ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Remember when angry people online attacked Simone Biles because of her mental health struggles and she just couldn't make it happen for herself? Her teammates stood by her and it seems she got the help she needed. And look at her today.

Keyboard warriors will never miss a chance to attack certain demographics I don’t need to mention.

I'm just happy for her. We all struggle at times and couple that with having the weight of a country on you - it's understandable. I certainly wouldn't have the balls to verbally go after someone in her position. Can't imagine how great she must feel now.

Women’s fencing takes team gold

murica GIF

Felt sorry for Wyndham Clark. His Olympics started Bogey, Double Bogey, Bogey. Pretty much a buzz kill from the get go.

I have a hard time understanding this. Can't remember a single round where I started that poorly. :eek::rolleyes:☹️ Well, maybe one or two . . .

Felt sorry for Wyndham Clark. His Olympics started Bogey, Double Bogey, Bogey. Pretty much a buzz kill from the get go.

I have a hard time understanding this. Can't remember a single round where I started that poorly. :eek::rolleyes:☹️ Well, maybe one or two . . .
I always thought he was the out of place one with the USA team. He just didn't strike me as a threat to win when they announced him.

Heh, this dude and USA male gymnast are the two coolest mofos on the Earth at this time.

This guy is absolutely the coolest. I love dude. No ears or eyes. Shots one handed, other hand in his pocket, with both eyes open. I want to buy him a beer and hang with him for a bit.

3 on 3 basketball? I want to see H-O-R-S-E added as an even next time. 🤔

If we're going to do 3on3, then add 1on1.. I'd much rather see that honestly.

Do it by height, add 3 or 4 different ranges. I'd love to see someone like Kyrie (probably past his prime for this event soon), Cook people in a 1on1 game. Or even upcommers like Antman or Maxey.

And it would be cool to see if there's ever a time where we have an athlete who wins a gold in 5v5, 3v3, and 1v1.

Reactions: JDHoss
"Despite reaching the final of the World Championships in March 2023, Khelif was disqualified just before the bout for "medical reasons."

In the weeks that followed, it emerged that Khelif was removed from the competition after drug tests confirmed high levels of testosterone.

Following this incident, IBA president Umar Kremlev stated that these results proved that Khelif and other female athletes with elevated levels of testosterone carried male chromosomes."
Congratulations, you're learning that sex and gender isn't black and white.

You can have male chromosomes and present as female without any external male reproductive organs. There are photos of this woman as a child, she has been a girl/woman her entire life. She comes from a country that would execute her if she tried to be a transgender female.

Some of you are incredibly ignorant about this entire topic and it really shows.

You can have male chromosomes and present as female without any external male reproductive organs. There are photos of this woman as a child, she has been a girl/woman her entire life. She comes from a country that would execute her if she tried to be a transgender female.

Some of you are incredibly ignorant about this entire topic and it really shows.

To be fair, when this story first came out there was lots of misinformation about it. I had read in at least three sources that she was trans. It was only late this morning that I saw that she had been listed as female since birth, and that she has what they call DSD.

Human gender is on a pretty big spectrum, and it can be confusing for those of us without a graduate degree in human sexuality.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
To be fair, when this story first came out there was lots of misinformation about it. I had read in at least three sources that she was trans. It was only late this morning that I saw that she had been listed as female since birth, and that she has what they call DSD.

Human gender is on a pretty big spectrum, and it can be confusing for those of us without a graduate degree in human sexuality.
Which means people like Riley Gaines and Logan Paul should really research things before tweeting about it. To Paul’s credit, he issued a tweet admitting he spread misinformation. Gaines on the other hand has offrrrd no such retraction.

Yeah, doesn't seem like she changed genders or is trans.. More that the governing body couldn't say, through the testing, that she was definitively female, due to finding XY Chromosomes. So I'm fine walking back my criticisms. I am curious though if doping and testosterone treatment could be in play here. Testosterone is used in some organizations to determine gender, not Chromosomes. But I'd have to look a lot deeper.

All that said.. while some here and in the media will roll their eyes at those who cried foul over the false information at the time.. let's circle back next Olympics and see who is allowed to compete against who. Let's not pretend that athletes and stories like Lia Thomas don't exist. There will likely be a big push for this for 2028 Olympics.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
This is 100% accurate and I'm no expert either. But when I'm not an expert in something I refrain from having incredibly strong opinions about it. Which is not what the vast majority of people upset about this are doing. Everyone from a....certain political leaning to say it nicely....is rabid about this and acting like this is a man who dressed up as a woman so he could win an Olympic medal.

People need to be comfortable with saying "I really don't know enough about this to form an opinion, so I'm not going to get outraged about it and I will leave the decision in the hands of the organization that deals with this." And that goes for this topic and a million others where people see a random post on Twitter and all of a sudden believe they're experts.

Yeah, doesn't seem like she changed genders or is trans.. More that the governing body couldn't say, through the testing, that she was definitively female, due to finding XY Chromosomes. So I'm fine walking back my criticisms. I am curious though if doping and testosterone treatment could be in play here. Testosterone is used in some organizations to determine gender, not Chromosomes. But I'd have to look a lot deeper.

All that said.. while some here and in the media will roll their eyes at those who cried foul over the false information at the time.. let's circle back next Olympics and see who is allowed to compete against who. Let's not pretend that athletes and stories like Lia Thomas don't exist. There will likely be a big push for this for 2028 Olympics.
It also should be noted Khelif competed in the Tokyo Olympics and finished 5th. She has lost 9 times in her career and has a KO rate of 11%. She is not the raging testosterone riddled monster that many who continue to spread false information want you to believe she is.

It also should be noted Khelif competed in the Tokyo Olympics and finished 5th. She has lost 9 times in her career and has a KO rate of 11%. She is not the raging testosterone riddled monster that many who continue to spread false information want you to believe she is.

That WAS 3-4 years ago. And her recently failed tests are are from 2023 if I'm not mistaken. It's probably, if anything, more about doping than it is about actually being trans.

But it's not much help comparing someone 3-4 years ago to now. A lot can change in an athlete's time line:

4e70ca9feab8ea497200002f

That WAS 3-4 years ago. And her recently failed tests are are from 2023 if I'm not mistaken. It's probably, if anything, more about doping than it is about actually being trans.

But it's not much help comparing someone 3-4 years ago to now. A lot can change in an athlete's time line:

4e70ca9feab8ea497200002f
There are questions about the test she is said to have failed. The IBF, who is no longer recognized due to allegations of corruption, has said she failed genetic testing but they have refused to provide details about the test or provide proof kid those results. We all know that Russia does sketchy things with regards to athletes so questions are being brought up and rightfully so.

4e70ca9feab8ea497200002f
Also, she passed the same qualification tests for this Olympics as she did in Tokyo. There were no issues with her competing then so why now? She had 3 years to practice and get better.

Seems as if the doping and testosterone bans of the past are now all suspect when a person who likely has a “Y” chromosome (and the DSD reporting is likewise uncertain, as reporters are drawing conclusions from the inept manner in which the IOC has handled this situation). But, if Khelif has testicles that produce testosterone levels that was disqualifying from other completions, regardless of the gender identified, there is a legitimate question as to whether it is fair to make XX women compete with Khelif.

There are questions about the test she is said to have failed. The IBF, who is no longer recognized due to allegations of corruption, has said she failed genetic testing but they have refused to provide details about the test or provide proof kid those results. We all know that Russia does sketchy things with regards to athletes so questions are being brought up and rightfully so.

What is the status of Khelif’s appeal of that decision? If there was no appeal, why do you suppose that is?

If we're going to do 3on3, then add 1on1.. I'd much rather see that honestly.

Do it by height, add 3 or 4 different ranges. I'd love to see someone like Kyrie (probably past his prime for this event soon), Cook people in a 1on1 game. Or even upcommers like Antman or Maxey.

And it would be cool to see if there's ever a time where we have an athlete who wins a gold in 5v5, 3v3, and 1v1.
Read a CBS Sports article just yesterday that a solution would be having Julius Randle, DeAaron Fox, Herb Jones and Desmane Bane team and how it would fix the US 3x3 team. (not even factoring in we sent a bunch of stiffs, pretty much ANY NBA players would help), But singling out of all the players possible, the four players mentioned above. You need guys who can create their own shot, score at the rim, and rebound, shoot and are physical. A key component to winning is being able to score on your man while having the ball. No time for picks, screens, or running an offense. The stipulation for making the team for their exercise was no prior 5x5 Olympic participation. I thought it was cool, two of the 4 players named was former UK players. Good read on how 3x3 and 5x5 are so different.

"Present"? WTF does that have to do with anything? Just more BS trying to muddy the waters.

At the most basic scientific biological level this person has male chromosomes and high levels of testosterone. This provides an advantage just like doping, maybe even more so.

It doesn't matter how "she" "presents" or what organ anomalies she *may* have. We're talking about providing fair competition. Just looking at this person you can see that she has a biological advantage.

You guys dgaf about fairness to women. We've already seen the smug anointed liberal position of supporting fully documented male athletes in women's sports so everybody knows where you stand, so gtfooh.

Always looking to push the boundaries then twist, squirm, and gaslight to rationalize the absurd.

Seems as if the doping and testosterone bans of the past are now all suspect when a person who likely has a “Y” chromosome (and the DSD reporting is likewise uncertain, as reporters are drawing conclusions from the inept manner in which the IOC has handled this situation). But, if Khelif has testicles that produce testosterone levels that was disqualifying from other completions, regardless of the gender identified, there is a legitimate question as to whether it is fair to make XX women compete with Khelif.
All reports indicate she was born with full female parts (vagina, uterus, etc) and lived her life as a girl in a country has strict anti trans laws. There are plenty of pictures online of her as a young girl. Do we really think a Muslim country with strict anti trans laws is going to allow a transgender to compete for them? That is what tweets like that from Riley Gaines yesterday causes a lot of problems. I saw that she essentially doubled down on it today. The argument the anti trans (though this isn’t a trans issue) folks have constantly made was a penis equals male and a vagina equals female. Now all of a sudden that isn’t the case from that side. Are we making up rules as we go?

I agree with you that there is a question as whether it’s fair or not but she reportedly met all the requirements to compete as a female.

Reactions: GeraldV
What is the status of Khelif’s appeal of that decision? If there was no appeal, why do you suppose that is?

Was wondering this myself. I was also reading that the IBF denied testing for Testosterone.

IDK, just seems like even if we totally remove the Trans topic from this (to make both sides happy), there's still something odd going on. Why do I get the sense this isn't merely just a few extra XY Chromosomes present? Or maybe that is all this is and she's just packing some extra "oompf" in those punches.

"Present"? WTF does that have to do with anything? Just more BS trying to muddy the waters.

At the most basic scientific biological level this person has male chromosomes and high levels of testosterone. This provides an advantage just like doping, maybe even more so.

It doesn't matter how "she" "presents" or what organ anomalies she *may* have. We're talking about providing fair competition. Just looking at this person you can see that she has a biological advantage.

You guys dgaf about fairness to women. We've already seen the smug anointed liberal position of supporting fully documented male athletes in women's sports so everybody knows where you stand, so gtfooh.

Always looking to push the boundaries then twist, squirm, and gaslight to rationalize the absurd.

On this topic.. allowing those with DSD, and therefore having male Chromosomes present, to compete against females... IDK. I see the advantage it imposes, but I also get that this is something from birth that no one has control over (assuming these chromosomes weren't manipulated through doping mechanisms).

Create a DSD Olympics? lol.

On this topic.. allowing those with DSD, and therefore having male Chromosomes present, to compete against females... IDK. I see the advantage it imposes, but I also get that this is something from birth that no one has control over (assuming these chromosomes weren't manipulated through doping mechanisms).

Create a DSD Olympics? lol.
Of course nobody has control over how they're born. I don't see why we should wreck the system and bend the rules just to accommodate the .01% (or whatever it is).

Life isn't fair in one way or another for anybody. For some more so than others. And some things can't be fixed to the satisfaction of everybody.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
The IOC has not asked for the test. That will be a simple solution. Ask for the test, see exactly why she failed and then determine if she should be able to compete. Also, the IOC is a LOT less stringent on guidelines for athletes to compete. It is not that the IBF has refused to give results, they haven't been asked for them because the IOC does not want to base their decision off of another sanctioning bodies test. The IOC knows the athletes (China fighter also) would not pass, thus they are using their less stringent test for admission. They do not want the backlash it would cause to find out the results of those test, the easy way to do that would be not to ask for or accept the results. Yes the IBF has a sketchy past and corruption, but it doesn't change the fact that there are athletes competing in the womens division who should not be. But the IBF's biggest issue is women that have XY chromosomes are not allowed to compete against women.
I side with the IBF on this, if you have XY chromosomes, an athlete should NOT be allowed to compete against women. It is an obvious unfair advantage.

Of course nobody has control over how they're born. I don't see why we should wreck the system and bend the rules just to accommodate the .01% (or whatever it is).

Life isn't fair in one way or another for anybody. For some more so than others. And some things can't be fixed to the satisfaction of everybody.

I’m surprised God is in the business of creating people like this. I thought gender at birth was binary?

Reactions: GeraldV
The IOC has not asked for the test. That will be a simple solution. Ask for the test, see exactly why she failed and then determine if she should be able to compete. Also, the IOC is a LOT less stringent on guidelines for athletes to compete. It is not that the IBF has refused to give results, they haven't been asked for them because the IOC does not want to base their decision off of another sanctioning bodies test. The IOC knows the athletes (China fighter also) would not pass, thus they are using their less stringent test for admission. They do not want the backlash it would cause to find out the results of those test, the easy way to do that would be not to ask for or accept the results. Yes the IBF has a sketchy past and corruption, but it doesn't change the fact that there are athletes competing in the womens division who should not be. But the IBF's biggest issue is women that have XY chromosomes are not allowed to compete against women.
I side with the IBF on this, if you have XY chromosomes, an athlete should NOT be allowed to compete against women. It is an obvious unfair advantage.
They have been asked.

The IBA said the test’s “specifics remain confidential,” refusing to explain it.

There is a very good article on Yahoo Sports explaining it all from an unbiased point of view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT