ADVERTISEMENT

The complete number of times that a division 1 kicker has missed short on a 43 yar field goal

Butler's high school bio....

High School
  • Three-year starter at Paducah Tilghman under Coach Randy Wyatt, who played at Kentucky in the 1990s
  • Finished his career as a kicker with 212 points, the most in school history
  • Holds school records for longest field goal (49 yards), most field goals made in a season (13) and a career (26)
  • Ranks fourth in the state for field goals made in a season and is fifth in field goals made in a career
  • Two-time all-conference selection
  • Also a starter in soccer and a pitcher/utility player in baseball
  • Named Mr. Tilghman, and was selected as the Paducah Sun Teen of the Year for 2013-14
  • Graduated as Tilghman’s salutatorian with a 4.0+ grade point average
  • Member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club and Student Council
Could it have been a mis-hit? Surely not.

So he made one from 49 yards in high school but after all those workouts and body building he couldn't make one from five yards shorter? Sounds like just one of those days..

I am amazed at the accuracy (and range) of these kickers, hitting the ball a quarter inch high, low, left, or right makes a lot of difference over 40 yards. Put a ball on a tee sometime, take a two step run at it and see how far ;you kick it, with no pressure.

The problem was easy to see - we took the ball out of our best football players hands on 3rd and 2. I would have rather watched Benny run it twice to get that two yards. Poor play call, that lost us the game.

Matter of fact; Gran screwed the pooch on that drive with a few minutes left to get into field goal range. Would we have made the field goal - don’t know.
Yep. End of regulation, we had timeouts to use, but do not seem to have a 2 min offense (or at least no interest in trying to run one).

In the OT, on 3 and 2, no reason to keep the ball out of Benny's hands. We would have either picked up the 1st down or at least stayed in range for the kicker. Don't know if that changes the fact that A&M scored a td on their possession.

The other time to role the dice was right after the defense scored a td. Go for the win with a 2 pt conversion instead of the tie. Maybe Stoops figured an overtime loss would be better than a loss in regulation?

Reactions: sambowieshin
I know of one for sure because I was sitting in the end zone watching it happen. It was against TN and it was either one of the first years Commonwealth was open or the last year of Stoll Field (think it was the former). We drove down pretty close for the winning FG. The kick was 38 yards, I'm almost positive. It was dead center and about 2 yards short - didn't even hit the crossbar. One of the fans sitting near me said he could kick a pile of sh!t 38 yards, which is one reason I remember the game very distinctly.

That one was a long time ago but it did happen. Having said that, I was there at College Station and couldn't believe he didn't get it there. Maybe he was worried about having it blocked and caught it fat like a pitching wedge. Regardless, aTm still scored a TD so missing the FG, while embarrassing, didn't mean the difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: gobigblue812
A 42 yard fg is much easier to kick than a 52 yard fg. The basic point being argued here is that a kicker at a FBS school, especially a Power 5 school like UK, should have the leg strength to make that kick always. It would be about the equivalent of having a qb that cant throw a pass over 20 yards.

I have it on very good authority (some of our fans) that Hartline couldn't throw the ball ten yards, and he still did pretty good.

I have it on very good authority (some of our fans) that Hartline couldn't throw the ball ten yards, and he still did pretty good.
Hartline was brutalized by many in the fan base. But by his senior year he became a helluva qb. If we had that level of qb play on this years team I believe an 11 or 12 win would’ve been possible.

Butler's high school bio....

High School
  • Three-year starter at Paducah Tilghman under Coach Randy Wyatt, who played at Kentucky in the 1990s
  • Finished his career as a kicker with 212 points, the most in school history
  • Holds school records for longest field goal (49 yards), most field goals made in a season (13) and a career (26)
  • Ranks fourth in the state for field goals made in a season and is fifth in field goals made in a career
  • Two-time all-conference selection
  • Also a starter in soccer and a pitcher/utility player in baseball
  • Named Mr. Tilghman, and was selected as the Paducah Sun Teen of the Year for 2013-14
  • Graduated as Tilghman’s salutatorian with a 4.0+ grade point average
  • Member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club and Student Council
Could it have been a mis-hit? Surely not.
in high school you get to kick field goals off a tee. not like a traditonal kick off tee but more like an elevated block, gives you a lot, lot, more distance. I kicked a few times when our kicker got hurt.

Reactions: jauk11
NFL extra points hitting crossbar:

NOTE: various lengths.

In case you missed it or have never seen it before Alabama doesn't have a kicker this year either. Miles Butler could have gone to Alabama on an academic scholarship, but chose to walk on at Kentucky. Austin has been coaching him.

It doesn't take a very smart man to criticize a kid living out his dream.

Also, the goal posts are 15 yards in the endzone. No explanation was needed unless it was intended for your sycophants here.

Last edited:
Watch to your heart's content, and when you want more for your viewing pleasure ask someone to point you to google.

1. Last night against Texas A&M.

Can anybody add to the list?
Alabama’s kicker missed back to back extra points one week! It happens! We all knew he couldn’t make it from 43.. we’ve talked about it the entire season.
The statement should be how many teams are ranked without a kicker - 2 Kentucky and Bama

NFL extra points hitting crossbar:

NOTE: various lengths.

In case you missed it or have never seen it before Alabama doesn't have a kicker this year either. Miles Butler could have gone to Alabama on an academic scholarship, but chose to walk on at Kentucky. Austin has been coaching him.

It doesn't take a very smart man to criticize a kid living out his dream.

Also, the goal posts are 15 yards in the endzone. No explanation was needed unless it was intended for your sycophants here.
No one here has questioned the character of Miles Butler. I’m sure he’s an outstanding individual. The only thing questioned is his ability to be a competent enough kicker at the college level. And linking a video of kickers missing 50 plus yard fg’s proves nothing. I think the entire point of this thread is way over your head.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I'll be waiting for the thread when he makes a 43 yarder or longer. That is if the staff has the confidence to let him try them at that range.

No one here has questioned the character of Miles Butler. I’m sure he’s an outstanding individual. The only thing questioned is his ability to be a competent enough kicker at the college level. And linking a video of kickers missing 50 plus yard fg’s proves nothing. I think the entire point of this thread is way over your head.

And I think the entire point of his post is way over your head.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
I’m sure the guy that thinks goal posts are 15 yards in the end zone knows what he’s talking about lol.

Probably a typo, don't you think? You think he is in the first grade?

And what has he got to do with the praise for the kicker's character, written by another poster/

Can you explain what you mean by the goal posts being 15 yards in the endzone

Guy is having all kinds of problems understanding field goal distances.

I even spelled it out for him in this thread, and he still screwed it up again.

I’m sure Miles Butler is a good guy. So am I. His character here is irrelevant.

Glad to see his friends and family weighing in. I like Paducah, too.

Reactions: skcatfan
Probably a typo, don't you think? You think he is in the first grade?

And what has he got to do with the praise for the kicker's character, written by another poster/
If it was a typo he could’ve addressed it when called out on it but he didn’t. I think he’s lacking in basic football knowledge. And more than likely he’s a friend or relative of Butler and here defending him. That’s totally understandable but doesn’t change the facts that have been discussed.

I’ll add one last comment and leave it at that. If Butler gets an opportunity to kick a possible game winning fg no matter how long it is I’m definitely rooting for him to make it. Hopefully he finishes the season on a good note.

I believe the first kick in the posted video is 57 yards. That's the only distance I need to know.

I already had my education in spotting Losers by frequenting this board. This woman, who has been watching UK football since the 70s, says the loser in this thread is not the kid.

I believe the first kick in the posted video is 57 yards. That's the only distance I need to know.

I already had my education in spotting Losers by frequenting this board. This woman, who has been watching UK football since the 70s, says the loser in this thread is not the kid.
Can you explain the 15 yards deep in the endzone [post?

They would have thrown the ball 3 yards in the backfield on a soft pass and tackled for a 2 yard loss. I thought of that but no way you do it the way Gran calls plays. The guy is bizarre.

The kicker missed a 43 yarder SHORT. that's not good considering tight SEC football comes down to kickers. We will need to score through the air to win the remaining games. Teams know what to do now.

We have no quarterback and no kicker. If we win 10 this year it's 100% defense that's going to do it

We were exposed in two areas of SEC football last night. You need both to compete for the east.

Hard to believe this is the only kicker we could find out of about 10 million people to choose from. I know of two high school kickers in the west tn area that would eat him alive. It's not good to miss a 40ish yard fie
Look ld goal short. He has no leg. I can hit a 35 yarder with ease. Well, I could when I last tried. Used to have fun with it when I was coaching.

Look who is posting again, I guess instead of calling for Stoops to be replaced as you did after the 1st game, you are now attacking the pk.

Reactions: rupp876
I guess the OP thinks no coach has ever gone for it on fourth down instead of kicking a 43 yard field goal because he didn't have confidence his kicker could make it.

Yes Butler missed the kick at A&M short and it wasn't a good look but didn't we all know before the season started that long field goals was going to be a weakness for this team? I know I did. Butler has a career long at UK of 46 yards so he is capable of making it from that distance so one could argue he just made a bad kick instead of that he can't kick it more than 42 yards.

Also I'll leave this here as food for thought. Nick Saban arguably the best who has ever done it in college has a history of recruiting bad kickers and he has the pick of the litter and still more often than not has a below average kicker. If recruiting a below average kicker means Stoops is following in Nick Sabans lead I will take it.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/14/17860824/alabama-crimson-tide-kicking-problems-nick-saban

Reactions: rupp876
The only thing wrong with his post, which you scoff at, is it does not match your agenda. Otherwise it was accurate and on point.

You got me. I will try in the future to avoid attempts at light humor, now that my agenda has been exposed. Please don’t tell the right people about this.

Has this been addressed by the coaching staff this week? They see him kick everyday in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT