ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell and Z

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I like Mitchell. He’s a good passer, shares the ball, shoots decent from 3, has some nice post moves. But his defense is not good, and his rebounding is also below average for his size/position.

So don’t take this the wrong way. But I hope he is out tonight vs Vandy. Why? Because it almost forces Cal’s hand to either give Z a real chance (or not). If Trey is out and Z doesn’t play or barely plays, then he has no chance the rest of the year. But hopefully out of necessity Z plays 15+ min tonight showing (Cal) his value to the team. Maybe his defense is inconsistent now, but it’s not like we have more than 1-2 giving good defense. At least with him there is more of a chance for improvement.
Also it’s Vandy. If there is a game to give a player a rest this is it.

I like Mitchell. He’s a good passer, shares the ball, shoots decent from 3, has some nice post moves. But his defense is not good, and his rebounding is also below average for his size/position.

So don’t take this the wrong way. But I hope he is out tonight vs Vandy. Why? Because it almost forces Cal’s hand to either give Z a real chance (or not). If Trey is out and Z doesn’t play or barely plays, then he has no chance the rest of the year. But hopefully out of necessity Z plays 15+ min tonight showing (Cal) his value to the team. Maybe his defense is inconsistent now, but it’s not like we have more than 1-2 giving good defense. At least with him there is more of a chance for improvement.

When this board went all gaga over Z because of his impressive performance in his first game, I expressed my doubts. Since then, in the limited time I've seen Z on the court, he hasn't shown much. He seems to be just standing there.

What I want to see is Z come in and be aggressive even if it is for 1 or 2 minutes. I sincerely want to see him play so well that Cal has no excuse to hold him back.

I don't know. Maybe he hasn't been given a chance? Many of the same posters trashing Cal for not playing Z were trashing Cal for not playing Allen. Cal was right about Allen. I think Cal was wrong about Hopkins and a few others. I hope he and I are both wrong about Z. That would be some good crow to eat.

When this board went all gaga over Z because of his impressive performance in his first game, I expressed my doubts. Since then, in the limited time I've seen Z on the court, he hasn't shown much. He seems to be just standing there.

What I want to see is Z come in and be aggressive even if it is for 1 or 2 minutes. I sincerely want to see him play so well that Cal has no excuse to hold him back.

I don't know. Maybe he hasn't been given a chance? Many of the same posters trashing Cal for not playing Z were trashing Cal for not playing Allen. Cal was right about Allen. I think Cal was wrong about Hopkins and a few others. I hope he and I are both wrong about Z. That would be some good crow to eat.
Some of the tentativeness I think is related to the differences of overseas vs college ball and he’s still trying to figure it out. The hanging on the rim and the early entry into the lane on free throws are examples. No way anyone could watch him play and not be in awe of his abilities. His best play of the night against GA was the spin move missed dunk. That was elite level move and would have brought Rupp down had he finished that off. Sadly I don’t think cal wants him upstaging Bradshaw but it’s clear he is already better than him yet playing behind him.

He just stood there because that's what Cal TOLD him to do. Z wasn't SUPPOSED to shoot threes. In doing so, he went against Cal's instructions in the huddle that you can see ON THE VIDEO. He embarrassed Cal, so Cal is punishing him.

Imagine if Cal did two things: 1) committed to playing Z for 15 minutes in a game 2) Let him roam the court including outside the three point line. You'd see Z displaying what he can do and helping us win.

No way Cal does that.

I doubt he sees the floor in any meaningful way today.

He just stood there because that's what Cal TOLD him to do. Z wasn't SUPPOSED to shoot threes. In doing so, he went against Cal's instructions in the huddle that you can see ON THE VIDEO. He embarrassed Cal, so Cal is punishing him.

Imagine if Cal did two things: 1) committed to playing Z for 15 minutes in a game 2) Let him roam the court including outside the three point line. You'd see Z displaying what he can do and helping us win.

No way Cal does that.

We say we are the most knowledgeable fan base, and then I keep reading these Z reports from fans saying he's been underwhelming, when it's literally been in 1 or 2 minute increments. Nobody is gonna play good under those circumstances.

No way Cal does that.

I am starting to agree with you more and more all the time. Bradshaw will play major minutes tonight and still look like CRAP .

Cal delights in telling the fans to eat shit in passive-aggressive, not-so-subtle ways. He honestly revels in that more than he does in winning.

Z is a freak. Anyone comparing this to the Dante Allen situation… I just shake my head at your ignorance. After the UGA game you had national analysts - including former NBA players - talking about how dangerous UK was now BECAUSE OF Z and his unique skillset at his size. But Cal wants him parked in the paint. Cal is a freaking tool.

The next time Cal's hand is forced will be the first time.

Reactions: sefleming
We say we are the most knowledgeable fan base, and then I keep reading these Z reports from fans saying he's been underwhelming, when it's literally been in 1 or 2 minute increments. Nobody is gonna play good under those circumstances.

Playing the other side, a lot of posters said that about Allen too. I agree that Z is VERY talented and I would like to see him in a game for a longer period of time. Unfortunately, he didn't get to play when we were playing cupcakes to get experience and show us what he is capable of doing. Hopefully, he gets a chance tonight!

Reactions: Mike-D
Cal delights in telling the fans to eat shit in passive-aggressive, not-so-subtle ways. He honestly revels in that more than he does in winning.

Z is a freak. Anyone comparing this to the Dante Allen situation… I just shake my head at your ignorance. After the UGA game you had national analysts - including former NBA players - talking about how dangerous UK was now BECAUSE OF Z and his unique skillset at his size. But Cal wants him parked in the paint. Cal is a freaking tool.

LOL Go back and read the posts about how Allen was the greatest shooter in the world, etc. I do think Z will be a great one. He has far more skills than Allen has but the comparison is still valid. UK fans get carried away with a single game and then a year later have selective amnesia.

LOL Go back and read the posts about how Allen was the greatest shooter in the world, etc. I do think Z will be a great one. He has far more skills than Allen has but the comparison is still valid. UK fans get carried away with a single game and then a year later have selective amnesia.

I’m not talking about UK fans. I’m talking about national analysts who not only cover college basketball, but played the game at the highest levels. You didn’t hear these people talking about Dante Allen. You DID hear them talking about Z. Glowingly. Said he elevates UK to a title favorite. But nope, Cal gonna Cal, and act like it’s just the “bennies” saying that.

At the end of the day none of us (or maybe at least the vast vast majority) aren't at practice to see these guys there. If Z truly was as good as he showed against Georgia he'd be the best player in the country. Just playing percentages I highly doubt that's true. It was probably a perfect storm of adrenaline, opportunity, and a hyped up crowd that had been waiting all year to see him that drove that performance.

He probably deserves more time, especially with the injuries we've had lately. But the people acting like Cal is sitting the best player on the team are kidding themselves.

This would be the type of game to try out a few players and different things and we should still be able to get the win.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Very odd and weird take. Almost sounds like a scenario that Cal would make up and advocate.

At the end of the day none of us (or maybe at least the vast vast majority) aren't at practice to see these guys there. If Z truly was as good as he showed against Georgia he'd be the best player in the country. Just playing percentages I highly doubt that's true. It was probably a perfect storm of adrenaline, opportunity, and a hyped up crowd that had been waiting all year to see him that drove that performance.

He probably deserves more time, especially with the injuries we've had lately. But the people acting like Cal is sitting the best player on the team are kidding themselves.
Shaedon Sharpe says hello!!!!

The second part of the scenario that has to happen for Z to get clock is for Bradshaw to get into early foul trouble. He'll eat every extra minute available, foul situation allowing.

The comparisons with the situations of Donte Allen and Big Z at UK is they were both not playing behind 5-STARS who were NOT performing and Cal was TOO stubborn to give them a shot!!!!

If you get a person (5-STAR/ Coach) who gets too comfortably/ lazy/ spoiled in their position, knowing there is no competition or expectation for them to change or improve their performances become STALE!!!

I am starting to agree with you more and more all the time. Bradshaw will play major minutes tonight and still look like CRAP .
And he'll still be doing that goofy smile as he high-five's everyone on his way to the bench, and as he sits there cheering on the rest of the team for its goofiness. He's not really invested in his stay here. Surely SOMEONE told him over the summer that he needed to put on weight for the game?

I tried to be more measured in my takes about him when people after the Georgia game were making claims that he was so advanced that the college game was trivially easy for him, but even I’ve been confused by Cal basically deciding not to play Z at all. Even if all he’s really good at right now is knocking down an open jumper or two per game, that’s more than Bradshaw is giving us on a lot of nights right now. The reluctance to try anything different even when the current plan isn’t working is a big part of the frustration that’s building up with Cal.

I’m not talking about UK fans. I’m talking about national analysts who not only cover college basketball, but played the game at the highest levels. You didn’t hear these people talking about Dante Allen. You DID hear them talking about Z. Glowingly. Said he elevates UK to a title favorite. But nope, Cal gonna Cal, and act like it’s just the “bennies” saying that.
Too be perfectly honest, it was hard not to be excited about Z after that first game. The media loved it. But, I also heard some reserved comments about it only being one game. Anyone who has watched bball has seen a player play like MJ in one game and play like Danny VeVito the rest of the seaon. Allen had a game like MJ when he was here but never did it again. Brooks had one of those against Kansas. I recall James Blackmon having a game like that. Brandon Boston had some pretty good games but was completely inconsistent.

The point is that Z can't be judged by one game other than to see potential. Of course, Z can't be judged either by some of those short stints in the game. As I said earlier, I hope he gets some PT against a team like Vandy. I really want to see him play more and play well.

Both will be in the NBA, don’t be dumb.
She was being humorous but the truth is somewhere between her post and yours. Both will have to improve dramatically to ever make an NBA roster. It's not out of the question but both are far from locks. In how likely they are to play in the NBA, on our roster I'd only rank Hart and Edwards behind those two. I can't see Ugo ever having the mobility to guard an NBA stretch big man. Bradshaw has a better chance but he will have to have a very good work ethic because he will have to get a lot better in EVERY facet of the game.

Wrong way? What could possibly be wrong with hoping someone (else) is injured?

Now, don't take it the wrong way, but I hope everyone I disagree with catch embarrassing diseases.

Now, don't take it the wrong way, but I hope people who play music I don't like get stung by wasps.

(and so on)

Cal will not play Z, for some reason Z has become his D. Willis on this team. Plus the fans want him to play.

Too be perfectly honest, it was hard not to be excited about Z after that first game. The media loved it. But, I also heard some reserved comments about it only being one game. Anyone who has watched bball has seen a player play like MJ in one game and play like Danny VeVito the rest of the seaon. Allen had a game like MJ when he was here but never did it again. Brooks had one of those against Kansas. I recall James Blackmon having a game like that. Brandon Boston had some pretty good games but was completely inconsistent.

The point is that Z can't be judged by one game other than to see potential. Of course, Z can't be judged either by some of those short stints in the game. As I said earlier, I hope he gets some PT against a team like Vandy. I really want to see him play more and play well.
JFC will you give it a rest. We get it, you're one of the Calbois, and as such you need to try and diminish Z in order to prop up Calipari's fading reputation. But Z is a real player, a real talent, and he clearly embarrassed Cal at the UGA game, and he is being punished. This is Hopkins 2.0 and everybody but you Calbois knows it. For you to compare him to Dontaie Allen is an absolute and utter JOKE. As are you.

Reactions: Wonky
JFC will you give it a rest. We get it, you're one of the Calbois, and as such you need to try and diminish Z in order to prop up Calipari's fading reputation. But Z is a real player, a real talent, and he clearly embarrassed Cal at the UGA game, and he is being punished. This is Hopkins 2.0 and everybody but you Calbois knows it. For you to compare him to Dontaie Allen is an absolute and utter JOKE. As are you.

LOL You can't give a logical intelligent reply to anything. Stick around little girl, I can learn ya some things!

No way Cal does that.

So you think Cal told him to go out there and just stand there? lol.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
So you think Cal told him to go out there and just stand there? lol.
I see you haven't kept up with the rest of the class. Go back and watch the UK video covering Z's debut. See where Cal tells him to go in the paint. Maybe then you can understand what's going on. But I have no hope that your room temp IQ can comprehend it.

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP and cal=8
If Mitchell is out I'd bet they've worked on some ways to get Z some touches tonight. This would be the perfect time to do so. I could see Big Z having a big game Saturday against the Zags.

I see you haven't kept up with the rest of the class. Go back and watch the UK video covering Z's debut. See where Cal tells him to go in the paint. Maybe then you can understand what's going on. But I have no hope that your room temp IQ can comprehend it.
If you knew as much as you think you do you'd really be something. Now get your mommy to change your diaper and go back to watching Nickelodeon.

I'm fairly new to the site but a lifelong UK fan. I see a thread that says bump this when Indiana sucks. Can/should we start one that says bump this if you want Cal fired? Maybe it's been done but based on how he is getting worse on everything he does I wonder the response it would get.

Chill duckhead

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT