wrestling with his options.
He can sob all he wants (and I liked him!), but the reality is that he came to play for Cal thinking it would get him to the NBA, and he's not about to admit he was wrong.

I hope we don’t boo either the former players or former coaches and actually we will welcome them with applause .
We should display class in our behavior but that Ben sad I hope Kentucky wins big. Applause’s actuality work better psychologically than boos, it’s better to disarm someone than give them ammunition to play harder…
No. They came here with a foot out the door, and were determined to put the other one out the door, too. Once you leave, you're competition.

Really hope we don’t boo these guys when they come back for the game. Idc if we boo Cal, but these kids didn’t do anything wrong.
I always loved Adou Thiero. He was a guy who always gave max effort. You never had to wonder if you were getting his best. I would never boo him. And, despite the fact that I was sure it was time for Calipari to leave, I don't hate the man and never will. I supported him until I couldn't support him any longer. Even he would admit, his results those last several years, especially in the post-season, was simply unacceptable. I won't be at Rupp for that Arkansas game, but I wouldn't be booing Cal or any of our former players. I wish them well until they play UK and unless they're competing with UK for titles or seeding or anything else. Otherwise, God speed. Now, if Cal comes out that night and acts like a jerk, I would definitely boo him, but I don't think he will. Whether he likes it or not, his legacy is mostly at UK. He spent his best years- his prime years- at Kentucky and he would be foolish to turn on UK or BBN. I hope he doesn't and I don't believe he will. I do think he became bitter toward BBN the last couple years at UK. Truth be told, he never should have taken that lifetime contract. It never should have been offered. He should have left in 2019, like he originally said he should. "It's a 10-year job," as he said. I didn't like it when he said it, but I can see it now.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I agree with this but our fanbase is untamable. It'll be like a Roman coliseum giving a thumbs up or down. It could go either direction.

The most swaggy thing UK fans could do is give a standing O to former players and coaches before the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT