ADVERTISEMENT

The Z situation sitting makes no sense

He's better on D than Smoochy who plays many more minutes than he does. Smoochy can't even face his opponent. Z scores more, has more rebounds, and gets more steals and blocked shots. 6th grader my ass. Some of you are blatant, despicable haters.
He needs some of that plyometric strength

I think everybody sees it except for you know who and his lackeys...

square-peg-round-hole.jpg
My favorite gif for describing a situation like this.
idiocracy-test.gif

You play Z because the upside is huge, and because at any given moment, the light could come on, and he starts dominating.

If none of our kids had any type of ranking attached to their name before they got to Kentucky, and Cal could only critique or grade them based off what he sees in games and practices, he wouldn't be force feeding us guys like Bradshaw and Edwards.
Obviously Cal is trying to appease Klutch by playing AB over Z because AB is as lost on defense as Z is but brings next to nothing on offense except putbacks. Z is a threat to score from anywhere on the court even though The Godfather is trying to make him into Shaq. Genius level coaching.

If you think the young man is getting a fair shake co side the statement from the staff after his Georgia performance , to paraphrase “ he made some shots but was out of position a lot “ — Z put in the best performance outside of Robs 35 and the coaches review is “ he was out of position a lot “
That fire from the crowd , that ass kicking of Ga , that happiness of the players , we just can’t have that — if it isn’t one of Cals pre selected guys leading the charge .. yeah I do recall D Allen , and I recall Hopkins , , and I recall I Quickley not starting for 1/2 or 2/3 a season , some tall goof playing over Derek Willis , and thinking Lance Ware was a starter .
Cal can play ridiculous, unexplainable lineups , and a few contrarians, or uneducated inexperienced keyboard warriors will rush to his defense .. it’s a big problem - refusing the accept the obvious , that’s led us to this state of mediocrity.

This boards obsession with Z makes no sense. We lost the Gonzaga game because Z played so much in the first half. You all love that assist to Gonzaga for an uncontested dunk? The kid SUCKS. Better off in Europe or a lower level of college.

This Tubby Smith Deja Vu. Arguing over which awful 7 footer should play. Shagari (Bradshaw even runs like him - T Rex hands), Woo - halfway serviceable (oneynso) and Jared Carter - shouldn’t be on the team (Z).

This boards obsession with Z makes no sense. We lost the Gonzaga game because Z played so much in the first half. You all love that assist to Gonzaga for an uncontested dunk? The kid SUCKS. Better off in Europe or a lower level of college.

This Tubby Smith Deja Vu. Arguing over which awful 7 footer should play. Shagari (Bradshaw even runs like him - T Rex hands), Woo - halfway serviceable (oneynso) and Jared Carter - shouldn’t be on the team (Z).
Dumbest post in Rafters history. Autoblocked the troll.

^ slight issue , Z did more in 14 minutes of playing time than your 3 scrubs you mentioned in their careers

Z leads the team in Rebounds per minutes played, by a significant margin. As has been posted on here before
That doesn’t really mean much when has only played what, 50 minutes total? Watch him play in the games and it tells a completely different story than a skewed statistic

Yeah that's true, he also outscores Ugo and Smoochy. And Edwards in per minutes played.
Again, I would encourage you to actually watch him play.

Comparing per minute averages of a guy who has played less than 60 minutes to those who have played a full season isn’t the flex you think it is

Again, I would encourage you to actually watch him play.

Comparing per minute averages of a guy who has played less than 60 minutes to those who have played a full season isn’t the flex you think it is
You're clueless. There's plenty of video circulating on this board showing what he can do. From transition passes to behind the back assists to blocked shots to rebounds/putbacks to 5/7 from three. Your boy Smoochy can't hold a candle.

You're clueless. There's plenty of video circulating on this board showing what he can do. From transition passes to behind the back assists to blocked shots to rebounds/putbacks to 5/7 from three. Your boy Smoochy can't hold a candle.
Yes we have all seen the same 3 or 4 highlight plays. I like Z and recognize he is a good shooter, but that’s not who this team needs him to be. The fact remains he is a massive defensive liability and is a poor rebounder for someone his size. It’s not hard to understand why the other 7’ guys play over him

By the way I don’t know who Smoochy is and it’s pretty weird that you keep calling someone that

Reactions: truckbrandon
Yes we have all seen the same 3 or 4 highlight plays. I like Z and recognize he is a good shooter, but that’s not who this team needs him to be. The fact remains he is a massive defensive liability and is a poor rebounder for someone his size. It’s not hard to understand why the other 7’ guys play over him

By the way I don’t know who Smoochy is and it’s pretty weird that you keep calling someone that
"For someone his size" - LOL you just can't help yourself. He's a better rebounder than Smoochy or Ugo or Edwards and he would be useful on the floor. You just want to prop up your failing god Cal because you can't justify his stupid ass decision to bench the most talented player on our team over 6'6".

"For someone his size" - LOL you just can't help yourself. He's a better rebounder than Smoochy or Ugo or Edwards and he would be useful on the floor. You just want to prop up your failing god Cal because you can't justify his stupid ass decision to bench the most talented player on our team over 6'6".
Dude I don’t even like Cal. I like Kentucky basketball. So when a guy gets repeatedly torched on pick and rolls and gets pushed around in the paint then I can understand why he is the 3rd big man off the bench. Loyalty to a coach has nothing to do with this and it’s weird that that’s where your mind went

He may be more offensively talented, but again that’s not what the team needs from him. And yes, “for his size” - he’s over 7 feet tall!

Also I still don’t know who Smoochy is and it’s getting a little creepy that you’re saying that

Reactions: ukcatz12
Dude I don’t even like Cal. I like Kentucky basketball. So when a guy gets repeatedly torched on pick and rolls and gets pushed around in the paint then I can understand why he is the 3rd big man off the bench. Loyalty to a coach has nothing to do with this and it’s weird that that’s where your mind went

He may be more offensively talented, but again that’s not what the team needs from him. And yes, “for his size” - he’s over 7 feet tall!

Also I still don’t know who Smoochy is and it’s getting a little creepy that you’re saying that
Don't know who Smoochy is? Maybe you should watch the games.

Hahaha. Trying to figure out which troll you are? Spamburger, Z71, Ed323232 or another Tennessee troll.

Comparing Z to any of those stiffs shows bad of a troll you are. I don’t think those 3 combined scored the amount of points Z did in ten minutes in the Georgia game.

If I'm a stretch 4 I'm never playing for Cal, ever! KAT, Skal,Big Z are all suited for playing face up away from the basket and stretching the floor. Yet he tried turning them into Shaq. These guy's never got to showcase their skills to the fullest. Is there anyone I'm missing?
Anthony Davis. Famously Davis asked cal if he could shoot some 3s. His answer was when you hit ten in a row in practice you can shoot one in a game.

I don't think you really believe everything you say you believe. And I'm giving you credit because if you believed it all you'd be an idiot.

The kid legitimately sucks. There is more to basketball than hitting an open set shot. This board had the same obsession with Kyle Wiltjer. Where is he playing right now?

Anthony Davis. Famously Davis asked cal if he could shoot some 3s. His answer was when you hit ten in a row in practice you can shoot one in a game.
If Anthony Davis had been shooting threes there’d be complaining that Cal was trying to prepare him for the NBA instead of focusing on winning at UK.

Reactions: ukcatz12
All I will say is the last 2 or 3 times Zvonimir has come into the game, he's immediately given up a driving layup or dunk. I have no issue with any coach holding players accountable for their defense.
That's because who did Cal sub Z for? Ugo! Z is not a center, hello!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
Z is really weak with the ball. Clearly he has tre potential but he needs more time against top level opponents. Hopefully he can hang around and get that at UK.

I am hoping we can find some NIL cash ala Tshiebwe and can keep Z another year or two.

He's going to get drafted this year though and probably end up making an NBA roster. With the right organization, Z is the type of risk NBA teams will take.

Based on OP’s logic, Why recruit any player you can’t guarantee PT to?

Focusing on this season, he’s a depth piece with big upside, but roster has to be tightened and Onyenso won the competition. That’s all it is

The mistake I think we all made, was thinking that BigZ could miss half the season, as an 18 year old, playing European basketball.. and still come in and be inserted into the lineup, without any issues or hiccups.

Once he missed those first 15 games, that was kind of it for him this year. It was just going to be too much of an uphill climb. Getting acclimated to the game, his teammates, non-fiba rules, etc. It's honestly kind of a miracle he was able to have that 1st game performance.

Hopefully he will come back strong next year. I think having Shep come back will be key to getting others to come back.

I am hoping we can find some NIL cash ala Tshiebwe and can keep Z another year or two.

He's going to get drafted this year though and probably end up making an NBA roster. With the right organization, Z is the type of risk NBA teams will take.

Hard to figure out Zs draft prospects. I think that 1st game he wowed the scouts. But since then, any NBA team had to be thinking he's still a few years out from being able to play in the NBA. He struggled with the game at the college level, where he's taller than everyone.. but in he NBA, every position is 3 inches taller, 30pbs heavier and that much faster. He was able to use his size advantage in that first game but that won't happen in the pros.

If I'm an NBN scout I might take him with my 2nd round pick. But BigZ could be a lottery pick next year if given the playing time and reps. That should be his goal.

I think the intensity and physicality of the SEC has overwhelmed Z. He looks frozen and timid. . Plays too upright.
He looks like he’s stuck in 2nd gear. That comes with a lack of confidence and being unsure. Z has talent just not mature enough yet. Likes sitting with the walkons more rather than banging with the opponents bigs.
Do think he could be good but I’m willing to give him time. Seems like a great young man. The light will go off at some point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT