ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

I think we will look back and even though the swimmers had more golds than the Australians it felt disappointing with some of the results and silvers (probably more letdown with the men than women),however, the men’s and women’s track and field performances by the USA were probably as a whole one of the best we’ve ever seen. The depth and talent they showed was incredible.
I kind of felt that way too a bit about the swimming, but we did have 10 more medals than the Aussies. 27-17. Honestly, they are probably more disappointed than us.

Reactions: Wesley91581
I'd love to see which Chinese players or teams couldn't place top10 (anything track and field).. they should add that up.

US is generally in everything. China has its 5 or 6 dominant events and is nothing in everything else.

Lol, didn't see this until today.. but 11 Chinese swimmers tested positive for a banned heart medication, through contaminated food (lol, I always love that line from athletes taking PEDS), and were still allowed to compete and likely take home some medals:

China’s newfound prowess in the pool has not come without significant scrutiny, however, after it emerged that 23 swimmers — including 11 who went to Paris — had tested positive for banned heart medication in 2021 but were still allowed to compete.

China’s doping agency said they had eaten contaminated food, an explanation accepted by the World Anti-Doping Agency, WADA, which did not make the incident public until it was revealed by a New York Times investigation earlier this year.

• Angry
Reactions: Ron Mehico
If the US women lose, and we wind up coming one Gold Medal behind China.. you can make the case that if they just allowed CC to rightfully be on the Olympic team, that the US wouldn't have come in 2nd in gold.

I know, that's a huge stretch and other athletes could have stepped up in their sports.. but at the same time, the pettiness and racism of not letting CC play is all that more silly to me.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Track And Field Swimming GIF by jon hanlan

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Lol, didn't see this until today.. but 11 Chinese swimmers tested positive for a banned heart medication, through contaminated food (lol, I always love that line from athletes taking PEDS), and were still allowed to compete and likely take home some medals:

China’s newfound prowess in the pool has not come without significant scrutiny, however, after it emerged that 23 swimmers — including 11 who went to Paris — had tested positive for banned heart medication in 2021 but were still allowed to compete.

China’s doping agency said they had eaten contaminated food, an explanation accepted by the World Anti-Doping Agency, WADA, which did not make the incident public until it was revealed by a New York Times investigation earlier this year.
No wonder Phelps came out and campaigned for lifetime bans if caught doping.

Reactions: stuway
Disappointed we couldn't get 1 more gold to put China in second. So many blown opportunities where we could have done better. At least we destroyed them and everyone else in total medals. So does anyone know how many the University of Kentucky ended up with? I think we had 6 just in track and field. There were 2 in basketball. One for volleyball. Any others? A pretty good haul.

I’m a “you won the Olympics if you have the most gold medals” guy. But I’m also an “if golds are tied you look at overall medal count” guy. So by that measure we kicked China’s ass.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
I think they ran that early this morning. ESPN has it in their results.
Yep, missed that. The lady who won has to take the prize as the best cardio in the games. Ran both the 5k and 10k and then wins the marathon. That’s almost not human.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT