ADVERTISEMENT

Probably good for college sports. That the Big10 finally won a championship in something

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Since the turn of the century (2000) in the 4 sports that we all can relate to baseball, football, men's basketball & women's basketball. In these 4 sports combined the Big10 has won only 4 national championships. Compared to the other Power-5 conferences

SEC - 32 National championships
ACC - 14 National championships
Big12 - 11 National championships
PAC12 - 9 National championships
Big10 - 4 National championships

If we go back an additional 10 years back from 1990 until now. The national championships are.

SEC - 47 National championships
ACC - 18 National championships
PAC12 - 14 National championships
Big12 - 13 National championships
Big10 - 6 National championships

When 1 conference the SEC being so far superior to the Big10 it might be better for college athletics if the lowly Big10 can maybe win a few more national championships

Don't know about the Big 10 part, but it is definitely good for CFB the game was no teams from the south, 1 from mid west, 1 from far left coast. This sport needs to be a national sport, all regions interested and following, not just the south east corner.

Reactions: entropy13
The B1G winning championships in football could possibly hurt us in recruiting hs kids from Ohio though the portal helps even things out. But I don’t mind seeing Mich or other B1G winning one as I’m not one of those SEC SEC guys. I actually get sick of Bama and UGA winning everything in football, doesn’t help us at all recruiting the south.

Reactions: entropy13
What's funny about this whole year of football is the hype for other conferences was at its peak. Even with the scandal at Michigan, the hype train for the conference and that team never let up. What's even more remarkable is that OSU has had such dominant programs in other years that by comparison Michigan looked pretty feeble. They gave the game to Bama and Bama gave it back.

Worked out good for Michigan.

Reactions: Lost In FL
When 1 conference the SEC being so far superior to the Big10 it might be better for college athletics if the lowly Big10 can maybe win a few more national championships
If the prior 30 years hadn’t shut ‘em up, I don’t see Michigans win as the salvation of anything.

I guess we can give ‘em one-out-of-ten.

Wether you think the spying issue was big or not, it was against the rules and they should have forfeited every game against an opponent physically watched. Prior to getting caught how many games of potential playoff teams did they attend? It's a tainted championship won by a team blantly breaking rules.

Since the turn of the century (2000) in the 4 sports that we all can relate to baseball, football, men's basketball & women's basketball. In these 4 sports combined the Big10 has won only 4 national championships. Compared to the other Power-5 conferences

SEC - 32 National championships
ACC - 14 National championships
Big12 - 11 National championships
PAC12 - 9 National championships
Big10 - 4 National championships

If we go back an additional 10 years back from 1990 until now. The national championships are.

SEC - 47 National championships
ACC - 18 National championships
PAC12 - 14 National championships
Big12 - 13 National championships
Big10 - 6 National championships

Womens basketball? uhhhh??

Wether you think the spying issue was big or not, it was against the rules and they should have forfeited every game against an opponent physically watched. Prior to getting caught how many games of potential playoff teams did they attend? It's a tainted championship won by a team blantly breaking rules.

It definitely doesn't seem like a big deal. But.....it's pretty compelling when you consider how mediocre he was at Michigan until the spying started. He was literally on the verge of losing his job and even had to restructure his deal to avoid getting fired .

Then literally overnight he started being a national title contender. This with less impactful players than he had all those years of mediocrity.

So when you look at the big picture, that level of cheating absolutely was a huge advantage for them and made the difference.

It definitely doesn't seem like a big deal. But.....it's pretty compelling when you consider how mediocre he was at Michigan until the spying started. He was literally on the verge of losing his job and even had to restructure his deal to avoid getting fired .

Then literally overnight he started being a national title contender. This with less impactful players than he had all those years of mediocrity.

So when you look at the big picture, that level of cheating absolutely was a huge advantage for them and made the difference.
And now he’s (probably) off to the NFL. No accountability for anybody.

I'm sure CBS/NBC/Fox are very happy about their future Big 10 TV games. They can tell advertisers look, no SEC or southern schools but wow so many more viewers.

Sign stealing stuff isn't a big deal. We went through this 15 yrs ago with Belichick & the Patriots. There simply isn't enough time for someone to read a play being signaled in, look at decoder what it means, then signal to your offense/defense what to do. In person scouting is against the rules because small schools can't afford to hire staff and pay for their travel all over to other games. Signals can be picked up from tv broadcasts.

Reactions: Blouman
The B1G winning championships in football could possibly hurt us in recruiting hs kids from Ohio though the portal helps even things out. But I don’t mind seeing Mich or other B1G winning one as I’m not one of those SEC SEC guys. I actually get sick of Bama and UGA winning everything in football, doesn’t help us at all recruiting the south.

I think Harbaugh raided the south because Ohio talent wasn't going to win him anything. Urban did the same thing.

The OP and list of titles proves the legend of Ohio talent is largely over exaggerated.

You could probably break it down further into individual programs and where a vast majority of their recruits are coming from.

SEC, ACC, B12...that's a big clue in terms of geography. The first two are basically southeastern talent. B12 is supplied largely by Texas talent but also a healthy amount of southern talent from Louisianna, Mississippi...

25M viewers, 8M more than last year and highest rated championship game in years

College football as big, fantastic, and economically dominant as it is, was starting to get a bit regional. Now, that region is more than happy to spend the money on it, watch it, fill up the stadiums, and support pretty good ratings. However, for the sake of long-term health of the sport and industry, it was time to sprinkle in a little variety.

This play off was a perfect play off. A team from the pacific west coast, a team from one of the biggest most populated states, a team from the Midwest, and a team from the south.

I would assume the first two games were pretty high up in the viewer ship ratings as well, then all those viewers funnel into the title game.

This is why expanding was always the play. It's going to bring in so many casual fans from different demographics and markets who weren't watching the big bowl games when a computer was deciding things, who weren't watching a penny nanny 4 team play-off that was the same half dozen teams from the same region. Now they will because a team they may be marginally interested or have a connection to is in the picture, and even if that team doesn't make it to the title game, well they're already into it and will see the thing through.

• Love
Reactions: rudd1
I'm sure CBS/NBC/Fox are very happy about their future Big 10 TV games. They can tell advertisers look, no SEC or southern schools but wow so many more viewers.

Sign stealing stuff isn't a big deal. We went through this 15 yrs ago with Belichick & the Patriots. There simply isn't enough time for someone to read a play being signaled in, look at decoder what it means, then signal to your offense/defense what to do. In person scouting is against the rules because small schools can't afford to hire staff and pay for their travel all over to other games. Signals can be picked up from tv broadcasts.
I'm not sure I totally agree with that. The video below of Connor Stalions on the sideline watching signs when the play gets called in and relaying that information to the players prior to the snap shows that it can be done. The fact that prior to Stalions attending games of opponents, Harbaugh had a winning percentage of .690 and after he started attending games live, Harbaugh had a winning percentage of .925 tells me something.

As for TV broadcasts, Stalions did that prior to doing the in-person the last 3 years and made minimal impact because you can only see minimal plays being called in on TV. No one will convince me that it did not give them an edge. They were a good team regardless, but did it give them an advantage...100%

Last edited:
I'm not sure I totally agree with that. There is video footage of Connor Stallions on the sideline watching signs, relaying information to the individual calling the plays and then that person making adjustments leading up to the snap. The fact that prior to Stallons attending games of opponents, Harbaugh had a winning percentage of .690 and after he started attending games live, Harbaugh had a winning percentage of .925 tells me something.

As for TV broadcasts, Stallons did that prior to doing the in-person the last 3 years and made minimal impact because you can only see minimal plays being called in on TV. No one will convince me that it did not give them an edge. They were a good team regardless, but did it give them an advantage that...I believe so.

Correct. The all 22 intentionally omits staff. From tv viewership, miniscule amounts of info could be obtained and relatively none of it useful. Plus the few angles per game usually have teams obstructing the camera view.

That clip you referenced is determinative imo. The clip clearly shows the massive advantage this gave them. Now the operation was impressive, because that all took some lightning quick processing and communication but they absolutely did it.

Combine that with the massive jump in performance and there is no doubt how much this helped them. It literally took them from mediocre to champion.

Reactions: Lost In FL
I think Harbaugh raided the south because Ohio talent wasn't going to win him anything. Urban did the same thing.

The OP and list of titles proves the legend of Ohio talent is largely over exaggerated.

You could probably break it down further into individual programs and where a vast majority of their recruits are coming from.

SEC, ACC, B12...that's a big clue in terms of geography. The first two are basically southeastern talent. B12 is supplied largely by Texas talent but also a healthy amount of southern talent from Louisianna, Mississippi...

College football as big, fantastic, and economically dominant as it is, was starting to get a bit regional. Now, that region is more than happy to spend the money on it, watch it, fill up the stadiums, and support pretty good ratings. However, for the sake of long-term health of the sport and industry, it was time to sprinkle in a little variety.

This play off was a perfect play off. A team from the pacific west coast, a team from one of the biggest most populated states, a team from the Midwest, and a team from the south.

I would assume the first two games were pretty high up in the viewer ship ratings as well, then all those viewers funnel into the title game.

This is why expanding was always the play. It's going to bring in so many casual fans from different demographics and markets who weren't watching the big bowl games when a computer was deciding things, who weren't watching a penny nanny 4 team play-off that was the same half dozen teams from the same region. Now they will because a team they may be marginally interested or have a connection to is in the picture, and even if that team doesn't make it to the title game, well they're already into it and will see the thing through.

I agree with you 100%, you can get skill guys from the northern states because fast guys are everywhere. What doesn't come from the northern states in big numbers is big, mobile linemen on both sides of the ball. Yes there are exception but not enough exceptions to build and keep a program. Rogers was average at UK and AU, the other big DL from Mich wasn't a game changer, Walker is much better than those 2 every were and he is a rising Jr. So the teams that want to win big hit the south hard, and why I think Sanky will do all he can to keep a Big10 team out of the south, even if it means inviting FSU and Miami

Have not followed the sign stealing saga that closely, but Michigan beat all the toughest teams on the schedule after the scandal broke, so could not have made any difference vs. Penn State, OSU, Bama, and Washington. Before that, hell Michigan could have told Rutgers and IU what they were going to run and still won (pretty much Georgia could do to Vandy).

As for recruiting violations, in this era of Pay for Play, what exactly constitutes a recruiting violation? Kidnapping? Blackmail, holding one of your family member's hostage? Not sure what else is out there.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Have not followed the sign stealing saga that closely, but Michigan beat all the toughest teams on the schedule after the scandal broke, so could not have made any difference vs. Penn State, OSU, Bama, and Washington. Before that, hell Michigan could have told Rutgers and IU what they were going to run and still won (pretty much Georgia could do to Vandy).

As for recruiting violations, in this era of Pay for Play, what exactly constitutes a recruiting violation? Kidnapping? Blackmail, holding one of your family member's hostage? Not sure what else is out there.

That is fair but they cheated for 2 seasons before this apparently. I hope they make them vacate all those games. If they keep the title they won't care though.

Yea, it's definitely good for the game. The biggest big 10 schools have the largest followings and alumni bases scattered throughout the country (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn state, Wisconsin, etc). The south has so dominated the sport that the risk of alienating the rest of the country was possible, so it's probably good for the overall health of the sport.

Reactions: Blouman and Tskware
That is fair but they cheated for 2 seasons before this apparently. I hope they make them vacate all those games. If they keep the title they won't care though.
Well, that's the issue actually, we all know Louisville won the NCAA in 2013 even though it was vacated, nobody's gonna forget the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT