ADVERTISEMENT

The Guitar Thread

Was never big into prog rock but the guy is a great composer / songwriter.

@Kooky Kats - Not yet. I live for small, intimate venues like that....not even taking the insane history of that place into account. Bucket list, fosho.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Was never big into prog rock but the guy is a great composer / songwriter.

@Kooky Kats - Not yet. I live for small, intimate venues like that....not even taking the insane history of that place into account. Bucket list, fosho.

Early on in his solo career and especially with Porcupine Tree, Steve was the sole guitar player. Over time, with more financial power, he was able to hire far better guitar players then himself to play his music. Plus, he now writes music he admits he is not good enough to play himself. His whole band are some of the best in the world at their respective instruments. This may be the prog dork in me but that Regret #9 gets me every time I hear it. Powerful.

Currently working on my own version of the Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein guitar. Just finished the step where you have the white with black stripes

N.A.D...

Just delivered, Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe. Haven't owned an H&K amp since the DuoTone years ago. Hoping this thing can be my new "go to" gigging amp due to its portability, features, onboard effects, etc. At least, that's the thinking I used to justify the purchase. I may have just been gassing for a new amp. Oh, and it lights up blue. [thumb2]

GM40Deluxe_zpsv6mup1uv.jpg

Went to the Cincinnati Guitar Show yesterday:

http://cincyguitarshow.com

I have to say I was really disappointed. Especially with a price tag of $8. Took about 20 minutes to see everything.

One vendor had good prices on a couple of new Carr amps. Other that that, not so much.

Heck, i can spend more time at Guitar Center for free.

Looks like NAMM is now on the bucket list.

Update: Took the Grandmeister out for its first live gig this past Saturday at Gerstle's here in Louisville. Great crowd, killer gig, and the amp did really well.

Looking forward to getting even more familiar with the amp, feel like I've just scratched the surface with it. Left the pedal board at home and only used a couple of the on board effects, so load in & out was quick and easy.

18556242_1032952610170851_5232308281785063833_n.jpg

18582046_1032953143504131_2156075748092967686_n.jpg

More pics here if interested... www.facebook.com/mypetoctopus/

That's dope. Remind me again what type of stuff you all play Los Gatos?

Really a bit of everything. We add new songs and mix them up quite a bit. Biggest emphasis on the 80's and 90's stuff...J.Geils, Duran Duran, Billy Squier, INXS, Mellencamp, Tom Petty, R.E.M., etc. We'll throw in some heavier stuff and even a bit of rocked up country should the situation arise.

Reverb.com is running a contest to win a '64 PRE-CBS FENDER STRATOCASTER.

They want the contestants to post on social media about which gear from their site is your dream gear. What would you choose? There is so much on there I want that it is difficult for me to decide.

Reactions: argubs2
Dunno if this has been posted, but the first track (Mediterranean Sundance) is muy en llamas...

Reactions: argubs2
7955acf6bf35930de39142af2c6882c4--music-heart-nancy-wilson.jpg

Nancy Wilson. Forty years ago, she could make every guy on one side of the arena jump out of their seats with a simple gesture. Seems like she never plays the same guitar twice.

Reactions: jameslee32
Bumping as it was 4 years to this day that this thread was started and I want to see which links in here are still working.

I've been thinking about getting a Telecaster with my stimulus money + all my concert refunds that got knocked out this summer. Anyone have or played a MIM Tele? I'm torn on how much I want to spend. I don't play near as much as I used to and I've heard the pickups in the Mexican teles are about the only real difference from the American ones. I look on Craiglists and Reverb occasionally when I'm bored but haven't found anything yet. I'd love to find a Tokai or Fender Japanese Tele for a reasonable price.

I'd always wanted a high-end acoustic and broke down and bought a used Martin HD28 last year. Then, for whatever reason, decided I wanted to have at least one smaller-body guitar and traded it straight up for a Martin CEO-7. It's a phenomenal guitar and beautiful, but in hindsight I wish I would've gotten a used one that's already been nicked up a little. I'm babying this thing so much. It's pretty pathetic.

Reactions: P19978
I've been thinking about getting a Telecaster with my stimulus money + all my concert refunds that got knocked out this summer. Anyone have or played a MIM Tele? I'm torn on how much I want to spend. I don't play near as much as I used to and I've heard the pickups in the Mexican teles are about the only real difference from the American ones. I look on Craiglists and Reverb occasionally when I'm bored but haven't found anything yet. I'd love to find a Tokai or Fender Japanese Tele for a reasonable price.

I'd always wanted a high-end acoustic and broke down and bought a used Martin HD28 last year. Then, for whatever reason, decided I wanted to have at least one smaller-body guitar and traded it straight up for a Martin CEO-7. It's a phenomenal guitar and beautiful, but in hindsight I wish I would've gotten a used one that's already been nicked up a little. I'm babying this thing so much. It's pretty pathetic.
MIM can be real solid, giggable guitars. I like the TexMex pups found in many of them... you could do ALOT worse.

Another option: if youre handy with paint and electronics (mainly a solder gun), you can build a Custom Shop quality Tele for about $7-800.

Im currently building my second Tele: my first one turned out so well that my son "borrowed" it and uses it in his UK Jazz Band concerts.

Reactions: rudd1
Did some tinkering yesterday with 3 guitars.

My SG is now sporting a Tony Iommi pickup (Gibson version) in the bridge, and a Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck. Both pickups are hooked up to Duncan triple shots, which gives me the follow options for each pickup:

* Both coils in series (typical humbucker)
* Both coils in parallel, like the 2 & 4 positions on a Stray
* North coil only
* South coil only

I also rewired my Epiphone Slash AFD special. It's a cheap guitar, m9ade made really well other than the shitty electronics. And it's beautiful, amber finish with a nice flame maple top. Anyway I went with cheaper import pickups for this guy, a Dragonfire Gates in the bridge and GFS VEH in the neck. Both are also wired to triple shots. I also replaced the nut with a Tusq nut, which is like synthetic ivory. Now the high E is buzzing. I can't find my needle files so I haven't fixed that yet, but it will only take a few minutes.

I also (mostly) stripped the finish on my hamer Echotone, which is like a 335. It had a polyurethane finish which you can scrape off with a heat gun and putty knife. I still need to sand it, as there are some small gouge marks from scraping and some little pockets of red from the finish. It's much easier to scrape a flat guitar than an archtop (obiously)... It's made of nice maple, so instead of a typical guitar finish I'm going to put a bunch of coats of Tru Oil (a product for guns) on it so it can breathe. This has been my #1 for 20 years. I've had Harmonic Design Z90s in it for most of that time, and holy **** balls, it sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to getting it going again.

I just sold the 490 pickups from my SG and ordered a bare bones Epiphone 339 Ultra from reverb. It's like a Les Paul sized 335. It comes with Grover tuners and most of the wiring, but no bridge, tailpiece or pickups. Once I get the Hamer all finished, I'm going to start working on this guy. I'm thinking a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers, but haven't decided yet.

Other guitars:
A partscaster with an offset Jazzmaster type body which I finished with Duplicolor auto paint and put together
A Strat style guitar with GFS Alnico 2s and Brian May wiring which I put together for my son.
An original Teisco Del Ray, which is a crazy looking Japanese guitar from the 60s. It is totally beat to hell. I think I'm going to sell this to fund the high end pickups for the 339.
Several other cheap electrics.

The only acoustics I have right noware a Fender 12 string and a cheap resonator with a Paul beard cone which I have set up with a high brass nut so it can only be used lap style. I sold my Ibanez jumbo style (never bonded with it) and 8 string square neck Paul Beard (too many strings for the way I play) in the past year.

I need to get a regular 6 string acoustic at some point... I'm not in any big hurry though, I'll wait until I find something reasonably affordable that I love.

Amp-wise I use an Ampeg SJ-12T combo, which is glorious. I also have a Monoprice 5 watt tube amp which sounds surprisingly good for its size / price.

I also have a tiny amp that runs on a 9v battery which I built for fun. I used this: https://www.cbgitty.com/kits-guitar...-box-guitar-amplifier-kit-build-your-own-amp/

I mounted it in a baby wipe container for shits and giggles. I call it the butt wiper. It sounds terrible but is still fun to play through.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudd1 and P19978
-been on the sidelines too long, gonna get back to writing and playing.

-just bought a larrivee D-03e, should arrive this week. First acoustic ive owned in 10 years. Props to @grantbob.

-need recs on a guitar/amp tech in CKY. My 93 Rick 360 is having some electrical issues. Also need to service my goodsell super 7...been sitting a while something aint right. My big amp* sounds fine but i will have checked out as its been inactive for a few years.

*1 off burriss 2x12 combo that started life similar to an ac15...but Bob modded to sound a little more "brown" as my bandmates cried about how loud it had to get to break up "properly".

-have a bunch of other stuff that lives at my buddy's studio. Most notable an 01/02 les Paul standard in diamond sparkle....a few vintage amps and some vintage/boutique pedals. Will come home as soon as my basement is finished.

-anybody wanna buy an american strat(highway 1 hss)?

-ive owned two Mexican telecasters. A blonde w/ humbucker at the neck (*great* guitar...sad i sold it) and a sunburst that was terrible. It's a crap shoot.

I've changed out a few things since I first posted my gear so here goes:

Guitars:
Gibson 335 '59 Historic Reissue
Gibson Les Paul R4
Gibson Les Paul CU7
Gibson Les Paul R8
3 Tele partscasters (I'll never own another Fender; these partscasters are so easy to put together... and I get EXACTLY what I want it terms of neck profile, pups, etc)
Strat partscaster
Custom made Waterslide w/TV Jones pups
Custom made SG from Retro Guitars in Columbus OH.
Custom made '59 Flying V from Seth Westfall
Gibson Hummingbird
Kramer Baretta (hair metal lives on at my house!)

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Mark IV (my main gigging amp for over 25 years now)
Marshall Silver Jub reissue head
Vox AC!5 handwired
Gibson Les Paul amp (5 watts of pure fuzz when cranked lol. Another really fun use: get a Green Bullet and ram some harp thru it- sounds AWESOME!)
Custom made Fender Deluxe Reverb head (added Mid, Presence, and half power controls)
Marshall JTM45 head

Keys:
Hammond SK1 (a fantastic clonewheel... for when I want to get my Winwood fix)

All of this has been gigged (except the Hummingbird) as I play in cover bands regularly.

Reactions: rudd1
ADVERTISEMENT