ADVERTISEMENT

Make the case for Drew

Imagine someone taking over Ole Miss when they were at their absolute lowest point, say after a murder investigation. One player kills another. That person takes over that program, which has no history to begin with, and starts having top 10 to 15 recruiting classes, goes to the NCAA every year, and wins a title. Now, give him UK resources.
Good explanation. Kudos 👏. Well done

Have a look at Drew's coaching tree. Then have a look at Calipari's. LoL!
Now imagine a guy that can recruit a #3 class nationally to the middle of nowhere that is Waco.
And yeah, he has a Championship ring. So what if it was won during Covid? What does that prove? It was a level playing field. Anyone could have won it.
I also like that he isn't all about being bigger than the program or NBA draft night. Players stick around to play for him and actually develop.
Shall I go on?

Plays multiple defenses
Can speak in complete sentences
Won’t be a Jack ass during halftime interviews
Won a title in 21
Very good recruiter
Will let us play in Maui
Will defend BLOB Plays
High scoring
Can bring a good recruiting class May keep some of ours
Was Louisville number 1 choice

He isn't cal. That's about the best I got

You shouldn't be excited about Drew to be honest. Personally I would rather have had Cal back for a year and find someone else a year from now than have Drew for the next five.

We'll be lucky if it's just five. He's young and close with Mitch. Plus we know Mitch doesn't want to fire his guys (ie joker).

Outside one year he's not been great and it isn't for lack of talent. So we could be staring at above average for 5-8 years.

The only thing that might change that would be Mitch retirement.

Doesn't he have Team USA ties and probably can afford to upgrade assistants here. I'm not one to judge so I'll give anyone a chance. Cal is gone and we are in this rebuild for a few years, it can be worse then Scott Drew. He's gonna build a solid foundation and it's not as easy as hitting the easy button. Let's all put in the work and earn it.

Yeah fans aren’t going to accept a rebuild lasting a “few years” This isn’t the football team.

NIL and Portal, a coach hired by a blue blood program should be competitive year 1 and at absolute worst year 2.

Reactions: cathouse
Pretend you're Mitch and you're selling Drew to BBN. Why should we be excited about Drew? I need to at least feel ok'er if/when the seemingly inevitable happens.

Someone explained that he was a couple injuries away from having a nicer tournament resume, and trying to pry the Big 12 away from Kansas isn't easy.

Sell me stock in Scott Drew...
Any decent coach should be able to win 1 or 2 tourney games with UK's resources. IDK much about Drew, but he seems to be a competent coach. Kind of like Dan Hurley before he had Uconn's resources. Except Drew's already won a title. If/when he's hired...guess we'll see.

Pretend you're Mitch and you're selling Drew to BBN. Why should we be excited about Drew? I need to at least feel ok'er if/when the seemingly inevitable happens.

Someone explained that he was a couple injuries away from having a nicer tournament resume, and trying to pry the Big 12 away from Kansas isn't easy.

He will drink tea with Barney.

This is our version of Rick Barnes.

He has a better resume than any coach UK has ever hired here upon arrival. Probably not my first choice, but on paper he is better than Pitino, Calipari, Tubby, Hall all of them.

gonna be honest idk.

Doesn’t he have one final 4 in like 20 years? That’s not good

Also won a championship during covid year so again did he really prove anything?

He had his best season the year we had our worst. Is that supposed to make him a bad coach or something?

Reactions: KFuqua
His teams compete and he coaches to win. Regular and conference titles matter to him. Cal didn’t care about any of that, we do. We didn’t care that he didn’t win more of them, we are frustrated because be didn’t care about creating the culture of winning by going all out and chasing those things.

Reactions: KFuqua and Kyhoward
Drew is not one of my top choices, but reality is setting in that we are moving to the next tier. Here are my positive thoughts:

1. 32-16 against top 25 teams the last 5 years
2. 5-5 in his last 5 years against Kansas. Only program without a losing record.
3. 3x Big 12 coach of the year in his last 5 years
4. 2 Big 12 titles in his last 5 years
5. National Championship in 2021
6. 0 losses against non power conference teams in his last 5 years

Plays multiple defenses
Can speak in complete sentences
Won’t be a Jack ass during halftime interviews
Won a title in 21
Very good recruiter
Will let us play in Maui
Will defend BLOB Plays
High scoring
Can bring a good recruiting class May keep some of ours
Was Louisville number 1 choice
#2 and #3 will be drastic changes for UK fans!

Imagine someone taking over Ole Miss when they were at their absolute lowest point, say after a murder investigation. One player kills another. That person takes over that program, which has no history to begin with, and starts having top 10 to 15 recruiting classes, goes to the NCAA every year, and wins a title. Now, give him UK resources.
What are Kentucky resources though. All I keep reading is NIL funding isn’t in great shape and recruits can go to any school and be drafted high. He’s had 3 top 15 classes but most were 40s and 60s and missed 8 tournaments in his 21 years at Baylor. Just getting to the tournament isn’t going to satisfy Kentucky fans and other than 2021 Baylor has pretty much just got to the tournament. They lost in the 2nd round to lower seeds the past 3 seasons. He has Baylor in basically the same position Cal had Ky and we’re assuming the school name makes it that much better but it’s a new day and our “resources” aren’t good enough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT