ADVERTISEMENT

That’s what happens when you don’t start reed and dilly

DJ is playing better from a personal standpoint but even in our 2 last games against Texas A&M and Mississippi State, Wagner is -5 and +4 for a total of -1 when he is on the court. Sheppard is +4 and +21 for a total of +25 in the last 2 games. Is that more recent enough for you? Yeah, DJ is better at driving and creating his own shot. Wagner has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. So his ability to drive must mean he still misses close shots. His shooting percentage is actually lower in his last 2 games than it is for the season, which I already stated was the worst on the team. This is coming from a guy that can get to the rim. As a team player, it’s not even close how much better the team plays with Sheppard in. Jimmy Dykes said the other day that Wagners defensive statistics are among the worst in the league and that opponents are shooting at a very high percent when he is the primary defender. I think he said opponents were shooting 62% against him. Hey, but he is shooting 44% against them. DJs assist per game are among the worst for a starting PG under Calipari. Sheppard averages more assist, steals, rebounds, blocks, whether we are talking about averages for the season or the last 2 games. Even if Sheppard isn’t shooting, the team still has a better flow when he is on the court, and that’s what it is about. It’s a team sport. I wish there was a way to see what lineup had the best +/- together. With the significant difference between Wagner and Sheppard, it almost guarantees that Sheppard is bringing Wagners +/- up while Wagner is bringing Sheppards down.
The only reason DJ's numbers are looking much less than Reed is because he pushes/makes things happen. It is hard to make mistakes when you are simply passing the ball around the floor like Reed has been doing for the past several games. When you are driving the ball down the mouth of the beast against your opponents' starters, the game is a lot harder. However, DJ's aggressiveness is needed. If Reed isn't going to be more assertive and aggressive offensively like he was earlier in the season, coming off the bench is right where he belongs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Yeah whatever. No way, is Wagner a better point guard than Sheppard. You are taking one game and blaming it on Reed which is the only one that played good that day. He still had 6 assists and would have had 10 easily if others would have made their shots. Reed had 25 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. He led his team in all of those categories. Wagner couldn’t post those numbers in his dreams. If Wagner is so good at taking his man to the basket, which he is, then why does he have the lowest shooting percentage on the team. If his ability to drive is getting everybody shots, why is he 4th on the team in assists and one of the lowest assists guys for a starting PG in the Calipari era. Acting like Reed starting is the reason that we lost that game is just bogus when he was the only one that showed up. At his height and position, he shouldn’t have led the team in rebounds that game. He shot 9-17 for 53% while the rest of the team shot 15-42 for 35%.

Reed Sheppard has had a better +/- than Wagner in 12 of the 14 games they both played in and it’s not even close. I’m not saying Sheppard isn’t capable of having a bad game but the UNC Wilmington game was not his fault. Without Sheppard this team has 5 or 6 losses right now.
If you want Reed to start, I suggest you encourage him to stop with the passive game. He is way too cautious and unwilling to force the action. Reed is playing against the opponents' second string which should equate to a much more aggressive style of play, but it doesn't happen. For several games, I find myself yelling at the tv for Reed to shoot the damn ball. If he doesn't want to shoot, he is hurting the team because lesser shooters take the shots.

Last edited:
You know, at this point this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten to death again but I had one more thought after some reflection. Mainly for all the "it doesn't matter who starts!!!!" crowd.

I've realized that it's not necessarily who starts the game that's driving me crazy. If Cal wants to "wipe the slate clean" at the beginning of every game and keep the starting lineup exactly how it's been, whatever. That's one thing. I think the thing that drives me even crazier is that even after a full half of basketball, seeing the lineup combinations that absolutely are and are NOT working, that he comes back out in the 2nd half with the same starting lineup. That I think is more nonsensical to me. You just watched a full half of basketball. That starting lineup was not working. Conversely there was another lineup that was absolutely lights out. There's no rule that you have to start both halves with the same lineup.
You are correct! That 18-point half-time lead was erased so fast with Edwards on the court taking bad shots and committing turnovers I nearly forgot we even had a lead.

Last edited:
The only reason DJ's numbers are looking much less than Reed is because he pushes/makes things happen. It is hard to make mistakes when you are simply passing the ball around the floor. When you are driving the ball down the mouth of the beast against your opponents' starters, the game is a lot harder. However, DJ's aggressiveness is needed. If Reed isn't going to be more assertive and aggressive offensively like he was earlier in the season, coming off the bench is right where he belongs.
I like Wagner. He is all I expected him to be and maybe more. Still, it's hard to make a case that he is a better player right now than Sheppard or Dillingham. So I'd start them both along with Reeves, Mitchell, and whichever seven footer is best.

I like Wagner. He is all I expected him to be and maybe more. Still, it's hard to make a case that he is a better player right now than Sheppard or Dillingham. So I'd start them both along with Reeves, Mitchell, and whichever seven footer is best.
If you want to insert Dillingham for DJ, I have no issues with that because Dilly plays a similar game but provides better shooting. However, Reed with his passive play isn't there. He is currently trying to play too perfectly which isn't what this team needs from its point guard. Reed needs to take his open looks or come off the bench.

If you want to insert Dillingham for DJ, I have no issues with that because Dilly plays a similar game but provides better shooting. However, Reed with his passive play isn't there. He is currently trying to play too perfectly which isn't what this team needs from its point guard. Reed needs to take his open looks or come off the bench.
That still leaves Edwards starting and Wagner and Dillingham and Sheppard are all quite a bit better players than Edwards. It doesn't make sense to have two of our best 3 guards and wings coming off the bench. I think either Sheppard or Dillingham starting in front of Wagner should be considered but one of them starting instead of Edwards is just a no brainer.

If you want Reed to start, I suggest you encourage him to stop with the passive game. He is way too cautious and unwilling to force the action. Reed is playing against the opponents' second string which should equate to a much more aggressive style of play, but it doesn't happen. For several games, I find myself yelling at the tv for Reed to shoot the damn ball. If he doesn't want to shoot, he is hurting the team because lesser shooters take the shots.
How you can argue against the +/- stat. It is literally telling how many points your team scores more or how many less than the opponent when that player is in the game. I thought the point of the game was for your team to score more points than you are giving up. UK outscored their opponents more when Reed is in the game than it does with Wagner. It’s not just one game either. It’s consistently every game. People hate analytics but the plus minus is hard to argue against when it is consistently one way. Now if it was going back and forth it would be one thing.

Yeah whatever. No way, is Wagner a better point guard than Sheppard. You are taking one game and blaming it on Reed which is the only one that played good that day. He still had 6 assists and would have had 10 easily if others would have made their shots. Reed had 25 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. He led his team in all of those categories. Wagner couldn’t post those numbers in his dreams. If Wagner is so good at taking his man to the basket, which he is, then why does he have the lowest shooting percentage on the team. If his ability to drive is getting everybody shots, why is he 4th on the team in assists and one of the lowest assists guys for a starting PG in the Calipari era. Acting like Reed starting is the reason that we lost that game is just bogus when he was the only one that showed up. At his height and position, he shouldn’t have led the team in rebounds that game. He shot 9-17 for 53% while the rest of the team shot 15-42 for 35%.

Reed Sheppard has had a better +/- than Wagner in 12 of the 14 games they both played in and it’s not even close. I’m not saying Sheppard isn’t capable of having a bad game but the UNC Wilmington game was not his fault. Without Sheppard this team has 5 or 6 losses right now.
I'm not blaming Reed for losing that game but he doesn't drive. Our offense is garbage without someone that can drive. I'm sorry you can't understand that

All of those stats you just posted about Reed is why he needs to be off the ball. The offense was awful that game and it was because their was no penetration buddy

Stagnant passing around the perimeter is what we did the last 2 years, that's what happened when our best shooter played pg that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT