ADVERTISEMENT

The dead period in sports...unless your baseball fan

Yeah I'm honestly bored out of my mind. I like baseball but it's such a long haul and games are so long that if your team is hopeless like mine, it's reallllllly hard to follow unless you're a real die hard.

Reactions: TM2013
I watch the Reds everyday I can and the French Open just started, this is a great time of the year. Honestly, if it isn't UK playing, I get more bored during basketball season.

Reactions: csrupp
I watch the Reds but they are still a year away from contending for the post season. Also I watch the USA soccer team play their summer tournaments every year, gold cup in July this year and World Cup is in June of 2018.

I am not too crazy about summer though. I am 28 and living on my own, most of my friends and people I work with are married and/ or have kids so they aren't available that often to hang out, especially this time of year. Also my favorite TV shows are in the fall and winter. All that's on TV in the summer are re runs and movies.

I watch the Reds but they are still a year away from contending for the post season. Also I watch the USA soccer team play their summer tournaments every year, gold cup in July this year and World Cup is in June of 2018.

I am not too crazy about summer though. I am 28 and living on my own, most of my friends and people I work with are married and/ or have kids so they aren't available that often to hang out, especially this time of year. Also my favorite TV shows are in the fall and winter. All that's on TV in the summer are re runs and movies.
Thanks for Brandon phillips.

Reds are not "a year away from contending for postseason". Unless you mean around 7 or 8 games back from the WC toward end of season.

Their lineup is encouraging but zero decent pitching prospects as of now. Disco maybe. Won't sniff postseason play until they've got at least 3 decent SP.

Reactions: Bryo72 and TM2013
Reds are not "a year away from contending for postseason". Unless you mean around 7 or 8 games back from the WC toward end of season.

Their lineup is encouraging but zero decent pitching prospects as of now. Disco maybe. Won't sniff postseason play until they've got at least 3 decent SP.
At least 3 decent SP huh..Bailey, DeSclafani, and Brandon Finnegan along with Amir Garrett are all on track to come back in or before July.

I didn't think we make the postseason to start the year but if we can stay a few games back and then get those guys back throwing well, whose to say we can't make a run? This team believes in themselves, their lineup thus far has been outstanding and very balanced. I'm very encouraged and like what we've got coming up in the system.

At least 3 decent SP huh..Bailey, DeSclafani, and Brandon Finnegan along with Amir Garrett are all on track to come back in or before July.

I didn't think we make the postseason to start the year but if we can stay a few games back and then get those guys back throwing well, whose to say we can't make a run? This team believes in themselves, their lineup thus far has been outstanding and very balanced. I'm very encouraged and like what we've got coming up in the system.
I said Disco. Bailey? The most inconsistent SP of all time? Now coming off another injury. Garret? Started well, been knocked around pretty good lately. Finnegan looks ok.

Garret has a 6.00 ERA
Finnegan lifetime 3.76 ERA

I said Disco. Bailey? The most inconsistent SP of all time? Now coming off another injury. Garret? Started well, been knocked around pretty good lately. Finnegan looks ok.
My bad, you did mention Disco..their current starting rotation is Adelman, Arroyo, Bonilla, Whats he doing to Wojo!, and Feldman and they're still competing..those guys on the DL, granted they're inconsistent, in the mix can only help. Like I said, stay within a few games and you never know.

My bad, you did mention Disco..their current starting rotation is Adelman, Arroyo, Bonilla, Whats he doing to Wojo!, and Feldman and they're still competing..those guys on the DL, granted they're inconsistent, in the mix can only help. Like I said, stay within a few games and you never know.
I hope you're right. I've enjoyed watching these guys hit. I turn the channel when it's our turn to pitch lol

Reactions: drew_ukfan
I like it. Golf is awesome and is in one of its great eras in my opinion. Tons of young talent out there. Now if the Cubs could just get that mojo back.....

Homer Bailey wtf

Yeah I'm honestly bored out of my mind. I like baseball but it's such a long haul and games are so long that if your team is hopeless like mine, it's reallllllly hard to follow unless you're a real die hard.

I never get the "baseball games are so long" thing.

Games in all sports have gotten too long, yes. Although it is not the games themselves, it is the TV timeouts/commercials added so the leagues can make more money.
But your average MLB game lasts 3:00.
While your average NFL & college football games last 3:10.
But you don't see people complain about their length. Why not?
Is it because they are so action packed?
Your average football game has 11-15 minutes of action. I'm not saying baseball has a lot more action (if you don't like to watch a pitcher work, & you only want to see the ball in play), but it's not significantly less either. I do have to admit football has one major advantage, that it's stops in play are regular & known. You know after a play you have 30-45 seconds to get a drink, talk to your friends, get on your smart phone, whatever, and then the next play happens. In baseball you don't know which pitch the hitter is going to hit, so it is more unpredictable when the ball will be in play. Another advantage in football is that you just need to watch 1 day a week and be pretty informed. That doesn't work in baseball.

Then how can you not be excited for the bb team and did not the track team have 4 K for an event the other day?

Until football begins.....

clock.gif

If the Reds can get Finnegan, bailey, and Disco back soon then they may have a chance at a wild card. Unfortunately I think the reds win 70 something games which will leave me just watching football with no baseball in September and October.

Christ, we watch like 10+ hours of sports a week from August to April (assuming many of you are fellow football fans).. is it that big of a deal to have a 5 month break, during the best go-outdoors months of the year?

With the NBA finals wrapping up, I'm honestly glad to have the break. A few golf tournaments, maybe a few baseball games and that's about it.

It's 80 and mostly sunny. Who needs televised sports? Just got back from 2-1/2 hours kayaking at East Fork State Park. Soon it'll be time to grill some pork chops and Johnsonville brats. Then chill out for a few hours. Don't miss televised sports right now. Not at all!

Besides, I do have some UFC fights and several rugby matches on the DVR if I get desperate.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'll follow the BatCats on through hopefully to Omaha.
But after that, the summer just drags on...

I hate the time period between the end of the bowl games and the ncaa tournament. I enjoy sitting out on the deck listening to or sometimes watching the Reds. Even though the Reds smell and will never again be a power like they were when I was a kid, I still enjoy keeping up with them.

I enjoy June but that's about it. I'll watch the USA 19 team online or wherever I can watch it in July, watch a little soccer, if the Reds are around .500 I'll watch them, but summer isn't that exciting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT