ADVERTISEMENT

the NBA is unwatchable

This is overplayed and leaves out waaaay too much context.

Gambling is better with basketball than baseball or football. Many of the people watching the NBA are only doing so because of gambling. It’s not because they think the NBA is great. Many of them don’t actually.

The NFL ratings are so high because it’s a 17 game season once per week. It’s easy for anyone to follow and doesn’t take up time.

You cannot find real “popularity” by tv ratings.
Of course you can. When comparing NCAA to NBA. Both are basketball. Which eyes are where? You also can bet on both sports.

Gambling is better with basketball than baseball or football. Many of the people watching the NBA are only doing so because of gambling. It’s not because they think the NBA is great. Many of them don’t actually.

The NFL ratings are so high because it’s a 17 game season once per week. It’s easy for anyone to follow and doesn’t take up time.

Lol did u say gambling is better for basketball than football. That’s a joke.

NBA betting the spread is trash. Fouls at the end and resting players with “injuries” fouls etc etc etc make it harder to bet the spread imo.

also, waaaaay more money is wagered on NFL

Man alive

Without kentucky Fandom, college basketball is literally unwatchable. Refs are horrible ...truly ..and change style every game.. stall ball..no flow.. etc

The speed at which everything in the nba is done is mind boggling. Even a pass at 90% effort is getting stolen. Watching this Jeremy Alvarado kid go undrafted and now being booed at the arena of the best team record wise because he's giving Chris Paul nightmares... is extremely entertaining..

A 2nd year guy hits a game tying 3 in game 5..only to lose bc a 3rd year guy hits a buzzer beater(a few minutes after the best dunk I've ever seen live) is amazing. Down 20 in the 4th? No sweat..

Nba is light-years better than ncaa basketball and the only reason you'd disagree is because you have an aarp membership
^^^

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
Of course you can. When comparing NCAA to NBA. Both are basketball. Which eyes are where? You also can bet on both sports.

As far as that goes, the NCAA tournament is by far the most popular betting in sports. Again, you can’t judge real “popularity” just by how many people are paying attention to that particular game or event. I get it might be the only way to present a case but real genuine popularity - I don’t believe - can be understood by viewership. Gambling prevents the data from presenting an accurate interpretation especially in a day and age when you can gamble from most states online.

Lol did u say gambling is better for basketball than football. That’s a joke.

NBA betting the spread is trash. Fouls at the end and resting players with “injuries” fouls etc etc etc make it harder to bet the spread imo.

also, waaaaay more money is wagered on NFL

More specifically the NCAA tournament is the best betting experience there is. I’ve never once heard that debated. I thought more money was wagered in the NBA finals than the NFL, but I could be wrong on that.

Case in point

Looks like the NBA was actually the most watchable sporting league on earth in 2021. Not far from being double what the NFL managed/

I tried, I really did. You can count on both hands the number of minutes of the NBA I've watched in the last 10-15 yrs. I grew up watching Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley. The game was different than it is now. There is ZERO defense being played, everyone is a 3 pt shooter 😒, 3 to 10 steps is ok with the zebras. It's just not very good basketball.
how about hitting an exciting 3 to put the road team on the lead only for the home team to call a time out and get the ball at half court so they can get an easy layup for the win. i don't get it.

There is a lot of 3's.

But the defense comment is nonsense, especially in the playoffs. This is what ppl don't understand...THESE PLAYERS ARE GOOD. They are playing defense, but the offense is THAT good. That's what happens when it's your job. They make it look easy so ppl think they aren't doing anything. The offense starts as soon as the ball is boarded.

Take 2012 UK...one of the best teams ever. Only one really does anything now. Why aren't the rest if no one is playing defense? Wouldn't that mean doron lamb would average 30? And don't say the well its just bc they're athletic...was terrence Jones not?

If Steph Curry went back to college he would avg 50 against "defense"

Last edited:
Man alive

Without kentucky Fandom, college basketball is literally unwatchable. Refs are horrible ...truly ..and change style every game.. stall ball..no flow.. etc

The speed at which everything in the nba is done is mind boggling. Even a pass at 90% effort is getting stolen. Watching this Jeremy Alvarado kid go undrafted and now being booed at the arena of the best team record wise because he's giving Chris Paul nightmares... is extremely entertaining..

A 2nd year guy hits a game tying 3 in game 5..only to lose bc a 3rd year guy hits a buzzer beater(a few minutes after the best dunk I've ever seen live) is amazing. Down 20 in the 4th? No sweat..

Nba is light-years better than ncaa basketball and the only reason you'd disagree is because you have an aarp membership
I have an AARP membership and agree with everything you said. I have strong emotional attachments to UK and ETSU, and that's pretty much where 100% of my interest in college basketball is now. The college game needs a massive rules and officiating overhaul.

The NBA? It features the best basketball players on the planet doing amazing shit night after night. I root for the Heat because they're local, and having Bam and Herro (as well as Mulder now) makes it really easy. Especially with Pat Riley in charge and they are extremely entertaining to watch. As a whole, I'll watch the entire league though. It's just far superior to the rock fight whistle fest that is now college basketball.

As far as that goes, the NCAA tournament is by far the most popular betting in sports. Again, you can’t judge real “popularity” just by how many people are paying attention to that particular game or event. I get it might be the only way to present a case but real genuine popularity - I don’t believe - can be understood by viewership. Gambling prevents the data from presenting an accurate interpretation especially in a day and age when you can gamble from most states online.
You must think everyone gambles. I think relative to the population it’s a small percentage.

I personally think there is way too much overemphasis on the 3 point shot in the NBA and makes lots of regular season games very boring to watch. JMO

Reactions: Gromcat
It's hard to beat in the playoffs but It drives me insane to watch how many moving picks are set each possession. Like they literally never get set...Just run up and push the defender in the back lol It's crazy the contrast between college and NBA.

The NBA 'might' be watchable without the following:

1) The last minute of a close game...those timeouts are nonsense.
2) LeBron James.....has never been called for a travel....among many other things.

The NBA? It features the best basketball players on the planet doing amazing shit night after night. I root for the Heat because they're local, and having Bam and Herro (as well as Mulder now) makes it really easy. Especially with Pat Riley in charge and they are extremely entertaining to watch. As a whole, I'll watch the entire league though. It's just far superior to the rock fight whistle fest that is now college basketball.
Agree with this. This Heat team is quite fun to watch.

This thread really isn’t aging well in light of how these playoffs have gone. There have been some fantastically entertaining games the last couple weeks …and with the quality of play being light years better than what you see in today’s college basketball.

But, of course, those who think it “unwatchable” don’t know that …because they ain’t watching. They’re forming their opinion based on bias rather than real evidence.

I do agree there’s a clear problem with the regular season NBA, especially with the “load management” crap where stars randomly sit out games. But the playoffs are still good stuff.

Ever talk to anyone who played in the NBA? Ask them if they play defense.

D Anderson, Scott Padgett, Rhondo, and a few others would disagree.

Reactions: catburglar
The NBA no longer plays basketball. They play some manner of the sport fluffed and morphed to resemble basketball that is purely offensive based.

College is the closest thing we have left. Because high schools and AAU teams cater offense based games resembling the NBA, team skills are no longer taugh at that level. College coaches are now faced with teaching these skills from the ground up.

Here's the remaining Kentucky college players in the playoffs:

Dallas (Brandon Knight) leads Utah (Donovan Mitchell, Louisville) 3-2. Game 6 is tonight.

Phoenix (Devin Booker and Cameron Payne, Murray State) leads New Orleans 3-2. Game 6 is tonight.

Philadelphia (Tyrese Maxey and Charles Bassey, WKU) leads Toronto (David Johnson, Louisville) 3-2. Game 6 is tonight. The winner will play Miami (Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro, Mychal Mulder).

Memphis (Ja Morant, Murray State) leads Minnesota (Karl-Anthony Towns, Jarred Vanderbilt) 3-2. Game 6 is tomorrow. The winner will play Golden State (Damien Lee, Louisville).

Milwaukee (Jordan Nwora, Louisville) will play Boston on May 1.

I started watching NBA a couple of years ago during COVID when they were all locked down in the Orlando bubble. (I had nothing better to do; there were no sports being played except that, so I decided to give it a try.) I was blown away by their talent, and there was PLENTY of defense that year. Now, having heard the players talk about it, that was a very special "season" because they didn't have the grind of travel, they developed deep connections with other players because they were together constantly, they were in the best shape of their lives due to controlled diet and conditioning... it was probably an artificial NBA experience and I am so glad I watched it. Because of that year, and because Herro and Adebayo took it down to the wire, I must say I follow the Miami Heat now.

I have an AARP membership and agree with everything you said. I have strong emotional attachments to UK and ETSU, and that's pretty much where 100% of my interest in college basketball is now. The college game needs a massive rules and officiating overhaul.

Haha.. didn't mean if you had one you couldn't appreciate the league.. just saying most that don't are ..well yeah.

Great games last night. Ja vs edwards tonight and I think that's the one series to go 7. Going to be fun

Reactions: JDHoss
I started watching NBA a couple of years ago during COVID when they were all locked down in the Orlando bubble. (I had nothing better to do; there were no sports being played except that, so I decided to give it a try.) I was blown away by their talent, and there was PLENTY of defense that year. Now, having heard the players talk about it, that was a very special "season" because they didn't have the grind of travel, they developed deep connections with other players because they were together constantly, they were in the best shape of their lives due to controlled diet and conditioning... it was probably an artificial NBA experience and I am so glad I watched it. Because of that year, and because Herro and Adebayo took it down to the wire, I must say I follow the Miami Heat now.
Bubble playoffs were fun as hell

Reactions: JDHoss
I disagree. I really like the NBA and the fact that every possession isn't interrupted by a whistle. As far as defense, they play better defense than in college, they are just guarding the best players in the world. Who can guard Steph Curry, Durant or the Greek Freak? They have allowed more steps, but once you understand it you can deal with it. Everyone is a 3 point shooter, I agree with that. Teams have learned that having big guys that can leave the paint maximizes scoring opportunities. I personally enjoy the hell out of the NBA, but it is definitely a different game than college basketball. My father used to tell me that the only pure form of basketball to watch anymore is women's college basketball. If that is the game you like, heavy on fundamentals and size vs. size, maybe you should try watching that. I enjoy it as well.
I think you have kind of hit on why I dislike the NBA game. Not that college basketball hasn't declined as well. These are the best, most athletic, players in the world and yet the rules have evolved over the years to limit the defensive strategy a coach can employ to stop them. They also have modified, whether by rule or by practice, the definition of walking so that offensive players get more than the traditional 1 1/2 steps (meaning once the pivot foot leaves the floor it cannot hit the ground again before the ball leaves the players hands). Calling a time out moves the ball to half court. Why does the game need to advantage offensive players who already are extremely difficult to guard because they are the best, most athletic players in the world? It's become way too one dimensional and predictable for my tastes. I just think the games become nothing more than a showcase for individual athletes.

I think you have kind of hit on why I dislike the NBA game. Not that college basketball hasn't declined as well. These are the best, most athletic, players in the world and yet the rules have evolved over the years to limit the defensive strategy a coach can employ to stop them. They also have modified, whether by rule or by practice, the definition of walking so that offensive players get more than the traditional 1 1/2 steps (meaning once the pivot foot leaves the floor it cannot hit the ground again before the ball leaves the players hands). Calling a time out moves the ball to half court. Why does the game need to advantage offensive players who already are extremely difficult to guard because they are the best, most athletic players in the world? It's become way too one dimensional and predictable for my tastes. I just think the games become nothing more than a showcase for individual athletes.
I appreciate a very fair response. Every sport that people watch on TV has been modified to help the offense, because that it what people want to see. Other than my Pops (RIP), no one wants to watch a game with nothing but great defense. There are guys in the NBA making 10-15 million a year just to play defense. If you follow it, you will see that it isn't what all the rumor or cliche's say it is.

Reactions: catburglar
I disagree. I really like the NBA and the fact that every possession isn't interrupted by a whistle. As far as defense, they play better defense than in college, they are just guarding the best players in the world. Who can guard Steph Curry, Durant or the Greek Freak? They have allowed more steps, but once you understand it you can deal with it. Everyone is a 3 point shooter, I agree with that. Teams have learned that having big guys that can leave the paint maximizes scoring opportunities. I personally enjoy the hell out of the NBA, but it is definitely a different game than college basketball. My father used to tell me that the only pure form of basketball to watch anymore is women's college basketball. If that is the game you like, heavy on fundamentals and size vs. size, maybe you should try watching that. I enjoy it as well.
Ask Boston, they shut down Durant pretty damn good.

Reactions: Nbacats
Have any of these coaches challenges resulted in the call being reversed? I’ve seen about 5 challenges in the playoffs and not a single one overturned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT