ADVERTISEMENT

Last minute of UT game

saxonburgcat

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
With all the complaints about the last minute of our game, I went back and watched it several times. The whole narrative of 8 points in 40 seconds is misleading.

After DJ hit two FT's, with 55.6 seconds left in the game, Zieglar comes down and hits a quick 3. Edwards was playing soft on D.

On the next play, Reed falls and Zieglar picks up the ball, scores and gets a FT.

UT has now scored 6 points in 8.5 seconds to cut the lead to 5.

In the final 47.1 seconds, we had 2 turnovers (which were bad) but gave up only 2 points. We scored 1 on a FT.

We only gave up 2 pts ? The lead went from 11 to 3..........what are you talking about.

Also we had 3 turnovers not just 2.

Reed fell down and threw the ball away that is turnover #1 (47 seconds left)
Rob threw the ball to the other team that is turnover #2 (38 seconds left)
Backcourt 10 second call that is turnover #3 (22 seconds left)

It was as bad as it gets when you are up 11 with 55 seconds left no team should ever get a shot to tie the game and that is what happened and it happened with 10 seconds left even thank god it clanked off the back of the rim and went off them out of bounds.

With all the complaints about the last minute of our game, I went back and watched it several times. The whole narrative of 8 points in 40 seconds is misleading.

After DJ hit two FT's, with 55.6 seconds left in the game, Zieglar comes down and hits a quick 3. Edwards was playing soft on D.

On the next play, Reed falls and Zieglar picks up the ball, scores and gets a FT.

In the final 47.1 seconds, we had 2 turnovers (which were bad) but gave up only 2 points. We scored 1 on a FT.
Reed was pushed a little in the back when he slipped. I’m not sure if it was enough to cause the fall but he was pushed by that big dude right as he caught the ball. I also saw 3 pushes in the backs on our big guys on rebounds. They push them right as the ball hits the rim. Not one got called. All 3 lead to a Tennessee rebound.

Last edited:
I mean DJ getting whistled for the foul after Reed slipped for the And1 was about the worst call I've seen in a while.

It was clear that the refs were looking to give Tenn every chance to pull off the win, or possibly get this to OT for ratings and shit.

I know that doesn't excuse our miscues, but it sure was 1 free point and a heck of a lot of momentum given to Tenn.

We only gave up 2 pts ? The lead went from 11 to 3..........what are you talking about.

It was as bad as it gets when you are up 11 with 55 seconds left no team should ever get a shot to tie the game and that is what happened and it happened with 10 seconds left even thank god it clanked off the back of the rim and went off them out of bounds.

From the time DJ hit the FT's, UT scored 6 points in about 8 seconds. Reed's turnover gave them 3 of those points but that wasn't execution or coaching. Reed fell.

After they cut it to 5, we had 2 bad turnovers and they scored a grand total of 2 points in the final 47 seconds of the game.

Now, is that more clear?

He’s not wrong in that we only gave up 2 points after Ziegler’s free throw with 47 seconds left. That was a miracle in itself.

He’s not wrong in that we only gave up 2 points after Ziegler’s free throw with 47 seconds left. That was a miracle in itself.

I find it crazy that on that UT possession after the 10 second call, Knecht fell making a cut under the basket with Edwards guarding him. That took him out of the play. Had he shot the 3, we might have gone to OT.

I don't think Reed's slip and Knecht's slip are unrelated. That floor was slippery down there.

I find it crazy that on that UT possession after the 10 second call, Knecht fell making a cut under the basket with Edwards guarding him. That took him out of the play. Had he shot the 3, we might have gone to OT.

I don't think Reed's slip and Knecht's slip are unrelated. That floor was slippery down there.
I saw a replay of the 10 second call and it looked like Cal was out on the court trying to call for a timeout. Not sure why it wasn't granted. Obviously Reeves should have just called it himself. But, fortunately things worked out. I'm impressed that Cal called that timeout after Rob missed the first FT. Even at the risk of icing him, I just assume he did it to tell them to foul UT if we were only up 3 (right call given the small amount of time left and Knecht on the floor).

From the time DJ hit the FT's, UT scored 6 points in about 8 seconds. Reed's turnover gave them 3 of those points but that wasn't execution or coaching. Reed fell.

After they cut it to 5, we had 2 bad turnovers and they scored a grand total of 2 points in the final 47 seconds of the game.

Now, is that more clear?
You posted "the last minute" maybe you should post "The last 40 seconds" then you would been right they only gave up 2 pts in the last 40 seconds but they gave up 8 pts in the last minute.

My hope is that this causes our coaching staff to really work on end game situations like these. Thankfully we got out unscathed, but these things have to be cleaned up before everything is on the line in the tournament.

We looked confused, rattled and chaotic on those last 2 turnovers. Hopefully, the coaching staff works on those situations. It is hard to believe that this late in the season we handled their pressure so poorly. `

Having said that, we've had some problems there before especially late in games. It has to be tough on players to play in that environment and maintain their composure. Our guys pulled out a gutty win.

Love this team but whatever it was, it was not pretty and did not fill me with warm fuzzy's going into touney play like the first 38.5 did. They still got a few more games to get it to all come together which I would love to witness. Go Cat's.

I saw a replay of the 10 second call and it looked like Cal was out on the court trying to call for a timeout. Not sure why it wasn't granted. Obviously Reeves should have just called it himself. But, fortunately things worked out. I'm impressed that Cal called that timeout after Rob missed the first FT. Even at the risk of icing him, I just assume he did it to tell them to foul UT if we were only up 3 (right call given the small amount of time left and Knecht on the floor).
Calipari said on post game, he was trying to call a TO... but refs didn't see/recognize him. He took blame for that one.

Reed was pushed a little in the back when he slipped. I’m not sure if it was enough to cause the fall but he was pushed by that big dude right as he caught the ball. I also saw 3 pushes in the backs on our big guys on rebounds. They push them right as the ball hits the rim. Not one got called. All 3 lead to a Tennessee rebound.
When you're wearing orange that's considered physical play.

I mean DJ getting whistled for the foul after Reed slipped for the And1 was about the worst call I've seen in a while.

It was clear that the refs were looking to give Tenn every chance to pull off the win, or possibly get this to OT for ratings and shit.

I know that doesn't excuse our miscues, but it sure was 1 free point and a heck of a lot of momentum given to Tenn.
Yeah that one was bad. He didn’t even touch him except maybe with his breath.

Oglesby and Daley SSUUUUUUUCK.

Gonna be hard for the coach no matter what he draws up when the players look like deer caught in headlights.

UK guards picked up their dribble more during yesterday's game than I think they've done in all other games combined. Reed did it numerous times yesterday.

I just watched back the entire game what kind of BS call was that on Wagner for his 5th foul he never even touched him this is happening over and over to us where refs are calling these phantom fouls. It happened to Reed in a game not long ago.

Is there a post applauding the team for their overall defense?

Reed scares the crap out of me at the end of games.

He’s so dang good the rest of em though and I know he’s who we want shooting free throws but we got to be able to draw the foul first.

The problem was all those things were a result of an ongoing problem Kentucky teams have had for a while. When max fill court pressure is brought we tend to freeze up and struggle to inbound or advance the ball. We’re really shaky.

But all teams are to some extent we just have to find a better way attack the pressure. We don’t really have a super quick and steady ball handler to get it to to break presses down. Reed is solid but not quick. Dilly is quick but not steady. Cal has to come up with a better scheme may be throwing it in to the second level more or into a big who can release it back to a guard.

Reactions: singletrackcat

It was criminal when DJ never touched him and it was obvious the refs attended to pull tn out of the trash can. Never noticed UK getting treatment that way in rupp.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Love this team but whatever it was, it was not pretty and did not fill me with warm fuzzy's going into touney play like the first 38.5 did. They still got a few more games to get it to all come together which I would love to witness. Go Cat's.
I hope you get to witness it. That's what I'd like to see too but if they don't win the SEC tournament then I doubt I'll be as convinced we a championship team. It would just depend on the game and the ending I guess but I really like this team and don't want this season to end. I like how I think about this team right now. I don't know that I'll feel the same about them going into the NCAA tourney if we just have an early exit from the SEC-T. I know the Conf. Tournament supposedly don't mean shit, but they're on the schedule so gotta win the games that matter and the one's that don't from here on out.

I was having flashbacks to the disastrous final few minutes of the SEC tournament semifinal game in 2019.

Luckily their run started a little later in the game this time lol.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I just watched back the entire game what kind of BS call was that on Wagner for his 5th foul he never even touched him this is happening over and over to us where refs are calling these phantom fouls. It happened to Reed in a game not long ago.
That’s what I saw too!
The ref that had no angle on the sideline made the call.
Reeds double dribble TO never happens, it’s like the ball got caught on his wrist dribbling full speed and he was trying to get it to Edwards. If he makes that play clean the. Edwards knocks down that 3 and game goes back to 9 pt lead and it’s a wrap.
Not to concerned, all good learning lessons that cal will review.

We had issues inbounding the ball all game. I think before the final flurry we had 4 turnovers on inbounds plays. That’s 4 opportunities to score wasted. Gotta work on that in practice. I never see other teams struggling to simply inbound the ball.

My hope is that this causes our coaching staff to really work on end game situations like these. Thankfully we got out unscathed, but these things have to be cleaned up before everything is on the line in the tournament.
Yeah, we had no bigs at mid court to help

You posted "the last minute" maybe you should post "The last 40 seconds" then you would been right they only gave up 2 pts in the last 40 seconds but they gave up 8 pts in the last minute.
No, he literally walked you through the entire timeline. You clearly didn't read it, right?

The part that bothered me the most here was Rob and Reeves occupying the same space. I'm not sure exactly what the press-break was supposed to be, but the spacing on this play was really poor, which is why we couldn't get the ball across

He did say that

I agree with this. The ref on the baseline looking at the play didn't call it but the guy on the sideline who was blocked out from seeing if there was contact was the one who blew the whistle. There was no contact at all.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'm honestly ok with what happened.

Maybe now we'll know how to deal with it better in the tournament where it will no doubt come at some pt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT