ADVERTISEMENT

****The Official UK v Michigan state game thread****

I agree with you. Played basketball back in the day. I understand the mental part of it. Olegsby, dorsey, and the third ref don't deserve to call a middle school game. Honestly i hope they get fired and have to work at a gas station graveyard shift. But despite all of that we had our chances. How many times is cal going to get out coached? The same issues and deficiencies keep happening. You would have thought the St. Peter's loss would have taught cal a lesson but it hasn't. Again when the big game happens we crumble.

Yeah Im not giving Cal great coaching grades for tonight. But he's always kept things overly simple, for better or worse.

I think the overall execution of the team was the problem. I think Cal got the right players in there (something we often bitch about), he used timeouts a little better than normal (calling one right after Izzo was a move I dont normally see).

But the team mostly played like shit.

Bad loss. But hopefully they will learn from it.

Free throws and turnovers killed us. But it's also missing Oscar in practice the last few weeks. Give them time to gel.

Frederick and Reeves need to drive more aggressively. Hopefully Damion gets up to speed soon too.
I don’t know about they, but I learned two things.

1. We still don’t practice free throws.

2. Cal is still the same level of bench coach that he was when he pi$$ed away a National championship to Kansas during his stint as HC at Memphis.

GBB!

Reactions: cat tat2
because it just works that way

UK players will feel the sting of this loss and play 3 feet above the rim against Gonzaga. I wouldn't be surprised to see us win by 10.

its meaningless in the scheme of things. We know all we need to know about this team now.
Suc as, they run no offense, they only have one true point guard, they don't have a good bench coach, they fold under pressure, etc. Did I leave anything out?

Yeah Im not giving Cal great coaching grades for tonight. But he's always kept things overly simple, for better or worse.

I think the overall execution of the team was the problem. I think Cal got the right players in there (something we often bitch about), he used timeouts a little better than normal (calling one right after Izzo was a move I dont normally see).

It's just frustrating cause how many times are we going to let free throws or defensive mistakes cost us? I would think after our putrid record in big games and St. Peter's would change something. Look i usually defend cal but he's making it harder and harder.

Suc as, they run no offense, they only have one true point guard, they don't have a good bench coach, they fold under pressure, etc. Did I leave anything out?
I'm lost on Cal's reliance on Wheeler. I'm glad he came back and is on the team but you can't rely on him. You just don't know what you are going to get and for all the good he does, when you need him to step up , its 50/50 on whether he will give you a positive.

Wallace has a ceiling. and we've seen multiple years where Cal was all in on a young PG who performed on par as Wallace.

I don't get it and I'm tired of trying to figure out Cal. While I put more value on an experienced player, Wheeler just sticks a knife in you and twists in crunch situations.

I don't have to know coaching to know this program is no longer playing at a consistently high level and more importantly, what all of us have learned but some of us can't admit is recruiting doesn't solve it.

It's just frustrating cause how many times are we going to let free throws or defensive mistakes cost us? I would think after our putrid record in big games and St. Peter's would change something. Look i usually defend cal but he's making it harder and harder.

He is what he is. He focuses on recruiting and making the offense easy for young players.. maybe he needs to change it. Sure. But it's worked pretty well so far. ..

I still think if the officials weren't doing their usual "equalizing" bull shit, this is one of the many games we win. But they helped MSU and Cal isn't good enough to overcome that every time.

The team will get better. We lost last year's Classic and then later boatraced both teams that made it to the championship game.

I'm lost on Cal's reliance on Wheeler. I'm glad he came back and is on the team but you can't rely on him. You just don't know what you are going to get and for all the good he does, when you need him to step up , its 50/50 on whether he will give you a positive.

Wallace has a ceiling. and we've seen multiple years where Cal was all in on a young PG who performed on par as Wallace.

I don't get it and I'm tired of trying to figure out Cal.

I don't have to know coaching to know this program is no longer playing at consistently high level and more importantly, what all of us have learned but some of us can't admit is recruiting doesn't solve it.
I didn't see anything from Wallace that made me want to see more of him tonight. When it mattered, he didn't show up. Also, simply passing the ball around the perimeter isn't point guard qualities for success. At least Wheeler isn't afraid to try and he isn't afraid of failing.

I didn't see anything from Wallace that made me want to see more of him tonight. When it mattered, he didn't show up. Also, simply passing the ball around the perimeter isn't point guard material. At least Wheeler isn't afraid to try and he isn't afraid of failing
maybe he should be afraid of failing, then he wouldn't pass the ball to someone's ankles with the game on the line or take a 3 with shooters on the floor.

Wallace is in his 3rd game of his career and the guy had 6 steals

maybe he should be afraid of failing, then he wouldn't pass the ball to someone's ankles with the game on the line or take a 3 with shooters on the floor.

Wallace is in his 3rd game of his career and the guy had 6 steals
Are you talking about the same shooters who failed to step up for most of the night. I will take Wheeler at the point over what we currently have. Wallace has a long way to go before he becomes productive at the point. I have more respect for a person who isn't afraid to use what he has than someone with more talent but afraid to use it. However, to be honest, it isn't the players. It is the head coach.

He is what he is. He focuses on recruiting and making the offense easy for young players.. maybe he needs to change it. Sure. But it's worked pretty well so far. ..

I still think if the officials weren't doing their usual "equalizing" bull shit, this is one of the many games we win. But they helped MSU and Cal isn't good enough to overcome that every time.

100% accurate.

Oglesby is a trash official anyways. I'd get pure enjoyment watching him get fired. You knew he was gonna be shitty when he was arguing with a fan while running down the floor.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Are you talking about the same shooters who failed to step up for most of the night. I will take Wheeler at the point over what we currently have. Wallace has a long way to go before he becomes productive at the point.
I would not

I don't particularly like to dog players but I'm not seeing growth in Wheeler. He's the same guy he was on day 1 here.

Tell me we'll win a championship with Wheeler. Don't worry about Wallace - just focus on Wheeler. Is he the guy to take this team to a championship.

Reactions: CincyUKFan

If you think Cal had the right lineups tonite you know next to nothing about basketballl

Reactions: cat tat2
If you think Cal had the right lineups tonite you know next to nothing about basketballl

Who do you think the differences should be?

He played CJ. He put Oscar out there. Reeves played.

Collins might be a little lost right now, that was a mistake.

But yes, Wheeler should have been out there. Wallace would have just been more lost. Wheeler was not perfect, but he was a 7.. Wallace running the point was looking like a 5 or a 6.

EVERY damn one of you drank the cool-aid AGAIN... ST PET.. then a few recruits. then we beat some village teams on an Island.. Cals forgiven... were gonna win #9... then this. Don't worry though we got Wagner for next year so you yall can do it all over again.. Go ahead, check my posting history.. I haven't drank his damn cool-aid for 4 years now.
It's always next year. It has to be this year. Cal is in title or bust territory.

Are you talking about the same shooters who failed to step up for most of the night. I will take Wheeler at the point over what we currently have. Wallace has a long way to go before he becomes productive at the point. I have more respect for a person who isn't afraid to use what he has than someone with more talent but afraid to use it. However, to be honest, it isn't the players. It is the head coach.
Yeah that's not on the shooters. That's on the inept offensive plan.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
I mean yeah, that was a disappointing end, but that's more of an exception to Cal's performance in the tourney usually.
17-18 lost in 2nd round
18-19 lost in EE
19-20 no tounrey
20-21 missed tourney
21-22 lost in 1st round

The decline is very obvious if you want to see it

Reactions: CincyUKFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT