ADVERTISEMENT

The Series

Yes I said a good rivalry between uk and IU would help bring in recruits and or keep them in the same way unc and Duke does. I personally think the uk tradition and IU tradition is superior to that of unc and Duke. Yes uk has done more than there fair share of the load for being who uk is, arguably the best program in college bball. IU and uk is bigger nationally than uk and uofl.

Would beating you guys 2 of last 3 be viewed as relevant? Or beating two number one seeds in same year.
Winning two big ten ch in 4 years?

Being that you graduated with a business degree, you should be able to understand value in something, and if you can't or don't want to see the value in a good rivalry between two schools that possess 13 national championships between them and countless all Americans and NBA players. Then yes you are in fact dumb, dumb because you clearly didn't learn anything at The Kelly School of Buisness at Indiana university.
No doubt the rivalry would benefit IU. UK seems to be doing just fine without IU. Your definition of a good rivalry is different than most who follow UK. The hostility at a personal level and attemps to insult and degrade anyone from Kentucky is something we prefer to do without. UK seems to be producing their fair share of AA and NBA players just fine. UK has won 3 NCs since IU so pardon me if I find your arguments purely emotional and lacking.

I am done with this. Good luck with Archie. I think he will actually fix a lot of IUs issues. Next time you come to another's board try not to be so insulting out of the gate.

BTW, I only mentioned my degree as you called me uneducated. Just loved the irony of letting you know I am a Kelly grad.

Reactions: brianpoe
No doubt the rivalry would benefit IU. UK seems to be doing just fine without IU. Your definition of a good rivalry is different than most who follow UK. The hostility at a personal level and attemps to insult and degrade anyone from Kentucky is something we prefer to do without. UK seems to be producing their fair share of AA and NBA players just fine. UK has won 3 NCs since IU so pardon me if I find your arguments purely emotional and lacking.

I am done with this. Good luck with Archie. I think he will actually fix a lot of IUs issues. Next time you come to another's board try not to be so insulting out of the gate.

BTW, I only mentioned my degree as you called me uneducated. Just loved the irony of letting you know I am a Kelly grad.
Reading your own board here, not everything is fine with uk and the recruits. Yes you get top recruits but you also lose some to Duke/unc/Kansas. These other schools have a college atmosphere and that atmosphere can and does encourage players to go to or stay at a program.
In regards to the hostility, I went to a cpl IU vs uk games at the old Louisville stadium and at the rca dome. I can tell you from first hand experience I was and other fans were screamed at with vulgarity and multiple obscene gestures from uk fans. I wasn't there in 2012 and I'm sure for a uk fan that experience sucked.
But I expected those comments from uk fans, especially after beating IU. With all the success uk has enjoyed these last 19 years, you still only have 1 title to show for it. With all these AAs and NBA studs, even a community college grad knows your program should have more! I haven't said anything but respectful comments regarding the uk bball program. But the theory of IU not being a good enough program for uk to play every year is childish and ignorant.
And having a degree doesn't mean one is educated. I know this from reading your post.

Honestly I don't get why some teams have this holier than thou mentality about IU.

Oh we don't need them, we're fine without them. Hell, we're fine if we don't play Carolina or Duke, but it's fun.

I thought that there was some issue with the athletic director. As I understood it, Cal and Crean were somewhat of friends, even though it seemed like Crean kind acted crappy about the neutral site games.

In any event, there may be more hurdles than who the IU coach is, but I'd love to have it back. There are so many cupcake games on the non-conference schedule, I'd love to have the IU rivalry to look forward to every year.
My thoughts exactly, it's just a fun game to watch and be part of either a win, close game or the unfortunate blowout. Either way not once have I ever not wanted to play uk. luke I've said numerous times. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the uk bball program.

Reading your own board here, not everything is fine with uk and the recruits. Yes you get top recruits but you also lose some to Duke/unc/Kansas. These other schools have a college atmosphere and that atmosphere can and does encourage players to go to or stay at a program.
In regards to the hostility, I went to a cpl IU vs uk games at the old Louisville stadium and at the rca dome. I can tell you from first hand experience I was and other fans were screamed at with vulgarity and multiple obscene gestures from uk fans. I wasn't there in 2012 and I'm sure for a uk fan that experience sucked.
But I expected those comments from uk fans, especially after beating IU. With all the success uk has enjoyed these last 19 years, you still only have 1 title to show for it. With all these AAs and NBA studs, even a community college grad knows your program should have more! I haven't said anything but respectful comments regarding the uk bball program. But the theory of IU not being a good enough program for uk to play every year is childish and ignorant.
And having a degree doesn't mean one is educated. I know this from reading your post.

IU needs UK way more than the opposite.

Indiana has good talent, I'd rather not give you the opportunity of an upset that may sway a recruit.

Try winning your state first - currently #3 and then be an annual competitor in your league.

After that, make the tourney and win a couple of games.

It's not UKs job to help you back to prominence.

Your tradition is too old for today's kids, fanbase plays a much smaller role than the old days. Coaches and winning programs are the keys to getting players and success.

I really thought I would miss playing Indiana every year when the series was cancelled. Especially because we've dominated the series in the last 25 years, further confirming our superiority. But after we stopped playing Indiana, I rarely even think about them. I only notice them when they're on ESPN (always seeming to be losing to Wisconsin) and then I just change the channel looking for something interesting. I don't miss them at all and their status as an elite program has long expired. Indiana has been mediocre for so long, there are people in their 30's and 40's who don't even remember them being a perennial power. The whole idea of them being "great again" is completely lost on anybody under the age of 35, because they've never been great in that span.

I have no doubt that Archie Miller will make them better and may have them knocking at the door of greatness again. I just don't care any more.

2017-19=1998.

For an "educated" person, your math skills are lacking. You cherry picked a date and still got your "facts" wrong!

(For the record, UK won the NC in 1998 and 2012. For those of us south of the Ohio River, that is 2 championships in your cherry picked time frame)

2017-19=1998.

For an "educated" person, your math skills are lacking. You cherry picked a date and still got your "facts" wrong!

(For the record, UK won the NC in 1998 and 2012. For those of us south of the Ohio River, that is 2 championships in your cherry picked time frame)[/QUOTE

Everything has been cherry picked against IU in this thread.
One title since 98, with all those NBA and mcdaas? I know your fan base is not happy with the direction of this trend.

I really thought I would miss playing Indiana every year when the series was cancelled. Especially because we've dominated the series in the last 25 years, further confirming our superiority. But after we stopped playing Indiana, I rarely even think about them. I only notice them when they're on ESPN (always seeming to be losing to Wisconsin) and then I just change the channel looking for something interesting. I don't miss them at all and their status as an elite program has long expired. Indiana has been mediocre for so long, there are people in their 30's and 40's who don't even remember them being a perennial power. The whole idea of them being "great again" is completely lost on anybody under the age of 35, because they've never been great in that span.

I have no doubt that Archie Miller will make them better and may have them knocking at the door of greatness again. I just don't care any more.

Did you care in 2016 march madness or was that an expected loss to IU?
Acting like you don't care?!! Lol

How about resume the series when iu figures out there were actual risks to players and fans, learn to take responsibility for it, learn to admit it, and learn how to prevent it.

That was the IU administration, good stuff I know. But I'm referring to you fans, crying about a ref costing you possibly 3 titles?!! Lmao or crying about any of the things I posted earlier. Great program, great school, great coach, great players........and snowflake fans.
I feel embarrassed for your players who I bet would play anybody anytime anywhere and they get supported by a fan base that gets there feelings hurt by words and begs an administration to not play teams that have fans that might say something offensive.
Lol
At least we got to play, go back to the nit and leave the big boy tournament to UK .

Ericrossiu now is not the time to come over here and do this. In a few years when CAM has us back where we belong then you can if you want but now is not the time.
I will say your fan base has embarrassed themselves by how you've treated that ref though. All you're going to do is piss other refs off and make them not want you to win future big games.

Maybe we can meet up every couple years in a SEC v B10 challenge.

I think annual series are a thing of the past. Just from a interest standpoint I'd much rather watch us play other programs.

It's not just an IU thing, but an entertainment and interest level thing as well. Not to mention competition for the squad. Would love to see some new age opponents worked into the rotation to play every 2,3,4 years.

Let's work in programs like Gonzaga, Arizona, Butler, Xavier, Wichita State. Also would love to see some sort of big prime time double header Men's and Women's event like we had with Baylor a couple years back, that was cool.

Maybe we can meet up every couple years in a SEC v B10 challenge.

I think annual series are a thing of the past. Just from a interest standpoint I'd much rather watch us play other programs.

It's not just an IU thing, but an entertainment and interest level thing as well. Not to mention competition for the squad. Would love to see some new age opponents worked into the rotation to play every 2,3,4 years.

Let's work in programs like Gonzaga, Arizona, Butler, Xavier, Wichita State. Also would love to see some sort of big prime time double header Men's and Women's event like we had with Baylor a couple years back, that was cool.
I really don't care if we play every year either. I'm guessing we'll start something with Arizona now on top of everything else. Archie said he would get rid of the cupcakes Crean scheduled in an attempt to hide his coaching flaws. It feels good to be able to criticize crean to other fan bases. He was hard to stand up for.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I will say your fan base has embarrassed themselves by how you've treated that ref though. All you're going to do is piss other refs off and make them not want you to win future big games.
Look you may think you are trying to engage in conversation but your passive aggressive bullshit is tiring. While I won't attempt to justify any individual's behavior but my own, I also won't sit by and read judgmental crap from an IU fan on a UK board and look the other way. Please engage in intelligent conversation without telling UK fans how to behave or just go away. After the crap IU condoned for decades under Knight and the treatment of UK fans in 2011, your fans have no room to lecture anyone on decorum. Why don't you go apologize to Neil Reid's family for the hit job your coach and fans did on his reputation? Video vindicated the young man but to his death he was hated by IU fans. Hell your fan's hero Knight is still wishing death on people.

I really don't care if we play every year either. I'm guessing we'll start something with Arizona now on top of everything else. Archie said he would get rid of the cupcakes Crean scheduled in an attempt to hide his coaching flaws. It feels good to be able to criticize crean to other fan bases. He was hard to stand up for.
There was an article in the Evansville paper about IU's recent poor scheduling. Definitely in need of an upgrade.

As for renewing the UK-IU series, I'm pretty indifferent to it. If the powers that be work out a way to do it, so be it. Money talk$, and that ultimately will be the determining factor if it happens or not.

Look you may think you are trying to engage in conversation but your passive aggressive bullshit is tiring. While I won't attempt to justify any individual's behavior but my own, I also won't sit by and read judgmental crap from an IU fan on a UK board and look the other way. Please engage in intelligent conversation without telling UK fans how to behave or just go away. After the crap IU condoned for decades under Knight and the treatment of UK fans in 2011, your fans have no room to lecture anyone on decorum. Why don't you go apologize to Neil Reid's family for the hit job your coach and fans did on his reputation? Video vindicated the young man but to his death he was hated by IU fans. Hell your fan's hero Knight is still wishing death on people.
Oh IU has idiot fans too. If it had been us we probably would have had people do the exact same thing, but it wasn't our fans it was yours. With that said, I've said plenty of complimentary things about your fan base. Since I started posting I figured I'd be run off quickly even if I was here just to talk basketball but surprisingly most of you have been cool. You're very passionate fan base and I can relate to that. If you don't want me posting on your board that's fine I won't but that post that you didn't like is just the truth and your base knows the way he was treated was wrong. I'm sure he'll never ref another UK game again so in that sense you've gotten what you wanted.

Did you care in 2016 march madness or was that an expected loss to IU?
Acting like you don't care?!! Lol

I was hoping we would win. Obviously. Like I do every other game we play. But then the game ended, IU deservedly beat us, and I moved on. How obsessed are you with Kentucky that you need me to care about Indiana? Who are you to tell me how I feel about IU? Get over yourself.

Reactions: brianpoe
Oh IU has idiot fans too. If it had been us we probably would have had people do the exact same thing, but it wasn't our fans it was yours. With that said, I've said plenty of complimentary things about your fan base. Since I started posting I figured I'd be run off quickly even if I was here just to talk basketball but surprisingly most of you have been cool. You're very passionate fan base and I can relate to that. If you don't want me posting on your board that's fine I won't but that post that you didn't like is just the truth and your base knows the way he was treated was wrong. I'm sure he'll never ref another UK game again so in that sense you've gotten what you wanted.
Look you seem ok. Apologize if a little strong. I have spent my entire adult life in Indiana listening to stupid ass comments from so many IU fans about people from KY that most will not get the benefit of the doubt from me. Your legendary coach caused 90% of this behavior towards UK with his ignorant comments.

IU fans speaking out to UK fans on behavior will never be well received. Seems to me most of your posts have been fine and I apologize for the quick trigger.

Neither team needs the other. Kentucky is winning, IU is losing, but neither is missing much not playing the other.

IU has OOC only Butler and Louisville on their schedule, but in conference (Michigan, OSU, Michigan St, Wisconsin) yearly tough teams.

Kentucky needs tougher out of conference teams (Kansas, UNC, Louisville, UCLA). The SEC did well this year in the tournament with 3 in the 8, but that is not a common year.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Look you seem ok. Apologize if a little strong. I have spent my entire adult life in Indiana listening to stupid ass comments from so many IU fans about people from KY that most will not get the benefit of the doubt from me. Your legendary coach caused 90% of this behavior towards UK with his ignorant comments.

IU fans speaking out to UK fans on behavior will never be well received. Seems to me most of your posts have been fine and I apologize for the quick trigger.
I have family that lives in Kentucky and cousins that went to UK. I liked the friends of theirs that I met that they went to school with. People on both sides need to grow up and not takes things too far. A friendly rivalry is fun and it shouldn't go past that.

There was an article in the Evansville paper about IU's recent poor scheduling. Definitely in need of an upgrade.

As for renewing the UK-IU series, I'm pretty indifferent to it. If the powers that be work out a way to do it, so be it. Money talk$, and that ultimately will be the determining factor if it happens or not.
I'm from Washington. Not far from one another.

I've yet to see a valid argument for UK renewing the series with IU. Would make better sense to start a series with West Virginia, Purdue, Notre Dame or Cincinnati. Maybe even Xavier.
Really, how does playing IU help UK? Make an argument that cannot be challenged. And before our interloping IU fan says "recruiting" I would point out that any perceived shortcomings UK may have (can't believe I typed that) in that area will be remedied by the return of Orlando Antigua to the staff in the near future.

As long as Cal is the coach you don't need any game to help you recruit. I liked the game because it made for a fun day but obviously I don't make those decisions. I actually doubt it gets going again.

I've yet to see a valid argument for UK renewing the series with IU. Would make better sense to start a series with West Virginia, Purdue, Notre Dame or Cincinnati. Maybe even Xavier.
Really, how does playing IU help UK? Make an argument that cannot be challenged. And before our interloping IU fan says "recruiting" I would point out that any perceived shortcomings UK may have (can't believe I typed that) in that area will be remedied by the return of Orlando Antigua to the staff in the near future.
Hell I would pick up a series with Butler first if it were about recruiting.

if cal gets it back up and no UK fans show up then he will get the message. Or if he does and one of our fans or players get hurt this time it will be on him.

College basketball is about the college atmosphere. Play home and home, forget this neutral site nonsense. The pageantry is going into their house and leaving with a win.

Not a fan of neutral sites unless they are tournaments.

I don't know man...those old games at Freedom Hall were some of the best games I've ever attended in person - there's just something really cool about an old school gym like that, divided almost perfectly down the middle between red and blue. Plus, we usually won, so there's that...

The games at that stupid RCA dome or whatever, meh...

if cal gets it back up and no UK fans show up then he will get the message. Or if he does and one of our fans or players get hurt this time it will be on him.
The players have never been the problem. I remember the week leading up to the Watshot game. IU had been awful under crean till that season and they were decent that year and UK was great and ranked #1. The feeling all week was if we win this game it would signafy that we were back as we expected good things under crean at that point. All week everyone was pumped for that game and I knew UK fans would be few in number as it would be hard for them to get tickets. I was afraid the ones that went would be treated very poorly and it sounds like you were. It's probably good that it was cancelled because you all would have seemed revenge the following year on what IU fans went to the game at Rupp. It was just a weird year. Usually IU fans wouldn't be that bad

It's almost more fun listening to them bitch like a bunch of jilted little girls about not being on UK's schedule....

It's almost more fun listening to them bitch like a bunch of jilted little girls about not being on UK's schedule....
I don't think most care that much. I liked the game but no one is losing sleep over it. I started the thread to see if your base wanted to start playing again now that we have what I believe to be a competent coach. It appears the answer is...no

Last edited:
Reactions: ukalum1988
no I don't agree with you. Have been to games where the other teams crowd where bad real bad but yet when they came to Rupp they were not treated that way. There were UK fans went to eat before the game and IU fans came over and poured beer over a kids head, they were cussing out every UK fan in the building, cars were damaged, then you rushed the floor and dam near got several people hurt. No I don't want to play you again unless we have to and then out of the state of IN

I don't think most care that much. I liked the game but no one is losing sleep over it. I started the thread to see if your base wanted to start playing again now that we have what I believe to be a competent coach. It appears the answer is...no
Growing up on the Ky side of the river and having a lot of relatives / IU fans in the Evansville area, the UK/IU game was definitely a big deal when I was growing up and just out of college. I'm 51 now and resuming the series just doesn't jazz me up. So I agree with you on not losing sleep over it.

no I don't agree with you. Have been to games where the other teams crowd where bad real bad but yet when they came to Rupp they were not treated that way. There were UK fans went to eat before the game and IU fans came over and poured beer over a kids head, they were cussing out every UK fan in the building, cars were damaged, then you rushed the floor and dam near got several people hurt. No I don't want to play you again unless we have to and then out of the state of IN
If true all of that truly is horrible except the rushing of the court I actually understand that. New kids come in every year and all the knew at the time was losing under crean so they were excited that's one of the cool things about sports in general. But if the other stuff is actually true and not hear say the people that did those things definitely deserved some sort of punishment. Attacking innocent people in any way just because they cheer for a different team than you doesn't make any sense at all when you actually think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT