ADVERTISEMENT

Potential way to Fix NIL

It should be though to keep things fair...not doing so is like Nascar allowing ANY engine and car combo with no rules to compete which means the biggest pockets will always have a bigger advantage. To your other point....faces dont matter..production does...sometimes a roster reset is ok if they are a bunch of guys who on paper averaged ok production but were bad chemistry ...ideally only the better players usually bail for a better deal and having a cap would help...a deep portal well to tap into is great too... anyone outside a Dilly or Reed, who will jump to the NBA fast anyway, is replaceable.
Well, all I can say is I'm glad that works for you. If it continues this way, I will lose interest. Keep in mind I already do not watch any professional sports. I have no interest.

But no, it CANNOT be capped. That is done. It's over. The courts decided it. If the schools want to employ the players, then there could be salary caps. NIL, however, cannot. It isn't equal to your example. NIL is like sponsors slapping their logos on cars. Are there rules in place limited how much a company can pay a driver to sponsor their car?

The NBA and all other professional leagues have contracts. The NCAA would have to pursue something similar. What the courts have said is that the NCAA cannot limit their NIL earnings. Of course, the entire NIL concept is not functioning as intended because schools are offering guaranteed NIL to recruit players.
I guess it could be tried. I just think if they try to make someone sign a 4 year contract the person would just sue saying….. not allowing me to shop myself every year restricts my ability to earn. I think the courts say YES to that argument. Without collective bargaining that would never hold up in court. Just my opinion.

Here's what you do.

1. One transfer, regardless of circumstances.
2. NIL continues.
3. No instant transfers anymore. Make them put thought into their choices. If they transfer, fine, but make them wait a year.
4. They can still earn NIL while in their transfer redshirt year.

This still allows kids to be compensated, but it also allows schools to have some leverage by making kids think long and hard before transferring due to the one-year waiting period.

Reactions: Farsight
Well, all I can say is I'm glad that works for you. If it continues this way, I will lose interest. Keep in mind I already do not watch any professional sports. I have no interest.

But no, it CANNOT be capped. That is done. It's over. The courts decided it. If the schools want to employ the players, then there could be salary caps. NIL, however, cannot. It isn't equal to your example. NIL is like sponsors slapping their logos on cars. Are there rules in place limited how much a company can pay a driver to sponsor their car?
The sponser amounts dont matter with Nascar as each car HAS to be made to a specfic spec regardless ..thats like saying..KY can have unlimited NIL BUT you can only have a Guard who averages 10 points a game or he's illegal lol The ONLY thing they can do to claim any fairness across the sport is to cap total roster NIL ..that way no one team can buy up all the top players every year and if a team already had 3 or 4 top NIL players they couldnt keep stacking. Pandora's box is open now ..have to roll with it.

I guess it could be tried. I just think if they try to make someone sign a 4 year contract the person would just sue saying….. not allowing me to shop myself every year restricts my ability to earn. I think the courts say YES to that argument. Without collective bargaining that would never hold up in court. Just my opinion.
Honestly, I think the NCAA should just say you can transfer once and after that you are ineligible to continue playing collegiate athletics. If someone says that can't do that, then they should say you lose 1 year of collegiate athletics eligibility each time you transfer (but you don't have to sit a year). If the courts rule they can't do either of those things, the only option I see is making them employees and the players form a union for collective bargaining.

The sponser amounts dont matter with Nascar as each car HAS to be made to a specfic spec regardless ..thats like saying..KY can have unlimited NIL BUT you can only have a Guard who averages 10 points a game or he's illegal lol The ONLY thing they can do to claim any fairness across the sport is to cap total roster NIL ..that way no one team can buy up all the top players every year and if a team already had 3 or 4 top NIL players they couldnt keep stacking. Pandora's box is open now ..have to roll with it.
Look, I get it. It's still done. It's over. The courts ruled NIL cannot be limited in any capacity. So you'll need to find another solution because that isn't it. You are talking about limited sponsorship money. That's what NIL is. In this case it absolutely provides a competitive advantage, but it is still money players are earning through "name, image, and likeness" which the courts have ruled cannot be limited in any capacity. That can't be "fixed" so the solution absolutely has to be something else.

Easy fix. If your going to run college sports like the pros and pay players don't be half way!

A player signs a Nil deal he has to sign a co tract he's required to play 2 years min at that school or if he transfers he has to sit a year. If he declares after 1 yesr he's required to pay half Nil back from his pro earnings.

The bidding war would lessen and less players in portal and the ones that are would be upperclassmen.

First transfer just sit a few games... Second transfer sit first semester. Third transfer sit a year. That would leave transfers open but nobody would go a third without a legitimate reason.

Reactions: Farsight
NIL (nor any payment that offers more to top athletes over others) cannot be managed by the universities at all. Title IX would dictate equal amounts for male and female athletes if the schools handle the money in any way. The NCAA realized this when CA passed the first NIL requirement, and they knew they could not fight it. So as the NCAA is an association of colleges overseen by college presidents and ADs they quickly set the only rules to be that universities cannot directly manage NIL money. It isn't that the NCAA has no teeth, it is that they understand the regulations.

Consider the Caitlyn Clark salary controversy this week. Imagine if schools directly paid revenue sharing with salary caps as the NBA and WNBA do and tried to justify paying more to male basketball stars and football QBs than they did to women's bball team members and volleyball stars because the revenue is greater.

As for the Portal, blame COVID for the rule changes to allow undergrad transfers once with no sit out period. And then twice if one is a grad transfer. Those rules came in to effect in 2021. And once in place there was no going back. We are lucky the five year eligibility rule is only temporary or the Danny G 30-year-olds would be around forever.

Last edited:
There is no fixing NIL. you can on the other hand put the 1 year sit out for anyone that isnt a grad transfer back in place. You can allow programs to pay players like employees Even make teams revenue share if they spend over lets say 4 million on basketball . or figure out a way to make there be a collective bargaining agreement for each sport

There is no fixing NIL. you can on the other hand put the 1 year sit out for anyone that isnt a grad transfer back in place. You can allow programs to pay players like employees Even make teams revenue share if they spend over lets say 4 million on basketball . or figure out a way to make there be a collective bargaining agreement for each sport
Why would colleges pay players a salary when they don't pay anything now (except a stipend)? Paying a salary would require them to pay players out of their revenue and players would still be able to get NIL just like the NBA and NFL. NIL money is not revenue it's donor money.

I’m just posting to remind everyone that this whole landscape of playing college athletics is ENTIRELY VOLUNTARY for the players. Believe it or not, players can choose not to participate in college sports, or even go to college, if they feel the free education, housing, food, healthcare, and access to first class facilities and training is an unfair deal.

Yet here we are discussing how they should be able to be paid, without limit, and with no obligation to fulfill any particular tenure at one particular school.

I’m just posting to remind everyone that this whole landscape of playing college athletics is ENTIRELY VOLUNTARY for the players. Believe it or not, players can choose not to participate in college sports, or even go to college, if they feel the free education, housing, food, healthcare, and access to first class facilities and training is an unfair deal.

Yet here we are discussing how they should be able to be paid, without limit, and with no obligation to fulfill any particular tenure at one particular school.
The Donors offering the money to pay these players are offering it ENTIRELY VOLUNTARY. Believe it or not, the boosters can choose not to participate, If they feel that it's too much or an unfair deal then they don't have to offer it. The player is not going to turn it down.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
NIL is settled in court there is no changing it. Transfers are settled in court as of now with a temporary restraining order that says they can't limit them. The NCAA changed the rules to make anytime transfers legal. NCAA board votes this week to make it permanent.
Those two things are not changing for any reason.

The only thing that can change now is make them employees, let them form a union then collectively bargain a salary cap. Convincing the players that have all the power to agree to a salary cap is another issue. There are multiple revenue sharing cases going on as we speak. Then you have to answer does title IX apply which is unclear depending on the lawyer you ask.

It's not simple and there is no simple answer because laws matter.

The Donors offering the money to pay these players are offering it ENTIRELY VOLUNTARY. Believe it or not, the boosters can choose not to participate, If they feel that it's too much or an unfair deal then they don't have to offer it. The player is not going to turn it down.
This is true. And we used to have rules in place that aimed to maintain college sports as amateur athletics. They’re supposed to be student athletes, not paid professionals. But now these rules have either been dissolved, or are entirely unenforced. Lunacy has ensued because we’ve apparently decided it’s “unfair” to have any rules to govern such issues in college athletics.

This is true. And we used to have rules in place that aimed to maintain college sports as amateur athletics. They’re supposed to be student athletes, not paid professionals. But now these rules have either been dissolved, or are entirely unenforced. Lunacy has ensued because we’ve apparently decided it’s “unfair” to have any rules to govern such issues in college athletics.
The courts(law) decided that.

The NCAA can't make rules on NIL. The supreme court ruled 9-0 that NIL could not be limited in any way. It's the law. Rules against it would just lead to a court case you can't possibly win.

The NCAA can't make rules on NIL. The supreme court ruled 9-0 that NIL could not be limited in any way. It's the law. Rules against it would just lead to a court case you can't possibly win.
What makes NIL hard to control is its governed by the states. Each state sets its own rules. UK (state of Kentucky)made a great move by including NIL disclosure into FERPA.

This ship has sailed. PermDaddy is all over it. The NCAA lost across the board. The fallacy of "student-athlete" has been exposed for what it was. The chance to get ahead of this was 60 years ago. Its too late now.

All they can do now, and it won't happen unless the product starts to die because of player movement ..... is the athletic departments will have to recognize players in revenue sports as employees, recognize a union, and collectively bargain a contract. Because of Title IX, that would have to be done either with Congress approval OR those sports would have to disassociate with the schools/Title IX somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT