ADVERTISEMENT

Guitar Players

Learn these four chords in the key of G the way Matt teaches them and you'll be playing songs pretty quickly.
There are lots of good teachers on YT, I follow a lot of them, but this guy is perfect for beginners. Promise.
I'll re-emphasize. Learn to play this these four chords the easy way and you can play thousands of songs.

Reactions: Rockford
@Ollie It sounds like your friend just has a good ear. That has always been super helpful for me. I can "hear" a lot of songs in the first 4 or 5 seconds and know what they are. Even if I am watching a band that is doing it their own way.

Great advice, BTW. Except for the cheating on bar chords. NEVER cheat on bar chords. Learn them first, then learn when to cheat on them. LOL
The F is always the first barre that you must learn. And of course B is next. I agree with you, don't cheat them....despite watching all the good players who do. I am not good enough to play to what I call the lazy version. But once you understand the neck of the guitar you master F and then I prefer to incorporate the G barred. Then drop down to the C. Its just a matter of understanding the major and minors of the barre cords and then muscle memory.

The F to C (open) are the first ones in my opinion to incorporate the "cheat." Alternate between open C to F (lazy barre) and back to C (open). Just makes the cord change easier.

Its a lot more fun playing a song you like. If you try Youtube karaoke songs with lyrics and cords included it allows you to play along and sing if you wish. From that I like to figure out which is the easiest cord changes to make. Sometimes using and Open G or others with the Barre G. Majors and Minors are so easy with the barre cords so its just memorizing. I memorize G to C, A to D, B to E with barre cords and then of course their major and minors. Just knowing the neck.

I am late to this conversation but........I don't live too far from you KYCatFan.....while I am not a great guitar player I can definitely help you......any time you want to hook up and see what we can share hit me up.....I am retired so my schedule is.......NO SCHEDULE...... 🤣 If'n I was you I would use tableture to learn...to play.......
Got some other things going on right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Good thread here. I'm trying to learn to play myself. The Wife got me a starter acoustic for Christmas. I've always wanted to learn to play guitar and drums. I'm in my 50's and it's never too late to learn anything. Been watching some you tube vids and my head is spinning, lol. There's a lot of good advice on here. I'm gonna get ahold of Guitar Center and purchase a few months worth of lessons. For the good players on here, is that a bad idea? Can I get the same kind of teaching from some youtube vids?

A lot of good advice here. As mentioned, learning to keep time is important. 4/4 is the most common, but also learn waltz time: 123123. I'm old, so my examples are old music: The Beatles "I Me Mine" is waltz time. So is the Rascals song "How Can I Be Sure?" I'd be inclined to learn on a steel-string acoustic first. A nylon string guitar is far more forgiving on the fingers, but it's nearly inevitable that a player is going to end up with a steel-string eventually. Go ahead and get started; it's going to be uncomfortable. Your fingers are going to rebel. Keep practicing. Gear? I'd buy an acoustic guitar with a solid wood top. A laminated top guitar isn't going to resonate properly. There are decent guitars that are maybe $300 or $400. One other determinate -- how big are your hands? If they are relatively small, you'll probably want a guitar with a neck that measures 1 11/16 inches across at the nut. That would include a lot of guitars. But wider necks are becoming more common: 1 3/4. I have one guitar that's 1 3/4, and I'm not comfortable playing it. I have at best average hands; and//or I have bad technique. Having an individual instructor probably makes sense. Seek out music that you like and as you build your knowledge of chords, you can easily find the chords of your songs online. It's a lot more engaging to play songs you know than to do theoretical exercises. After all, the whole idea is to have fun.

About 15 years ago, I went on a trip with some guys. Trip to Lake Cumberland, just sitting around the fire, listening to music, drinking beer. One of the guys that went I didn't know too well. He said ehe played guitar. I asked him to bring it. First song he played was "Piano Man" and he also played the harmonica with it. I was blown away. He basically can play any song you play for him. Can't read music. I thought if I bought a guitar, I could do that after a lot of practice. I can't. He's very talented.

Lots of good tips. I started out about 15 years ago on an acoustic Eppiphone. Got some flash cards and learned, G, C, D, A, E, Em, AM, D7, then finally a cheating F.
Go to a website like www.chordie.com or www.chords-and-tabs.net and look for songs that have the chords you know. Practice those until you get it down. At first I could play the chords but it didn't sound right. Now, most of them I can play after strumming around and figuring it out.
Was told at the beginning like someone mentioned, sing along while you play.
First song I learned to play was Wagon Wheel, pretty easy progression. Then you will start to notice how many songs have those same progressions.
Learn to use the transpose arrow on the websites. Get a capo.
Have fun!
If you find a song you like, learn it. Actually about 2-3. It's fun to go somewhere and someone hand you a guitar and you play a few songs, especially if they don't know you play.
Myself, I sit out back on my patio a lot and just try songs and record myself to see if it's any good. One of my favorite songs to play is Tom Petty "Dogs on the Run".
Also, find an artist you like and check out all their songs......I play a lot of John Price (I can't Travis pick like him), Josh Ritter, Todd Snider, Tom Petty....
Also remember it doesn't have to sound just like the original, just has to sound good and everyone can sing along.
If you live in Louisville, I would love to meet and practice.
I live in Louisville-HIghlands area-and would be interested in getting together with any local posters to work on guitar. I am a intermediate level that would like to work on getting better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT