ADVERTISEMENT

The Z situation sitting makes no sense

He’s a euro that wants to hang out around the 3pt line. He’s not a true center and he’s too slow to play defense against anyone. He can stroke from 3 and the free throw line, hopefully he hangs around for next season to develop some defense and other offensive moves.

That's because who did Cal sub Z for? Ugo! Z is not a center, hello!!!!!!
Z is absolutely not a 5 I agree. But he just isn't quick enough to guard a 4 or 5.
He nor Bradshaw are going to play much at all going forward. If Mitchell gets back. We will see Thiero, Ugo and Mitchell getting all the 4 and 5 spot minutes.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
The kid legitimately sucks. There is more to basketball than hitting an open set shot. This board had the same obsession with Kyle Wiltjer. Where is he playing right now?

Well you have the Shargari, Obrzut, and Carter comparisons, and now you bring in Wiltjer. Never mind that the original 3 only had one season together, where they were all behind Randolph Morris, even two of them were behind Morris his freshman year.

Stat-wise, Onyenso has half the minutes of Obrzut, but double the blocks and same amount of boards. Bradshaw has double the averages of Alleyne and is actually playing as a freshman. Ivisic has nearly the same points as Carter in 1/3 of the minutes and half the rebounds, again as a freshman also.

Then the Wiltjer comment. The guy was an integral part of our championship team and went on to become an All-American, averaging 20 PPG and shooting 43% on 3s. That's a pretty awesome bar, but you think it's a bad thing? Wiltjer is actually the perfect comp for Ivisic. I truly hope he stays and plays next year. He'd be the perfect compliment to the young Quaintance/Cyril.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I think the intensity and physicality of the SEC has overwhelmed Z. He looks frozen and timid. . Plays too upright.
He looks like he’s stuck in 2nd gear. That comes with a lack of confidence and being unsure. Z has talent just not mature enough yet. Likes sitting with the walkons more rather than banging with the opponents bigs.
Do think he could be good but I’m willing to give him time. Seems like a great young man. The light will go off at some point
All the posters wanting him to play more aren't knowledgeable about the game of basketball. They are stuck remembering his first game were he was on fire. Yes he can shoot when he is open, that's obvious. What he can't do is handle being pressured with the ball, stay in front of his man, move laterally to guard in man to man defense, he is simply a liability currently.

Getting burned and giving up easy point on defense doesn't show up in the stat line. I love Big Z as much as anyone, but missing the first half of the season has him too far behind to help the team currently. Its like people forget he missed half the season, that's a ton of end game experience he needed to become acclimated to the college game.

Funny thing is Z is fine not playing, he love Kentucky, he loves Cal and he loves his teammates. There is no animosity and this team gets along better than any team has in the past decade. Big Z isn't mad or upset over playing time, only posters on a message board are.

Last edited:
Z is absolutely not a 5 I agree. But he just isn't quick enough to guard a 4 or 5.
He nor Bradshaw are going to play much at all going forward. If Mitchell gets back. We will see Thiero, Ugo and Mitchell getting all the 4 and 5 spot minutes.

I think he would be fine as your 5 if you have a big body 4/5 like Quaintance and Cyril with him next year. They could be interchangeable. This years group isn't a good fit for him. Bradshaw Mitchell and Ivisic kind of play the same. Onyenso isn't fast enough to be on the court with Ivisic as well and Edwards/Theiro can't provide the inside presence.

lol. Kid gets beat off the dribble by a center and you think he be able to defend a forward.
Z has no business out on the perimeter on the defensive side of the ball. Clearly cal has not expressed this to him. Also doesn’t need to be out front on offense running handoffs. Properly coached Z would be a tremendous asset to this team in at least a 10-15 minute per game roll but cal does not know how to coach properly so Z looks as clueless on the court as he does. I do give cal credit for pulling Bradshaw rather quickly last night as well realizing he would do nothing to better our chances.

I think he would be fine as your 5 if you have a big body 4/5 like Quaintance and Cyril with him next year. They could be interchangeable. This years group isn't a good fit for him. Bradshaw Mitchell and Ivisic kind of play the same. Onyenso isn't fast enough to be on the court with Ivisic as well and Edwards/Theiro can't provide the inside presence.
I can't commit on those 2 players. I don't follow recruiting. They may be really good next year or be just like Bradshaw a typical Freshmen. I'll wait till they actually play a few games in college before committing on either.

Z has no business out on the perimeter on the defensive side of the ball.
Aub’s big men combined for nine 3 pointers against SC. Yes! I guarantee you our game plan was to not give Broome open 3s.

Properly coached Z would be a tremendous asset to this team in at least a 10-15 minute per game roll but cal does not know how to coach properly so Z looks as clueless on the court as he does.

Z looks great if he doesn’t have pressure in his face. Tape is now out and teams aren’t going to sit back and let him pass or shoot with little pressure.

I understand being frustrated with Cal, but if you think Z’s issues are related to coaching instead of Z’s inefficiencies then we’re watching two different games. Teams are going to blitz Z on both ends to turn him over and to drive by him.

Now, every team doesn’t have the personnel to attack Z. He’ll still be a valuable piece off the bench in some future game, but it will only be based on other team’s personnel.

This topic should be pinned. I hate he sits. Its not right.

Also in regards to Bradshaw: he is a shooter. Not a physical post. He has to play the four imo and be allowed to shoot and show he can.

Kind of silly to give the ball to a 7' 2" guy on an island at the top of the key, with Auburn's ball pressure and expect him to handle it like a guard. Spot up 3's are fine, but don't expect him, Ugo, or Bradshaw to be able to excel in that situation.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I’m past it .. we won’t know what he can do , cal won’t give him a legit chance . Still hope we win games and go far , but he misused this guy

Reactions: JRCAT14
Post like yours piss me off. I have actually coached the game asshole and played my whole life so I am extremely knowledgeable about the game. Z is extremely raw and talented and adjusting to the American college basketball style of play. Taking the above into account Z is also not a good fit for Cal’s style of play and how cal wants to utilize him. Z will never be the best version of himself playing under cal period as cal does not know how to use a big with his skill set.
How many 7 foot European stretch 4s did you coach?

Aub’s big men combined for nine 3 pointers against SC. Yes! I guarantee you our game plan was to not give Broome open 3s.

Z looks great if he doesn’t have pressure in his face. Tape is now out and teams aren’t going to sit back and let him pass or shoot with little pressure.

I understand being frustrated with Cal, but if you think Z’s issues are related to coaching instead of Z’s inefficiencies then we’re watching two different games. Teams are going to blitz Z on both ends to turn him over and to drive by him.

Now, every team doesn’t have the personnel to attack Z. He’ll still be a valuable piece off the bench in some future game, but it will only be based on other team’s personnel.
Z picked him up 35 feet from the basket on an inbounds. He ain’t letting it fly from 35 feet. Z is the perfect pick and pop big and don’t think I have seen cal run that a single time with Z in the game. As a coach you have to know your players strengths and weaknesses and when inserted play to those. Cal doesn’t, just throws in game, watches player fail miserably and removes. See I can’t play him.

Z has played organized basketball for quite some time. He likely has grown up playing and certainly was on a team where life is basketball. There is no doubt he is skilled. But, from the videos I saw prior to his coming to Kentucky, he was not in a center position. I believe he is not a fit for Cal's system unless Cal is willing to have him play other than low post. It truly is a shame that he is not being utilized. His impact against Georgia was game changing.
He's a lost ball in high weeds defensively, his O is amazing, UK can score they can't defend. Hosting will come and he will be amazing

Reactions: bballcat4
I think the intensity and physicality of the SEC has overwhelmed Z. He looks frozen and timid. . Plays too upright.
He looks like he’s stuck in 2nd gear. That comes with a lack of confidence and being unsure. Z has talent just not mature enough yet. Likes sitting with the walkons more rather than banging with the opponents bigs.
Do think he could be good but I’m willing to give him time. Seems like a great young man. The light will go off at some point
That goes away with "meaningful " minutes. Look at Thiero & Ugo. He has as much upside as both.

How many 7 foot European stretch 4s did you coach?
what the **** does this have to do with anything? 1 less than cal. I wouldn’t go get a kid if I had no clue how to use him or try and force him to be something he’s not.

That goes away with "meaningful " minutes. Look at Thiero & Ugo. He has as much upside as both.
I agree. However these games really matter. Do you want him in training mode vs Auburn on the road? He was shaky to say the least last night. Couldn’t play him and really hurt us vs the Zags.

Z would probably flourish on a team that was filled with experienced players where they could cover his mistakes early on

I think its really difficult for Z to come into a game at this point in the year where anyone can beat us , has zero leash and he's struggling to keep up defending against a faster 4.

He would kill with a team playing zone defense

The problem isn’t Z. It’s the roster. As constructed they just can’t afford to play another small forward, as talented as he is. You play he and Mitchell at the 4 and 5 for example and the cats wouldn’t be able to stop anyone in the paint.

I agree. However these games really matter. Do you want him in training mode vs Auburn on the road? He was shaky to say the least last night. Couldn’t play him and really hurt us vs the Zags.
How did Z hurt us against the zags when he didn’t even play in the 2nd half. You remember the 2nd half don’t you, the one that Bradshaw and Ugo both gave up easy baskets at the rim like 10 out of 13 possessions?

I’m past it .. we won’t know what he can do , cal won’t give him a legit chance . Still hope we win games and go far , but he misused this guy
Other than the first game he looks slow on D, confused on O and looks like a 2 to 5 minute a game max guy right now.

Reactions: Emarc
Z picked him up 35 feet from the basket on an inbounds. He ain’t letting it fly from 35 feet.
Agree with you that he was out of position on that play. He got benched quickly, so I’m guessing that was on Z. (I misunderstood your statement and thought you were implying Z shouldn’t guard anyone on the perimeter.)

Like you, I believe Z will develop into a heck of a player. However, like many big men, this development (physical and skills) will require time. (Nick Richards is prime example of a former UK big that is MUCH better today.)

UK, nor Cal, has the luxury to let Z play through many mistakes. Ugo has a stronger base and doesn’t get pushed around in the paint while offering exceptional rim protection, so he’ll get majority of mins moving forward. As stated in other posts, I still think they’ll be some match ups in the near future where Z shines. But, he’ll struggle against physical and skillful bigs.

Z has played organized basketball for quite some time. He likely has grown up playing and certainly was on a team where life is basketball. There is no doubt he is skilled. But, from the videos I saw prior to his coming to Kentucky, he was not in a center position. I believe he is not a fit for Cal's system unless Cal is willing to have him play other than low post. It truly is a shame that he is not being utilized. His impact against Georgia was game changing.
We're to the "he needs more time" ....I was wondering who it was going to be for. Considering scoring isn't our problem..AT ALL, nor is hitting 3's, and rebounding is...who you want him over? Ugo? Nope. Thiero? Nope. Mitchell when he's back. Nope.

Well he didn't look real great in the 35 seconds he was allowed to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT