ADVERTISEMENT

Best Credit Card

Jul 17, 2004
Tired of my bank's basic credit card that gives virtually no rewards. It does but it is something like 1 point per dollar charged, but it takes an absurd amount of points to redeem for prizes. It'll be something like 5,000 points to get a can opener (eyeroll).

So tell me, Paddockers, what is the best credit card with rewards and a reasonable annual fee?

Rewards could be cash back, airline miles, groceries, or whatever else is out there.

TIA

Capital One Venture. Pay it off montly and let the points rack up. They get nothing and you get free hotels, etc. with the points. You can log into their rewards section when you log in to your account and book flights, hotels, cars, etc. You get 2 points for every dollar spent.

Reactions: ukalumni00
My Citi MC & Fidelity VISA pay 2% on everything. Use Amex Preferred Blue for groceries - 6%. So at Kroger Liquor, buy 6 bottles of wine for 10% off & then another 6% with Amex. Can't afford to stop drinking.

Shutting my credit down permanently in about 6 months. No such thing as a good credit card. Should only exist for emergencies, not day to day life.

Reactions: 55wildcat
AmEx Centurion Black Card. Anyone who answered anything else needs to GTFO of Le Paddocke. We don't take too kindly to the riff-raff.

Am curious about this for travel as well. Have heard the capital one venture and the chase sapphire preferred are good but not sure between the two

Capital One Venture. Pay it off montly and let the points rack up. They get nothing and you get free hotels, etc. with the points. You can log into their rewards section when you log in to your account and book flights, hotels, cars, etc. You get 2 points for every dollar spent.
Same here. Always pay it off every month. Good strategy to get the free points if you are disciplined enough with your money to not go into debt.

I'm sure there are better cards out there, but I use a no fee card and 1 point per dollar spent. I use it 99% for business and pay it off on time every time.

We use...

Fidelity - 2% back on all purchases.
Amex Preferred Blue - 6% back on groceries up to $6K.
Sam's Club Mastercard - 5% on gas & 3 % on restaurants
BOA (can't remember the name of the card) 3% on drug stores
Chase Amazon Visa - 5% back on all Amazon purchases.
Discover IT - 5% back on various items each quarter, including gas, restaurants, groceries, drug stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.
I have a Discover Miles card that had an introductory 2X rate for the first year. I racked up nicely on that one in that year, and use it a few times a year for small purchases to keep it active.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Same here. Always pay it off every month. Good strategy to get the free points if you are disciplined enough with your money to not go into debt.
I mean if you travel a lot, fly a lot, rewards can add up.

I have a few friends, coworkers, and sister that have used them successfully at this. They will put all their regular monthly overhead expenses on one that's only used for that then make one monthly payment to clear it. A former manager of mine would get a car payment paid once a yr from this.

But man they hate you for this. Would jack those interest rates up waiting on you to screw up. I was never disciplined enough for these things. I don't use any other than a lowes and tractor supply card because that's what we have here in town and I keep them at zero at the end of every month.

My wife has to have her Amazon card. But that's her responsibility.

Reactions: 55wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT