ADVERTISEMENT

The Guitar Thread

I do not play professionally, only in my home and friends' homes

Schecter Diamond Series Blackjack straight thru a Blackstar HT1 with a Groove Tubes 12AX7 in the pre-amp side and an Electro-Harmonix Gold Pin 12BH7 in place of the ECC82 on the power side just for something different.
Schecter%20Blackjack%208_zpstnnn8u6y.jpg

Schecter%20Blackjack%204_zpshsdz46y2.jpg

I have a Boss Loop station and crappy little Behringer blues emulator pedal but I rarely use them. I found that having a bunch of pedals kept me fiddling with the sound more than just playing.

The HT1 will do just about everything I want it to on its own. Used to use a Vox AC4TV with a single 12AX7 that was actually louder (4watts), but I like the tone of the Blackstar better as it's more versatile (cleaner at higher volume) b/c it uses a pre-amp and power tube design instead of just overdriving the single pre-amp tube like the Vox did.

Last edited:
that might be the nicest looking Schecter I've ever seen
how does it play? what does it sound like? what kind of pickups? - they look like DiMarzios?

that might be the nicest looking Schecter I've ever seen
how does it play? what does it sound like? what kind of pickups? - they look like DiMarzios?

Thanks. It plays really well. It's not a delicate, dainty feel like a Strat, it feels more like a workman's tool. It's built to be beat on for rhythm, I wouldn't want it for a lead guitar. It has jumbo frets and a thicker, D-shaped neck which makes it super solid and easy to fret. It sounds like it looks. It has a darker tone, not bright at all... like the total opposite tone of a Telecaster. It doesn't want to make pretty, clean chords, although it can- it really wants to roar and crunch. Seymour Duncan p/us. They came in it. I've never done any work to this guitar.

I usually grind out AC/DC- Black Keys- Jack White kind of stuff when I mess with it, so it's great for my needs.

Gibson 335 '59 Historic
Gibson '54 Les Paul Historic
Gibson '57 Les Paul Custom Historic
Gibson '58 Les Paul Historic
Custom made SG
Custom made '59 Flying V reissue
Custom made Waterslide Gretsch
Kauer Banshee
Warmoth Tele
Warmoth Strat
Gibson Hummingbird

into either a Mesa Bogie Mark IV, custom made Fender Deluxe reverb clone, custom made Marshall JTM 45 clone, or a Reeves Custom 30.

I have played in bands since '87 which is how I justify my gear acquisition sickness lol

Don't even ask about the pedal board

so -- about the pedal board -- you're into boutique pedals I take it?

again, I'm a straight into the amp kind of guy (although I've had phases back and forth going back to the 80's when i started playing as well)

Did you have someone assemble the Warmoth's or did you do them yourself?
They do seem to make pretty good parts from what I've seen over the years --

I have a Gibson Blueshawk that's frustrating as all get out
It's my #3 guitar for sure -- the Strat and Les Paul are the co-first stringers depending on what's needed I guess ----

but the Blueshawk has moments where the tone and feel are outstanding -- and unique
P90's give it a different sound than the other 2 of course

but mechanically it has problems - strings rubbing against pickups that always pop up too high
scratched up fretboad and bent tuning pegs where I got too physical with it in previous bands in CA etc…….

it's like Alex Poythress …..you KNOW he's capable of great things -- even stealing the spotlight --- but there are times where --- the fit / the mood / the SOMETHING just isn't right and you have to tout it back on the shelf

OK -- the guitar is definitely a 3rd strong guitar at this point
So Alex is doing much better than that I guess :pray:

My main pedal board is (from entrance to exit):

Teese wah
Analog Man compressor (Juicer)
Captain Coconut- Octaver, Fuzz, Uni Vibe all in 1 box (basically Hendrix in a box)
MXR flanger
MXR Carbon Copy delay
Mooer tremolo
BK Butler Real Tube
Bad Bob booster
Analog Man Beano Treble Booster

My praise band pedal board:

Wah (I forget the brand)
Mesa Vtwin
EH Memory Boy delay

The Warmoth guitars:

I just bot the parts off Ebay and put them together myself, including paint (they look good from 3 feet away but they're not perfect by any means). Its not as hard as you might think. My Homemade Tele smokes the Fender Teles I used to own so I sold them.

I had them set up professionally (Eddie Van Halen's guitar tech lives 5 minutes from me). I'll take a cheap guitar set up properly over an expensive guitar with a poor set up any day.

Reactions: argubs2
Gibson 335 '59 Historic
Gibson '54 Les Paul Historic
Gibson '57 Les Paul Custom Historic
Gibson '58 Les Paul Historic
Custom made SG
Custom made '59 Flying V reissue
Custom made Waterslide Gretsch
Kauer Banshee
Warmoth Tele
Warmoth Strat
Gibson Hummingbird

into either a Mesa Bogie Mark IV, custom made Fender Deluxe reverb clone, custom made Marshall JTM 45 clone, or a Reeves Custom 30.

I have played in bands since '87 which is how I justify my gear acquisition sickness lol

Don't even ask about the pedal board

I was gonna gloat about my "QVC Estaban special" but this skeert me....Lotta nice strings there my friend.

Reactions: argubs2
@P19978 You need to start a quick and easy photobucket account and load pictures from there.

What are the specs on that 59' V? Is it the natural Korina finish or a solid color?

Korina- light as a feather.

It looks exactly like this except for the headstock (it has the builders logo- Westfall) and my input plate is black.

He knows someone in Cleveland who owns a '59 V so he spec'd it off that one.

f58bkf.jpg

No joke. Just a filthy collection of gear that virtually anyone would envy.
Not that you guys really would care to hear my life story (lol) but...

Graduated from UK in '86 and have always had a good job (working at the same company now for 29 years) so I'm old but dont have a bunch of expensive hobbies (no country clubs, not a heavy drinker or drugger, never divorced) other than playing music.

I'm not rich but I found that if you prioritize you can own some nice gear.

I justify it to my wife (and myself) by continuing to play in bands; usually 2-3 gigs per month. I make about $100 per gig.

My gear definitely exceeds my talent but its all about having fun.

Had to dig this thread up to see if any of you guys could help me identity this old thing I found hidden away at my grandparent's house. The only labeling on it is the letter "H" and "Japan" on the metal plate where the neck bolts on. Hard to see because they've been colored on with permanent marker but it has 2 of those white Teisco style pickup switches. I'm looking to replace some of the hardware and hopefully fit some different pickups into this thing and get it playing.

Edit: For some strange reason I can't get pictures to post on here.

The only labeling on it is the letter "H" and "Japan" on the metal plate where the neck bolts on. Hard to see because they've been colored on with permanent marker but it has 2 of those white Teisco style pickup switches.

Not much to go by . . . concentrating on the "H" . . . Hagstrom and Harmony are a couple of brands that I know have produced electric models with similar switch gear. Hagstrom produced nice guitars and for a time in Japan, although I think they gave up on that almost as soon as they started so I doubt you have one. Although Hagstrom did produce many guitars without branding the headstock, which I assume is the condition of your guitar. Hofner is another brand that used such switch gear, but I would expect to see their name on the headstock. Probably a Harmony - lot's of low end beginner models that ended up in attics.

Not much to go by . . . concentrating on the "H" . . . Hagstrom and Harmony are a couple of brands that I know have produced electric models with similar switch gear. Hagstrom produced nice guitars and for a time in Japan, although I think they gave up on that almost as soon as they started so I doubt you have one. Although Hagstrom did produce many guitars without branding the headstock, which I assume is the condition of your guitar. Hofner is another brand that used such switch gear, but I would expect to see their name on the headstock. Probably a Harmony - lot's of low end beginner models that ended up in attics.

Thanks for the reply and info. I was also thinking that it may be a Harmony but I've yet to find anything like it after extensive Googling. Finally figured out how to post a picture.

Last edited:
So I posted a picture over at Ultimate Guitar and a guy on there told me what I have. It is a 1965 Audition Zenon. Turns out it's a favorite of Elvis Costello and Ry Cooder is a huge fan of the "gold foil" pickups this guitar has. Pretty neat. I think I will try to fix it up as close to original as possible.

It is a 1965 Audition Zenon. . . Pretty neat. I think I will try to fix it up as close to original as possible.

Interesting. Thanks for closing the loop on your find. I was holding a tiny hope for a Hallmark guitar. Hallmarks commonly included an H on the mounting plate (neck to body), with the H surrounded by a thin wreath. However, I had never seen a Hallmark with the switch gear you described so that would had to have been a modification. No matter at this point. Not sure what the H is then.

I don't know much about Costello, but I know a few things about Ry Cooder music. I won't directly say that the person gave you bad information, but I will say that the guitar you've pictured could possibly be mistaken for a Guyatone model that Ry Cooder has used. Cooder's used another Guyatone model or two with a bunch of switches above the pickups (lot more than two) but the overall look of those guitars is different. If I have some time later I'll see if I can look some stuff up. Straight-up California / west coast kid played with Bill Monroe.

I won't directly say that the person gave you bad information, but I will say that the guitar you've pictured could possibly be mistaken for a Guyatone model that Ry Cooder has used. Cooder's used another Guyatone model or two with a bunch of switches above the pickups (lot more than two) but the overall look of those guitars is different. .

Yeah I don't think Cooder played this specific model, I think the guy was just talking about those particular pickups were what he used. I really hope I can find some hardware (bridge parts and tuning keys mostly) and get all the electronics working. Here is a video of a guy playing one. Has some pretty wicked tone.

very sweet! and that looks like an awesome circa '60 Castlefidardo hanging on the wall (left frame). Italian made. Not something you see just any old day of the week. Suffice to say, you found one example of your guitar hanging out with some very, very cool company.

Not that you guys really would care to hear my life story (lol) but...

Graduated from UK in '86 and have always had a good job (working at the same company now for 29 years) so I'm old but dont have a bunch of expensive hobbies (no country clubs, not a heavy drinker or drugger, never divorced) other than playing music.

I'm not rich but I found that if you prioritize you can own some nice gear.

I justify it to my wife (and myself) by continuing to play in bands; usually 2-3 gigs per month. I make about $100 per gig.

My gear definitely exceeds my talent but its all about having fun.

At least you invested in instruments. I went the PA route for awhile. Made good money but it it is really expensive and does NOT hold its value.

My brother is a big prs fan, has a 25th anniversary 513, and a 25th custom shop, I think is what the other one is. But he also loves his Eric Johnson strat! The blue one that Eric has.

At least you invested in instruments. I went the PA route for awhile. Made good money but it it is really expensive and does NOT hold its value.

Amen to that: I would LOVE to have all the money back that I've spent on PA and lights.

I just spent over 4 large on a new digital QSC Touchmix and JBL speakers.

I will say that the new digital mixers are amazing; they have 6 aux outs so each band member gets his own mix in his monitor, customized with effects, pitch correction, etc

Amen to that: I would LOVE to have all the money back that I've spent on PA and lights.

I just spent over 4 large on a new digital QSC Touchmix and JBL speakers.

I will say that the new digital mixers are amazing; they have 6 aux outs so each band member gets his own mix in his monitor, customized with effects, pitch correction, etc

I love the digital stuff. But it killed the resale on my good analog equipment.

I actually talked to Loud and Clear out of Cincy about working full time for them as an Engineer, System Tech, Electronics Tech and Instructor. But I was / am toooo damn old to go on a tour with Heavy Metal, Rap, etc.....

Eventually got completely out of it. I keep up with trends and such but do not miss the bar scene.

I've started tinkering and building cigar box guitars... Here's the first one I finished, I have 3 or 4 more in the works. My wood skills need to catch up with my ideas..

782.jpg

Since I'm getting ready to gig again tomorrow (after a 6 month layoff and band re-organization) I thought I'd post tomorrow's axe of choice:

thumb

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT