ADVERTISEMENT

Would describing Reed Sheppard as a poor mans Larry Bird be accurate ?

In the way that they play the game like they are playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers, yes that’s the similarity. Are their games similar? No, not really.

No. Bird was much taller, a very good rebounder. Could and did post up, while a good passer nobody would describe him as a PG. Bird was not unathletic, but Sheppard is more athletic.

Even though still taller and a different position, I’d say Grant Hill before Bird.

I love Reed’s game and would take a player like him every year.

He’s not even in Larry Bird’s universe at this point. You talking about Larry “freaking” Bird. He’s in everyone’s top 10 all time and often in Top 5. If his back/health had held up, who knows where he would land. Dude was a monster!

Bird went head to head with Magic, Dr J, Dominique and many others who Shep would have no chance against at his size. Bird was 6’8, 6’9 range. YouTube Nolan Richardsons hall of fame speech. I never was a big Nolan fan, but that was a great speech and guys like him admit how good bird was

No. Bird was much taller, a very good rebounder. Could and did post up, while a good passer nobody would describe him as a PG. Bird was not unathletic, but Sheppard is more athletic.

Even though still taller and a different position, I’d say Grant Hill before Bird.
Bird was much more than a "good" passer. He was an elite passer. Regularly led his team in assists with an uncanny ability to not only know where every other player on the floor was, but also where they were going to be, and found ways to deliver the pass accordingly.

Seriously Reed plays very methodical like shai. The game comes to him and that is my best comp from the first time I watched him play. That’s how i knew he would be so good from the jump. He plays like shai but can nail the threes day one. His vision, pace like I say the game comes to him. Very cerebral like shai. He’s shorter of course but has the athleticism. Offensively he plays like SGA when the ball is in his hands

I don’t believe they’ll ever be another Larry Bird. He was just unreal at his size with the pure talent he had, it’s his fire that will be hard to be matched. Now I could see Reed becoming a Bogdan Bogdanovic type of player if he continues to improve like he has. In my opinion that would make him a great player with a chance to make a couple All star teams while being a player you could win a championship with. That’s a really good comparison in my personal opinion of course but I can see a lot of similarities in the two. I’d love to say Herro or Booker but they’re just on another level because of their length and size. Still, he has a chance to be one of the top 50 or so NBA players year in and out if he decides to put the work in. I’m just glad he’s making the most of his time here and glad he’s with the guys on our team this season, a great fit for everyone. I will add , i do believe he’s going to have a long career in the league and become a very important part of a franchise one day, hopefully a couple years away. Ha. Thanks.

I mean, the BB IQ, the court vision, he makes everybody around him better. Being a great defender by not being super quick but his anticipation and quick hands.
Great shooter. Bird though taller is the NBA player that comes to mind to me. Great passer.
And comparing anybody to Bird is about as high a compliment as I can pay anybody.
Only on the fact that they're bothh white. LB was ONE of the GOAT. Reed is fun to watch and will make his own path, but comparing him to Larry is unfair.

I mean, the BB IQ, the court vision, he makes everybody around him better. Being a great defender by not being super quick but his anticipation and quick hands.
Great shooter. Bird though taller is the NBA player that comes to mind to me. Great passer.
And comparing anybody to Bird is about as high a compliment as I can pay anybody.
JFC Larry Bird was 6'8" and a forward.

Compare Shep to John Stockton or Mark Price.

Others have commented on the Bird question. Right now Reed reminds me of a bigger and more athletic version of Travis Ford. I’ve never watched Reed and thought “Larry”, but I have watched him and thought he brings Travis’ game but to a higher level due to more size, speed, and strength. Travis was smart, could shoot and pass well—all things in Reed’s bag of tricks. Reed’s size and athleticism puts his defensive skills at a much higher level than what Travis was able to do.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Comparisons almost always fail in some way, and you'll never get everyone to agree. My thought would be like a John Stockton type of player, at least from my era. Both point guards. Similar size. Both great ball handling and distributing. Both are great defenders for their size. Great understanding of the game. I think Sheppard has more explosiveness, though- a better vertical. Not sure if Stockton could dunk. He probably could but not as easily as Reed.

Reactions: JASUN74
Which, of course, is the main similarity that caused that comparison to come to the OP’s mind.

Some folks need to step away and take a breath on the Reed Shepard stuff. Bird had arguably the greatest all around season in college basketball history when he carried little ISU on his back to an undefeated season and to the national championship game.

I love Shep’s game, but nobody should yet even be thinking about comparing him to all-time greats on that level.

This. They don't place the same position. They both are white. That's about where it starts and ends.

Comparisons almost always fail in some way, and you'll never get everyone to agree. My thought would be like a John Stockton type of player, at least from my era. Both point guards. Similar size. Both great ball handling and distributing. Both are great defenders for their size. Great understanding of the game. I think Sheppard has more explosiveness, though- a better vertical. Not sure if Stockton could dunk. He probably could but not as easily as Reed.
I see where you'd make that comparison, for a minute I had a similar thought to try to compare him to someone way out of his league. And we all love Reed.

But it's really hard to compare him to the greatest passer and ballhawk to ever play the game.

Absolutely a better comparison than Bird, though.

At the end of the day he's probably a 3&D guard at the next level. First guy I thought of is JJ Reddick. I saw somewhere else Kirk Hinrich?

Reactions: IL Wildcat
In Uncle Adolphs defense Ill bite and agree in that Reed, like Larry, seems to be playing chess on the court while all the other guys are playing checkers.

Reed does it all ala Larry; a stat sheet stuffer who makes everyone else around him better.

The fact that, as a Freshman, he broke the U of L series assist record for a Wildcat with 11 while scoring 11 points, continuing his streak of at least 2 steals in a game and turning it over only twice leads me to believe the OPs comparison is spot on.

Plus French Lick and London are very close to one another (223 miles).

Great, great comparison.

See you guys in the Final Four.

Sheppard is our best PG and Ky’s best all around player-the stats speak to this.

The fact that KWilt agrees says it all.

Dumb du dumb dumb duuuuuuuuuumb.

For my tastes, I'd say I like the John Stockton comparison. Great BB IQ, handles, passes, shoots very well, that's my take.

Personally, I think it's best to just take Reed as he comes, with no comparisons. He plays really smart, all areas of the game are strengths, no weaknesses. Really love the young man's game, no doubt about it.

So happy he is at Kentucky !

God Bless him and his family.

GBB!

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I think I like a more athletic Kyle Macy best which leads into better defense (steals/blocks). Macy came in as a sophomore and was a leader and in control on the court same as Shep. I wish there was a 3-point shot during his time so we could compare a little better.

There have been plenty of 6'2" guards who played like Bird but, as others have pointed out, Bird was 6'9".

I don't think you say "a poor man's..." when the person you're comparing the poor man to is a hall of famer. Bird is one of the best players of all time.

As far as play style--I mean they both shoot well from 3. But Reeves shoots 3's well too. Reeves is 6'6 compared to Reed's 6'2 or 6'3.

I just don't watch Reed and think of Bird.

I also might point out that Bird technically played center in college. At least that was his official starting position (although, in reality, there were times when he basically played all five spots for ISU).

I do believe this is the first time I’ve seen someone choose a college center as the comparative for a college guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT