ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA finally converted to Cal's gospel and now Cal doesn't know what to preach anymore.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
For years, John Calipari has been preaching that good word. He's been standing on his soapbox, thundering down his rhetorical bolts of lightning as he towered over the Big Tent Revival of College Basketball, and telling anyone who would listen about the gospel of "Player's First." With "player's first", Cal favored both payments to players for use of their image and likeness, and publicly supported instant transfers. As Cal put it, if a coach can leave immediately, why can't a player? If a coach can make money off his image and likeness, why can't a player?

But what would happen if the NCAA, that longstanding sinner of all sinners, finally took that step to the altar and said, "yes" to Cal's message? Well, it's happened. That old vile sinner, the NCAA, is now a believer, and the good reverend John Calipari suddenly doesn't know what other type of sermon to preach.

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

What's that, Reverend? You're telling us that you're "not really interested" in players who put their interests ahead of a program? Isn't that what you've been telling us you're all about for years? Isn't that precisely how you were able to land a second year commitment out of your National Player of the Year, with a handsome NIL deal?

To be sure, one of his former sermons went like this: “If you’re about the kids, you’re not making mistakes,” Calipari declared. “If you’re about the organization, the bureaucracy versus the kids, you’re wrong all the time. You are wrong every time...I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.Fair enough, Reverend. We get it. The gospel consists of being about the kids and putting them ahead of the program. I like the sound of that. I'm sure you're consistent with that all the way around and that...wait...what's this...

Before the listener under the Big Tent starts to walk to the altar, the Good Reverend Calipari breaks out into a new sermon, one that seems to contradict his previous sermons: “You come here because of the culture,” Calipari said. “To be developed, the environment, the fans, trying to compete for national titles, having other really good players to play with. That’s why you come here. ‘Coach, how can you develop me? What can you add? What can you do?’ Not, ‘How much is the NIL?" Wait. What's that? It's suddenly about the program? I thought you just said it's about the player.

To this, the logical conclusion of Cal's initial message might be that players should care about the price tag on an NIL deal. Why wouldn't they? If it's "about these kids", and they're trying to "chase their dreams" and "end generational poverty" and all of that, why is it suddenly sinful for them to ask for the absolute value of what they're worth as a player? Wasn't that the basis of what you've preached all of these years, is that the players should put themselves first? Isn't that why Shaedon Sharpe sat out this year, because, as you told us twice, "he made the right decision for him?"

Indeed, the good reverend seems to need to work out some of his gospel message. He's finally converted the sinner, and now he doesn't seem to know what to preach anymore.

Last edited:
Cal doesn’t want to help these kids and their families that are in generational poverty? Maybe by getting them to the NBA, but Cal doesn’t want to help out the kid and families in college. Very strange talk from Cal, he needs to get his arms around this now and help these poor kids now and help set them up for life while at UK.

In a season full of terrible news and embarrassing situations, Cal publicly being against NIL is one of the most shocking and embarrassing things yet

This. The guy that has torn up player scholarships to force them into the draft to end generational poverty. That guy all-of-a-sudden doesn't wanna talk NIL in a free market. Not for grad transfers anyway. You gotta be a 5 star top 10 recruit. Then you get 500k, and to drive around a Porsche without playing a single minute.

It's Science, people.

For years, John Calipari has been preaching that good word. He's been standing on his soapbox, thundering down his rhetorical bolts of lightning as he towered over the Big Tent Revival of College Basketball, and telling anyone who would listen about the gospel of "Player's First." With "player's first", Cal favored both payments to players for use of their image and likeness, and publicly supported instant transfers. As Cal put it, if a coach can leave immediately, why can't a player? If a coach can make money off his image and likeness, why can't a player?

But what would happen if the NCAA, that longstanding sinner of all sinners, finally took that step to the altar and said, "yes" to Cal's message? Well, it's happened. That old vile sinner, the NCAA, is now a believer, and the good reverend John Calipari suddenly doesn't know what other type of sermon to preach.

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

What's that, Reverend? You're telling us that you're "not really interested" in players who put their interests ahead of a program? Isn't that what you've been telling us you're all about for years? Isn't that precisely how you were able to land a second year commitment out of your National Player of the Year, with a handsome NIL deal?

To be sure, one of his former sermons went like this: “If you’re about the kids, you’re not making mistakes,” Calipari declared. “If you’re about the organization, the bureaucracy versus the kids, you’re wrong all the time. You are wrong every time...I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.Fair enough, Reverend. We get it. The gospel consists of being about the kids and putting them ahead of the program. I like the sound of that. I'm sure you're consistent with that all the way around and that...wait...what's this...

Before the listener under the Big Tent starts to walk to the altar, the Good Reverend Calipari breaks out into a new sermon, one that seems to contradict his previous sermons: “You come here because of the culture,” Calipari said. “To be developed, the environment, the fans, trying to compete for national titles, having other really good players to play with. That’s why you come here. ‘Coach, how can you develop me? What can you add? What can you do?’ Not, ‘How much is the NIL?" Wait. What's that? It's suddenly about the program? I thought you just said it's about the player.

To this, the logical conclusion of Cal's initial message might be that players should care about the price tag on an NIL deal. Why wouldn't they? If it's "about these kids", and they're trying to "chase their dreams" and "end generational poverty" and all of that, why is it suddenly sinful for them to ask for the absolute value of what they're worth as a player? Wasn't that the basis of what you've preached all of these years, is that the players should put themselves first? Isn't that why Shaedon Sharpe sat out this year, because, as you told us twice, "he made the right decision for him?"

Indeed, the good reverend seems to need to work out some of his gospel message. He's finally converted the sinner, and now he doesn't seem to know what to preach anymore.

You're complaint is akin to faulting a gun rights activist who objects to murder. Calipari isn't complaining about NIL and players profiting from it. He's objecting to players demanding a bidding war for their presence. Schools aren't supposed to be a part of that. UK advises players on how to go about it., but the numbers are between the businesses and the players. It's not really a subtle distinction.

This. The guy that has torn up player scholarships to force them into the draft to end generational poverty. That guy all-of-a-sudden doesn't wanna talk NIL in a free market. Not for grad transfers anyway. You gotta be a 5 star top 10 recruit. Then you get 500k, and to drive around a Porsche without playing a single minute.

It's Science, people.
Because in a free market, Calipari doesn't hold the reigns. It's no longer automatic that kids want to come to UK. Calipari is now required to put in time and effort, strategize and be innovative to get kids to come here. It's no longer only one of two or three schools to get you to the NBA. That ship has sailed. Calipari never dreamed the NCAA would adapt to the modern market and allow NIL. It sounded good for him to spill this message and plaster his support for paying players because it sounded good for recruiting. Now that it's allowed, it requires Calipari to act upon it and he doesn't have the motivation to do so. It's come back to bite him and he's doing absolutely nothing about it.

You're complaint is akin to faulting a gun rights activist who objects to murder. Calipari isn't complaining about NIL and players profiting from it. He's objecting to players demanding a bidding war for their presence. Schools aren't supposed to be a part of that. UK advises players on how to go about it., but the numbers are between the businesses and the players. It's not really a subtle distinction.
But thats the market. A market that Calipari helped get us to....a market in which the players have the power which is something he's been "preaching" for 20 years. Now that players have power - he doesn't like it. Nothing wrong with Baylor Sheierman wanting a large NIL deal - its the market and the market dictates he's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Cal's being a huge hypocrite here with what he's preaching and he's talking out both sides of his mouth. He's making it seem like kids demanding NIL deals is a new thing - he's been dealing with recruits demanding things for 20 years and has had no problems working the angles to get that done but now that players have power and can publicly ask for exactly what they want - its an issue.

I can't tell you how much I was entertained by this! And, it's pretty spot on.

Reactions: Cawood86 and KFuqua
But thats the market. A market that Calipari helped get us to....a market in which the players have the power which is something he's been "preaching" for 20 years. Now that players have power - he doesn't like it. Nothing wrong with Baylor Sheierman wanting a large NIL deal - its the market and the market dictates he's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Cal's being a huge hypocrite here with what he's preaching and he's talking out both sides of his mouth. He's making it seem like kids demanding NIL deals is a new thing - he's been dealing with recruits demanding things for 20 years and has had no problems working the angles to get that done but now that players have power and can publicly ask for exactly what they want - its an issue.

I can only repeat my points. You're calling a gun rights activist who objects to murder a hypocrite.

That tendency to level everything to a single point is called a reductionist argument. Me? I object to reductionist arguments.

Reactions: jjsomer
Because in a free market, Calipari doesn't hold the reigns. It's no longer automatic that kids want to come to UK. Calipari is now required to put in time and effort, strategize and be innovative to get kids to come here. It's no longer only one of two or three schools to get you to the NBA. That ship has sailed. Calipari never dreamed the NCAA would adapt to the modern market and allow NIL. It sounded good for him to spill this message and plaster his support for paying players because it sounded good for recruiting. Now that it's allowed, it requires Calipari to act upon it and he doesn't have the motivation to do so. It's come back to bite him and he's doing absolutely nothing about it.
There's your angle.

UKs no longer "special" in regards to elite kids and getting things that only UK can offer. Kids are getting paid close to a million bucks to play basketball at freaking Miami! Cal no longer has all the cards and he's whining about players seeking compensation for their worth. Cal now has to convince kids that playing for him and playing for UK is enough - they can get NIL deals and get money ANYWHERE. Cal's wheelhouse has always been - "my team is bigger, better and full of more NBA players and I'm going to beat you, I'm not going to scout, I'm not going to watch tape, I'm just going to bring my team of future pros and roll you" and now the world he's coaching in is trying to coach a team with maybe 1 lottery pick and 3 NBA players total on it to a deep March run.

Reactions: JoeSwag

Good take

There's your angle.

UKs no longer "special" in regards to elite kids and getting things that only UK can offer. Kids are getting paid close to a million bucks to play basketball at freaking Miami! Cal no longer has all the cards and he's whining about players seeking compensation for their worth. Cal now has to convince kids that playing for him and playing for UK is enough - they can get NIL deals and get money ANYWHERE. Cal's wheelhouse has always been - "my team is bigger, better and full of more NBA players and I'm going to beat you, I'm not going to scout, I'm not going to watch tape, I'm just going to bring my team of future pros and roll you" and now the world he's coaching in is trying to coach a team with maybe 1 lottery pick and 3 NBA players total on it to a deep March run.
He has tried to entirely shift the foundation of this historic program to NBA draft picks. If it were up to him, UK would take down all the FF and championship banners in Rupp and hang up banners of all the NBA draft picks. He doesn't care about the history of this program, he cares about getting kids drafted. It was and always will be his only goal. Winning is a distant by-product for him. Now that kids can go to Ron Burgundy University and make half a million and showcase their talents and be a lottery pick, Calipari is spiraling with zero leverage on top recruits.

I can only repeat my points. You're calling a gun rights activist who objects to murder a hypocrite.

That tendency to level everything to a single point is called a reductionist argument. Me? I object to reductionist arguments.
I don't see the similarities in the argument.

Its an absolutely INSANE stance to take that in 2022 the NIL angle shouldn't be considered by recruits and transfers - of course it should. Not considering NIL is insane. Its a weird stance for a coach like Cal to take.

Think about it in normal terms - you're unemployed and looking for a job. You've got one company thats amazing and its great and it has a great history and when you ask them about salary they tell you - "ah, don't worry about it, sign the contract and we'll talk salary later." You going to that company or are you going to go to the company thats laid out your contract and salary and listed all your benefits?

Its an absolutely INSANE stance to take that in 2022 the NIL angle shouldn't be considered by recruits and transfers - of course it should. Not considering NIL is insane. Its a weird stance for a coach like Cal to take.

Think about it in normal terms - you're unemployed and looking for a job. You've got one company thats amazing and its great and it has a great history and when you ask them about salary they tell you - "ah, don't worry about it, sign the contract and we'll talk salary later." You going to that company or are you going to go to the company thats laid out your contract and salary and listed all your benefits?
The schools aren't supposed to participate. It's as simple as that.

Calling something insane -- even if you use all caps -- doesn't make it so.

Reactions: JasonSpears
The schools aren't supposed to participate. It's as simple as that.

Calling something insane -- even if you use all caps -- doesn't make it so.
Ah yes. Well, we wouldn't want the man who's gotten commits from more elite kids over the last 15 years than any other program to do something he isn't supposed to do.

Calipari Disciples form up...

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-head-smack.gif

Your analogy would be more appropriate if the employee went into the interview demanding a certain compensation package to even want to continue the interview. That is what Baylor S. and others are doing. To which Cal is not willing to participate in. Caving to that type of behavior creates the exact environment that occured in Miami with the Wong kid.

Come to UK, prove the fans your worth, and you will be compensated more than adequately. It's not a hard or novel concept.

Reactions: jjsomer
Your analogy would be more appropriate if the employee went into the interview demanding a certain compensation package to even want to continue the interview. That is what Baylor S. and others are doing. To which Cal is not willing to participate in. Caving to that type of behavior creates the exact environment that occured in Miami with the Wong kid.
You don't think Oscar's deal is creating any sort of similar environment?

Man dude, @Son_Of_Saul strikes again with an absolute spot on post. Cal sounds like a huge hypocrite right now. Especially after currently allowing Sharpe and his family/handlers to hold the program hostage. Like I said the other day, Cal can’t have it both ways. No doubt he will try, however.
You're missing the subtlety. If players want an agent or the like to get feelers for NIL at a destination that's fine, but negotiating that as a term for transfer WITH the school is patently ridiculous and against the spirit of the NIL rules. Players should get this info on their own if they want to make that part of their decision.

Great post

You don't think Oscar's deal is creating any sort of similar environment?
Not at all. Oscar played here for a year and earned his money. Hell, he played for a year without earning much of anything while watching his teammates make it and he still showed out every game, becoming the NPOY.

Oscar connected with the Fans and this program better than any player we have had in recent memory. He gave countless free autographs, public appearances and speeches. Never asking for anything in return.

He did all of this knowing his family is living in dire conditions in a 3rd world country he desperately want to save them from. His own mother has never even had the privilege of seeing her NPOY son play basketball.

Oscar could have gone pro and gotten paid, maybe gone to another school and gotten paid illegally. Instead, he played his heart out for UK and gave his all to this fanbase, never asking for or expecting more.

If you honestly can't see the differences, I have to wonder if you rode the short bus as a child?

Reactions: deep3 and treyforuk
“Man dude, @Son_Of_Saul strikes again with an absolute spot on post. Cal sounds like a huge hypocrite right now. Especially after currently allowing Sharpe and his family/handlers to hold the program hostage. Like I said the other day, Cal can’t have it both ways. No doubt he will try, however.”

LOL. Only if you have a portable goalpost.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Not at all. Oscar played here for a year and earned his money. Hell, he played for a year without earning much of anything while watching his teammates make it and he still showed out every game, becoming the NPOY.

Oscar connected with the Fans and this program better than any player we have had in recent memory. He gave countless free autographs, public appearances and speeches. Never asking for anything in return.

He did all of this knowing his family is living in dire conditions in a 3rd world country he desperately want to save them from. His own mother has never even had the privilege of seeing her NPOY son play basketball.

Oscar could have gone pro and gotten paid, maybe gone to another school and gotten paid illegally. Instead, he played his heart out for UK and gave his all to this fanbase, never asking for or expecting more.

If you honestly can't see the differences, I have to wonder if you rode the short bus as a child?
So you think.....the players considering UK or the players currently on UKs roster care about how well Oscar connected with fans or how his family is living? Oscar couldn't have gone pro and made more - Oscar came back to UK because coming back to UK made the most financial sense for Oscar - bottom line. If you think his NIL deal isn't being discussed by his teammates - which bus did you ride?

You can't hand out $2 million dollar NIL deals on one hand and talk about NIL deals ruining rosters and causing discord. You also can't hand out $2 million dollar NIL deals and then bitch about one of the best transfers on the market wanting to talk NIL when they meet with you.

Cal has been advocating for this market for 20 years. Cal and UK helped get Oscar the biggest NIL deal I've read about so far - forgive me if I don't want to here Cal complain about the monster he helped create.

Amen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT