ADVERTISEMENT

The case for Drew

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
He’s a really good coach, and a really good recruiter. What he’s been able to do at Baylor is impressive. He is great at the portal. He’s one of 7 active coaches with a Nc on their resume.

Like any coach, you will get increased success simply by being at Kentucky.

He could turn it around immediately imo.

Edgecombe and 2 other 5 star Baylor recruits
A couple Baylor transfers off a top 15 team / 3 seed.
At least Quaintance and Perry stay committed
A couple top portal targets
A couple returners (Reed? Thiero? Z)

A guy who actually coaches and game plans on the sidelines.

It’s not as sexy as Hurley, Oates, Donovan, or even Pearl, but if we were to get Donovan for example, he has no transfers or recruits to bring. It’s basically a complete roster overhaul.

I think that equals less immediate success but likely more long-term success.

Drew is a good coach so if that’s the hire, I’ll be excited. Far more excited than if we were going into next season with Cal and 6 freshmen as expected.

He’s a really good coach, and a really good recruiter. What he’s been able to do at Baylor is impressive. He is great at the portal. He’s one of 7 active coaches with a Nc on their resume.

Like any coach, you will get increased success simply by being at Kentucky.

He could turn it around immediately imo.

Edgecombe and 2 other 5 star Baylor recruits
A couple Baylor transfers off a top 15 team / 3 seed.
At least Quaintance and Perry stay committed
A couple top portal targets
A couple returners (Reed? Thiero? Z)

A guy who actually coaches and game plans on the sidelines.

It’s not as sexy as Hurley, Oates, Donovan, or even Pearl, but he is a good coach so if that’s the hire, I’ll be excited. Far more excited than if we were going into next season with Cal and 6 freshmen as expected.
Quaintance is a Drew type recruit. Drew likes meaty physical players if given the chance. That usually translates to great defense. As long as they are also very athletic.

Last 5 years at Baylor, Kenpom end of season ranking

3, 2, 4, 16, 15

His floor at Baylor was a top 15 team.
With the resources that come with Kentucky his floor will take a significant leap.

He will likely field a top 10 team every year.

Reactions: KFuqua
If we can get a top 10 talent team, led by a guy who can game plan and is versatile in-game, plus a more team oriented culture, than I think we get back to Kentucky basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT