ADVERTISEMENT

Would describing Reed Sheppard as a poor mans Larry Bird be accurate ?

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
I mean, the BB IQ, the court vision, he makes everybody around him better. Being a great defender by not being super quick but his anticipation and quick hands.
Great shooter. Bird though taller is the NBA player that comes to mind to me. Great passer.
And comparing anybody to Bird is about as high a compliment as I can pay anybody.

Not even close at this point. You're talking about one of the best basketball players ever. He took Indiana State all the way to the title game basically on his own. Reed is great, I like his game a lot. But he's probably not even the best player on the team.

Not even close at this point. You're talking about one of the best basketball players ever. He took Indiana State all the way to the title game basically on his own. Reed is great, I like his game a lot. But he's probably not even the best player on the team.
Style of play ? I am not in any way saying he is as good as Bird was

I agree bird not a good comparison but Reed is definitely the best player on this team. I’m not saying that to say he is the best pro prospect either, but he is the one player this team could not afford to lose.

In Uncle Adolphs defense Ill bite and agree in that Reed, like Larry, seems to be playing chess on the court while all the other guys are playing checkers.

Reed does it all ala Larry; a stat sheet stuffer who makes everyone else around him better.

The fact that, as a Freshman, he broke the U of L series assist record for a Wildcat with 11 while scoring 11 points, continuing his streak of at least 2 steals in a game and turning it over only twice leads me to believe the OPs comparison is spot on.

Plus French Lick and London are very close to one another (223 miles).

Great, great comparison.

See you guys in the Final Four.

Sheppard is our best PG and Ky’s best all around player-the stats speak to this.

No. But it would be accurate to say they are both white.
Which, of course, is the main similarity that caused that comparison to come to the OP’s mind.

Some folks need to step away and take a breath on the Reed Shepard stuff. Bird had arguably the greatest all around season in college basketball history when he carried little ISU on his back to an undefeated season and to the national championship game.

I love Shep’s game, but nobody should yet even be thinking about comparing him to all-time greats on that level.

Sorry, no. But, kids compared me to Larry Bird while playing in my 20/30's if I happened to hit a couple outside shots. I look similar, but a foot shorter.

I mean, the BB IQ, the court vision, he makes everybody around him better. Being a great defender by not being super quick but his anticipation and quick hands.
Great shooter. Bird though taller is the NBA player that comes to mind to me. Great passer.
And comparing anybody to Bird is about as high a compliment as I can pay anybody.
Not quite, but then again Bird is a one of a kind player. Nobody has resembled him really. Maybe LeBron as he is a similar height, ball handler, passer, and not quite the shooter but obviously way more athletic. Reed is just Reed, a really good player. Let’s see how great he can become but players the caliber of Bird and Magic won’t come along often.

Saying Reed is not the best all around player on the team would probably bring a spirited debate.
I don’t know if he will be the best NBA player but there is nobody on the team that is as good overall as him. There are a couple maybe with more natural talent but he’s gonna be damn good. Much like Herro I see Reed being a very good NBA player coveted by many teams in the future. Tyler isn’t near the passer Reed is though.

Larry was 6’9 and one of the best players. My answer is no.

Reactions: westerncat
How ‘bout Anthony Epps? They play the same position and are of different races to satisfy the ones who always complain about white kids always being compared to white kids.
Really not a bad comparison...Reed's a better shooter, Anthony was a better on-ball defender; both heady and have great court awareness

Reactions: Fox2monk
No.

Poor man’s Jeff Shepard right now 😂

Respectfully ... I would reject the phrase "poor man's Larry Bird." I would whole heartedly agree with the phrase "a smaller version of Larry Bird."
I agree that Reed has all of the attributes that you described: BB IQ is off the charts; great court vision; makes everybody around him better; a great defender by super anticipation and quick hands; great shooter; great passer. What else can you ask of a basketball player without making taller or faster ?
GO REED ! GO 'CATS !

Luka Doncic is about the closest thing to Bird I've seen since Bird. Reed has that same mental game, though his size will prevent him from doing the damage inside like those guys did/do. His court vision and awareness are outstanding. He seems to be a step ahead mentally than everyone else on the court, whether that be us or the opponent. LOVE his game.

Try Kyle Macy or John Paxon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT