ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA finally converted to Cal's gospel and now Cal doesn't know what to preach anymore.

So you think.....the players considering UK or the players currently on UKs roster care about how well Oscar connected with fans or how his family is living? Oscar couldn't have gone pro and made more - Oscar came back to UK because coming back to UK made the most financial sense for Oscar - bottom line. If you think his NIL deal isn't being discussed by his teammates - which bus did you ride?

You can't hand out $2 million dollar NIL deals on one hand and talk about NIL deals ruining rosters and causing discord. You also can't hand out $2 million dollar NIL deals and then bitch about one of the best transfers on the market wanting to talk NIL when they meet with you.

Cal has been advocating for this market for 20 years. Cal and UK helped get Oscar the biggest NIL deal I've read about so far - forgive me if I don't want to here Cal complain about the monster he helped create.
Lol, why does it matter what the other players think about Oscar? But, I would imagine they feel very similar.

Oscar won't be restricted by a studentvisa when he goes pro. In theory, he can earn more outside of college.

Where did I say NIL wasn't discussed by his teammates? 🤔

Again, you seem very confused by the differences in discussing NIL and making NIL demands. Can you demonstrate where Oscar or any of his teammates have made demands? 😊

So you also seem confused about how NIL works. Cal nor UK can "hand out" any NIL deals. That is up to outside businesses to do.

When they haven't done anything to earn that money or demonstrate their worth at UK as far as NIL goes, then why should they be making demands for NIL deals?!?! 🤔

Do you honestly not understand the difference in asking of there are good opportunities for potential NIL earnings and saying I need a guaranteed 7 figures to even continue this interview?

Can you quote where Cal has said he wanted to bid for players? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Well the bright side is Cal and Mitch finally agree on something. They’re both against NIL. But Cal’s not against it if you’re a top 5 recruit. Makes sense.

Reactions: Cawood86
Ah yes. Well, we wouldn't want the man who's gotten commits from more elite kids over the last 15 years than any other program to do something he isn't supposed to do.
Sounds a lot like a Louisville fan accusing our coach of cheating. Pretty rich, considering the source.

He has tried to entirely shift the foundation of this historic program to NBA draft picks. If it were up to him, UK would take down all the FF and championship banners in Rupp and hang up banners of all the NBA draft picks. He doesn't care about the history of this program, he cares about getting kids drafted. It was and always will be his only goal. Winning is a distant by-product for him. Now that kids can go to Ron Burgundy University and make half a million and showcase their talents and be a lottery pick, Calipari is spiraling with zero leverage on top recruits.
Thats why he didn't care about developing the bench. All he really cared about was getting players to the NBA, and because players are usually not good enough for the NBA, so why waste his time on them.

Cal now prefers a niche or a gimmick over hard work, strategy and tactical maneuvers. Here he essentially had a hissy fit in public over losing his much needed advantage.

Thats why he didn't care about developing the bench. All he really cared about was getting players to the NBA, and because players are usually not good enough for the NBA, so why waste his time on them.
Drafted by 5 or Die
Drafted Top 10 and Don't Win
First Picks Over Championships
Ride the Pine Over Winning Number Nine
Draft More Instead of Final Four
Cash in Mounds Over Advancing Past the First Round
Max for the Rookie Trumps Winning for Kentucky

Cal's next 7 book titles

Reactions: susan2361
The schools aren't supposed to participate. It's as simple as that.

Calling something insane -- even if you use all caps -- doesn't make it so.
While schools may not be negotiating the terms of the NIL deals, they are clearly gathering a collection of willing businesses to participate, and if you think coaches aren't saying "Oscar needs $2 million, and Damion only needs $150,000" then I'd say you are a bit naive.

Last edited:
Not at all. Oscar played here for a year and earned his money. Hell, he played for a year without earning much of anything while watching his teammates make it and he still showed out every game, becoming the NPOY.

Oscar connected with the Fans and this program better than any player we have had in recent memory. He gave countless free autographs, public appearances and speeches. Never asking for anything in return.

He did all of this knowing his family is living in dire conditions in a 3rd world country he desperately want to save them from. His own mother has never even had the privilege of seeing her NPOY son play basketball.

Oscar could have gone pro and gotten paid, maybe gone to another school and gotten paid illegally. Instead, he played his heart out for UK and gave his all to this fanbase, never asking for or expecting more.

If you honestly can't see the differences, I have to wonder if you rode the short bus as a child?
How did Shaedon earn his?

Lol, why does it matter what the other players think about Oscar? But, I would imagine they feel very similar.

Oscar won't be restricted by a studentvisa when he goes pro. In theory, he can earn more outside of college.

Again, you seem very confused by the differences in discussing NIL and making NIL demands. Can you demonstrate where Oscar or any of his teammates have made demands? 😊

So you also seem confused about how NIL works. Cal nor UK can "hand out" any NIL deals. That is up to outside businesses to do.

When they haven't done anything to earn that money or demonstrate their worth at UK as far as NIL goes, then why should they be making demands for NIL deals?!?! 🤔

Do you honestly not understand the difference in asking of there are good opportunities for potential NIL earnings and saying I need a guaranteed 7 figures to even continue this interview?

So, letting your coach know "If I don't get X number of dollars from NIL, then I have to turn pro" isn't a type of demand? Joe and kelly Craft made it happen and I doubt Oscar asked them for it personally.

So, letting your coach know "If I don't get X number of dollars from NIL, then I have to turn pro" isn't a type of demand? Joe and kelly Craft made it happen and I doubt Oscar asked them for it personally.
Not at all when you have already earned it by producing an NPOY campaign essentialy for free while his teammates got to profit simply based on where they were born.

Also, Oscar never demanded an amount...just the opportunity to be able to make anything in general. 😉

Baylor S. "I need 7 figures from an NIL deal and the ball in my hands constantly with unlimited shots or this interview is over and UK won'tbe considered."

Oscar. "Since I had a great season at UK, I have some offers to be drafted and go pro allowing me to make a few million. However, I love UK and college and just need enough money to help get my family out of harm, living in a 3rd world country in Africa. I want to bring them here, to the place I love. I just need to get the studentvisa issue straightened out to allow me to earn an income and I want to stay here and win a championship for the fans"

Yep, I can definitely see how you think they are the same. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: kl40504
Because you're talking about NIL deals causing issues within programs.
Sure - he can earn more once leaving UK technically - Obviously but in the short term the best move for him financially was returning to UK for one more year. Oscar's future is overseas and a year making 2 million at UK is a great consolation prize before leaving.
Right. Technically. Got you. (insert wink emoji)
So Freshman shouldn't get NIL deals until they prove their worth to UK? Baylor proved his worth by being the best mid-major player in the country and just because he didn't do it for UK doesn't mean UK can't compensate him for his future value to the program.
Again- if thats what you know your worth is then you aren't going to consider going to a place thats going to pay you less than that. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and saying "listen, Creighton has a $1 million dollar NIL package on the table, what are you offering? Can you top that?"
You're right. John Calipari has never verbatim said that he wanted a market in which teams bid on players. If only there wasn't 20 years of quotes of him advocating for players to have more power and autonomy. His entire career has been built on "doing whats best for the kids" and now that the kids are doing whats best for them he's complaining.

Not at all when you have already earned it by producing an NPOY campaign essentialy for free while his teammates got to profit simply based on where they were born.

Also, Oscar never demanded an amount...just the opportunity to be able to make anything in general. 😉

Baylor S. "I need 7 figures from an NIL deal and the ball in my hands constantly with unlimited shots or this interview is over and UK won'tbe considered."

Oscar. "Since I had a great season at UK, I have some offers to be drafted and go pro allowing me to make a few million. However, I love UK and college and just need enough money to help get my family out of harm, living in a 3rd world country in Africa. I want to bring them here, to the place I love. I just need to get the studentvisa issue straightened out to allow me to earn an income and I want to stay here and win a championship for the fans"

Yep, I can definitely see how you think they are the same. 🤣🤣🤣
You're throwing out an arbitrary term like "earned"; what constitutes "earned"? It's simply somebody else's judgment. And you're conflating two issues' UK had no say so in Oscar's lack of a deal; it was a matter of federal law. It's not UK or Oscar's fault he couldn't profit. THE NPOY had nothing to do with it. If he doesn't win NPOY this coming year is he less deserving of the $2 mil?

It's easy to see how conspiracy theories grow. A little assumption here. A little shading there,. Add in the fervor to believe. And, like The Lord of the Rings, each gossiper adds a little tale that grows in the telling. Pretty soon any connection to trivialities like facts become impediments.

Overzealous businesses decided he was worth the risk. You could earn it much the same way if they viewed you as a potential profit margin.
You're all over the place here; you say Oscar deserved his because he was NPOY, but can't communicate how Sharpe was deserving of his, despite not playing. You could use the "overzealous blah, blah , blah" to rationalize any deal.

Another brand new account. Hi lead.

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

Players don’t sign with Kentucky for money, Calipari says. They sign with this program to compete for titles and develop alongside other elite talent. If they’re looking for anything else, Lexington won’t be their next home.

-------------

These are the quotes of a coach who knows the game is changed and he is hanging on the hopes of Kentucky's legacy. A man who was 100% invested in promoting his own legacy finds he needs Kentucky's to compete in a market where he has to spend money that would normally go to him or his priorities on actual players instead.

Now he's suddenly not interested in changing generational poverty when its not the NBA's money he is spending. He's all about the culture and championships, like its always been that way with him.

At the time where Calipari would be the obvious choice to capitalize on NIL , the guy has found religion in players coming to Kentucky for the "right reasons" - its a miracle turn around - or more likely a response to being handed his humility on a platter by Sharpe.

Jason 'Spear' is back in the house?

The OP clearly has no understanding of NIL or the interim guidelines at all. Cal merely repeated the NCAA rules.

Sure - he can earn more once leaving UK technically - Obviously but in the short term the best move for him financially was returning to UK for one more year. Oscar's future is overseas and a year making 2 million at UK is a great consolation prize before leaving.

So Freshman shouldn't get NIL deals until they prove their worth to UK? Baylor proved his worth by being the best mid-major player in the country and just because he didn't do it for UK doesn't mean UK can't compensate him for his future value to the program.

Again- if thats what you know your worth is then you aren't going to consider going to a place thats going to pay you less than that. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and saying "listen, Creighton has a $1 million dollar NIL package on the table, what are you offering? Can you top that?"

You're right. John Calipari has never verbatim said that he wanted a market in which teams bid on players. If only there wasn't 20 years of quotes of him advocating for players to have more power and autonomy. His entire career has been built on "doing whats best for the kids" and now that the kids are doing whats best for them he's complaining.
Where did I talk about NIL deals causing issues within the program? Pretty sure I talked about Cal not allowing people to dictate their NIL demands in the recruiting process. I guess that was confusing for you?

Not at all. He could have earned more going pro this year. A vast majority of 2nd rd picks have been signed to 2million dollar plus contracts the last several years. That doesn't account for outside earnings either. Oscar still could have profited from UK fans for years after he left as well. He likely left money on the table by coming back.

Did I say freshman shouldn't get them or that they shouldn't make demands about them? See, you are misinterpreting everything I write. Not sure if that is a comprehension issue on your part or just strawman, but dude, get with it!

UK would compensate him, but Cal isn't going to allow him to make demands as he was. Nor should he.

I think my worth is a million a year as well, but if I go into job interviews demanding such, I likely won't do too well. Do you seriously not understand that? Being good at a mid major doesn't equate to being good at a higher level. If he was that good, why is he at Creighton niw and not a P5 school or someplace with a lot bigger NIL opportunities? Clearly no one else saw this worth either.

Exactly! And doing what's best for the kids isn't just giving into their demands. Is that how you do your kids?

For years, John Calipari has been preaching that good word. He's been standing on his soapbox, thundering down his rhetorical bolts of lightning as he towered over the Big Tent Revival of College Basketball, and telling anyone who would listen about the gospel of "Player's First." With "player's first", Cal favored both payments to players for use of their image and likeness, and publicly supported instant transfers. As Cal put it, if a coach can leave immediately, why can't a player? If a coach can make money off his image and likeness, why can't a player?

But what would happen if the NCAA, that longstanding sinner of all sinners, finally took that step to the altar and said, "yes" to Cal's message? Well, it's happened. That old vile sinner, the NCAA, is now a believer, and the good reverend John Calipari suddenly doesn't know what other type of sermon to preach.

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

What's that, Reverend? You're telling us that you're "not really interested" in players who put their interests ahead of a program? Isn't that what you've been telling us you're all about for years? Isn't that precisely how you were able to land a second year commitment out of your National Player of the Year, with a handsome NIL deal?

To be sure, one of his former sermons went like this: “If you’re about the kids, you’re not making mistakes,” Calipari declared. “If you’re about the organization, the bureaucracy versus the kids, you’re wrong all the time. You are wrong every time...I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.Fair enough, Reverend. We get it. The gospel consists of being about the kids and putting them ahead of the program. I like the sound of that. I'm sure you're consistent with that all the way around and that...wait...what's this...

Before the listener under the Big Tent starts to walk to the altar, the Good Reverend Calipari breaks out into a new sermon, one that seems to contradict his previous sermons: “You come here because of the culture,” Calipari said. “To be developed, the environment, the fans, trying to compete for national titles, having other really good players to play with. That’s why you come here. ‘Coach, how can you develop me? What can you add? What can you do?’ Not, ‘How much is the NIL?" Wait. What's that? It's suddenly about the program? I thought you just said it's about the player.

To this, the logical conclusion of Cal's initial message might be that players should care about the price tag on an NIL deal. Why wouldn't they? If it's "about these kids", and they're trying to "chase their dreams" and "end generational poverty" and all of that, why is it suddenly sinful for them to ask for the absolute value of what they're worth as a player? Wasn't that the basis of what you've preached all of these years, is that the players should put themselves first? Isn't that why Shaedon Sharpe sat out this year, because, as you told us twice, "he made the right decision for him?"

Indeed, the good reverend seems to need to work out some of his gospel message. He's finally converted the sinner, and now he doesn't seem to know what to preach anymore.
Wait, I thought you come to Kentucky to get to the NBA as quick as possible?

You're throwing out an arbitrary term like "earned"; what constitutes "earned"? It's simply somebody else's judgment. And you're conflating two issues' UK had no say so in Oscar's lack of a deal; it was a matter of federal law. It's not UK or Oscar's fault he couldn't profit. THE NPOY had nothing to do with it. If he doesn't win NPOY this coming year is he less deserving of the $2 mil?
Not really. Earned is proven by actions.

If UK had no say in it, how were they able to get it worked out for him? Do I think they had say in the laws/rules? No! But they had avenues they could travel to open up earning opportunities, which they did.

For sure! If he wasn't NPOY, he isn't as marketable, thus worth less. That's just simple economics.

You're all over the place here; you say Oscar deserved his because he was NPOY, but can't communicate how Sharpe was deserving of his, despite not playing. You could use the "overzealous blah, blah , blah" to rationalize any deal.

Where did I say Sharpe was deserving? He got it because overzealous companies chose to give it to him. How much did it end up being anyway?

Not at all. Oscar played here for a year and earned his money. Hell, he played for a year without earning much of anything while watching his teammates make it and he still showed out every game, becoming the NPOY.

Oscar connected with the Fans and this program better than any player we have had in recent memory. He gave countless free autographs, public appearances and speeches. Never asking for anything in return.

He did all of this knowing his family is living in dire conditions in a 3rd world country he desperately want to save them from. His own mother has never even had the privilege of seeing her NPOY son play basketball.

Oscar could have gone pro and gotten paid, maybe gone to another school and gotten paid illegally. Instead, he played his heart out for UK and gave his all to this fanbase, never asking for or expecting more.

If you honestly can't see the differences, I have to wonder if you rode the short bus as a child?
And really, what CAL and the university did, was to work to allow for Oscar to make money off of his NIL despite the fact he was at UK on a student VISA.

In fact, it seems unbelievable to me that Sharpe was allowed to make money off of NIL and Oscar was not. I can't imagine being in Oscar's position. The fact that Oscar can now profit off of his NIL - in some limited capacity - is in part attributed to CAL and the university...and Oscar deserves that.

Now, if Oscar turned and told CAL he wants to be utilized as a three point shooter and primary ballhandler in order to continue playing at UK, then I too say let him walk. This is what I think CAL is objecting to - using the transfer portal to negotiate playing terms and guaranteed NIL money. The system cannot devolve to this...although it seems to already have.

Reactions: JasonSpears
For years, John Calipari has been preaching that good word. He's been standing on his soapbox, thundering down his rhetorical bolts of lightning as he towered over the Big Tent Revival of College Basketball, and telling anyone who would listen about the gospel of "Player's First." With "player's first", Cal favored both payments to players for use of their image and likeness, and publicly supported instant transfers. As Cal put it, if a coach can leave immediately, why can't a player? If a coach can make money off his image and likeness, why can't a player?

But what would happen if the NCAA, that longstanding sinner of all sinners, finally took that step to the altar and said, "yes" to Cal's message? Well, it's happened. That old vile sinner, the NCAA, is now a believer, and the good reverend John Calipari suddenly doesn't know what other type of sermon to preach.

What's that, Reverend? You're telling us that you're "not really interested" in players who put their interests ahead of a program? Isn't that what you've been telling us you're all about for years? Isn't that precisely how you were able to land a second year commitment out of your National Player of the Year, with a handsome NIL deal?

To be sure, one of his former sermons went like this: “If you’re about the kids, you’re not making mistakes,” Calipari declared. “If you’re about the organization, the bureaucracy versus the kids, you’re wrong all the time. You are wrong every time...I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.Fair enough, Reverend. We get it. The gospel consists of being about the kids and putting them ahead of the program. I like the sound of that. I'm sure you're consistent with that all the way around and that...wait...what's this...

Before the listener under the Big Tent starts to walk to the altar, the Good Reverend Calipari breaks out into a new sermon, one that seems to contradict his previous sermons: “You come here because of the culture,” Calipari said. “To be developed, the environment, the fans, trying to compete for national titles, having other really good players to play with. That’s why you come here. ‘Coach, how can you develop me? What can you add? What can you do?’ Not, ‘How much is the NIL?" Wait. What's that? It's suddenly about the program? I thought you just said it's about the player.

To this, the logical conclusion of Cal's initial message might be that players should care about the price tag on an NIL deal. Why wouldn't they? If it's "about these kids", and they're trying to "chase their dreams" and "end generational poverty" and all of that, why is it suddenly sinful for them to ask for the absolute value of what they're worth as a player? Wasn't that the basis of what you've preached all of these years, is that the players should put themselves first? Isn't that why Shaedon Sharpe sat out this year, because, as you told us twice, "he made the right decision for him?"

Indeed, the good reverend seems to need to work out some of his gospel message. He's finally converted the sinner, and now he doesn't seem to know what to preach anymore.
Thanks. A nice short summary of your thoughts.

• Haha
Reactions: LowCountryCat
WAIT........I THOUGHT CAL WAS PLAYERS 1ST?!?!?!? His approach is literally anything but players 1st. He's the last coach I thought wouldn't be balls to the wall on this. Shows he's either lost his edge and fire........or he was full of shite the whole time. Either way it's yet another terrible look for us and another recruiting point against UK.

Thanks. A nice short summary of your thoughts.
I understand someone of your rudimentary intellect would prefer the Cliff Notes version, but in this particular case he decided to make his full thoughts known.

Stick around, I'm sure someone on your side of things will break it down for you eventually. Then you can have that lightbulb moment and join the rest of the class.

Meanwhile, enjoy spinning the propeller on top of your hat!

Not really. Earned is proven by actions.

If UK had no say in it, how were they able to get it worked out for him? Do I think they had say in the laws/rules? No! But they had avenues they could travel to open up earning opportunities, which they did.

For sure! If he wasn't NPOY, he isn't as marketable, thus worth less. That's just simple economics.

Where did I say Sharpe was deserving? He got it because overzealous companies chose to give it to him. How much did it end up being anyway?
Again, arbitrary, as in there are no set guidelines.

If UK had a say so in getting NIL deals set up then that could be a problem. "Some state NIL laws prohibit schools from facilitating NIL deals for their student-athletes. Even in states that don't have such restrictions, any deal in which a coach or other school representative is directly involved is likely to be subject to further scrutiny as a potential violation of current NCAA policy."

Good points ! It is like the old saying " Be careful what you wish for you might just get it ". This is just exactly what Cal did.

Again, arbitrary, as in there are no set guidelines.

If UK had a say so in getting NIL deals set up then that could be a problem. "Some state NIL laws prohibit schools from facilitating NIL deals for their student-athletes. Even in states that don't have such restrictions, any deal in which a coach or other school representative is directly involved is likely to be subject to further scrutiny as a potential violation of current NCAA policy."
What is arbitrary about it? Do you not feel your body of work should dictate your earning potential? Would you be cool with someone who has done and proven less than you earning the same or more at your job?

Not at all. UK is allowed to work with student athletes on NIL, there are just restrictions on how far the involvement can go. We literally created an NIL position on the staff. You might want to actually read up on NIL and learn something about it before you demonstrate a further lack of knowledge.

What is arbitrary about it? Do you not feel your body of work should dictate your earning potential? Would you be cool with someone who has done and proven less than you earning the same or more at your job?

Not at all. UK is allowed to work with student athletes on NIL, there are just restrictions on how far the involvement can go. We literally created an NIL position on the staff. You might want to actually read up on NIL and learn something about it before you demonstrate a further lack of knowledge.
You need to re-read there Sparky. It clearly says "facilitating".

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Sounds like you are the one complaining

Sounds like you are the one complaining
I'm always amazed at the amount of information and context thats being lost in our modern forms of communication - email, texts, message boards. I swear my wife and I think more couples have fights based around misreading the intent of texts than anything else. I say all of this to say that I can't see how anyone reading that would take that as me complaining. Nowhere in my post am I complaining.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT