ADVERTISEMENT

The big run in the second half where we went from 5 down to 15 down

We should have neve been down that long to this team,

We don’t look like we had a plan for this team either.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's hard to excuse. I know Reed didn't have a great game.. but he's still a great basketball player who can provide in other ways.

Wagner and Edwards.. I'm not sure are great COLLEGE basketball players. Great AAU slam dunkers? Solid one on one playground ballers? Sure, I guess.

But we trash guys like Reeves, and Reed and Tre.. they don't disappear. They aren't SUPPOSED to carry the team.. guys like Edwards and Wagner are. And they were recruiting and courted to be as such.

Honestly think we'd be better off without both. I'll sacrifice those few games where DJ puts up 17 and 3 assists. I think we can do better with Dilly being point and everyone else getting more looks.

everyone’s probably going be a minus. Really curious about Wagner. I don’t know if he stopped his guy a single time. And they always seemed to open up the lead when he was on the court.
Wagner was was -9. Edwards -5. Bradshaw, who I am pretty sure you were saying a few days ago in another thread shouldn't play much now that we have Big Z was a +4! Big Z was a -13 though.

It's hard to excuse. I know Reed didn't have a great game.. but he's still a great basketball player who can provide in other ways.

Wagner and Edwards.. I'm not sure are great COLLEGE basketball players. Great AAU slam dunkers? Solid one on one playground ballers? Sure, I guess.

But we trash guys like Reeves, and Reed and Tre.. they don't disappear. They aren't SUPPOSED to carry the team.. guys like Edwards and Wagner are. And they were recruiting and courted to be as such.

Honestly think we'd be better off without both. I'll sacrifice those few games where DJ puts up 17 and 3 assists. I think we can do better with Dilly being point and everyone else getting more looks.
Rarely often do we agree on things, but we agree on this. I have been roasted for saying that we don’t need DJ.

But it is abundantly clear that we have a higher ceiling, and a much better chance of making a run in March with the other guards, larger roles, and more minutes. Unfortunately, the ship has sailed and Cal is going to run it aground.

Dilly
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell
Bradshaw or Big Z

Ugonna
Bradshaw or Big Z
Reed
Burks

Would do just fine.

And the fact that Wagner and Edwards have played themselves, and into being second round picks, after being predicted to be lottery, picks, confirms everything you were saying.

Rarely often do we agree on things, but we agree on this. I have been roasted for saying that we don’t need DJ.

But it is abundantly clear that we have a higher ceiling, and a much better chance of making a run in March with the other guards, larger roles, and more minutes. Unfortunately, the ship has sailed and Cal is going to run it aground.

Dilly
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell
Bradshaw or Big Z

Ugonna
Bradshaw or Big Z
Reed
Burks

Would do just fine.

And the fact that Wagner and Edwards have played themselves, and into being second round picks, after being predicted to be lottery, picks, confirms everything you were saying.

Coming around on thiero and Reeves I see!

We have to value basketball players and experience first and foremost.. even if those guys don't have as high of ceilings and can get exposed by the elite teams. Give me those guys all day. You just see something much more positive when Tre or Reeves is in there, even if their games are struggling.

Wagner was was -9. Edwards -5. Bradshaw, who I am pretty sure you were saying a few days ago in another thread shouldn't play much now that we have Big Z was a +4! Big Z was a -13 though.
Well, Ron, Tre Mitchell being -22 shows that plus/minus isn’t always the best barometer. What I would really really like to see (don’t know if it’s at all possible) is how many points DJ single-handedly gave up guarding his man and what FG% was shot against him.

It shows Tre Mitchell had a pretty rough game. Like most everyone else.

You were the one that wanted to see the +/-. Now it's not the best "barometer". Lol.

Dude, you obviously aren't evaluating talent for a living, otherwise you would have died from hunger a while ago.

Coming around on thiero and Reeves I see!

We have to value basketball players and experience first and foremost.. even if those guys don't have as high of ceilings and can get exposed by the elite teams. Give me those guys all day. You just see something much more positive when Tre or Reeves is in there, even if their games are struggling.
I’ve been one of Thiero’s biggest fans. I thought he outplayed Livingston and should’ve been a starter last year and he outplayed Edwards and should’ve remained a starter this year. When Bradshaw came into the lineup, and Trey was moved to PF, Adou should’ve been moved to SF.

I guess one of my issues with Reeves is that I simply don’t love shooters on any level of basketball. But obviously they’re pretty great when they’re on. And he is certainly not the weak link that Wagner and Edwards are.

It shows Tre Mitchell had a pretty rough game. Like most everyone else.

You were the one that wanted to see the +/-. Now it's not the best "barometer". Lol.

Dude, you obviously aren't evaluating talent for a living, otherwise you would have died from hunger a while ago.
Ron. Since this was your sixth post on this message board, could you tell us who you really are?

• Love
Bradshaw at least played hard and fairly smart.. he just had some mistaken and got bodied at times by a better defensive team. Also fouls too much and gets caught on over the backs.

But I'll take that over what I saw from Edwards and DJ.
Well, I think one of Cal’s major issues is that he still not realizing Bradshaw and Big Z are perimeter players. Our best back to the basket guys are probably Tre and Ugonna. What big Z did the other night was almost exclusively on the perimeter.

I’ve been one of Thiero’s biggest fans. I thought he outplayed Livingston and should’ve been a starter last year and he outplayed Edwards and should’ve remained a starter this year. When Bradshaw came into the lineup, and Trey was moved to PF, Adou should’ve been moved to SF.

I guess one of my issues with Reeves is that I simply don’t love shooters on any level of basketball. But obviously they’re pretty great when they’re on. And he is certainly not the weak link that Wagner and Edwards are.

.. why don't you like shooters? He's got about as proven and reliable of a 3pt shot as any one in basketball. Yes, when it's off, it's off.. but thats a lot of the best 3pt shooters, even someone like Curry. Mcgee was a real threat for Wofford when he played us in the tournament.. and he went 0-12.

I'd rethink this stance. I think we have to value 3pt shooters and offense in today's game. Defense has been neutralized in modern day basketball.

Ron. Since this was your sixth post on this message board, could you tell us who you really are?
I'm here just for the same reasons as most. I'm just pointing out you have a pretty weak track record with player evaluations. You should maybe leave that to people with a little better understanding of the game and just be an observer, like my wife.

.. why don't you like shooters? He's got about as proven and reliable of a 3pt shot as any one in basketball. Yes, when it's off, it's off.. but thats a lot of the best 3pt shooters, even someone like Curry. Mcgee was a real threat for Wofford when he played us in the tournament.. and he went 0-12.

I'd rethink this stance. I think we have to value 3pt shooters and offense in today's game. Defense has been neutralized in modern day basketball.
Love shooters. Not volume shooters. Prefer the guys who take less shots, but mostly good shots, to the guys who just keep launching whether it’s going in or not and whether there’s a hand in their face or not. No obviously there are players on this planet who you want to shoot no matter what, but Reeves is not one of them.

I do give him credit this year for taking more mid-range shots and becoming the three level scorer that he now is.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I'm here just for the same reasons as most. I'm just pointing out you have a pretty weak track record with player evaluations. You should maybe leave that to people with a little better understanding of the game and just be an observer, like my wife.
Speaking of her, I ran into her last week. She said she shaved off 30lbs and is down to 230. I’m envious.

Love shooters. Not volume shooters. Prefer the guys who take less shots, but mostly good shots, to the guys who just keep launching whether it’s going in or not and whether there’s a hand in their face or not. No obviously there are players on this planet who you want to shoot no matter what, but Reeves is not one of them.

I do give him credit this year for taking more mid-range shots and becoming the three level scorer that he now is.

Sadly I think we're realizing, just as Reeves is, that he has to once again be the teams savior, when he's really not supposed to be.

I figured DJ would be a supreme playmaker for others, Bradshaw a capable big, Shep getting lots of looks.

Instead, it's Reeves once again who is relied on to even keep us in games. No one else has proven to be capable AND consistent. Reeves is the only one.

Reactions: ala_kat2 and BCD
Sadly I think we're realizing, just as Reeves is, that he has to once again be the teams savior, when he's really not supposed to be.

I figured DJ would be a supreme playmaker for others, Bradshaw a capable big, Shep getting lots of looks.

Instead, it's Reeves once again who is relied on to even keep us in games. No one else has proven to be capable AND consistent. Reeves is the only one.
Dilly was pretty hot and Cal sat him. And I believe if Cal doesn’t sit Dilly against KU when he was cooking, we build up enough of the lead to win that one 🥲.

Dilly was pretty hot and Cal sat him. And I believe if Cal doesn’t sit Dilly against KU when he was cooking, we build up enough of the lead to win that one 🥲.

I do like Dilly a lot. A little erratic still, which is where Reeves gets the edge for me, as of now. But Dilly has talent and might be our 2nd guy.

But we really could use a true play maker.

I do like Dilly a lot. A little erratic still, which is where Reeves gets the edge for me, as of now. But Dilly has talent and might be our 2nd guy.

But we really could use a true play maker.
I don’t think it’s an either or thing. There have been games. We both have gone cold and there have been games. We’re both have been on fire. I think it’s about riding the hot hand and tonight, towards the end of the first half, the hot hand was dilly. But Cal benched him and Wagner bricked some shots, and then gave up a three at the buzzer.

Tre's face getting in the way of dude's elbow flipped the momentum.
About that play. Big Z did one Saturday by accident and they said regardless if it was intentional or not, if the elbow contacts above the shoulders it is a flagrant. Not sure where the in their space call came from tonight. There were several horrible calls.

About that play. Big Z did one Saturday by accident and they said regardless if it was intentional or not, if the elbow contacts above the shoulders it is a flagrant. Not sure where the in their space call came from tonight. There were several horrible calls.
I had no problem with the call tonight, and the commentators put the rule on the screen and it was pretty clear. He ran to the offensive player, put his hands on him and gave him no space to move.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I had no problem with the call tonight, and the commentators put the rule on the screen and it was pretty clear. He ran to the offensive player, put his hands on him and gave him no space to move.
The point is that if you are close enough to get an elbow, you are almost always in their space. It was a judgmental call at best.

Bradshaw at least played hard and fairly smart.. he just had some mistaken and got bodied at times by a better defensive team. Also fouls too much and gets caught on over the backs.

But I'll take that over what I saw from Edwards and DJ.
Interesting game from Bradshaw tonight. He played harder than he has played all year by a decent margin. Curious if that had to do with Z showing out against Georgia the other night and Bradshaw feeling he had to pick it up.

Interesting game from Bradshaw tonight. He played harder than he has played all year by a decent margin. Curious if that had to do with Z showing out against Georgia the other night and Bradshaw feeling he had to pick it up.
You never know what goes on inside another man’s head. Bradshaw is a second rounder and there’s nothing he can do about it at this point. Big Z is potentially a lottery pick and he doesn’t even have to do much else.

But if this is what is motivating Bradshaw, I’ll take it.

Reed was awful tonight. He looked scared the entire time. Never seemed to want the ball or look for his shot. He didn't deserve more minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT