ADVERTISEMENT

The Wildcat: Dead Gimmick

mbc82584

Junior
Jun 11, 2006
Honestly I loved the formation 3 years ago when it helped us top Spurrier and the cocks. At various times since then it has been Super effective.

Increasingly, however, defenses know how to play against it. It's a guaranteed run, so slam 8/9 in the box and dare a non-QB to throw.

This year, without the luxury of a stable of killer RBs to rotate in fresh, and with an OL that is not up to par from recent seasons, it is basically a guaranteed fail.

Especially in early/mid game situations where we are obviously not trying to burn clock.

If the staff sticks with the "we are. It throwing this down" formation, this season is going nowhere.

One last note--what does it do to our QB mentally (Johnson or otherwise) when we say "we only trust you on 3rd and long"? QBs take time to get in a rhythm. When you are constantly taking them out of center so we can run a 1yd Slam play, they aren't even getting the chance to throw short routes and get their mojo working.

Based on his vision/athleticism, I honestly hope to see them focus the Wildcat with Lynn Bowden.

I know he hasn't played a down yet, but his vision (albeit in high school) was incredible, and he is at least a threat to throw.

Reactions: wildcatglenn
It's like we substitute any symblance of a legit offensive game plan with gimmick plays that have no continuity or crestivity... Our defense bailed us out big time today! Won't happen against sec teams! We ain't Alabama... We are not good enough to line it up and tell them to stop us!

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Run wildcat on 3/4th a less than 2 yards or goaline situations that are within 5 yard line. Otherwise, i agree that we take our offense out of rhythm by opening drives with it on our side of field and we just end up at 2nd and 8, etc...

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
We absolutely must put the sweep option back in and USE it.

The wildcat only works because its a numbers game. A ball carrier taking the snap means we have an extra blocker at the point of attack.

No threat of throwing or misdirection means that advantage is negated by defenders just crash in and disrupt running lanes and overwhelm blockers.

Thats why that jet action is so important.

Honestly I loved the formation 3 years ago when it helped us top Spurrier and the cocks. At various times since then it has been Super effective.

Increasingly, however, defenses know how to play against it. It's a guaranteed run, so slam 8/9 in the box and dare a non-QB to throw.

This year, without the luxury of a stable of killer RBs to rotate in fresh, and with an OL that is not up to par from recent seasons, it is basically a guaranteed fail.

Especially in early/mid game situations where we are obviously not trying to burn clock.

If the staff sticks with the "we are. It throwing this down" formation, this season is going nowhere.

One last note--what does it do to our QB mentally (Johnson or otherwise) when we say "we only trust you on 3rd and long"? QBs take time to get in a rhythm. When you are constantly taking them out of center so we can run a 1yd Slam play, they aren't even getting the chance to throw short routes and get their mojo working.
When teams were preparing last year to face Boom Williams in a spread offense, the wildcat was an effective change of pace. Now Boom is gone, and our opponents have a year of film to watch on Eddie Gran's offense at Kentucky. When it's a defensive focus, the wildcat isn't that difficult to prepare for. As a defensive coordinator, you load the box and prepare for the runner to cut back. I and others have been trying to say here for 2 months that Gran must open up his offense and put an effective passing attack out there. Yesterday proved that is true, but it won't happen until Coach Schlarman fixes our offensive line.

USM had a ton of time to prepare for our offense, and just like Ga Tech in the Gator Bowl, they throttled the Wildcat and our passing game could not (or possibly would not, because of coach Gran's decisions) make the defense honest. I like going with a QB, instead of King, who by the way, is a decent little KR, but is way undersized to play RB in the SEC. Never seen the kid do a thing when it matters, and he is in his third year.

USM had a ton of time to prepare for our offense, and just like Ga Tech in the Gator Bowl, they throttled the Wildcat and our passing game could not (or possibly would not, because of coach Gran's decisions) make the defense honest. I like going with a QB, instead of King, who by the way, is a decent little KR, but is way undersized to play RB in the SEC. Never seen the kid do a thing when it matters, and he is in his third year.

They obviously have more confidence in him than I do. I still can't believe we didn't take a 2nd RB in the last class, especially with Koback coming back from injury. We will be in deep do-do if Snell goes down.

Based on his vision/athleticism, I honestly hope to see them focus the Wildcat with Lynn Bowden.

I know he hasn't played a down yet, but his vision (albeit in high school) was incredible, and he is at least a threat to throw.
Have you seen Bowden play football?

King is doing his job while a redshirt freshman and a true freshman learn. By the end of September, I expect Bryant Koback to be our #2 running back. Koback's speed/power combination is exactly what we need for a more versatile offense. But 1st task must be to fix our offensive line.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
There's nothing wrong with the wildcat. The issue with it is that its a change up pitch. If you baseball any then you know the secret to being a good change up pitcher is that you have know it isn't your fastball. Gran yesterday believed the wildcat was our fastball.

If I was going to guess the over use of the Wildcat is a Stoops idea more than Gran. Stoops is always talking about keeping the defense off the field and it's a safe low risk scheme that he hopes can do just that. Unless we play a superior talented team, then my guess is that we will see it a lot more.

Have you seen Bowden play football?

No, which is why I qualified it by saying "albeit in high school". My point was that I think he is probably more a threat to throw than Benny, which should soften the box a little.

Honestly, I would prefer a little more zone read option b/c that keeps the defense on it's heels a little more than the Wildcat.

Reactions: brianpoe
If I was going to guess the over use of the Wildcat is a Stoops idea more than Gran. Stoops is always talking about keeping the defense off the field and it's a safe low risk scheme that he hopes can do just that. Unless we play a superior talented team, then my guess is that we will see it a lot more.
Why guess about this? You don't know.

No, which is why I qualified it by saying "albeit in high school". My point was that I think he is probably more a threat to throw than Benny, which should soften the box a little.

Honestly, I would prefer a little more zone read option b/c that keeps the defense on it's heels a little more than the Wildcat.
It doesn't matter whether Bowden is more of a threat to throw than Benny. The wildcat is a running set. In a running set, I'll take the 220 pound guy with the thick legs who ran for over 1,000 yards against an SEC schedule last year. If Gran plans to throw the football, that should be done by our quarterback in our spread offense.

It is my least favorite offensive play in football. I would rather watch Tim Coach run the option than to line up knowing exactly what is happening. Now if we could recruit the gifted athlete with power and speed it may be a little easier to accept. But not with Benny running it.

The wildcat in eras past was designed to take risks and mix things up, but as a poster above stated it seems CMS is using it to play safe.

I mean it's almost silly. Our QB is more in the mold of a "wildcat" with the ability to make some plays in a non conventional way. Yet we use a non conventional package/offense to run what is basically a traditional ground game via direct snap to the rb.

The only way the wildcat is going to be effective going forward is if they utilize the QB run/pass option more.

We have maybe one of the best TEs in the SEC, we should be exploiting that with some waggles, boots, and wheel routes out of the wildcat.

Reactions: FusterCluck
It doesn't matter whether Bowden is more of a threat to throw than Benny. The wildcat is a running set. In a running set, I'll take the 220 pound guy with the thick legs who ran for over 1,000 yards against an SEC schedule last year. If Gran plans to throw the football, that should be done by our quarterback in our spread offense.
Why? You don't have to throw it every time out of the wildcat. If you show that wrinkle a couple times then you have the defense guessing. That's the whole idea behind it, give the defense something else to think about.

UKSanders, It really doesn't matter how good a players vision is, if you stack the box with 8 or 9 players, there's not going to be much of a hole to run through. When you continue to run the Wildcat between the tackles, without anything else, your doomed to failure.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Stats back it up. Gran and Dawson both ran 80+ plays before coming to UK and that dropped below 70 at UK. A win is a win, but the offense needs to get more creative to improve on last year.
How many did the opponents run at the previous places? Can't run plays if opponents have the ball.

Why? You don't have to throw it every time out of the wildcat. If you show that wrinkle a couple times then you have the defense guessing. That's the whole idea behind it, give the defense something else to think about.
Our opponents have a year worth of film to study. Georgia Tech and Southern Miss were ready for the wildcat. I want to see less wildcat, not more. The wildcat should be used more judiciously, maybe 3-4 snaps a game in short yardage situations. When we throw the football, our best quarterback should do it out of our spread offense. I do not understand why some fans want our offense to be more gimmicky. Our key to improvement is to become a much more fundamentally sound football team, not a gimmick team.

Stats back it up. Gran and Dawson both ran 80+ plays before coming to UK and that dropped below 70 at UK. A win is a win, but the offense needs to get more creative to improve on last year.
I understand why you think 1 stat backs up what you believe. But I don't agree. Yesterday showed our offense needs to be more fundamentally sound. That comes before creative.

I understand why you think 1 stat backs up what you believe. But I don't agree. Yesterday showed our offense needs to be more fundamentally sound. That comes before creative.

We got the win and I'm happy. Just never seen a team run so many plays out of a Wildcat set with it showing no promise of working. Was an extremely boring game to watch but I will take 1-0.

Our opponents have a year worth of film to study. Georgia Tech and Southern Miss were ready for the wildcat. I want to see less wildcat, not more. The wildcat should be used more judiciously, maybe 3-4 snaps a game in short yardage situations. When we throw the football, our best quarterback should do it out of our spread offense. I do not understand why some fans want our offense to be more gimmicky. Our key to improvement is to become a much more fundamentally sound football team, not a gimmick team.
I think the wildcat was over used yesterday and at times last year as well. What I'm saying is when it is used, we should change up what we run out of it. I'm not advocating for them to turn Snell in to Farve, just stating I think it could be more of a weapon if the defense doesn't know what we're doing before the ball is snapped.

I think the wildcat was over used yesterday and at times last year as well. What I'm saying is when it is used, we should change up what we run out of it. I'm not advocating for them to turn Snell in to Farve, just stating I think it could be more of a weapon if the defense doesn't know what we're doing before the ball is snapped.

The motion jet sweep or threat of it would help a bit. But the oline cannot be blown up like it was yesterday regardless.

I agree... There were multiple times that Snell and King were running into a line that USM has crashed down on. It appeared to me that USM's defensive philosophy while we were in wildcat was to clutter up the line. Have everyone crash down on the line. The Oline never was able to open any lanes.
The motion jet sweep or threat of it would help a bit. But the oline cannot be blown up like it was yesterday regardless.
I agree. If it is going to continue to be a major part of the package they need to add some more wrinkles to it.

Reactions: brianpoe
Yes. We did that often last year & I think it had to help loosen the inside D. Maybe Bowden can run it when he gets off his phone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT