ADVERTISEMENT

The complete number of times that a division 1 kicker has missed short on a 43 yar field goal

Actually I was. But whatever

Centre College? I heard they were a power in the day.

A field goal kicker is different from any other position on the team.

I bet if your kicker ever missed a FGA (let alone an extra point) you went over and kicked his butt, right? Or was he bigger than you?

Last edited:
Ummmm we are talking missing it short......

I agree, but some of those kick, by professionals, were absolutely terrible. At least our missed 43 yarder last night was straight. A few inches and none of us would have this conversation.

people read the topic..he said missed SHORT..Like in not making it to the goal post without being blocked...We all know they miss left and right..
Some in this thread....
And if some would have read page #1 they would have seen where I acknowledged that point.

Go back and read the complete idiot's guide to football. NFL kickers average range 35 yards. Book was written by Joe Theisman and others. See previous post.

Okay, I was going to let this go the first time you posted it but I can’t let it go twice. The link you posted and referenced says:

“For most NFL kickers, the 35 yard line is typically the limit of their field goal range.”

You know how field goals work, right? Apparently you don’t. I let it go the first time because I thought no way this guy believes 35 yards is an NFL kickers average range. Anyone who has watched football for 5 minutes would know better than that. Kicking from the 35 yard line is NOT a 35 yard kick. You add 7 yards for the snap and 10 yards for the end zone. Kicking the ball from the 35 yard line is a 52 yard field goal. Which would make sense. NOT 35 yards.

I seriously can’t believe I just explained that on a football message board.

I think the OP is rightly observing that of the factors that go into hititing a field goal, it’s highly preferable - and indeed usually the rule - that ability to get the ball to the goal is not one of them. Missing left or right is a risk every kicker must deal with. Whether or not it gets there, from 42 yards away, isn’t typically one of the concerns.

Centre College? I heard they were a power in the day.

A field goal kicker is different from any other position on the team.

I bet if your kicker ever missed a FGA (let alone an extra point) you went over and kicked his butt, right? Or was he bigger than you?
A field goal kicker has one damn job. One. How damn hard is that to understand? He came up short, what division one kicker comes up short on a 43 yard field goal. Name one

Reactions: Nubb16
Green Bay’s kicker missed five (5) field goals sunday, all 46yds or under except a 56 yarder.

I think most fans who watch football are aware that yardage is added for the kicker and end zone.

Yeah, I think so as well. Which is why I was embarrassed to even point it out until the guy said it twice.

This has certainly been a ridiculous thread. The kid is obviously not a top notch kicker but to suggest he has the weakest leg in this history of D1 FB is clearly over the top absurd.

Those exact words weren’t used, it was simply a question of “have you ever seen that before?” Which I don’t believe I have. So from that perspective it was a compelling question.

Reactions: jnewc2
Do short ones count even less than ones missed left or right?

he he can make them from that distance. I also assume he feels like he got it up in the air too much to make sure it wouldn’t get blocked.

He doesn’t have a good leg. I am sure he’s beside himself that he missed.

Well, here's one example. Granted, it was a long time ago.

Brad Burditt fell barely short with a 39-yard field goal try with two seconds left in the game Saturday to let No. 17 Notre Dame escape with a 16-14 victory over the Big Eight Tigers.

Brad Burditt fell barely short with a 39-yard field goal try with two seconds left in the game Saturday to let No. 17 Notre Dame escape with a 16-14 victory over the Big Eight Tigers.

Just read the story on that. So you went back decades ago. Another fun fact, it was the ONLY time in Burditt’s 4 year career he misssd any kick inside 40 yards. Not only the only time he was short, but also only miss.

This kid saved us last year when Austin couldn't kick.

Go back and read the complete idiot's guide to football. NFL kickers average range 35 yards. Book was written by Joe Theisman and others. See previous post.

Moral of this thread: .If a man wants to be a turd inspector, let him.
If you seriously think that NFL kickers average range 35 yards, you obviously don't watch much NFL. An average NFL kicker should hit at least 50% of 50+ yard field goals. A kicker with a 35 yard range would never get a sniff of a practice squad. If Thiesman really said this, he was either (1) referring to days when players weren't wearing helmets, or (2) referring to the field position as opposed to field goal distance (at the 35 yard line, it's a 52 yard field goal).

Reactions: STL_Cat

From UPI..Sept 29, 1984....

'Burditt fell barely short with a 39-yard field goal try with two seconds left in the game Saturday to let No. 17 Notre Dame escape with a 16-14 victory over the Big Eight Tigers. It was only the second time in his four-year career Burditt had missed from inside of 40 yards.'

Happens all the time.

No, no it doesn’t. I’ve watched hundreds of CFB games and have never in my life seen it happen. Short, let me reiterate SHORT on a 43 yarder. Not left or right, but SHORT. One more time, SHORT on a 43 yarder. Not left or right. That’s something you don’t see happen. You just don’t. Point blank. Period. Never. There we go. I believe the announcer in the game said he’d never seen it either. Like I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone even having to defend this point.

Reactions: STL_Cat and KYNC89
From UPI..Sept 29, 1984....

'Burditt fell barely short with a 39-yard field goal try with two seconds left in the game Saturday to let No. 17 Notre Dame escape with a 16-14 victory over the Big Eight Tigers. It was only the second time in his four-year career Burditt had missed from inside of 40 yards.'

I think if you’re having to back to 1984 that should give you a pretty decent idea of how rare it is lol

A lot of people in this thread are lacking in reading comprehension or just suffer from a lack of football knowledge. The issue with Butler’s miss was that a 43 yard fg shouldn’t be a problem with regard to the distance, which it was because he was short. You don’t see kickers come up short from that distance unless the kick is a shank, kicking into a strong wind or partially blocked. None of these were the case obviously.

ya had Austin and this guy is what you got out of coaching a great kicker? Somebody failed at recruiting. Big time miss. I'm sorry but it is what it is.

Enjoyable thread to read :)

Any placekicker at a school like Kentucky should have no problem hitting a 43 yarder. I know he doesn't have much distance to begin with, but I'm not sure if maybe he took a little bit off to make sure he didn't pull it left or if he truly can't hit a 43 yarder.

Chance Poore might not be the answer right now, who knows. I would look at Grant McKinnis too. He was a better high school FG kicker than Poore in HS (more accurate and longer FG's).

Been a lot of wide rights and wide lefts thru the years. But I don't honestly remember a lot of shorts from that distance! I am sure no one feels worst than Miles. Next game up!!

Reactions: Bank Cat
A rushed kick? Oh, my bad, I thought the defense always tries to block a FG.

I’m seriously looking around right now wondering if I’m on Punk’d. Amazing how many people are not getting the point here.

Come on out now, Ashton.

The problem was easy to see - we took the ball out of our best football players hands on 3rd and 2. I would have rather watched Benny run it twice to get that two yards. Poor play call, that lost us the game.

Matter of fact; Gran screwed the pooch on that drive with a few minutes left to get into field goal range. Would we have made the field goal - don’t know.

It's also practice, not with the pressure of the game on the line.

WOuld be like saying why can't a basketball player shoot 75% on threes in game when they can make 75 out of 100 attempts in a shooting drill in practice.

Lol. Thanks for your insight.

I think if you’re having to back to 1984 that should give you a pretty decent idea of how rare it is lol
I agree it is rare. Very. But some in this thread have said that it has never happened. The '84 game was one documented time. I imagine there's more.

Butler's high school bio....

High School
  • Three-year starter at Paducah Tilghman under Coach Randy Wyatt, who played at Kentucky in the 1990s
  • Finished his career as a kicker with 212 points, the most in school history
  • Holds school records for longest field goal (49 yards), most field goals made in a season (13) and a career (26)
  • Ranks fourth in the state for field goals made in a season and is fifth in field goals made in a career
  • Two-time all-conference selection
  • Also a starter in soccer and a pitcher/utility player in baseball
  • Named Mr. Tilghman, and was selected as the Paducah Sun Teen of the Year for 2013-14
  • Graduated as Tilghman’s salutatorian with a 4.0+ grade point average
  • Member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club and Student Council
Could it have been a mis-hit? Surely not.

Reactions: jauk11
Back in the early 1990s I went to see Danville play in LaRue County, I think. It was a play off game.

LaRue had this kicker feels rom Spain who reportedly could put kick offs through the uprights.

In the 4Q, though, in a tie game, he missed a FG wide.

Danville won.

I always felt kind of bad for that kid.

Last edited:
Not going to read through 3 pages of this stuff. We all knew his range was limited. If you want to gripe about his accuracy fine but the staff thought he would hit it from there. They are trying to save Chance for games where we need one outside Butler's range. The kick was right down the middle and he was a tad short. Probably needed a TD there anyway. He's trying his best so UK can keep Chance's redshirt so leave this kid alone. Good grief.

Not going to read through 3 pages of this stuff. We all knew his range was limited. If you want to gripe about his accuracy fine but the staff thought he would hit it from there. They are trying to save Chance for games where we need one outside Butler's range. The kick was right down the middle and he was a tad short. Probably needed a TD there anyway. He's trying his best so UK can keep Chance's redshirt so leave this kid alone. Good grief.
Lol, Ok

You are spot on....people saying it happens all the time are dead wrong...it does in HS football but not Power 5 college football. Butler hit that sucker head on, perfect placement, perfect height and all...just thats all his leg can do.

Sure, guys miss FGs from any range very often but most either go wide left or right or shank it. However, I honestly don't remember seeing any kicker worth his salt come short on a 43 yard fg in which he had a perfect strike.

No need to make fun of Butler, he is who he is. I just question how bad Poore is that he cant even get a sniff. I don't get RS a kicker...especially when the alternative is Butler.

Reactions: UKUGA
I think that the true point should not be the distance but the misses. Short, right or left they are all misses and count for no points.

What would you like better, a kicker who misses short from 42 yards or a kicker who misses left from 52 yards? Neither give any points on the board.

GO CATS

I think that the true point should not be the distance but the misses. Short, right or left they are all misses and count for no points.

What would you like better, a kicker who misses short from 42 yards or a kicker who misses left from 52 yards? Neither give any points on the board.

GO CATS
A 42 yard fg is much easier to kick than a 52 yard fg. The basic point being argued here is that a kicker at a FBS school, especially a Power 5 school like UK, should have the leg strength to make that kick always. It would be about the equivalent of having a qb that cant throw a pass over 20 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT