ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God for Rick and AD

You mean 45 year drought?
AD was great, but let’s not give him all the credit. Had some other really good players. One could argue Gilchrist was equally important, and those non freshmen were pretty damn good.
Was alluding to tubby winning with Rick’s players lol. Should’ve just said thank god for AD or it’d be going on 25 years.

I mean…we had 2 national titles and a runner up with 2 different coaches in the 90’s. I’m not sure why this discussion of Pitino’s players has shown back up again but it is beyond idiotic. Same with that 12 team. Yes, Davis was the star but it had numerous NBA guys on it. That’s what that team so deadly. They’d best you all over the floor all different ways. I’ve seen 3 titles in my 40 plus years of life. That’s pretty damn good.

This thread is weird and that’s saying something on here. And I’m probably top 10 in posters who wants Cal to pack his bags and go

I mean…we had 2 national titles and a runner up with 2 different coaches in the 90’s. I’m not sure why this discussion of Pitino’s players has shown back up again but it is beyond idiotic. Same with that 12 team. Yes, Davis was the star but it had numerous NBA guys on it. That’s what that team so deadly. They’d best you all over the floor all different ways. I’ve seen 3 titles in my 40 plus years of life. That’s pretty damn good.

This thread is weird and that’s saying something on here. And I’m probably top 10 in posters who wants Cal to pack his bags and go
So you think we win in 2012 with (replace AD with any big from the Cal era you want) and the rest of the team the exact same?

Not me.

So you think we win in 2012 with (replace AD with any big from the Cal era you want)?

Not me.
Yes, I think with Karl Towns they could have won in 12 with the rest of the ‘12 lineup. Hell, if Poythress doesn’t get hurt in ‘15 we probably finish up that run perfect too. Just like in 97, if DA doesn’t get hurt, we win that one too

Was alluding to tubby winning with Rick’s players lol. Should’ve just said thank god for AD or it’d be going on 25 years.
The 98 team was not overly talented. The best player on that team barely got a taste of the NBA. It was a team that couldn’t close the deal the year before with RP coaching, minus the best player from that team but plus the 8th man ftom the 96 team. Tubby won that title.

I'm not sure any argument on Kentucky basketball gets on my nerves more than this one. It would be hard to find another one since this team won the championship but the 98 team outplayed their talent more than any team I can remember. If Pitino would have left him the 96 team I might agree. I think younger people just think of the 96 team and think that translated to the team 2 years later. It didn't. 96 had a lot of players with long NBA careers. 98 had one and that was Nazr. I think Padgett played for a while but wasn't making any all star teams. Magliore was serviceable for a while (think he might have even made 1 all star team). There was no Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk. They were gone. Pitino may have won the title with them too but the thought that they were so much more talented than any other team in the game that year is laughable.

If you want to criticize some of Tubby's later work that's fine and there is a good chance I will agree. This title was by no means handed to him.

The 98 team was not overly talented. The best player on that team barely got a taste of the NBA. It was a team that couldn’t close the deal the year before with RP coaching, minus the best player from that team but plus the 8th man ftom the 96 team. Tubby won that title.
Um, see my post I just posted about the team not being overly talented but I do believe Nazr Mohammed has played more games in the NBA than any UK player ever.

And even without Derek Anderson in 97 title game. If Allen Edwards ankle wasn't so bad that he shouldn't have been playing but was that probably would have been enough to slow down Simon and Bibby enough.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Some of this narrative is a bit off, and you already know that.

The healthy side of the '97 team lost Mercer, Prickett, and Epps. Prickett, Edwards, and of course Anderson were hobbled in the tournament, and DA couldn't play at all.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, despite your effort to undersell Pitino's coaching job in '97, which is laughable given the limitations based on health alone for that team.

Plus, the '98 team added Sheppard (back from redshirt), Evans, Bradley, and had an improved version of Mohammed, Magloire, Padgett, Edwards, Turner, and Mills. Magloire went on to become an NBA All-Star. Mohammed played 18 seasons in the NBA. Padgett and Bradley were first round picks. That team had six NBA players.

The '97 team, with one All-American out of the game and two other rotation players hurt, still almost beat an Arizona team that featured four NBA players, including THREE lottery picks. Tubby won that title. On that point you are correct. But there's a reason he was able to take them as far as he did, and a reason he never returned to that mountain top once the last of Pitino's veterans washed off shore.

If you want a better comparison, imagine the '98 team without Sheppard and with Padgett and Mills playing through injuries. Now ask yourself if Smith could have taken that team to the finals and lost in OT.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Throw Joe B. in there or it would be a 65 year drought. Tubby won in 98, period. Rick doesnt get that win. That is just delusional reasoning by Rick fans.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I don't understand how constantly creating negative threads is any different than what HH was doing? At least his were positive.

Throw Joe B. in there or it would be a 65 year drought. Tubby won in 98, period. Rick doesnt get that win. That is just delusional reasoning by Rick fans.
Tubby definitely won it, with Rick's players, and once Rick's players were gone, Tubby never came close to that again.

There's a reason he never returned to the mountain top. Both men get credit for that title.

Thank God that we will never have the rooferee again!!
Why do we stop there? We need to be teetering on the legal/moral line to get more officials completely unable to be assigned to Kentucky games. Time for us fans to get OUR hands dirty.

And yes I know I’m a psycho.

Why do we stop there? We need to be teetering on the legal/moral line to get more officials completely unable to be assigned to Kentucky games. Time for us fans to get OUR hands dirty.

And yes I know I’m a psycho.
Glad he is gone.

Um, see my post I just posted about the team not being overly talented but I do believe Nazr Mohammed has played more games in the NBA than any UK player ever.
Um, I see your post, the one after I posted.
And he’s Nazr had a long nba career, but as a college player he was only slightly above average. Sheppard was the best player on that team. There were no all-Americans on that team, no one even close to that level.

Um, I see your post, the one after I posted.
And he’s Nazr had a long nba career, but as a college player he was only slightly above average. Sheppard was the best player on that team. There were no all-Americans on that team, no one even close to that level.
Semantics. We understand each other though.

Tubby deserves some credit. But the argument on this thing will never die. They were a different group from the yr before in 97. Still yet, they had the benefit of getting 2,3,,4 years under Pitino who showed them how to win big, so part of that 98 cake was baked just a bit before Tubby arrived, but he was the right guy to take it out of the oven though. He didn't burn it. Didn't mess it up.

Tub did it with a different style but I also think those guys had the benefit of having RP and to be so well conditioned as all his teams where and conditioning played a big part in that run down the stretch.

I think Rick should get some credit, Tubby should get some credit too. And the players told Tubby during the season that they was gonna introduce him to the President of US and they followed through and accomplished it so I say players deserve some credit for having work ethic and heart. Everybody wanted to win and they all played a part in it whether you hate Rick, Hate Tubby or hate em all. A lot of coaches could've screwed it up.

Tubby definitely won it, with Rick's players, and once Rick's players were gone, Tubby never came close to that again.

There's a reason he never returned to the mountain top. Both men get credit for that title.
Rick would not have won it with that roster. He had more in 93, 95, and 97 and didn’t win those years.
And I’m still pissed at Rick for not recruiting a backup PG for Turner, resulting in Tubby having to put Sual in that role, resulting in other teams using that against us on recruiting trail the next 3 years.

Yes, I think with Karl Towns they could have won in 12 with the rest of the ‘12 lineup. Hell, if Poythress doesn’t get hurt in ‘15 we probably finish up that run perfect too. Just like in 97, if DA doesn’t get hurt, we win that one too
Completely disagree with you there.

Tell me the difference between any of The good years we have had since 2010 and the 2012 team.

There is more talent on many other rosters, but there isn’t an Anthony Davis. Sure he couldn’t win it by himself, but how he controlled the defensive end of the floor made it almost impossible for that team to lose.

Don’t know a single player from the Cal era that could make that difference other than Noel, but he was even more limited offensively than Davis.

So you think we win in 2012 with (replace AD with any big from the Cal era you want) and the rest of the team the exact same?

Not me.
Don’t forget about the nba lockout that forced Lamb and Jones to return to school. THAT is the real reason Cal has a championship. Even AD wouldn’t have been enough without those 2 returning.

Rick would not have won it with that roster. He had more in 93, 95, and 97 and didn’t win those years.
And I’m still pissed at Rick for not recruiting a backup PG for Turner, resulting in Tubby having to put Sual in that role, resulting in other teams using that against us on recruiting trail the next 3 years.
Nope.

Rick went up against the Fab 5 in '93; Wallace and Stackhouse in '95; and Dickerson/Simon/Bibby/Terry in '97.

When Rick lost, it was to teams with a pulse, 1994 Marquette notwithstanding.

If Tubby was so wonderful, why didn't he ever get back to the Final Four with his own players?

Oh, and you blaming Pitino for Smith's failures at recruiting a real point guard is bizarre. I've never seen that one before, so congrats on the original construction of a deflective argument.

Tubby had his recruiting flaws. But he was a very good coach. As was Rick. But you can’t deny the 98 team had good talent, but not great talent like Ricks teams had (except 94). Rick himself has said he probably would not have won it with that team in 98. The players have said they turned it around that season when they stopped trying to play like they did for RP and they accepted what Tubby was trying to do. But no, you, one of the worst posters on this board knows better than the players.

As for the Saul thing, that has been well discussed on here many times, not my bad if you are too dumb to follow and understand it.

Tubby coached the games. Made great adjustments. Earned the title, even if it was with player Rick recruited.

Love what Rick did, but he lost in '97 with a much more talented team.

Reactions: JonathanW
You might wanna log off until we get a new coach.

You might want to get some high blood pressure medication and some antidepressants because it is up to our current coach when he leaves or a hell of a buyout by UK.

Or you could just have some perspective. Your post to kick off this thread shows you have zero.

Nope.

Rick went up against the Fab 5 in '93; Wallace and Stackhouse in '95; and Dickerson/Simon/Bibby/Terry in '97.

When Rick lost, it was to teams with a pulse, 1994 Marquette notwithstanding.

If Tubby was so wonderful, why didn't he ever get back to the Final Four with his own players?

Oh, and you blaming Pitino for Smith's failures at recruiting a real point guard is bizarre. I've never seen that one before, so congrats on the original construction of a deflective argument.
Arizona had everybody back from that championship team in 1998, UNC had NPOY Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Ed Cota, Shammond Williams, and were the number 1 overall seed, Kansas had Paul Pierce, Raef Lafrentz, Kenny Gregory, Nick Bradford, Lester Earl. Duke had Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Trajan Langdon, William Avery, Chris Carrawell, Nate James, Mike Chappell, etc... UK was far from the most talented.

I thought when Pitino left for Boston he pushed hard for Tubby to get the job. Donovan wasn’t then considered. I always thought that was strange, maybe ego.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT