ADVERTISEMENT

Is recruiting picking up?

satcheluk

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2009
This is anecdotal, as I haven't run the numbers, but it feels like I am seeing us get in strong and in fairly early with more blue chippers in the 26 class (25 to a slightly lesser extent) and beyond. I have especially noticed Shorts getting some rather high profile visits and it looks like he and Collins have become a bit of a tag team duo. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, but it seems we are ahead of where we usually are at this point. I don't keep up with it as much as some insiders here, so I'd be curious to hear anyone's thoughts.

Collins is a showing to be a good recruiter
Shorts....he's goign to be better than Woodard was recruiting wise at WR
Boulware has shown to be a solid recruiter thus far IMO.
Wolford is eons better than Yenser at recruiting
Vince will always be a stud recruiter

I'm going to wait on Bush vs. Coen from a recruiting standpoint...but Liam could get QBs that wanted to be groomed for NFL offense...we'll have to see how Bush will attract QBs. But Coen was nearly a zilch outisde of QBs...so maybe Bush will be good....or maybe not.

So all in all, Stoops is assembling a better staff of recruiters as I feel like losing Clink, Sumrall...we fell back a bit. But feels like we are filing those holes better with the new staff.

I haven't followed too closely in the off season. Have we lost any major recruits with the departure of Coen?
We were concerned with the QB phenom from PA, Stone Saunders, but he gave an interview after another 3 Star player at QB committed, saying he looked forward to competing with the new recruit.

Coen is close to Stone and his Dad, but Saunders sounds as solid as a rock.

And we are the closest SEC program (by hours), for family and friends driving from PA.

Sure, maybe half of people love to fly . .
. and half (that I know of) would rather drive a Yugo through the gates of Hell, before boarding an airplane.

I think Marrow has been very good at selling our proximity to Ohio/Michigan/Pa. If I were him, my first question to a recruit from those areas would be whether his grandparents like to fly. Then reminding the recruit Lexington is about 5 hours by car from most of the Midwest.

Last edited:
We were concerned with the QB phenom from PA, Stone Saunders, but he gave an interview after another 3 Star player at QB committed, saying he looked forward to competing with the new recruit.

Coen is close to Stone and his Dad, but Saunders sounds as solid as a rock.

And we are the closest SEC program (by hours), for family and friends driving from PA.

Sure, maybe half of people love to fly . .
. and half (that I know of) would rather drive a Yugo through the gates of Hell, before boarding an airplane.

I think Marrow has been very good at selling our proximity to Ohio/Michigan/Pa. If I were him, my first question to a recruit from those areas would be whether his grandparents like to fly. Then reminding the recruit Lexington is about 5 hours by car from most of the Midwest.
Thank! Saunders was the one I was most worried about, as he seemed to sing Coens praises every chance he got.

Hope he stays solid!

I am seeing us get in strong and in fairly early with more blue chippers in the 26 class (25 to a slightly lesser extent) and beyond.
No insider, here, but the ‘25 Class has 5 solid commitments by March 27. We last eclipsed that rate in 2017, receiving our 6th verbal commitments by March 28.

Typically, we are at about 5 verbal commitments by May 15th.

And it may make no difference in the final numbers, or overall quality, but it more closely resembles how the traditional power houses recruit . . . typically being at or near capacity often months before NSD in December.

2014 was an early year for our recruiting, with most of the class full by kickoff of the regular season. We look headed in that direction, this year.

Collins is a showing to be a good recruiter
Shorts....he's goign to be better than Woodard was recruiting wise at WR
Boulware has shown to be a solid recruiter thus far IMO.
Wolford is eons better than Yenser at recruiting
Vince will always be a stud recruiter

I'm going to wait on Bush vs. Coen from a recruiting standpoint...but Liam could get QBs that wanted to be groomed for NFL offense...we'll have to see how Bush will attract QBs. But Coen was nearly a zilch outisde of QBs...so maybe Bush will be good....or maybe not.

So all in all, Stoops is assembling a better staff of recruiters as I feel like losing Clink, Sumrall...we fell back a bit. But feels like we are filing those holes better with the new staff.
This seems like a fair assessment. I would even suggest that Woodward was probably better than he would have been solo because he often had Coen as a bit of a tag team partner.

Reactions: K_TIME
I haven't followed too closely in the off season. Have we lost any major recruits with the departure of Coen?
No. I think Saunders was the big what if, but he's reaffirmed his commitment and is visiting this week for his first face to face with Hamdan.

Reactions: Lempface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT